• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man: Miles Morales is sure to be a win for representation, with beloved Afro-Latino character Miles Morales taking the drivers seat of a AAA release. With the early footage we've seen Insomniac has committed to authenticity in depicting the diverse youth culture of New York. In what snippets we've seen, it's lifelike in a way few games manage to me.

But for anyone who's actually familiar with modern day new york there's something...missing.

Miles does not sound anywhere close to a young person in NYC in the current year. This can be understandable to a degree in his more child-friendly outings, but in the context of a AAA game aimed at an older audience, there's an opportunity here that's being missed.

Eimn1FOXsAIkxtB

Miles Morales should be the first Spider-Man that says nigga and he should say it with his chest. It is, quite frankly, immersion breaking for an african american teenager born and raised in NY to not say nigga.

EikiTHnWoAAv6uX

He should be saying nigga in cutscenes. He should be saying nigga in combat. He should be saying no cap and deadass. He should be like what the fuck is you talking about when Peter is on his bullshit.

Eimn1FNXYAAWqMC

Why stop there. Let Rhodey say nigga. Let T'challa say nigga. Luke Cage ALREADY says nigga. Have a sidequest about Ganke saying nigga and getting side eyed.

Real talk it bothers me that representation in in these types of properties sidesteps the dialect. I understand that white creatives feel iffy about slang and AAVE, but that's all the more reason to have black creatives involved instead. Especially in properties like Spider-Man that are meant to represent the average person.

Let's get some authenticity in our representation, what do you say era?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me I wasn't the only person who thought the title referred to Tails at first.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao Sony doesn't have the balls

And there is no way Tchalla would say Nigga

I dont think he'd like the idea of that word's continued existence

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sony/Marvel would never let that happen lol.

I grew up in NY so I get your sentiments.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am not Miles biggest fan, but my guy that would be wildly out of character for him.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Do they have black writers at insomniac? I think white writers would be to scared to accurately portray a black teen in NY.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody in my family ever says it and it feels wildly out of character for Miles.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Nah, I'm good.

I don't need every black person in fictional media to say "nigga." Truth told, not all of us say "nigga" in our everyday vernacular either. There is very few black representation in entertainment media period, and there's also very few portrayals of black people in entertainment media that don't speak in slang. It's kind of nice to see characters like T'Challa or Miles not sound like they were written for an episode of The Wire. Maybe that's just me.

I'm a nerdy black guy from the mid-west, so what do I know?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Spider-Man: Miles Morales is sure to be a win for representation, with beloved Afro-Latino character Miles Morales taking the drivers seat of a AAA release. With the early footage we've seen Insomniac has committed to authenticity in depicting the diverse youth culture of New York. In what snippets we've seen, it's lifelike in a way few games manage to me.

But for anyone who's actually familiar with modern day new york there's something...missing.

Miles does not sound anywhere close to a young person in NYC in the current year. This can be understandable to a degree in his more child-friendly outings, but in the context of a AAA game aimed at an older audience, there's an opportunity here that's being missed.

Eimn1FOXsAIkxtB

Miles Morales should be the first Spider-Man that says nigga and he should say it with his chest. It is, quite frankly, immersion breaking for an african american teenager born and raised in NY to not say nigga.

EikiTHnWoAAv6uX

He should be saying nigga in cutscenes. He should be saying nigga in combat. He should be saying no cap and deadass. He should be like what the fuck is you talking about when Peter is on his bullshit.

Eimn1FNXYAAWqMC

Why stop there. Let Rhodey say nigga. Let T'challa say nigga. Luke Cage ALREADY says nigga. Have a sidequest about Ganke saying nigga and getting side eyed.

Real talk it bothers me that representation in in these types of properties sidesteps the dialect. I understand that white creatives feel iffy about slang and AAVE, but that's all the more reason to have black creatives involved instead. Especially in properties like Spider-Man that are meant to represent the average person.

Let's get some authenticity in our representation, what do you say era?

Are those actual panels from comics or have they been altered

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This is the live action stipulations that Marvel has Sony Pictures maintain for their films. I'd imagine gaming is not far off.

The agreement spells out that mandatory Spider-Man traits must always strictly conform to the following list: male; does not torture; does not kill in defense of self or others; does not use foul language beyond PG-13; does not smoke tobacco; does not sell/distribute illegal drugs; does not abuse alcohol; does not have sex before the age of 16; does not have sex with anyone below the age of 16; and is not a homosexual (unless Marvel has portrayed that alter ego as a homosexual).

No thanks for me. Don't think all black teenagers need to fit into any box regarding their language.

Nah, I'm good.

I don't need every black person in fictional media to say "nigga." Truth told, not all of us say "nigga" in our everyday vernacular either. There is very few black representation in entertainment media period, and there's also very few portrayals of black people in entertainment media that don't speak in slang. It's kind of nice to see characters like T'Challa or Miles not sound like they were written for an episode of The Wire. Maybe that's just me.

Thank you for eloquently writing how I feel about the subject.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm good.

Reminds me of Thunderball of the wrecking crew, only memeber to have a PHD but he talks like the rest of the crew(career thugs). He just happens to be black
Are those actual panels from comics or have they been altered
Altered

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
The only way we should even consider this is if the head writer of the game is black. Not an associate or some other shit. I mean the success and failure of the whole project rests on their shoulders.

Since we are pretty confident that is not the case, imma go with no he shouldn't say it

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Dunno man, not sure insomniac can handle that properly. ideally, he would represent his community, though. Not sure doing what u suggest is the right way either, as I'm definitely not someone who would know.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Not every black person says, and I don't need every black character in media to say it either.

apowhungo

Oct 30, 2017
If Rockstar can do it, why can't anyone else?
hugely different demographic were talking about here, this has to be kid friendly.

never knew he said it in the comics, but i think between spiderverse/how he is in ps4 spidey it does seem out of character with this latest iteration. it'd be funny if they teased it/beat around the bush like a lot of adult topics in spidey.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Miles would never say that, same with Black Panther.
Just because someone is black, it doesn't mean they want to use/like the word...

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get where you're coming from OP and, on some level, I would enjoy it, but I don't think it would work.

Besides, I don't see Miles saying it. At least freely. In my mind, he'd only say it around his uncle.
T'Challa wouldn't say it.
Rhodey, eh, he seems like the type that wouldn't like the word.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Hell why stop there ..I'm in Brooklyn and here people say it all the time but they also say every curse word I know in one sentence .It's actually quite impressive really. Can a game get an M rating on language alone?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Lol no reason for Miles to say nigga. If he was written like that maybe but even then I doubt Sony or Marvel would allow that type of language in the game.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I think the fake examples you posted in the OP show why this doesn't work

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
OP you made a good argument for representation. But not the one you think, you can't stick all the forms of blackness into a character. Miles and Static are cut from the same cloth, blerds pushed into tough shit. but Static has the advantage of not being the only form of blackness in his universe

Status
Not open for further replies.