• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
So IGN tweeted an article about Xbox consoles

The headline might make perfect sense to enthusiasts on this site, most particularly those who keep an eye on Xbox but for other people, eh......

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm sorry but Microsoft's naming in this generation is the Wii U debacle all over again.

We'd had the grandma thread recently though on this?

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't matter to people that aren't informed about this to be honest. The concern trolling is cheap at best

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, it is going to be a teensy bit confusing for most people.

I was going to sell my Xbox One X and just pick up the Series S but i'm going to wait and just get the Series X later on because i'm just unsure about stuff like this.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Because kids an grandmas will give a fuck about this when buying ? lmao. An lets not act like IGN couldnt have just said, Xbox Series S wont get One X enhancements for BC Games. They went out of there way to do that lol

Oct 30, 2017
WjRDn37.gif

Mar 8, 2018
I mean, it looks like word salad if you're mindlessly doomscrolling, but it's perfectly cogent and clear if you take a moment to actively read it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I doubt any parent buying the S for their kids gives a damn about what kind of version the console play One games.

They mostly want the console to play the new games and the old ones they have, and the S is the cheapest option for them. That's it.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If they don't understand what that means, it likely won't matter to them at all anyway. The games are still backward compatible.

In this case, the biggest pain point is "this Xbox model doesn't have a disc drive."

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do those "other people" give two shits about the X benefits of Xbox 360 games? It's a feature aimed at the hardcore that Grandma Sue isn't gonna know exists.

The only people that even know about this are the core that aren't gonna be confused.

aerach71

Sep 25, 2018
Ireland
This doesn't matter to people that aren't informed about this to be honest. The concern trolling is cheap at best

It's not concern trolling. Stop.

All this does is highlight when you start talking about the new xboxs in relation to the xbox ones the terminology will be incredibly confusing to the average person, very quickly. God bless any Gamestop employees for the next while when people have questions about these consoles.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It's funny but they could said just:
''Xbox Series S will run XBOX One S version of backwards compatibility games''.
IGN decided to make this headline crowded lol

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Basically there are two xboxs moving forwards. S and X.

There's this gen (xbox one) and next gen (xbox series)

The x follows the x and the s follows the s.

Edit; I get that the IGN tweet is confusing as heck for the non hard-core.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
This is a bit overblown honestly. The new Xbox consoles will do just fine. And the IGN tweet–while accurate–appears to be intentionally provocative.

Jan 13, 2020
Why would a store clerk start ranting about backwards compatibility like this, unless the topic was broached by the customer? It's really not that big of a deal.

I mean, it looks like word salad if you're mindlessly doomscrolling, but it's perfectly cogent and clear if you take a moment to actively read it.

This.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
My (perhaps elitist) take: the people who care about the level of texture filtering for their old BC games will be able to wrap their head around the concept of two different SKUs.

The parents who just want a console for their kid (as commonly cited in these examples) probably don't worry about that too much.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
If the jabroni at GameStop is smart, they just won't bring it up at all. A parent isn't going to ask "Will the games have Xbox One X enhancements? Billy needs his 4k texture pack!"

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair though that headline is meant for enthusiasts. Retailers aren't going to have to explain that to the vast majority of people because most people aren't wondering whether or not backwards compatible tires are the enhanced versions.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
It's really not that hard to figure out.

The sentence makes complete sense. These people clearly do not understand why this is so, which makes it clear to me that they are being intentionally obtuse, or do not care to do any modicum of research. If the latter is true, perhaps they should rethink their career in game journalism.

Oct 25, 2017
People will pretend the names aren't confusing until there is an impact and then they'll pretend the names were always confusing.

We've seen this play out before.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet itself is confusingly worded. I'm sure MS will find a way to simplify it in its marketing.

Don't expect zero confusion though, even if it's explained.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
If people didn't get confused by iPhone SE, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR or iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro etc.

There are not going to get confused with this.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fairly certain they (IGN) meant for it to be that way so they can garner all the clicks from the confusion.

There had to be a simpler way to communicate that headline.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its still bullshit

so why exactly can the weaker next gen console (which still is still more powerful than the One X) can't run games with bonuses at that level?

There is zero need for concern trolling here MS is straight up stupid

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to sell my one x and get an S. But this is shitty. They didn't design the S to at least be on par with the one x? That is insane.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
The concern posting is mind numbing when you won't be able to buy a Xbox One new at store in November. These poor helpless parents and grandparents will be just fine in deciding if they want to spend $300 or $500 on a Xbox.