• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm guessing the police dog kept smelling his stash of drugs so he had to get rid of it.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Get back on topic.

Surely the poster that posted "Oh shut up." should at the very least get given a warning for being hostile or does mean we are allow to make that kind of comment in any thread?

What's to stop me from responding from this comment with the same comment?

"You are with them 24 hours a day. It's like having a baby," Mr. Geraci said. "If you have a dog for nine years, you aren't going to get rid of a dog for no reason."

unless you have no heart.

No offence but a dog is nothing like a baby, though.

Welp, this thread really t
Because typically an animal is euthanize if he doesn't get adopted in four to seven days. Some shelters would even do it as short as two days if it is jampacked with animals already.

I see, then yeah the right course of action would probably have been to go back and ask around if anyone was willing to take on the dog.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This was my take as well. Dude realized he couldn't care for the dog. He didn't dump the dog on a corner or anything. He could have called around and asked for help finding it a home, but I don't think that's worth a demotion.
unless its a no kill shelter, youre risking big time an old dog not being adopted and subsequently being euthanized by dropping it off at a shelter. These dogs are considered family on the force, im sure finding him a surefire home would not have been difficult.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dick move, but I don't know if it deserves a demotion. The stupidly-influential and powerful police union will probably get it overturned.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Surely the poster that posted "Oh shut up." should at the very least get given a warning for being hostile or does mean we are allow to make that kind of comment in any thread?

What's to stop me from responding from this comment with the same comment?

It was extremely off topic and I prefer to handle things with modposts

PM me about if you want but I don't have the energy for an argument rn

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Taking a dog to a shelter is a shitty move. It's even shittier to do to a service dog.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You mean to suggest some detective who probably makes close to six figures cannot take care of a dog? Fucking Sally in accounts receivables fucking pays thousands in medication and surgery to save her pom pom. Get the fuck outta here.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
just goes to show how inconsistent they are when it comes to disciplinary action

a service dog deserves better but I'm with you, this may be a bit excessive
how is it inconsistent? Its not just a regular dog, its by most accounts one of their own officers. When police dogs get killed on duty they usually got the whole motorcade funeral as well. Im sure the department wouldnt have cared one bit if it was just a random pet.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Wow more punishment for this than killing a black person.

Damn.

giphy.gif

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You mean to suggest some detective who probably makes close to six figures cannot take care of a dog? Fucking Sally in accounts receivables fucking pays thousands in medication and surgery to save her pom pom. Get the fuck outta here.

It looks like detectives down in Jackson don't earn much. They'd have to be tenured and put in some significant overtime to break six figures. Though I imagine the cost of living is probably low, so it should work out.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
unless its a no kill shelter, youre risking big time an old dog not being adopted and subsequently being euthanized by dropping it off at a shelter. These dogs are considered family on the force, im sure finding him a surefire home would not have been difficult.
Oh, don't get me wrong. An email should have been sent. I just don't see this as demotion worthy.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how is it inconsistent? Its not just a regular dog, its by most accounts one of their own officers. When police dogs get killed on duty they usually got the whole motorcade funeral as well. Im sure the department wouldnt have cared one bit if it was just a random pet.
inconsistency in how they deal with wrongdoings towards humans and service animals

in this case the officer got demoted, but in some cases with humans they don't get jack shit except for a short suspension at best

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It looks like detectives down in Jackson don't earn much. They'd have to be tenured and put in some significant overtime to break six figures. Though I imagine the cost of living is probably low, so it should work out.

Okay I guess my point is that sure owning a dog especially a police dog can be expensive. But regular ass people in this country spend hundreds and thousands to try and save their dogs on the daily. He's stilll making way more than the average person in the city he lives in.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Okay I guess my point is that sure owning a dog especially a police dog can be expensive. But regular ass people in this country spend hundreds and thousands to try and save their dogs on the daily. He's stilll making way more than the average person in the city he lives in.

I wasn't trying to defend the guy. I think what he did was rotten, especially given the circumstances. I was just pointing out he's probably not big-balling with a fat salary and mad overtime like detectives make in major cities.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he could not handle the dog he should not have taken it home permanently. The Police Union as always making lots of excuses. Dogs will eat their own shit. They can handle pretty much any dog food. If the dog gets super sick and you cannot afford treatment that is when you make the sad but understandable choice to put it to sleep.

Union going out of its way to blame everyone but the officer for the situation

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The police departments should continue to pay for medical treatment (within reason) for the dogs until they die. This guy sucks but I was legitimately surprised that the departments don't help with vet bills.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Police dogs are not regular dogs and shouldn't be with someone who doesn't know the deal. Im pretty good friends with a K-9 cop partner and he loves his dog but he's not a normal dog.

So this guy sucks for doing that to his partner, he sucks for not being reasonable and telling someone at the department, and he sucks for not informing the shelter.

The department should pay for all the care of these service dogs too. I'm surprised that's not the case.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Dude went back to patrol duty?

Feel sorry for the innocent people he's going to take out his frustrations on.

If someone is willing to do that to a dog of 9 years, that dude must have no conscience.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The department did the right thing. This dog didn't deserve to end up in a shelter without someone being notified first.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If the Departments are really seriously about providing a good retirement for their dogs, they should make financial assistance available to their care takers. It sounds like the dog gets a golden collar and is passed off to an officer/trainer and then good luck.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
User Banned (5 days): Hostility, ignoring staff post.
I know black people get treated like crap I see it everyday and everyday I get in those peoples face about how they are treating black people. In this case we are talking about an innocent dog. Race wasn't even mentioned in this story stay on topic please
Go fuck yourself.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
What was the ethnicity of the demoted cop?

Just asking questions.

Don't you ever tell me to shut up. You listen here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these dogs are just used as tools to 'get the right perp' anyway. their accuracy is quite suspect and the trainers abuse their trust to get false alerts so they can do illegal searches.

it's not shocking that the officer would ditch the poor animal the first chance he got after it no longer was a useful tool for them.

HyperCroutons

May 25, 2018
New York
Glad the dog got adopted, I would never do something like this especially to a K9 dog who's essentially your partner in the field. Maybe it'll be better for the dog in the long run because this officer didn't seem to care for him so maybe the new family can care for him better. Also as someone who works in law enforcement all K9 officers I met care for there dogs alot better than this guy does.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Why would your first thought not be ask someone else on the force if they wanted to adopt Ringo? I get that the one officer was his partner 24/7, but surely other officers would have come in contact with Ringo and thought he was pretty awesome. C'mon!

I don't agree with demoting him over it unless there are strict stipulations on how to handle retired police dogs. It's shitty behavior, but that's punishing the officer's home life. What he did wasn't illegal - again unless there are rules/laws for the job that say otherwise which I'm not familiar with.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
If he didn't want the dog, he should of offered him up for adoption, perhaps to other officers. Also, you hear of police dogs, service dogs, Don obedience schools...why not cats??