• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome. Can other players running the mod invade you? I'd be okay with no invasions if it means we can raise the number to 4 total allies playing together.

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
I'm not sure how this is supposed to work with EAC as most significant mods require you to play with the game offline and EAC toggled off, but it's worth noting this modder is LukeYui, who has an impressive catalog of mods on Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/49594931?tab=user+files
  • Item & Parameter Randomizer (Elden Ring randomizer)
  • Sekiro Online (co-op in Sekiro- this mod has the description "The mod itself runs purely on P2P connections. There is a server, however this is only used for summon signs." so maybe this is how the Elden Ring mod will work as well, with ER technically in offline mode to dodge EAC)
  • Item randomizer for Dark Souls 3
  • Anti-cheat/Hacker protection mods for Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to try this out, multiplayer hasn't really changed much since Demon's Souls which is really strange considering how much they've evolved the games since then in just about every other aspect.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
"The mod itself runs purely on P2P connections. There is a server, however this is only used for summon signs." so maybe this is how the Elden Ring mod will work as well, with ER technically in offline mode to dodge EAC)

This is very possible. Afaik, there are "unofficial" servers for the Dark Souls games on PC that people are using while waiting for From/Bandai to fix the servers. Obviously with the caveat that you can get hacked on these unofficial servers.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is very possible. Afaik, there are "unofficial" servers for the Dark Souls games on PC that people are using while waiting for From/Bandai to fix the servers. Obviously with the caveat that you can get hacked on these unofficial servers.

The custom servers run a fixed version of the code, I do not think they are vulnerable to the RCE.

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
It's the only thing I kinda hate about the game. My friends, that are not even into Souls, love Elden ring, and we try to play online every weekend. It's a terrible experience because how everyone has to advance independently through their game.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I can just dream of this being official with PvP support and back to to 6 player MP. I respect from's vision in their games but this is one aspect I'm simply over after so many games of frustration when waning to play with friends. ER with these online features will be amazing.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're shitting me. Players have fixed it on custom servers, but the official servers are still down 3 months later? Wtf.

It's been integrated into the anti cheat mods like 2 days after the RCE was published. I believe multiplayer is only playable still with DS3 because of its custom servers though. Everything else is still down unless there's other custom server projects that have released for the other titles.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
I can just dream of this being official with PvP support and back to to 6 player MP. I respect from's vision in their games but this is one aspect I'm simply over after so many games of frustration when waning to play with friends. ER with these online features will be amazing.
Exactly how I feel. Only other From game I've played is Dark Souls 1 on Switch, primarily doing co-op with my brother, and it's crazy how different it is to say, Monster Hunter Rise, where you can do-op everything, and the game is designed around to that. Elden Ring's vastness, combined with enemies that seem to be better designed to withstand a group of players, seemed like the perfect opportunity to remove the old system. This modder is doing an incredible thing here (plus also a randomizer? Hot diggity dog!) and we're lucky to have someone like them.

As an aside, I think the one thing I would LOVE to see added as a feature in a game like ER is a counter-op mode (a la Perfect Dark), where opposing players can control enemies to fight the player. When that enemy is killed, they just take control of another foe.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Beyond hyped for this. I've always wanted co-op like this in a FromSoft game. I respect their vision and the way they handle multiplayer, but this just looks like so much more fun than what the game provides by default. Looks like there won't be player invasions either which is even better.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
damn, this is amazing. This might just be how I replay the game when i get around to it.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Yes please!
I cannot understand why ER coop had so many weird restrictions.
Same, and it feels even more arbitrary when you start to fuck with the boundaries. I got summoned to someone's world as blue phantom, and they were doing that dumb shit where they hide in an inaccessible spot. The invader also appeared to be AFK.

So just for shits and giggles, I just started running...and running, and running. went from outside Raya Lucaria to almost the Weeping Peninsula before I just got bored and left the world. So it's clear that some pretty solid framework is already under the hood here, considering the game could remember if I killed a bat outside of First Step while the host is way out on another continent.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing and makes me regret getting it on Series X, I might actually triple dip once the mod releases so my SO and I can play together.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Would make for an awesome official mode. The games are enjoyable in so many different ways for different experience.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
It's kind of baffling that people here are saying that From was lazy, or outright did not know how to implement an "actual" coop system. It's even funnier given how implementing constant connection and all over the map would probably be easier (given the literal fact a modder did just that) to implement whatever From implements to segment sections, restrict to summon pools, to remove the horse, send players back and forth when the host dies or the boss is defeated, not being able to rest in a grace, etc. How is setting your summon sign on the floor "archaic" when its clearly a game design choice?

