• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Yep. They should just say "it'll play backwards compatible better than their original release" and be done with it. The disingenuity is chilling at times, particularly when we don't hear the same questions regarding PS4 compatibility.
Lol. I guess you haven't seen the concerned citizens wonder what "overwhelming majority" of PS4 game compatibility means when they announced PS5's BC.

Concern trolling is everywhere.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
You see Grandma the Xbox Series S can play all Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One S games as long as they are digital versions but not physical. It can't play Xbox One X games but it can play new X-Series S games but not X-Series X games

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You note in this comment, they're expected to do it during the workday. Completely consistent with what I said.

This is only the case due to lawsuits with people being made to work off the clock. Before this happened people would be made to do it on their unpaid breaks, afterwords they were made to come in on days off just to do the testing then go home.

Oct 27, 2017
People will pretend the names aren't confusing until there is an impact and then they'll pretend the names were always confusing.

We've seen this play out before.
Yup.

The naming sucks, full stop.

Hopefully there's no Xbox Ones on the shelves come this Holiday, so Aunt Martha and little Bobby can just pick up the "New Xbox" and not have to worry about any of this nonsense.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
This thread/ERA in general in a nutshell lol

I'm sure PS5 disc/digital will cause confusion as well, not everything is "trolling".

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Yeah, it makes perfect sense to us and other enthusiasts. For more casual audiences on the other hand... even my gaming friends didn't even understand what the Series X was because it sounded like the One X. Not everyone's life revolves around video games, unlike the newest phone model, cars and whatnot which you have to use every day.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better headline: "Xbox Series S is not 4k like the Xbox One X, but it is more powerful than the Xbox One X and the Xbox One S and can run Xbox games at 120Hz. However, if you want next-gen at 4K, you need the Xbox Series X, which is more expensive than the Xbox Series S but runs a resolution just like the Xbox One X, which already ran stuff at 4K but in the last gen"

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
What he's saying is the games will still have enhancements for BC, it will just be in line with One S enhancements, not One X enhancements, which is primarly 4K (hence why he says, "It just won't have 4K).
He's not confused though. The IGN article (you would know this if you clicked the article and didn't only read the headline 😂) states that backwards compatible games on Xbox Series S "will still be a step above the Xbox One S with "improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times, and Auto HDR."

Oh, I didn't know this and didn't click the article because I thought it was old news. I guess the biggest and most impressive thing with the One X was the resolution. I can't think of many games that had a significant bump in framerate from the 360 to BC on Xbox One, so I'm not expecting much there. Is anyone else expecting these to be huge enhancements over the One S? I'm not.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts and prayers to all the nans out there dodging covid while they try and buy the right Xbox for little Timmy this Christmas in a real scenario that I didn't just make up.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
When I go to that link I see the Xbox One X, S, and SAD. Nothing about the Series consoles. So they're still marketing the old boxes at some level.
www.xbox.com

Newest Xbox Consoles | Xbox

Explore the newest Xbox consoles. Experience next-gen gaming with Xbox Series X, or the all-digital Xbox Series S now available in Carbon Black with 1TB SSD.

Huh, I did an auto copy/paste and it grabbed the link to the One home page. Figures. :D Anyways, this is what you get when clicking on the Series S/X images on the home page.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is such a case of people being snide and deciding to not listen IMO.

Yeah, the naming conventions suck, but c'mon. Most people know what the One X is and how it runs games at a different solution than XB1. All it says is, the Series S will run the XB1/S equivalent solution with back-compat, whereas the Series X will play the One X setup for graphics.

I really don't see why people feel the need to make waves about not comprehending a piece of news. This is a circlejerk.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
ugggh...these guys are clowning around right?

"The Xbox Series S plays Series S, and Series X games as well as Xbox One, Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games with improved visuals and performance."

No other info is needed for grandma. They are adding minutia that means nothing n the end. IGN and their Xbox Unlocked podcast really has completely shit he bed the past couple years and this title is intentionally obtuse and negative for clicks.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh though Series S will have enhancements, just not 4k like Xbox One X lol

will it also have the other Xbox One X enhancements like better framerate, textures, lod etc.?
eXm9j2i.png

www.xbox.com

Xbox One X Enhanced Games List | Xbox

View the full list of Xbox One X Enhanced titles. Xbox One X Enhanced titles are optimized to take full advantage of the 4K gaming experience.

like Fallout 4 that has Dynamic resolution, better draw distance and god rays on the One X.
or Middle-Earth: Shadow of war that has dynamic resolution scaling, increased draw distances, better texture detail, better shadows and lighting, more vegetation.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh yes

the grandma that will ask the store clerk whether this play Xbox One games with X enhancements like the Xbox One X will be very confused!!

