• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
will it also have the other Xbox One X enhancements like better framerate, textures, lod etc.?
eXm9j2i.png

www.xbox.com

Xbox One X Enhanced Games List | Xbox

View the full list of Xbox One X Enhanced titles. Xbox One X Enhanced titles are optimized to take full advantage of the 4K gaming experience.

like Fallout 4 that has Dynamic resolution, better draw distance and god rays on the One X.
or Middle-Earth: Shadow of war that has dynamic resolution scaling, increased draw distances, better texture detail, better shadows and lighting, more vegetation.

Itll have all the One S enhancements, seems alot of ppl dont realize the One S actually did enhance games lol See below

Any enhancements the Xbox One S does, the Series S will also do, but a bit better, so lets say the One S boosted a dynamic res game to 1080p, but it would sometimes dip to 720p in intensive areas of the game, the series S will boost it to 1080p more consistently, an probably will be locked to 1080p in comparison, same with the framerate of games, if a game was dipping below 30 on One S, it'll probably locked to 30 on series s. Enhancements like that, the One X was boosting games to 4k though, thats really the only major difference.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I wonder if someone actively tried to use the word Xbox as many times as they could without the sentence becoming incoherent

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you can't tell the difference between Series S and Series X then Im not sure you are going to care that Series S plays Xbox One S games over Xbox One X games.

Also isn't it kind of embarrassing that a games editor for a prominent game site is confused by this?

It's not really complicated.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
"The Xbox Series S plays Series S, and Series X games as well as Xbox One, Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games with improved visuals and performance."
Jesus this a horrible sentence to read

I have no idea what these xboxes play anymore. I don't even understand how the BC works. Can I put in my old Xbox discs into the console and play those games or not?

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
If a parent is buying a Xbox Series S for their kid I assume they don't care about Xbox One X enhancements.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The article headline is dumb, and no consumers will ever hear this statement.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Any enhancements the Xbox One S does, the Series S will also do, but a bit better, so lets say the One S boosted a dynamic res game to 1080p, but it would sometimes dip to 720p in intensive areas of the game, the series S will boost it to 1080p more consistently, an probably will be locked to 1080p in comparison, same with the framerate of games, if a game was dipping below 30 on One S, it'll probably locked to 30 on series s. Enhancements like that, the One X was boosting games to 4k though, thats really the only major difference.
Yeah, that's what I thought! Thanks for the explanation.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
not sure if it's because i know what they are talking about, but i got it just fine. Btw, the article it self is meanless, because i just mean "a console that is not meant to play 4k will not run 4k patchs of BC"

Jul 4, 2018
Parent/ Grandparent: "Whats the difference in Xboxes? Do they play the same games?"

Clerk: "One is 4K and one isn't. They play the same games and are identical otherwise"

Parent/ Grandparent: "Give me the cheaper one, Timmy doesn't need 4K"

The end... that's literally what will happen in stores this holiday.

Actually you'll find it will go like this

Grandma: Hello there young man, will Timmys copy of Fallout 3 operate at 2160p?
Clerk: I'm extremely confused
Grandma: It's quite simple, will Timmys copy of Fallout 3 operate at 2160p or does it utilize the same level of backwards compatibility as the Xbox One S?
Clerk: Xbox One S...Series S...I'm sorry I havent been trained to distinguish products that i'm selling
Grandma: Heh, didn't think so kid, now i'm so confused and i'm going to buy the Xbox One X that you're not selling. You've ruined Christmas, nothing personal.

Oct 29, 2017
I read reset eta and didn't really follow or read the Xbox threads. I was seriously confused with the console model names with Xbox one x and one s then into series x and s. Calling it something slim and something xcel or something would help.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"All Xbox Series consoles play next generation and current generation games, as well as certified OG and 360 games. If you want to game in 4K or with the maximum bells get the Series X"

This really isn't that hard to grasp, but IGN are continuing on this clickbaity FUD campaign.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
That people outside of this forum are allowed to joke that systems like Vita, Xbox One and Wii U did not make it into popular culture and are forgettable. Also, jokes. We joke about this stuff all the time even on this forum.

This is embarrassing. If you think Brendan is biased you know absolutely nothing about him. Also, what exactly do you think he's biased for/against? This is nonsense.

If you cant see how his tweets come off at face value, than eh, i dont know what to say, at any rate, your right, i dont know him, can only judge by what i saw. Anyway not gonna keep derailing the thread with this.

