• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I know, and Down of Dreams is my favourite in the franchise.

That's why I said the original three because they are numbered and treated as a trilogy... while DoD as another story or spin off.

If you played Dawn, you should know that it's a sequel to Onimusha 3 ;)

Didn't they completely change the soundtrack to avoid the Mamoru Samuragoch fiasco?

Of course. Nobody will touch anything made by that dude, especially in Japan. Everything done by that composer disappeared overnight.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the hell out of it, still haven't played it. Definitely want the rest, but I've been itching to play Dawn of Dreams most

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
If you played Dawn, you should know that it's a sequel to Onimusha 3 ;)

Of course. Nobody will touch anything made by that dude, especially in Japan. Everything done by that composer disappeared overnight.

That's just it thought isn't it, he did not make it - Takashi Niigaki composed the music and his great work got replaced with something else, I think giving the guy a name check and not letting his world class Resident Evil: Director's Cut Dual Shock ver. Soundtrack be the only thing he is known for! Seriously how did the man who compose this:

Also create this:

Anyway I always thought its such an underrated gem of an OST so did not have any interest in the remaster for its decision to remove it.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Remastered the wrong one, the original is by far the weakest entry. 2 and 3 is where it's at with Onimusha.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually a tetralogy with the forth being the best. There are also 2 spin offs (ps2 and gba)
Finally, someone who isn't afraid to say it. I loved 4 the most out of all of them and it was the only one I loved playing. Purists probably hate 4 for what it brought to the series but fuck that was the only Onimusha game I really ever liked playing. Even did the 100 level dungeon which I regretted at the time but I only did it cause I liked playing the game that much.

2 is the next one I would love to revisit the most if Capcom ever decides to remaster it as I never played it much when it was released and just skipped to the third game.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Lacked the Genma Onimusha(Xbox port) upgrades, improvements, and features.
Lacked the original OST(nostalgia loses without it)
Lacked the sequels as a bundle or even as a known possibility, making this standalone release feel inadequate.

Cassovia

Banned
Feb 16, 2018
It's shame that this remaster didn't get more recognition.

As was mentioned, there's a sale on EU PSN, so go and grab it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Finally, someone who isn't afraid to say it. I loved 4 the most out of all of them and it was the only one I loved playing. Purists probably hate 4 for what it brought to the series but fuck that was the only Onimusha game I really ever liked playing. Even did the 100 level dungeon which I regretted at the time but I only did it cause I liked playing the game that much.

2 is the next one I would love to revisit the most if Capcom ever decides to remaster it as I never played it much when it was released and just skipped to the third game.
Dawn of dream has the best combat and is packed with content. Way more playable characters that are very different and it is also a nice conclusion to the series. It comes back full circle story wise. I also did the 100 level dungeon and really enjoyed it. It's like a mash up of the entire series. I loved that you actually fight Garuganto in the dungeon instead of just a cutscene like in 3. In my opinion it is probably the entry that can stand the test of time the most in terms of gameplay.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bought in the current sale. Love the game, hopefully others get the ported as well. What I really want is some sort full-blown remake or reboot. Earlier this year Sekiro gave me heavy Onimusha vibes, and recently playing it again I can see the inspiration more clearly.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
LIke how do you release a definitive version of the game for current systems but leave out all of the bonus content, improvments and extra gameplay from Genma Onimusha?
Its stupid.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's been on sale numerous times on PC. I love the Onimusha series and would lap up a new release or remaster of the fourth game (never played it).
But I know that I'd never replay the original, so why spend the money on it?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As it stands, didn't it just receive a pretty basic upres and nothing else? If there was more done to it, it might have gotten more attention.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'd be particularly worth Capcom's resources to make major changes to the game's content or gameplay, but yeah, it really should've been Genma Onimusha. I still bought it, played through once, realized I absolutely didn't care to deal with finding all of the hidden Fluorite, let alone doing the atrocious Oni Spirits minigame again, and set it down.