Jul 7, 2021
It's kind of baffling that people here are saying that From was lazy, or outright did not know how to implement an "actual" coop system. It's even funnier given how implementing constant connection and all over the map would probably be easier (given the literal fact a modder did just that) to implement whatever From implements to segment sections, restrict to summon pools, to remove the horse, send players back and forth when the host dies or the boss is defeated, not being able to rest in a grace, etc. How is setting your summon sign on the floor "archaic" when its clearly a game design choice?

Are you saying a game design choice can't be archaic?

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
I am definitely gonna watch this thread for when it drops. I will definitely do NG+ if I can play the entire game via co-op with a friend.

Oct 25, 2017
This is how Coop should have been from the get go.

And I think I mentioned it before, but weren't there interviews or articles saying that this would be the case? And then the beta test happened, and no one questioned it just being the same old dark souls multiplayer?

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
How the horrible and asinine coop got passed testing...... I just don't get it. Yes, it was a weird (annoying) quirky system in the previous tiny-leveled linear games, but how anyone thought it was good game design to run around the huge open world, go to a dungeon, but you cant enter the dungeon until the other person disconnects urgh.... so you dc and then enter and get the grace, then they have to run there and do the same, so you can complete the 2 second long dungeon together..... my god it's like making it so you have to press up-down-left 3x-R3-L3-R3 to move a tetris piece one tick to the right. It's horrible design. It should have been perma connect, you both get items/chests, and the other player get's their own horse/can be on your horse. That or just no coop. It's clearly not the focus and it's honestly not worth the pain to play together.

It's astonishing how bad the coop multiplayer infrastructure and design is in this game. Like truly a feat to get it to be so backwards. But hey, 97 score, amirite?

Hope this mod is feasible without any kind of bans.

Sorry for the mildly aggressive post but the juxtaposition between the score and the pc performance/netplay stability and design has me so irked with this game.

It's mido

One Winged Slayer
Jan 23, 2018
How the horrible and asinine coop got passed testing...... I just don't get it. Yes, it was a weird (annoying) quirky system in the previous tiny-leveled linear games, but how anyone thought it was good game design to run around the huge open world, go to a dungeon, but you cant enter the dungeon until the other person disconnects urgh.... so you dc and then enter and get the grace, then they have to run there and do the same, so you can complete the 2 second long dungeon together..... my god it's like making it so you have to press up-down-left 3x-R3-L3-R3 to move a tetris piece one tick to the right. It's horrible design. It should have been perma connect, you both get items/chests, and the other player get's their own horse/can be on your horse. That or just no coop. It's clearly not the focus and it's honestly not worth the pain to play together.

It's astonishing how bad the coop multiplayer infrastructure and design is in this game. Like truly a feat to get it to be so backwards. But hey, 97 score, amirite?

Hope this mod is feasible without any kind of bans.

Sorry for the mildly aggressive post but the juxtaposition between the score and the pc performance/netplay stability and design has me so irked with this game.
Honest question, were you really expecting Fromsoft to deliver a cozy Player One/Player Two experience with Elden Ring despite them deliberately not doing so in every other souls game up to the present?

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's easy to setup and that there isn't a risk of getting banned. I'm not really a Souls fan, but my friend loves it. After the stellar reviews, I knew I had to give it a try. It's still not my flavor of game, but it would be a ton of fun to play with my friend.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really looking forward to this - I'm still in the middle of my first run, 120 hours in but as soon as that is done, I wanna dive into a multiplayer run with a friend and this mod seems to give us exactly what we wanted for coop.

When does the world reset and when do you get your flasks back though? When everyone is at a grace or when just one person is there?

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
Some of the testing playtime have happened. Here are some twitch Vods.

Interesting way to get through the Grafted Scion intro. I guess the host is prevented from dying during that particular fight?

edit: Just noticed the YouTube trailer has a Q&A underneath with some important info about how the mod works-
=================================

Q) Can the mod get me banned?
A) No, the mod doesn't connect to the matchmaking servers and does not use FromSoftware's online services and therefore you can't get banned for using it.

