• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I love how the kid read him immediately and gave him the mic. knew he wanted to talk some shit

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he was a real dick when he was younger. He's a bit cringey still, but it seems like a lot of it is directed towards worthy causes now.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
It's not punk rock if you aren't a dick.

Luckily Rollins is a cool guy these days

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Oh man, nothing better than someone that hates your guts for no reason and you just don't give a shit. Reminds me of highschool parties.

Dec 6, 2017
US
"Henry being Henry" yup, that sums it up.

He still kind of is but any old Black Flag footage I've ever seen where Rollins opens his mouth, he's insufferable and self-aggrandizing to the point where you wonder if it's self-parody or some weird sense of humor.

This one probably takes the cake though actually just because he's partially trying to muscle up on this scrawny kid.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
My man lived directly across from my dorms in NYC when I went to college my freshmen year.
My roommate was a massive Blag Flag / Rollins Band fan.
Let's just say when my roommate finally worked up the nerve to share what a fan he was, Mr Rollins was not gracious at all.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
My first non-musical exposure to him was that infamous salty anti-DJ rant from his standup and he just came off like a huge ass

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I made it 3 minutes in. Rollins just keeps trying and that dude just keeps blowing him off.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It was that testosterone chile....his aggression was low-key a turn on. I fell down a rabbit hole of 90s videos of him years ago and I was into it smh smh smh

I thought his book Solipsist was good too. Everyone should give it a read.

Oct 30, 2017
henry rollins is a pretty inspiring guy IMO. not going to hold him being an edgelord in his younger years against him.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a lot going on here. Guy was super defensive and standoffish in his day. haha Being a scenester back in that day probably broke your brain in a specific way.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I always found it weird that he essentially looks like a white supremacist. Lol he even played one in Sons of Anarchy.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Rollins was a total punk/scene gate keeping prick, there is lots of this stuff online from back in the day because he sure loved the attention.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
The kid should've done what Al Pacino did to him in Heat

tumblr_inline_nz7rhlABWl1tuvuzt_500.gif

Dec 6, 2017
US
This is it, I'm going for the random name-drop!

I was really into scene shit back in the day and the coolest people I probably met were Lux and Ivy from The Cramps. I had the pleasure of hanging out with them for a while at a bar once.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Rollins vs. The World was his schtick. Heck, he used to fight his audience during shows. He's matured though.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
In his defense isn't he like 21 or 22 in this clip? He is probably just t a few years older than the young guy doing the interview.

Jul 16, 2020
I saw him do cringey spoken word poetry in the late 90s. He always wanted to be smarter than he is. But he seems to be a pretty good guy now.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
As an FYI, the "new girl" at the beginning won an Oscar for her sound editing work Mad Max Fury Road.

Kira Roessler. She rules.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Being a huge NIN fan, I hated Rollins for years after Reznor said he was shitty to them at like Lolapalooza '91 or something.

His cameo in the first Jackass movie softened my view on him a bit.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah. Rollins was very young and immature at that time too. He has become less of a venomous person over the years...and he is quite open about his personal change from being the young douchebag rockstar wannabe, to...moving away from that with age.
Black Flag was kind of Rollins' first actual job. He was basically a child star, who came into this already established hardcore punk band/scene and had to grow up around a lot of debauchery and douchebags who were definitely not looking out for him and you can tell he had to put on this air of super-masculinity, and such to kind of cover for his insecurities.

I'm just saying, after seeing all the posts (rightfully) defending Brittany and and other child stars over the years, it's weird that the same kind of understanding and empathy can't be applied to another kid who made it big before they had time to grow up, like Rollins.

Last edited:

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Kira did editing for Fury Road?

I never knew that. Big fan of hers.

Yep, it's kinda crazy. Her brother, Paul, is awesome, as well. Especially his involvement with the Screamers, which is basically the best band ever to never have an official release. Until this March, at least

Another good one:

PS: If you haven't watched Nardwuar interviews, he's an utterly amazing interviewer despite his antics.

Nardwuar is so great. I second this recommendation.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Rollins was very dumb, he grew into an interesting guy, though...the talk show he did was actually very compelling, it was real conversations and not just bullshit PR stuff. The one with William Shatner (who I just realized will soon be 90 years old, wow) is especially good, they don't mention Star Trek once, it's all about many other things.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I remember thinking fuck that kid when I saw that video years ago, gonna see if it still stays true.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I remember my friend went through liking him for a bit and there is one song I kinda liked from him. But we went to a concert he was openng at and he went on a rant about posers or some shit like that and totally turned me off (I really dislike people who focus so much on if some one is a "poser" or not.Let people like what they like without having to prove themselves to be "true fans"). Gave me the impression he's trying too hard to be "cool" and an asshole.

I gotta give that kid in the video kudos, he was really good with rolling with it (at least from what I saw, only watched half).

Oct 27, 2017
Rollins schtick is great in the same vein that 80s/90s campy action and B movies were: the edge was in earnest in a pre-internet era of naivete. This can't be emulated in good faith today where people should know better. Unlike a whole lot of other people from that era, he's done a great job moving on and getting up with the times. He also seems like a good guy at heart who constantly battles his inner demons to keep them in check: see pent up rage and aggression. He had a really fucked up traumatic experience in his late 20s where he was nearly murdered but got away while his friend and roommate was not so lucky (he was shot and killed by the same people chasing Henry as part of an armed robbery). So along with mental illness, this dude is definitely battling very real PTSD.

Edit: apparently he was also sexually assaulted as a child and teenager. He seems like he's been through a lot of fucked up stuff.

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Rollins schtick is great in the same vein that 80s/90s campy action and B movies were: the edge was in earnest in a pre-internet era of naivete. This can't be emulated in good faith today where people should know better. Unlike a whole lot of other people from that era, he's done a great job moving on and getting up with the times. He also seems like a good guy at heart who constantly battles his inner demons to keep them in check: see pent up rage and aggression. He had a really fucked up traumatic experience in his late 20s where he was nearly murdered but got away while his friend and roommate was not so lucky (he was shot and killed by the same people chasing Henry as part of an armed robbery). So along with mental illness, this dude is definitely battling very real PTSD.

Edit: apparently he was also sexually assaulted as a child and teenager. He seems like he's been through a lot of fucked up stuff.
Yeah. Let's not dogpile on Rollins