I think - beyond remastering Genma Onimusha instead of Onimusha: Warlords - it also would've been a good idea to unlock Ultimate Mode (infinite magic, start with the Bishamon Sword) as a reward for beating Hard Difficulty, not as a reward for completing an utterly terrible minigame. That's how Onimusha 2 did it and it really felt best in that game. That, or some kind of straightforward new game plus, would have felt best and would not have required a ton of additional work on the part of the developers.

I'm definitely hoping that Onimusha 2 - if it's ever remastered - adds some kind of New Game Plus mode - all of the branching storylines (and the inability to unlock every single upgrade on a single playthrough) are really suited to it. Give me an excuse to play through a bunch of times, unlock all of the top tier equipment for every supporting character, max out everybody's HP and MP bars, unlock every single Necklace, et cetera. Keep the Rekka-Ken unlock behind beating Hard difficulty, that's fine with me. The missable content and gift-giving minigame stuff is definitely Onimusha 2's biggest flaw, and doing a better job of encouraging multiple playthroughs would be a great way to remedy that.

Dawn of dream has the best combat and is packed with content.
Ehhh... it's got the biggest total moveset but that doesn't mean it's got the best combat. The game is way too much about grinding higher stats/stronger equipment and not enough about your skill in combat; the fact that it's more of an ARPG than an action game automatically downgrades how good the combat can be imo. Not to mention that - in practice - the ACTUAL combat is just doing the magic chain issen move over and over again against literally everything in the game because it's easier and more overpowered than literally anything else you can do.

Definitely agree that it's got tons of content, though. I enjoy the way that different characters can unlock different paths and that you're encouraged to revisit older areas of the game to unlock previously unreachable treasure.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
In an era that is giving us things like the Crash, Spyro, and CTR remakes, it is hard to get particularly excited about an Onimusha port. Hell, it doesn't even have the effort put in as something like the recent release of Final Fantasy 12 or the Kingdom Hearts remasters. Don't even get me started on the Resident Evil 2 REmake; that project makes an Onimusha port look as exciting as white bread (and I am a fan of those games).

Oct 31, 2017
That's just it thought isn't it, he did not make it - Takashi Niigaki composed the music

Indeed but he didn't do it all by himself if I'm not mistaken, Mamoru Samuragoch directed him throughout. Even if that wasn't the case, his name is tied to this OST so it had to disappear.

It's a great OST at the end of the day and nobody'll ever experience it... Unless you go out of your way and buy the OG game or Genma :P

2 and 3 is where it's at with Onimusha.

Pretty sure you meant 2 and 4! :P

3 didn't age well with those first 3D environments, Paris/France setting and time travels LMAO

There are also 2 spin offs (ps2 and gba)

Two on PS2. You forgot a pachinko game :P

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's not as mainstream as RE and the old style of gameplay is a bit archaic nowadays. Simple as that.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I really, really liked the game back in the day but I beat it at least three to four times over the years and I'm good. It's not RE4 levels where I can eternally play it because it's so fucking engaging and timeless. It's probably still really good but it's not something I'm terribly interested in replaying several more times.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
In an era that is giving us things like the Crash, Spyro, and CTR remakes, it is hard to get particularly excited about an Onimusha port. Hell, it doesn't even have the effort put in as something like the recent release of Final Fantasy 12 or the Kingdom Hearts remasters. Don't even get me started on the Resident Evil 2 REmake; that project makes an Onimusha port look as exciting as white bread (and I am a fan of those games).
Yeah; I think the core concept of Onimusha remains an appealing one (accessible but still skill-oriented combat, the weird fantasy-horror-tokusatsu-history mashup).

I may be in the minority here, but I think the turn partly away from horror and a bit more toward fantasy in Onimusha 2 is actually a very good one. I think that Onimusha works best when it feels sort of like visiting a fantastical historical Japan but where there's beauty in addition to ugliness. I feel like if Onimusha ever gets revived as a franchise, there should be scary enemies *but also* a lot of environments that feel genuinely larger-than-life beautiful.