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that matters to the average soccer mom/great grandparent, "one plays discs the other one is all online."

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the naming convention is stupid.
No, if you don't understand it, you likely don't care.
Yes, IGN is desperate for attention.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I can't believe I understood it. I've never owned any Xboxes. That's what I get for reading Era all day every day xD.

Anyway they should have called it Xbox 5 and lined up the numbering.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Everyone wants to believe it's some conspiracy against Xbox when it's simply just confusing for anyone who doesn't follow this stuff daily or closely.

The name confusion is more than enough but now you're throwing 4K and not 4K and this box doesn't do what this older box does but it is still more powerful and people are just going to get annoyed. Or even ask if they need a 1440p TV to run the Series S.

You can call them stupid all you want, but this is a mess.
I'm not saying it's a conspiracy against Xbox. This is just how the attention economy works. It sucks that it comes at the expense of the user experience for actual people, but it's not surprising. I'm saying this is IGN's way of driving traffic - they made it confusing so people would dunk on it and click on it and share it and post outraged comments in the article... and they've done a tidy bit of ad revenue and free earned marketing in the middle of all of it.

It's stupid, but it works.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I think the naming scheme is terrible, but why would the backwards compatibility resolution/framerate stuff even come up for someone at a store?

It seems like a retail employee would just be saying Series S is cheaper and is better if you just have an HDTV, and Series X is more expensive and is meant for people that have 4k TVs.

If someone were to actually ask about backwards compatibility, I think the only differentiating factor between them that should really be mentioned is that Series S does not have a disc drive.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Parent/ Grandparent: "Whats the difference in Xboxes? Do they play the same games?"

Clerk: "One is 4K and one isn't. They play the same games and are identical otherwise"

Parent/ Grandparent: "Give me the cheaper one, Timmy doesn't need 4K"

The end... that's literally what will happen in stores this holiday.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Soooo how would you explain his tweets ? What are we suppose to take away from this ? lol

That people outside of this forum are allowed to joke that systems like Vita, Xbox One and Wii U did not make it into popular culture and are forgettable. Also, jokes. We joke about this stuff all the time even on this forum.

This is embarrassing. If you think Brendan is biased you know absolutely nothing about him. Also, what exactly do you think he's biased for/against? This is nonsense.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
This is super ridiculous and video games sites are making it extra complicated.

for example, why can't it be enough with:

Both Series S and Series X can play previous generations of games, period.

Why can't this be the starting point?

boi

Nov 1, 2017
It's just IGN's wording.

The PlayStation 5 will not run PlayStation 4 Pro enhanced versions of backwards compatible games, but will instead run PlayStation 4 Slim versions of PlayStation 4 titles.

Same thing. Just as confusing.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
will it also have the other Xbox One X enhancements like better framerate, textures, lod etc.?
eXm9j2i.png

www.xbox.com

Xbox One X Enhanced Games List | Xbox

View the full list of Xbox One X Enhanced titles. Xbox One X Enhanced titles are optimized to take full advantage of the 4K gaming experience.

like Fallout 4 that has Dynamic resolution, better draw distance and god rays on the One X.
or Middle-Earth: Shadow of war that has dynamic resolution scaling, increased draw distances, better texture detail, better shadows and lighting, more vegetation.
XSS runs the code of X1s and applies few enhancement Like better AF and stuff and more stable frame and auto hdr(but 1s already has hdr) so no god rays and better LOD are not in the X1s code.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah because people who don't know stuff care about if their Xbox plays an enhanced version or not.
lmao at these fake concern posts.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The type of people who don't understand it will probably be happily served with whatever Series variant they buy. Meanwhile more informed consumers will know exactly how the devices are delineated.

I think this is the sort of thing that will gradually become more straightforward thanks to forward compatibility and an increased focus on their service-based offerings. But yeah, it's extremely inelegant right out of the gate.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Forget about the "Grandma buys a console" chlichee, this is what i'm worried about: Even talking about the systems gets incredibly messy quite fast - because of BC/ enhancements, several SKUs across generations that are all based on two letters of the alphabet to distinguish each other.

