• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i posted this interview in another thread a while ago, but i hadn't actually fully listened to it. now that i have, there's some interesting stuff in it that i think fans of the game would find interesting.

paraphrasing some of interesting parts:
  • swery contacted him on facebook a few years ago saying he's working on a sequel, then last year they contacted him to come to LA to record VA since the story was done.
  • originally the game was supposed to be announced in may or april of last year in a game conference in san fransisco (i assume he means GDC in march but got the time wrong?), and he was supposed to do the announcement with swery, but it was delayed last minute.
  • he teases that there are multiple versions of york in the sequel.
  • he recorded his lines for the original game years before release, but then he had to re-record around half of his line when the game was reworked from rainy woods to deadly premonition, because they ran into issues with the producers of twin peaks.
  • he doesn't remember there being any major changes to the story from rainy woods to deadly premonition.
  • he thinks the sequel is on a whole another level and that swery has really outdone himself.
  • for the first game, since there was a big language barrier he wasn't really able to communicate well with swery, but for the sequel they were able to communicate more easily since swery's english has improved a lot.
  • says york still talks about different movies and directors in the sequel.
  • didn't record too many lines for side content this time, thinks the sequel is much more plot heavy and singularly focused on the main story.
  • for the sequel, he thought he knew what was happening when recording his lines but was dead wrong when he was told by swery where it's going.
  • says since you go back and forth between two different worlds and timelines, the game feels much more expansive than the original.
  • when recording for the first game, he remembers swery always showing up in rented american muscle cars (since they couldn't get them in japan).
  • he last heard there might be more news coming in january (the interview is from december 2019), but obviously that didn't happen. later in the interview says the wait is probably not gonna be that long.
  • the game is not just "let's send york on a different mission", swery really went at it differently.
  • he'd be up for a remake/remaster of the original, since he thinks things can be done better now that he and swery can communicate better.
  • he also talks about working on seaman and space channel 5.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is great
"when recording for the first game, he remembers swery always showing up in rented american muscle cars (since they couldn't get them in japan)."

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty insightful details overall regarding Deadly Premonition that i sure as hell didn't know before. Going to catch this after I get off work. Good find OP.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
d6240gw-e5b5f31b-8df9-4ac8-8da1-c157817b8824.gif

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I still love the song in the credits of Deadly Premonition sounds incredibly similar to Laura Palmer's theme but with lyrics that actually still say Rainy Woods lol

Cant wait for Deadly Premonition: The Return.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what am I looking at here? Is this an early version of the original?
Yeah. Different main character, George looked younger, twin short men in a red room instead of twin kids in a forest. Other than that it's the same as the finished product. I don't think they changed the story all that much from this trailer to the finished game.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this! Sounds really promising.

I especially love that York talking about movies is back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Interesting that he gets the impression that this one is more linear, I hope they don't abandon the whole open town system with all the citizens having their different daily schedules around town. It seems like The Good Life is really focusing on that aspect so hope it shows up in DP2 as well, was a major part of the game's appeal IMO.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that he gets the impression that this one is more linear, I hope they don't abandon the whole open town system with all the citizens having their different daily schedules around town. It seems like The Good Life is really focusing on that aspect so hope it shows up in DP2 as well, was a major part of the game's appeal IMO.
based on the trailer and screenshots the game still has an open world, but yeah i too hope it's not too linear. that'd kinda make an open world pointless.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Somehow the original thread went right by me and nothing was popping up no matter what I searched, and this interview just got in the news today. I've merged the threads however.

The repost I did as a topic:

Over this weekend Whitney and Danny, who run Welcome to Greenvale/Deadly Premonition Archives held a 24 hour charity stream. During the stream, Jeff Kramer, the voice actor of Francis York Morgan, came on and was part of a 2-hour interview. There is a lot of interesting things he shares about the original game that makes the entire interview worth watching if interested, but he also shared a few details on the sequel, which makes this the first news we've heard since the reveal trailer so I believed it deserved its own topic.

-Swery contacted him on Facebook a few years ago to let him know the sequel was in the works.
-Kramer recorded all of his lines in LA about a year ago.
-The game was originally supposed to be announced at GDC and Kramer was supposed to announce it with Swery, but that didn't end up going through.
-Kramer says there's multiple versions of York in the game, and he voices all of them.
-He shares a lot on the original game and having to re-record half the dialogue when it went from Rainy Woods to Deadly Premonition, but he doesn't remember there being any huge story beat changes between the version.
-Kramer really likes the story of Deadly Premonition 2 and thinks Swery outdid himself.
-Kramer says Swery's English has improved a lot since the first game, which made communication much easier for the sequel.
-Confirms York still talks a lot about movies, directors and movie trivia in the sequel.
-Kramer thinks the sequel is much more plot heavy than the original, with a bigger focus on the main plot than side stuff this time.
-He mentions the actual number of lines he had to record wasn't as many as the original game, and when he recorded the lines he thought he knew where the story was going, but turned out to be "dead wrong".
-Confirms the sequel takes place between two different worlds and timelines.
-He doesn't want to spoil too much about the game, but says this game isn't just about "sending York on another mission." Swery tackled the sequel very differently this time.
-Kramer confirms he's completely game for voicing York in the future if Swery ever needs him, even if they were to remake/remaster the original game or the like.

A bit light, but the most we've gotten so far.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nice, a few places have picked up on this thread and have posted the interview and my summary. some places do it without giving a link to the thread tho :/