Clearly - between Nioh, Sekiro, and Ghost of Tsushima - a sort of larger-than-life historical-Japan aesthetic has come back into fashion somewhat, so I'd love to see Capcom bring back their own spin on this (Sengoku Basara doesn't fucking count lol). But I think - when they do - it shouldn't be all darkness darkness darkness. Fighting against fantastical (but still hyperviolent) yokai (who act like goofy tokusatsu villains in cutscenes, fufufu) is more aesthetically interesting to me than just darkness and grotesquerie.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
As it stands, didn't it just receive a pretty basic upres and nothing else? If there was more done to it, it might have gotten more attention.
Some of the Japanese voicework was rerecorded (rights issues?) and the soundtrack was redone (definitely rights issues). It has optional widescreen but it crops part of the image to do it so ymmv. There's some minor gameplay improvements too like quick melee/ranged weapon swapping and added analog controls (diaf tank controls) but otherwise it's just a general uprez yes.

Oct 31, 2017

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would have been more excited if it include the entire series, or at least bundled with the second game.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No Genma content is really weird. It'd he like if they'd released vanilla DMC3 rather than DMC3SE in the collection or just had the GC content for RE4 HD.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they completely change the soundtrack to avoid the Mamoru Samuragoch fiasco? Ridiculous considering it's one of the best PS2 soundtracks in my opinion... and a huge part of the nostalgia when replaying it every so often.

It was completely rescored by Rei Kondoh and his associated composers - I think the new soundtrack is fairly decent on its own, but I can definitely see how the original was a huge part of the game's identity; while the new one can't escape comparisons to Okami and regardless of its quality isn't what the original game shipped with.

It is really interesting to compare the two - how the rescore was done with clear reference to the original and the decisions it made, filtered through Kondoh & co's own styles.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm legitimately shocked at all the people in here acknowledging the fact that Dawn of Dreams is the best one.

Usually people unironically shit on it for its "anime story" and how the "weapons don't feel special anymore" as if the weapons in 1-3 were so amazingly unique

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it launch day, just haven't got around to playing it as I have a large backlog and beat it on PS2 originally.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Not having the Genma content, or being a collection of 1-4, means I still haven't picked it up despite it being pretty cheap.
onimusha.jpg

Regarding Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, don't forget-
http://www.theicecave.org/damage_co...i-the-demon-siege-and-the-dawn-of-dreams.html

"Most who dislike the game are western gamers, and there's a good reason for that: Capcom made some significant balance adjustments for the western version, many of which made the game an exercise in tedium. Techniques required more souls to purchase, meaning you'll have to grind for hours on end to afford the best ones. And that's worse since enemy HP was significantly increased, so some will take at least twice as long to finish. The bosses got a huge HP increase; you would have to dedicate at least an hour to take some of them down later in the game. Unfortunately, unlike Devil May Cry 3, it never got a rerelease to restore the Japanese version's sensible balancing."

I imported and beat the Japanese version (which has English support) and enjoyed it a lot after slogging through a few hours of the North American release.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I remember not liking Dawn of Dreams when I played it many, many years ago.
Can't remember why though.
I did like how the last boss was Fortinbras, the same as the last boss from 1.
Nice call back.

Edit: Reading the post above maybe it was the crappy balanced enemy HP.
I remember Fortinbras taking aaaaaaages to kill. I thought it was weird at the time.

Oct 31, 2017
Huh ?!

Like a direct sequel?

I don't remember that... did I miss something ?

It sounds like it lol

The main villain at the end of 3 is the main villain when you start Dawn.

Samanosuke is also one of the playable characters in Dawn.

"Most who dislike the game are western gamers, and there's a good reason for that: Capcom made some significant balance adjustments for the western version, many of which made the game an exercise in tedium. Techniques required more souls to purchase, meaning you'll have to grind for hours on end to afford the best ones. And that's worse since enemy HP was significantly increased, so some will take at least twice as long to finish. The bosses got a huge HP increase; you would have to dedicate at least an hour to take some of them down later in the game. Unfortunately, unlike Devil May Cry 3, it never got a rerelease to restore the Japanese version's sensible balancing."

I imported and beat the Japanese version (which has English support) and enjoyed it a lot after slogging through a few hours of the North American release.

I see you're a man of culture as well! :D

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I played it when it came out, and was hoping it'd lead to at least 2 and 3 getting remastered as well but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen at this rate.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Got it on day one, still waiting for other games to be remastered. Fix the subtitles Capcom this time.