• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What the heck lol

Dude can't even stream on Twitch due to his age. Surprised he was even signed.

ydmwaf0bsjm3igcrkaph.jpg

If nothing else, Team 33 certainly made a splash when it arrived on the esports scene earlier this month. In a press release, the previously unknown organization boasted of a Hollywood team house that had already played host to big names like Janelle Monáe, Post Malone, and Drake. But it wasn't glitz and glamour that prompted a withering glare from the esports community's eye of Sauron. Instead, it was the team's first announced signee: a Fortnite player named Joseph Deen. He is 8 years old.

Deen is a child. To hear Team 33 founder Tyler Gallagher tell it, he's an extremely skilled child, but a child nonetheless. Despite that fact, Deen is now a full-fledged member of a professional organization, and he's got a $33,000 signing bonus and a brand new $5,000 gaming setup to show for it. When the signing was first announced, some esports fans declared Deen's unlikely debut a dream come true, the sort of opportunity most kids would screech themselves hoarse over. But others looked on with furrowed brows and scrunched up faces. They smelled something fishy. At such a young age, how could he enter tournaments? And what could the team possibly have him do that wouldn't violate child labor laws? Surely, fans figured, Deen's signing couldn't be legal.

Extreme youth is not uncommon in the esports world, where teens become stars, and teams push limits to get an edge on the competition. Multiple Overwatch League teams have incubated underage players until they've hit the minimum required age to play on Blizzard's big stage (18 years old). In 2019, then-16-year-old Fortnite phenom Kyle "Bugha" Giersdorf won the Epic mega-game's $3 million world cup. Somewhat notoriously, 2019 also saw H1ghSky1—a player signed to esports behemoth FaZe Clan—get busted for pretending for years that he was above the minimum required age to stream on Twitch and compete in Fortnite tournaments (13).In reality, FaZe first signed him when he was 11. In response to this revelation, Twitch suspended his account, and Epic revoked his tournament winnings. He went on to stream on YouTube with direct parental supervision, per YouTube's rules for young children, until he turned 13 earlier this year.

kotaku.com

An Esports Team Signed An 8 Year Old, But Nobody Is Sure If It's Legal

If nothing else, Team 33 certainly made a splash when it arrived on the esports scene earlier this month. In a press release, the previously unknown organization boasted of a Hollywood team house that had already played host to big names like Janelle Monáe, Post Malone, and Drake. But it wasn’t...

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to the parents?

Seems like a marketing stunt for the organization, especially since it's their first signing.

Edit: Kid can't even enter tournaments? lmao yeah it's a stunt

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Is the kid that good? What a bizarre thing hoping he stays this good for the next several years.

Don't soccer clubs in Europe do similar things and sign them up for youth programs?

Time and time again, I cant believe there is this much money to throw around in esports

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like a marketing stunt.

and damn, a 5k setup for Fortnite. I wish I was good a games.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
they're leveling him up so that he's a beast when it's legal for him to stream.

(unless Fortnite has tanked by then)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I remember there was this kid called Noah the Prodigy who played MvC3, dude was like 8 or 9 back then and he's fucking 18 now!

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't this a thing in some sports like soccer or baseball a "futures contract" . Basically "when the kid is old enough to compete, he's ours."

Oct 31, 2017
To me, if he's getting paid for his time, it's technically labor. This is just it though and begs the question, if one finds their money-making "fun", then is it actually a job?

It's still honestly exploitation to me, but most people will probably say that "hey the kids doing what he'd probably do anyway and is getting paid (and making money for others) so why not?".

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
the-wizard-movie-poster-1989-1020246534.jpg

Congrats to that kid I guess... I mean that was kind of my dream when I was 8 thanks to a certain Fred Savage movie infomercial.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
To me, if he's getting paid for his time, it's technically labor. This is just it though and begs the question, if one finds their money-making "fun", then is it actually a job?

It's still honestly exploitation to me, but most people will probably say that "hey the kids doing what he'd probably do anyway and is getting paid (and making money for others) so why not?".

No different than child actors and musicians. There just needs to be some oversight but as long as they keep things within other industry norms I doubt they will run afoul of the law.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The thing that gives it away as a setup is the $5k setup. It's Fortnite. It runs on everything from your phone to the PS5. You don't need any kind of super computer to run it well, even if you're a pro.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Definitely a marketing stunt, but I can't imagine that this will go well regardless. Good for the parents though, I hope they put the money to good use, though I have to imagine that they won't.

I also just find it kind of funny, because that kid basically rules the playground. I remember when my brother was like 5 and he could kick the asses of any of my friends (we were 13 or so at the time) in COD or Halo so I have to wonder if he would have been able to qualify had e-sports been a thing back then

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Definitely a marketing stunt, but I can't imagine that this will go well regardless. Good for the parents though, I hope they put the money to good use, though I have to imagine that they won't.
It will be similar to parents of child actors. A young celebrity giving them enough funding, and the parents making sure their child stays healthy and well-being by using those funding.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Curious how this pans out. In sport the kid usually keeps playing in their age-group leagues, and there probably is incentive to it. I wonder if it's the same for this. If Fortnite dwindles, I suppose he can transfer to the next hype game? That's if his gaming prowess is transferrable like Justin Wong/Sonic Fox.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any footage of him playing anything? I'm really curious how good he is.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the kid that good? What a bizarre thing hoping he stays this good for the next several years.

Don't soccer clubs in Europe do similar things and sign them up for youth programs?

Time and time again, I cant believe there is this much money to throw around in esports

The big difference is that soccer clubs have the advantage than unless a huge catastrophe destroys the sport, football should stay a legit industry for the foresablee future, and if the kid develops in a huge star, he is going to be a big return of investment

Meanwhile, videogames like Fortnite still have the risk of being a fad, even something like fortnite that could be sucessfull in the coming 5 years and yet not being that profitable in the future.