• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was on a build site today, and a 13 year old girl came into the site crying. She said she was afraid of her family, specifically her mom and godmother.

She said she did something bad but didn't tell us what, but that they would "lay hands on her."

I'll say that our immediate crew was all white, and the general reaction was that we should call the police. I was very hesitant to do so because I feel that if we did, her family might just take it out on her. Especially given the neighborhood we were in I don't think the police showing up at this girl's house would be a good thing for anyone.

This is sort of a tricky situation to describe, but one of the supers on the site happened to be of the same ethnicity as this girl.

This is all relayed from her after she talked to her and the girl left.

She came and talked to her and found out that this girl was talking to a boy she wasn't supposed to be talking to, and it was discovered that she had written some very awful things about her mom in her diary.

Basically her reaction was girl, go take your lumps. You don't talk shit about your mom like that who takes care of you and expect nothing to happen. You don't run away and there isn't anything for you here. You either go back home or you go somewhere else.

The girl actually did seem to kind of pull it together and stopped crying and went home.

Now, I think this is actually a good outcome, as I don't think calling the police would have done any good for anyone.

Like I said this is kind of a hard thread to make, as I don't really have a point. Just that it was an interesting experience. Like it made me think physical punishment is actually a lot more common than I would have thought. At the same time I don't think the police getting involved and then who knows what after that makes the situation better.

Also, in my state, limited physical punishment of a child is actually legal (and it apparently is in a lot of states). Given the lack of real detail we have here I can't exactly say if what this girls punishment would theoretically be legal or not. And I'd say that's another reason to not call the police. It's very possible they would have just made things dramatically worse for this girl.

Just kind of a story for the day I guess.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
what ethnicity? i can definitely tell you that some people have normalized physical abuse in their culture. shit like the chancla.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Police can make things worse in the short term but physically hurting a children is never an acceptable outcome.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
As you say, it's a very delicate situation. If it would have been me (and I say this without having been there), I think I would have called the police. The child did made an effort to reach out, and in my experience it rarely happens until there a real chance of something weird going on. But again, I wasn't there...

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Social services should be called . The racial cultural issue makes it a sensitive one, but the potential victim is the child here

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're going to catch a lot of heat OP. I don't want to get banned so beyond that I'll just say you seem like a good, thoufhtful person

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As you say, it's a very delicate situation. If it would have been me (and I say this without having been there), I think I would have called the police. The child did made an effort to reach out, and in my experience it rarely happens until there a real chance of something weird going on. But again, I wasn't there...

Right, it was basically call the police or let her go home. Given all of the context I hope we made (or more so the site super who spoke with her the most directly) the right call.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Social services can escalate it farther than calling the police but with less potential harm all around, it is a tricky place to be in.

In the past, there may have been community elders or leaders like pastors to ask for some private non-aggressive intervention but such a thing no longer really exists in modern urban society.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just police or nothing? Social services exist for a reason.

I honestly did look into that but at that point the super was already talking to her away from us. The detail I have is from the super after the girl left.

I also have very little real understanding of what would happen if social services were called. I don't know what the process is and all of this happened within a window of about 5-10 minutes.

I can't say a social services process would be better for this girl or not, and I was not the person making the ultimate call on this.

Also, yes, from my searching the police would refer this to social services in my state. Contacting them directly would not have elicited any kind of immediate response and I was not in a position to collect the information required to even contact social services.

If y'all are going to blame me in this thread, I would ask that mods kindly close the thread. I thought I would share an interesting story of something that happened today and admittedly I know it's touchy, but given the limited interaction I had and the way events unfolded, I can't say what the right call was especially given the actual legality of child punishment in this state.

Y'all don't either.

So stop telling me I should have done something differently or mods please close the thread.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I honestly did look into that but at that point the super was already talking to her away from us. The detail I have is from the super after the girl left.

I also have very little real understanding of what would happen if social services were called. I don't know what the process is and all of this happened within a window of about 5-10 minutes.

I can't say a social services process would be better for this girl or not, and I was not the person making the ultimate call on this.

If y'all are going to blame me in this thread, I would ask that mods kindly close the thread. I thought I would share an interesting story of something that happened today and admittedly I know it's touchy, but given the limited interaction I had and the way events unfolded, I can't say what the right call was especially given the actual legality of child punishment in this state.

Y'all don't either.

So stop telling me I should have done something differently or mods please close the thread.

I think that's an interesting conversation. I don't have the feeling anybody is blaming you. I sure don't.

But if you rather close the thread, your call.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017

Y'all don't either.

I'm definitely not blaming you or saying you had bad intent. Just something I thought of. My mother was a social worker a while ago, and the laws may vary by state/locality, but the police only went with her if there was reason to fear for her safety.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Also, yes, from my searching the police would refer this to social services in my state. Contacting them directly would not have elicited any kind of immediate response and I was not in a position to collect the information required to even contact social services.

Y'all don't either.

girl, go take your lumps.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
girl, go take your lumps.

I didn't say that and it was relayed after the girl had left.

And that's actually an interesting part of the story. It's a 3rd party saying that. Part of why I made the thread. It seems like it's more common than I thought.

And then reading our laws, depending very specifically on what the punishment is, it's legal.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly fuck your super. Take your lumps and don't talk shit about your mom and just take the abuse. Fuck outta here with that.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah mods please close the thread.
girl. take your lumps.

you were uncomfortable intervening because the girl was a different ethnicity and you couldn't think of any other option in the moment besides calling the police. people in this thread suggested in the lightest way I may have ever seen on this site that you could maybe have thought of calling social services. and your reaction is "SHUT IT DOWN"?

you're not being blamed, it's your own touchy ass that's feeling guilty.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
girl. take your lumps.

you were uncomfortable intervening because the girl was a different ethnicity and you couldn't think of any other option in the moment besides calling the police. people in this thread suggested in the lightest way I may have ever seen on this site that you could maybe have thought of calling social services. and your reaction is "SHUT IT DOWN"?

Again, isn't it the police that usually deals with social services? Especially in the kind of situation the OP was in? It's not like anybody at the build site could have waited a few days/months for a social services representative to arrive...

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
girl. take your lumps.

This is extremely hostile and I wasn't in a position to make that call.

Status
Not open for further replies.