• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
She's in high school? There's something on her account about going to prom. Unless that's a joke?...

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
also... sorry to bump again... but LOL at her entire account being ALL pictures of herself except for one post showing the twin towers engulfed by flames with a "Never forget!" post.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same thing as your generation but it's just smaller scale.
Instead of one big celebrity like JLo promoting their product to make you feel/evoke their glamour, you have someone else on a smaller scale that will do it instead. It's more relatable for people too because they use social media and interact with fans while living the fantasy that you want. Since it's not someone that's as big as JLo, they feel they can achieve to get on the same level.

Same shit, just marketed different.
I dunno, I think it's legitimate to find this shit weird and stupid. With JLo for instance, it makes sense that someone would be interested in her perfumes that she makes and promotes, she's a famous celebrity who's worked with many designers and has herself somehwat of an experience with that product, and would surely have qualified people making her perfumes. Not only do you get to "smell" like JLo, but you also know there's at least some quality to the product; "she knows what she's doing". This is why her perfumes are actually very successful, and Justin Bieber's perfumes, for example, went no where.

Now, if this girl was an actual aspiring designer who sow and sketch and maybe even worked with experienced designers, then yeah it would make sense for her to start selling clothes and for her followers to support her and buy her stuff. But this clearly is not the case, as with most of these "influencers", it's a cheap moneygrab.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Know a YouTuber with 3 million followers who started a patreon and couldn't get more than 60 people to sign up for 5 bucks per month for her page. Weird but people are just used to getting free shit.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Or she bought followers.
And done.

Back in my IG account selling days it was always the women with the high followers count that would have a meltdown when they wouldn't get purchases or stuff off their wishlist.
It was always the smaller accounts with better engagement that would be more successful at that.

OP
OP
Deception

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
You have ZERO clue how much work it is to be a successful online personality.
You are absolutely right that it is extremely hard work along with a combination of luck and timing. Reminds of the story of the woman who put herself in debt trying to portray the "perfect IG lifestyle"

Although her social media life looked glamorous, she was struggling financially, given that her internship only paid for a transportation stipend. Living off her savings, she also got a part-time retail job. Even after she moved back to Miami and landed a full-time publicist gig, Calveiro sank $10,000 into debt trying to live an Instagram-worthy life.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...lead-the-perfect-social-media-life-2018-03-03

This isn't a thread to bash anyone or a veiled attempt to throw shade at those trying to succeed as an influencer/online personality, but instead an attempt to show just how hard it is to make a living out your following and just because you have a high number of followers, doesn't mean it will translate to financial success.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Artists often experience something like this. It's easy for people to vote in merch polls and comment saying they'd definitely buy a shirt or charm but often people don't put their money where their mouth is. Out of a hundred people chiming in about what they'd buy maybe 10 actually step up.

That said her product line is pretty plain and yeah, doesn't look like something she'd wear.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Looked at her Instagram and it's not shocking. She barely posts (142 posts ain't shit), and when she does it just looks like normal, boring selfies. How in the world did she get so many followers in the first place?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Boy that's one ugly-ass brand and some ugly-ass clothes if I've ever seen them... maybe make something that's actually desirable next time?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Sabastian Bach of Skid Row fame talking about something similar years ago. He essentially was asking why he has a million followers, but his last album sold only a few thousand copies. It is kind of weird. Like, 1% of your fans are actually supporting you. And odd thing.

TIL Skid Row still exists.

But yeah this influencer nonsense is stupid and i hope it goes away.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Most content these days is stories. No one cares about the feed.

That does reflect her level of engagement with both her content and her followers. Which is fine if everything was all for "fun" and likes, but she shouldn't have expected to earn any significant revenue from it.

Oh, well, lesson learned. Hopefully, a business degree of some sort is in her future.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
She looks cute. Most people are following to see pics of good looking people. This is obvious right?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This makes me feel a lot better at the sales of a book I self published and spread word about on Facebook. Nearly 600 friends 30 copies or so sold so far. 5% is compatively amazing.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Yes, you saved me some typing!

