• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gamstat

Mar 17, 2019
Okay, does anyone actually know how Steam top sellers chart is calculated?

For what it's worth, even global #1 doesn't mean it sells well.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't suck...it's not as good as Game Pass for Xbox due to not having the same games, but it doesn't suck.

Whether you get it on Steam or via Game Pass depends on how much you value Steam as a platform.
Ah I thought I read of a lot of issues with the Windows store platform. Don't care about steam as a platform lol

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Not surprising to see I suppose! Not terribly interested in Horizon, but I be day 0 on Spider-Man if they bring it over. ;D

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Steam top sellers is calculated by revenue iirc. Not sure of the refresh time period
Top sellers is region specific, global top sellers is obviously global.
You should not look at top sellers via the main store page, as that will hide games you already own. Equally in both list pages, if you have a store exclusion set up for any tags, you may have filtered out some games from the list. There is an option at the top of the list to view the unfiltered list

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

It's revenue.

And what do you even try to argue? It's a 50 bucks game. Regardless if it is revenue or sales number, both would be a huge success.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the return on investment for an old game is massive. Have a system seller, then a few years down the road chuck it on PC for nearly full price and make bank
It's actually the opposite. For a platform holder/publisher, this shows that you can make a game exclusive on a platform - driving platform sales - and then still make it successful on other platforms, at full price, years later.

Publishing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC now is a brilliant move. As it's a 3-year-old title, it won't make any more large pushes on PS4, especially that PS5 is on the, hm, horizon. What you do, is sell H:ZD to the PC crowd now and then, next year, release the sequel on PS5, still as an exclusive. Now those players have some vested interest in an exclusive franchise and may be inclined to invest in the platform (not wanting to play the sequel 3 years later). And if not, you still sold a 3-year-old game at full price.
Thank you.

gamstat

Mar 17, 2019
Yeah, I know it's region-specific. 23 regions, if I remember it right (edit: 29 regions + global).

But we don't know the exact formula behind it. Anyone actually ever tried to make a rough estimate of how chart position relates to revenue?

Congrats to HZD, of course, but it might turn out we're congratulating it with reaching like 5000 sales.

Last edited:

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
That's what you get for fair regional pricing. Publishers take note.

Death Stranding, among a lot of other ports, never reached it.

the price is excellent.
And I got my discount from the Steam Summer Sale as well. Sweet.

I stopped playing and I was completely lost for the DLC. Perfect excuse to replay it on PC.

Dec 15, 2017
I'll contribute buying this and death Stranding when the price drops.

Folks, make sure to state in the steam reviews that you want BLOODBORNE ON PC NEXT. there will be plenty of game and PC performance analysis on other places. Just use the steam reviews to send the message loud and clear.
If there are say 5000 reviews stating NOW BRING BLOODBORNE TO PC I'm sure game sites will make news of that and get the ball rolling.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
horizon.png

Jesus...Sea of Thieves has been glued to #1 for a while right?
This will be huge for Sony!

Microsoft and Sony conquering PC

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
And then those people will pick up your console when the sequel hits im sure that's the plan.

I just don't think a lot of PC players are gonna take that bait. Most PC players I know don't have a problem waiting 2, 3, or even 4 years for a game and if there is no planned release then they just move on with the mentality that there's already plenty of games on PC. I don't think they're going to see a lot of people transitioning from PC to PS5 just because they put a few games on PC several years later in an attempt to lure people in for a sequel.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Oh for sure, bloodborne, god of war, gravity rush 2 and the last guardian I would replay and buy again to play at a much better framerate.

Wow, The Last Guardian and for that matter the Shadow of the Colossus remake would both MASSIVELY benefit from a PC release. Then at least fans could fix the aesthetic choices and visual issues the SOTC remake has.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Yall better fucking support Dreams when it drops on PC!

especially the VR users!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It's actually the opposite. For a platform holder/publisher, this shows that you can make a game exclusive on a platform - driving platform sales - and then still make it successful on other platforms, at full price, years later.