It just didn't have to be that convoluted.

Oct 27, 2017
If you laughed at Wii U's brand confusion you're obligated to laugh at Xbox.
Wii U was very simple and easy to understand compared to whatever is happening between the ever growing Xbox family of devices.

goku01899

Oct 29, 2017
This could have been alleviated by naming the consoles Xbox Series: Lockhart and Xbox Series: Scarlett

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Soooo how would you explain his tweets ? What are we suppose to take away from this ? lol
People being disingenuous on Twitter to troll and it gets amplified into something "real" that is not even important news it is just based on some random tweet getting replied to and that reply getting a few hundred likes.

I don't think we should take away anything from this or like take the same away you take from hearing random dudes speak at Gamestop.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Oh, I didn't know this and didn't click the article because I thought it was old news. I guess the biggest and most impressive thing with the One X was the resolution. I can't think of many games that had a significant bump in framerate from the 360 to BC on Xbox One, so I'm not expecting much there. Is anyone else expecting these to be huge enhancements over the One S? I'm not.

I don't have extensive knowledge but I know some games' framerate are improved on One S. Ninja Gaiden 2 is the biggest one I know off the top of my head

Jun 23, 2020
Is BC that much of a big deal to people? If so , is this really the box to go for? No disc drive and whatnot. Would be interesting to see the number of people playing BC games for this to be an actual issue, especially the one X enhanced versions. The naming convention isn't great but for the people who it does matter to will know exactly what .
Also they had X1s version of gears 5 multiplayer running 120fps on the XSS which looked fine.

I think there are more things we need to know like outside of first party games how easy will it be for 3rd party devs to make it work on XSS, XSX & PC

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's a conspiracy against Xbox. This is just how the attention economy works. It sucks that it comes at the expense of the user experience for actual people, but it's not surprising. I'm saying this is IGN's way of driving traffic - they made it confusing so people would dunk on it and click on it and share it and post outraged comments in the article... and they've done a tidy bit of ad revenue and free earned marketing in the middle of all of it.

It's stupid, but it works.
That is certainly true, too, yeah. Some won't be able to help themselves for taking advantage, and that's always the crummy part.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Not technically, but you've worded this in a highly misleading way.

From the article linked in the OP:

Xbox Series S will enhance games well beyond what the Xbox One S is capable of, and will be comparable or even better than Xbox One X enhancements in every way except resolution.

All of this has been extremely clear and concise in all of the marketing and messaging for Xbox Series S/X so far. Nobody's confused, but a lot of people are pretending to be on the internet.

Meant to quote you in my last reply. It's still confusing to me (any many others apparently). Calling it "extremely clear" is a huge reach.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forget about the "Grandma buys a console" chlichee, this is what i'm worried about: Even talking about the systems get's incredibly messy quite fast - because of BC/ enhancements, several SKUs across generations that are all based on two letters of the alphabet to distinguish each other.

It just didn't have to be that convoluted.
Do your old games work? Yes

That's all 99% of people will care about

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If I were Sony, I'd be spending a little cash on astroturfers muddying the waters online questioning whether X1X is stronger than XSS. The opportunity for confusion is just so appealing lol
Why pay for AstroTurfing when people will provide similar services for free?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Shouldn't the naming convention make things less confusing here? The Series S = One S backward compatibility and the Series X = One X backward compatibility....

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is going to sink the console or anything, and it's probably not going to come up in discussion when anyone buys one in a store, but you have to be so many layers deep to understand that sentence. You have to know that:

- 'Series' is newer than 'One', which is newer than '360', two random nouns and a number that don't have any intrinsic hierarchy to them
- 'S' is less powerful than 'X', again just two random letters
- The same video game can be played at differing performance levels depending on the computing horsepower of the box playing it
- Xbox games offer two (or more?) different performance levels depending on the console you play them on
- The new Xbox Series S is more powerful than the old Xbox One X if you're playing new games. BUT, if you're playing old games, the old Xbox One X is actually more powerful than the new Xbox Series S.

Obviously us enthusiast forum dorks understand this and the reasons for it, but I wouldn't blame anyone outside this bubble for seeing it as pure gobbledygook.