There are alot of people in this thread are super-toxic about this, and alot of veiled "I'm mad that women are able to make money from posting pictures"! Like, every career, every company has good and bad people. To run with this one person when 99% of women do it the right way is questionable. Like someone even made a comment related to women that do fitness wearing "overly tight clothes"...really? There is the promotion of products, but the vast majority is just expressing ones self while getting support or supporting other women. If you are judging someone on Instagram/Snapchat/Youtube solely by the thirsty dudes commenting there, then that's on you. That's not the reality.

This is a young woman trying to make a career for herself. She made a minor mistake but otherwise seems to be fairly successful (I bet this is the real source of anger as well). You all put up with commercials and advertising and crap all the time...sometimes being angry when a game/movie/whatever isn't "promoted" how you want...arguing on if a movie will make billions or not...but let a teenage/20-something girl try to advertise something and it's OMG this is so disgusting! Like really? HOW DARE YOU MAKE MONEY FROM PICTURES YOU POST OF YOURSELF!

It's fairly obvious sometimes that the only difference between this place, and the other place, is that people here have the "right" answers at the "right" time for certain issues. I'm sure this very same topic is there getting the same type of comments there. It's one thing to say "wow she shouldn't have done that"...you guys are trying to "bully" someone (she isn't here of course) for doing something that has brought an economic windfall to many people of different backgrounds that would be further marginalize otherwise. And yes, that includes Youtube, Soundcloud, Twitch, and any other venue that allows people to express themselves and GOD FORBID make a living.

This thread is one step away from "girls only make money in entertainment because they are pretty" or "this person only got the job because they are pretty"!

But hey, you are better than the other place by being passive aggressive instead of aggressive, and making veiled statements instead of overt statements, so good on that! /s

(And if this doesn't apply to any post someone made here, let it fly)

This is a gargantuan stretch. Criticizing influencers isn't an attack on women.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I find subscriber count on twitch and patreon much more impressive. That shit actually requires people money to subscriber.

Using follower counts on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube as a means to justify marketing potential can easily be faked.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean, fan shirts are one thing, clothing lines which look like normal stuff you could get in every single clothing store are another.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is a gargantuan stretch. Criticizing influencers isn't an attack on women.
Come on man, don't do that...no one is talking about the valid criticisms... I clearly said if it doesn't apply let it fly. Look at all the code language and innuendo here. Some people are just saying it in a passive way... It's not cool. It's that white liberal toxicity where you have the "right" answers and say things in the right way. There hasn't been one thread nearly this long based on male influencers.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Most content these days is stories. No one cares about the feed.
I don't think that's true. It's still important to have some permanent posts, and a lot of folks don't look at stories. Seems like you have a better chance of getting seen by someone scrolling down their feed.

Also gives them a chance to be part of a discussion. So the poster can engage openly with their followers. Posts matter.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me feel a lot better at the sales of a book I self published and spread word about on Facebook. Nearly 600 friends 30 copies or so sold so far. 5% is compatively amazing.
Can relate to that. I have over 1,000 and many off them don't buy my books. So I market to other places now, just random genre readers. Still trying to get a Bookbub.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like such an old man when it comes to how social media evolved. I don't understand Instagram or Snapchat at all.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I don't think that's true. It's still important to have some permanent posts, and a lot of folks don't look at stories. Seems like you have a better chance of getting seen by someone scrolling down their feed.

Also gives them a chance to be part of a discussion. So the poster can engage openly with their followers. Posts matter.
It's not really a matter of opinion.

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
Stuff like this is doubly frustrating for me. I have my own brand that by all accounts is pretty successful yet when ever i talk to licensing agents or companies all they can ask is how many followers i have. The truth is i don't have loads, certainly far away from 2 million. They don't ask me how much money i make, how many shirts i sell, only how many people follow me. They don't even care about engagement, just the number of followers you have. It's so backwards and disheartening for me.

For example here's one of the many shirts i sell. I've certainly sold way way more than 36 despite having a tiny "following" compared to her yet all these companies who have the contacts and the ability to take my brand to where it needs to be look down on me because i don't have loads of followers. What i do have is very high engagement, a true fan base and fans who actually love and want to support what i do. But that doesn't matter compared to buying a bunch of followers in the corporate world it seems.