Q) What is the player cap?
A) The maximum player count in a party is 4 (1 host + 3 guest players). Increasing the player cap beyond this is out of the scope of this project.

Q) Are there invasions?
A) No, there are no invasions. You can PvP with members of your party if you like using an item to toggle friendly fire mode.

Q) How do items work?
A) Items are unique to every player. If boss drops a talisman pouch for example, everyone will get it. The same applies to items found in the world and enemy drops.

Q) How do sites of grace/bonfires work?
A) If one player sits at a site of grace anywhere in the world an enemy/world reset will occur for every player. If a player is fighting a non-open world boss at this time, they will be placed back outside the fog wall and the fight will be reset.

Q) Is progress shared?
A) Yes progress is shared. But it only applies to actions you do whilst in a player's world - for example if you start a fresh character and join a player to kill an end-game boss, only that boss will be dead in your world and you won't inherit all of the other player's progress they had before you joined.

Q) How does it work with the anti-cheat?

A) It doesn't, the mod uses a separate launcher which runs the game without launching Easy Anti-Cheat.

Q) Can I use other mods?
A) Yes, however for regulation / param file edits everyone in the party must have them active in order for them to be visible. (e.g. if just 1 player uses a randomiser, it will only work for that player).

Last edited:

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, were you really expecting Fromsoft to deliver a cozy Player One/Player Two experience with Elden Ring despite them deliberately not doing so in every other souls game up to the present?
From a design standpoint considering many other gameplay systems in the new entry were departures and player friendly quality of life changes, it would make sense. It's like them not including the horse or fast travel. It wouldn't make sense and be a detriment to leave those out.

So yes, I thought they'd at least try to improve it just a little bit.

Clever Gato

Oct 28, 2017
Cannot wait to try the mod out! I've even held off from continuing the game for the sake of restarting it with a friend.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
It's the only thing I kinda hate about the game. My friends, that are not even into Souls, love Elden ring, and we try to play online every weekend. It's a terrible experience because how everyone has to advance independently through their game.
I don't even know what the triggers / blockers are. I'm on my third NG+ and my friend is playing through for teh first time, so we thought it'd be fun to tackle some mini-bosses together. We set up a password and he summoned me to Caelid to kill a dragon. He was able to summon me three times in a row until we finally took it down. Then we went to another open area of Caelid to try to summon me for a different area boss, and he couldn't see my summon sign.

We restarted our games, quit and rejoined our party, tried different passwords... everything we could think of. He just couldn't see my summon sign, so we gave up, left the party, and went about our nights playing solo. Such a fucking bummer.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Interesting way to get through the Grafted Scion intro. I guess the host is prevented from dying during that particular fight?

edit: Just noticed the YouTube trailer has a Q&A underneath with some important info about how the mod works-
=================================

Q) Can the mod get me banned?
A) No, the mod doesn't connect to the matchmaking servers and does not use FromSoftware's online services and therefore you can't get banned for using it.

Q) What is the player cap?
A) The maximum player count in a party is 4 (1 host + 3 guest players). Increasing the player cap beyond this is out of the scope of this project.

Q) Are there invasions?
A) No, there are no invasions. You can PvP with members of your party if you like using an item to toggle friendly fire mode.

Q) How do items work?
A) Items are unique to every player. If boss drops a talisman pouch for example, everyone will get it. The same applies to items found in the world and enemy drops.

Q) How do sites of grace/bonfires work?
A) If one player sits at a site of grace anywhere in the world an enemy/world reset will occur for every player. If a player is fighting a non-open world boss at this time, they will be placed back outside the fog wall and the fight will be reset.

Q) Is progress shared?
A) Yes progress is shared. But it only applies to actions you do whilst in a player's world - for example if you start a fresh character and join a player to kill an end-game boss, only that boss will be dead in your world and you won't inherit all of the other player's progress they had before you joined.

Q) How does it work with the anti-cheat?
A) It doesn't, the mod uses a separate launcher which runs the game without launching Easy Anti-Cheat.

Q) Can I use other mods?
A) Yes, however for regulation / param file edits everyone in the party must have them active in order for them to be visible. (e.g. if just 1 player uses a randomiser, it will only work for that player).

Jesus. That is so much better than I thought it would be.