• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
New York Times
cvqsx8x.jpg

In October, the Jackson Police Department in Mississippi announced the retirement of Ringo, a yellow Labrador retriever with a nose that could detect the faintest smell of drugs. After nine years with the narcotics unit, the department said, he would be going home with his partner, a detective in the department.

But Ringo ended up somewhere else, the police department announced last week. His handler, Officer Carl Ellis, quietly took Ringo to an animal shelter in a suburb of Jackson, where he waited for weeks for someone to adopt him. A police officer in the suburb texted a photo of Ringo to Randy Hare, a dog trainer in Jackson, Mr. Hare said in an interview on Monday.
He recognized him immediately. Mr. Hare had trained Ringo and another dog, a German shepherd named Alpha, for the Jackson Police Department about a decade ago. Mr. Hare said that while Ringo waited for adoption, the shelter's administrator started to suspect that Ringo might have been a former police dog and sought the help of an officer who ended up messaging him.

"Why would he turn his back on the dog and surrender his dog like that?" Mr. Hare said, referring to Officer Ellis, in an interview on Monday. "I never dreamed in a thousand years that he would pull this. I thought he would at least call me first and let me help him." Mr. Hare picked up Ringo about a month ago from the Webster Animal Shelter in the city of Madison, where he had quickly become playful friends with the shelter employees, and took him home. The shelter did not return a call seeking comment on Monday.
Days later, the department's chief, James E. Davis, found out about Ringo's situation and demoted Officer Ellis, a police spokesman said. "He wasn't pleased," the spokesman, Sgt. Roderick Holmes, said in an interview of the chief's reaction. "We treat our canines like we do any other officer with our department."

Officer Ellis was removed from the narcotics investigations team and assigned to patrol duty, Sergeant Holmes said. Officer Ellis could not be reached for comment on Monday, and Sergeant Holmes said he was not authorized to speak to the news media about the episode, which was under internal review.
While law enforcement agencies pay the veterinary bills for dogs while they are on the force, many departments stop covering them after they leave, said Richard Geraci, a trustee at the Retired Police Canine Foundation. Former police dogs can require expensive food, and their treatment for common ailments, such as cancer, can cost thousands of dollars, he said. "At least once a month, people whose dogs have cancer and can't afford it, they call and they are destitute," said Mr. Geraci, who is also a detective in the New York Police Department and has a police dog.
The Retired Police Canine Foundation helps pay veterinary bills for about 30 to 40 dogs a year from donations it raises, Mr. Geraci said. The foundation, which was started to support New York officers with retired dogs, has assisted law enforcement officials across the country, he said. Last week, Mr. Geraci said, he read a news article about Ringo and tried to contact Officer Ellis. He wants to know why he would give up on him.

"You are with them 24 hours a day. It's like having a baby," Mr. Geraci said. "If you have a dog for nine years, you aren't going to get rid of a dog for no reason."

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The dog gave good years of service, he shouldn't be surrendered like that. Like the trainer said, he should have just called him before dumping him at the pound

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guy is a fucking scumbag, but the article does bring up a good point. Why to K9 Officers not get a pension to ensure they have a good life after they retire?

kylecoley182

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know black people get treated like crap I see it everyday and everyday I get in those peoples face about how they are treating black people. In this case we are talking about an innocent dog. Race wasn't even mentioned in this story stay on topic please

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
I know black people get treated like crap I see it everyday and everyday I get in those peoples face about how they are treating black people. In this case we are talking about an innocent dog. Race wasn't even mentioned in this story stay on topic please
Called out for saying stupid shit: "uhh stay on topic pls"

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I think on the topic of police being punished due to their actions I'd say it's perfectly on topic.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why he got demoted. If the guy can't afford to look after the dog, I am guessing that was the reason here, then isn't it better that he took the dog to a shelter to be rehouse than abandoning it into the street. Though the better option would have probably been asking anyone on the force if they were willing to take the dog off his hands.

Though the article does highlight that there needs to be more support from the police force after the dog retires, especially if it gets costly.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Ok... so some context. Dogs go to shelters very very often. This dog did, it got picked up and readopted by one of the officers. It even sounds like the dog had a fun time in the shelter according to the article. The article also mentions that the penalty for the officer for sheltering was demotion. Seemingly a heavy penalty which is rare among the force. So the topic is also repercussions for police misjudgment or wrongful action no? On the topic of how police are penalized for misjudgment, wrongful action, or mistakes, this stands in very stark contrast to what is the norm of nearly no penalty for the wrongful death (I repeat DEATH) of a human, child or adult. So, it is hard to talk about the themes of this article without addressing this massive contextual conflict. Would you agree?

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These stories are bad enough usually that my first read was that the dog got demoted. Glad to see he got punished but they really should be instituting some form of basic insurance coverage, it looks like for a dog that age it'd come out to like $2000, which doesn't seem like a budget buster, given that Labrador Retrievers generally don't often live past 15 years.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
"You are with them 24 hours a day. It's like having a baby," Mr. Geraci said. "If you have a dog for nine years, you aren't going to get rid of a dog for no reason."

unless you have no heart.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the union to release a statement about how he's being punished before all facts are out and how the weak chief is folding to public pressure.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why he got demoted. If the guy can't afford to look after the dog, I am guessing that was the reason here, then isn't it better that he took the dog to a shelter to be rehouse than abandoning it into the street. Though the better option would have probably been asking anyone on the force if they were willing to take the dog off his hands.

Though the article does highlight that there needs to be more support from the police force after the dog retires, especially if it gets costly.
This was my take as well. Dude realized he couldn't care for the dog. He didn't dump the dog on a corner or anything. He could have called around and asked for help finding it a home, but I don't think that's worth a demotion.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
While law enforcement agencies pay the veterinary bills for dogs while they are on the force, many departments stop covering them after they leave, said Richard Geraci, a trustee at the Retired Police Canine Foundation. Former police dogs can require expensive food, and their treatment for common ailments, such as cancer, can cost thousands of dollars, he said. "At least once a month, people whose dogs have cancer and can't afford it, they call and they are destitute," said Mr. Geraci, who is also a detective in the New York Police Department and has a police dog.

So this bit is implying the officer couldn't afford to keep the dog, right? Maybe it's just an assumption on their part.

Still a dick move, pretty sure that could have been handled by the police department, as in assigning him to someone who can afford to care for the dog.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Welp, this thread really took a sudden turn.

Because typically an animal is euthanize if he doesn't get adopted in four to seven days. Some shelters would even do it as short as two days if it is jampacked with animals already. Even if small, I wouldn't just give him up to an animal shelter to die.