Oct 27, 2017
Both new Xbox consoles will play old Xbox games at solid framerates, with better texture filtering, faster load times and the new HDR reverse tone mapping.

The new X console will also get X enhancements when playing old games.

I feel like this is a tricky thing to understand because it assumes you've been following the Xbox One X/PS4pro enhancements last gen. Most people don't care about what improvements they get with the X/Pro, they just know it looks nice on their 4ktv.

PS5 will play PS4 games in their PS4pro mode if the game has one.
Xbox Series X will play Xbox One games in their X mode if it has one. (With additional improvements)
Xbox Series S will play Xbox One games in their S mode.(with additional improvements)

I've said it before Microsoft needs to have a video that clearly communicated this so that outlets don't start confusing end users with unnecessarily messy info.

Oct 27, 2017
That people outside of this forum are allowed to joke that systems like Vita, Xbox One and Wii U did not make it into popular culture and are forgettable. Also, jokes. We joke about this stuff all the time even on this forum.

This is embarrassing. If you think Brendan is biased you know absolutely nothing about him. Also, what exactly do you think he's biased for/against? This is nonsense.
We get it he's your friend but he made stupid tweets that anywhere else we would say "boy he sure is a warrior"

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This specific issue won't matter to nearly all of the base for Series S, the only reason it's even a thing is because a forum like ours asks about it then it gets spread to twitter who eventually gets an answer then it spreads to IGN a eventually to everyone as a random rumor that the Xbox Series s can't play games or is weak.

The fact that games journalists can't understand it only further shows that nobody cares and makes you ask yourself will parents really be asking Bestbuy employees about this or GameStop people mention this while trying to sell a pro membership.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
"Xbox Series S will run Xbox One S versions of BC games with it's own enhanced feature set" is I think a more honest headline - but you don't get clicks from being succinct.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly can't believe people are accusing IGN of spreading FUD for this.

If you understand the differences between the two consoles, there's nothing confusing about what's being said; it's a descriptive tweet. The only confusion people are going to experience is that of people who don't know what these differences mean and the naming scheme differences between generations.

If people think that's FUD, someone at IGN must be playing a very long game by crafting accurate headlines that will nevertheless spread confusion among "non-enthusiasts". There is some bottom of the barrel commentary in this thread.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The people who wouldn't understand this also wouldn't care about the One X versions of games in the first place.

"Xbox Series S will run Xbox One S versions of BC games with it's own enhanced feature set" is I think a more honest headline - but you don't get clicks from being succinct.
Of all the criticisms of their headline I don't think a lack of honesty is a legit one lol. Nothing in the headline is wrong it's just bad to read.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's not convoluted. They both do the same thing but one does it better. You're not going to be talking about skus or letters, it's just Xbox. This game is on Xbox. Your old games work on Xbox.

That's not how discourse around XBOX has ever or will ever work. Especially in an enthusiast forum. Some of the sentences in this thread already involuntarily sound a lot like that "attention-seeking" headline from IGN.

I'm talking about "how" to talk about those consoles, especially in the cross-gen era. I don't have a problem understanding the details of BC/ content here.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I used to work retail when I was younger and it's really not that hard. Usually you just ask em if they want the new one and then in this case they would probably say something like I think its called the X or something and then you go the series X and sell em that lol. TBH the biggest thing during the holidays is the price. They usually ask stuff like whys that one more expensive and youd go "it does 4k, will look better, and has a disc drive." It's very rare anyones rolling in with some deep specification questions while also being totally clueless as to what the consoles are. Worst case senario they ask for the wrong brand name all together like an Xbox when they want a Playstation or Nintendo product. But overall, I don't see it being a problem especially when they hear them lower prices lol.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will, the Xbox branding is a clusterfuck at this point. I browse resetera everyday and even I am confused about these names.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft had it set up when they jumped from OG -> 360. They should've just called it Xbox 4 and avoid this whole mess. It's not FUD from IGN, it's an indictment of how confusing their naming strategy has been

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
All of this is dumb. That first article from the random website with the clickbait title. Now IGN a supposedly reputable website runs the story based off that headline and ads their own dumb ass confusing title.

I hate the gaming industry sometimes smh

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
There's an intern at MS banging his head against a wall after his proposal for "Xbox 5 S / Xbox 5 X" was rejected.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Microsoft should just include some Venn Diagram next to the XBOX section to make things more clear for parents who don't spend time on forums like these.

I'm sure PS5 disc/digital will cause confusion as well, not everything is "trolling".

How? They're same machine - one has a disk drive and the other doesn't.