Publishing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC now is a brilliant move. As it's a 3-year-old title, it won't make any more large pushes on PS4, especially that PS5 is on the, hm, horizon. What you do, is sell H:ZD to the PC crowd now and then, next year, release the sequel on PS5, still as an exclusive. Now those players have some vested interest in an exclusive franchise and may be inclined to invest in the platform (not wanting to play the sequel 3 years later). And if not, you still sold a 3-year-old game at full price.
Yeah this. It seems pretty clear Sony are doing the above and trying to push more PC gamers to PS5. Both next gen consoles are basically really affordable powerful gaming PCs, with some benefits above the average PC build (those SSD improvements). Unlike with the current gen I'd imagine if people are considering building a new PC for gaming or going console it's a much tougher decision to make, and looking forward to exclusive games might tip people to choose something else.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I think absurd regional pricing helped. I don't just mean "oh it's actually priced like other games"... I mean "I think somebody made a mistake when putting it up" good. We are talking less than 50% of acceptable AAA Pc game on steam in russia.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Why is PlayStation Mobile Inc the publisher? Though Sony has seemingly dialed back their mobile efforts pretty dramatically

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I just don't think a lot of PC players are gonna take that bait. Most PC players I know don't have a problem waiting 2, 3, or even 4 years for a game and if there is no planned release then they just move on with the mentality that there's already plenty of games on PC. I don't think they're going to see a lot of people transitioning from PC to PS5 just because they put a few games on PC several years later in an attempt to lure people in for a sequel.

I'd wager a lot of that market already have a PC and PS4. More an attempt to try and expand that audience

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I believe that's just the account Sony uses on Steam for publishing. It doesn't mean anything.

The PlayStation Apps in the AppStore are from PlayStation Mobile Inc. they are indeed their mobile division. Having them publish PS4 games for PC makes some sense as they have experience dealing with non-PlayStation storefronts.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
As a PC and Nintendo only player i can't wait to play this and Death Stranding before, i hope Sony sees these numbers and will keep releasing their first party titles on PC too, who knows maybe one day we'll get an Uncharted and The last of Us collection on Steam

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Most PC gamers don't game the same way console players do. Console players buy a console knowing they are going to purchase and play many games on it. People will buy/build a PC for just 1 game. Sure on Era PC gamers tend to have the same behaviour of console gamers but that is not the norm. Everyone I know who plays on PC is into 1 or 2 games. Sadly many console games don't have the kinda depth that a lot of popular PC games do.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All they'll take from this is that they can sell 3 year old games on PC for $50 and it'll get lapped up regardless.
I'm ok with that.

Though I do think someone from their mid-cycle refresh team will probably want to put the Kabosh on any early PS5 games being allowed the same, one, for all the magical SSD claims and two, they probably wont want to undercut their mid-cycle system by signaling to just get a PC and the game will be even better.

Hope I'm wrong though

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Besides the return on investment for an old game is massive. Have a system seller, then a few years down the road chuck it on PC for nearly full price and make bank

If they keep doing that then they stop becoming system sellers, as people expect them to come to PC as standard a year or two down the line.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the PC audience likes the game. It's a pretty interesting world they've got set up there. Of all games turning in franchises I really feel Horizon deserves it after what they've set up in the first game.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Hopefully Sony starts porting more games and eventually does closer to release games on PC.

Looking like a great quality port by Guerrilla. Can't wait to play this at 1440p/120fps+

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I just woke up to an email from Steam about it.

First thing I did was turn on my computer to buy it

Really excited for this.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad this is selling well on PC and I will buy it when it is released. I am also ok with the $50 price tag (or even full price), but if Sony is going to start porting more first party games over, then I really hope three years is not the norm. I hope for 6-12 months.

Would it be too much to hope for RTX features getting patched in later? That would be amazing. I would love to see this game with RTX GI and shadows.

Last edited:

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Just took the plunge myself and bought a copy after seeing the PC trailer. Wasn't sure what to expect from the port, but it seems they are doing a good job with it.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Most PC gamers don't game the same way console players do. Console players buy a console knowing they are going to purchase and play many games on it. People will buy/build a PC for just 1 game. Sure on Era PC gamers tend to have the same behaviour of console gamers but that is not the norm. Everyone I know who plays on PC is into 1 or 2 games. Sadly many console games don't have the kinda depth that a lot of popular PC games do.

Not sure what this has to do with what I'm saying. The people who play on PC for 1 or 2 games are usually there for the games that are exclusive to PC (i.e. WoW, LoL, etc.) and easy to run. I'm talking more about the enthusiast side of the PC gaming community who do the majority of their gaming on a PC. Dropping an old game in an attempt to lure them in for a proposed sequel doesn't seem likely. As I said, the people I know would be more than happy waiting or just passing it over altogether. It may convince a few to add a PS5 to their house, but I kind of doubt it does so to any significant degree in regards to people who own a PC but not a console.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
At this rate, they really ought to release Gravity Rush 1 and 2 on Steam as well. They'll probably end up selling better than they did on Vita/PS4!