Still even with 2 million followers she should have easily sold more than 36 of a design as if i can do it with a tiny fraction of that you'd think with 2 million people even she'd have a tiny fraction of people who'd purchase them.
fuzzballs-yummy-things-kawaii-shirt.jpg

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not the same thing but I have/had worked on multiple 6-figures Facebook pages that would get thousands, tens of thousands of likes at each post. Tons of comments, lots of shares. Then we'd organize meetups, start selling merchandise, and we were lucky to have a dozen people involved overall. The last meetup on one of the 200k+ page had a whopping 4-5 people coming directly from the fans (the rest were buddies of mine), the one before in a far bigger and more relevant town still only got to like 10.

Liking a post in boredom, sharing a funny photo on your profile, watching a video... it's totally not the same as wanting to actually spend money on said content. A healthy reminder.

It's because of how easy it is to follow, like, subscribe etc. Most people don't give those actions much more than 5 seconds of thought and people are often following lots of accounts with a lot of followers. Unless you can turn your account into a business involving ads, then no one should think having a lot of likes and follows means that it will translate into something.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Is that clothing line trying to be a throwback? That is absolutely hideous and severely dated haha but I know things come back around.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I feel like such an old man when it comes to how social media evolved. I don't understand Instagram or Snapchat at all.

Yep. I'm a member of a social group on Facebook and about once a week someone will post something to the effect of "post your snaps here! Let's get chatting!"

And I'm like, Facebook has a fucking messenger app...WE CAN TALK RIGHT HERE.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah.... I've been laughing and scratching my head at the same time since this profession was labeled "influencer."
if we called it "social media marketing" it would sound like they were about to snap out an ad for essential oils or bad leggings.

what am I saying? half of them are probably also in MLMs anyway.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this is doubly frustrating for me. I have my own brand that by all accounts is pretty successful yet when ever i talk to licensing agents or companies all they can ask is how many followers i have. The truth is i don't have loads, certainly far away from 2 million. They don't ask me how much money i make, how many shirts i sell, only how many people follow me. They don't even care about engagement, just the number of followers you have. It's so backwards and disheartening for me.

For example here's one of the many shirts i sell. I've certainly sold way way more than 36 despite having a tiny "following" compared to her yet all these companies who have the contacts and the ability to take my brand to where it needs to be look down on me because i don't have loads of followers. What i do have is very high engagement, a true fan base and fans who actually love and want to support what i do. But that doesn't matter compared to buying a bunch of followers in the corporate world it seems.

Still even with 2 million followers she should have easily sold more than 36 of a design as if i can do it with a tiny fraction of that you'd think with 2 million people even she'd have a tiny fraction of people who'd purchase them.
fuzzballs-yummy-things-kawaii-shirt.jpg
Yeah, but the thing is, your shirt is actually something people would want.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As was talked about yesterday in the social media follows thread, I'm guessing 99.9% of The follows are just bots and/or people using mass follow lists, interested in seeing the engagement % on their posts

I'm guessing I could sell 36 shirts on my Hockey twitter with 3k followers

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, from the looks of it, the clothes aren't even hip. Just a low-effort attempt at streetwear.
Yep. This isn't difficult.
Contrast that with this dude Jose who does this TeachingMensFashion YouTube channel, who has his own basics clothing line that's perpetually sold out. Because it's apparently high quality and markets directly to what he's teaching people to wear. It's like basic business. Similarly, the AlphaM guy has a few different product companies that are specifically geared toward what he teaches (skin care and hair products), so he can effectively advertise on his channel.
These clothes this girl made are complete garbage.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of Daym Drops. Dude has almost a million subscribers but when adpocalypse happened and he went to patreon...only 13 people signed up. It's better to have hundreds of die hard fans than millions of fair-weather ones.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Her biggest gain from all this is being called an influencer by the « articles » that mentioned her. Should have just called her an Instagrammer or something.