• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Our hot story this morning: The Transom has learned that HBO Max is developing an It prequel series that is tentatively titled Welcome to Derry. The series would likely explore the origin story of Pennywise the Clown as well as the dawn of the 27-year curse that haunts the small Maine town.

There's no word on whether anyone from either It movie will make an appearance. Nor is it clear that this show has been greenlit. But at this point, we can say that an honest to god writer's room is being/has been convened for the project.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
IT being a mini series on HBO was the dream for me. But this is a good enough

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It turns out Pennywise was abused by his parents and we should all feel sorry for him.
Pennywise's mom was chased off a cliff by a ragtag group of schoolchildren.

I thought he was like a transdimensional space turtle or some shit.
No, the turtle is his cosmic opposite. Pennywise doesn't really have a true form other than the Deadlights at the end of the universe, but he appears as a spider at the end of IT.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'd want them to adapt the whole book in this format but it's probably too soon since the movies came out

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please…. Please go through. This sounds amazing, especially if it's close to the book.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I'm down.

I gotta admit, I'm really liking the potential of HBO making spinoff shows for their films like Dune, The Batman, and Suicide Squad.

Lupo

Nov 7, 2017
Wasn't it a Eldritch-like being that is pretty much incomprehensible to the human mind? I guess this is going to be an exploration on the human life it took as a form, but to explore the true nature of its origin would probably be like visualizing a psychadelic trip.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I thought he was like a transdimensional space spider turtle or some shit.

Yes.

So his origin would be him arriving and horribly massacring early settlers in the area who have no concept of what they're dealing with. I can't imagine you would want or need an internal monologue for Pennywise, or "motive" other than It being evil, cruel, and hungry.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Shame the movies were so recent, because a HBO TV series adaptation of the book would be interesting, at least to me it would.

I wonder how involved Stephen King will be with this prequel series?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I love the book and movies so I'm always down for more IT, but is King involved?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it a Eldritch-like being that is pretty much incomprehensible by the human mind? I guess this is going to be an exploration on the human life it took as a form, but to explore the true nature of its origin would probably be like visualizing a psychadelic trip.
Yeah that's...not sure how they're going to cover the "origins" here

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I enjoy King TV shows like Castle Rock or his horrible input for the remake of Kingdom but this just sounds ultra unnecessary. As if it weren't bad enough that Curry's Pennywise has been dethroned by the Hot Topic one with people.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
But, like, didn't he precede the town of Derry? Is it just going to be a non-clown Pennywise terrorizing fur trappers and loggers at the town's founding?

Wonder if it'll be an anthology and maybe explore some of the different 27 year periods?

I imagine they are going to take some liberties with the original backstory to adapt this.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Wasnt IT terrorizing the resident indigenous tribes and colonial settlers at the start? I'm all for a period piece but it sounds tricky to pull off if he's not in his clown form.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wasn't it a Eldritch-like being that is pretty much incomprehensible to the human mind? I guess this is going to be an exploration on the human life it took as a form, but to explore the true nature of its origin would probably be like visualizing a psychadelic trip.
For this reason, I feel like explaining Pennywise would take away from what makes the character frightening. Unless maybe they planned to show earlier Pennywise cycles and keep some mystery to the character

Oct 28, 2017
That's a neat concept for a series, King wrote a lot of history and mythology about the town of Derry. The town is as much of a character as the monster itself.

Hopefully Bill Skarsgard comes back to portray Pennywise.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Wonder if it'll be an anthology and maybe explore some of the different 27 year periods?

I imagine they are going to take some liberties with the original backstory to adapt this.

yeah this was my first thought as well. The book talks about at its presence for centuries (iirc) in Derry; with its hunting cycle repeating every 27 years (so Derry's history books are full of strange events, mysteries and missing children throughout its time). So its pretty much free game if they want to approach it from the historical angle; each season / era / whatever might uncover something we didnt know (and that King has kept purposely vague).

Oct 28, 2017
As long as Stephen King is involved in some way I'm in. He has always hinted that he had more to say about IT.
But, like, didn't he precede the town of Derry? Is it just going to be a non-clown Pennywise terrorizing fur trappers and loggers at the town's founding?

I'm thinking that would be the best way to approach it from ITs first appearance in Derry right up to the Loser's Club and then beyond. Could be a prequel and a sequel at the same time like Better Call Saul.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
While I'm a big King fan and have read basically all of his stuff, I do wonder if IT / Pennywise as the main attraction is an interesting angle. The book leans heavily on themes like growing up in a small town, abuse, losing / making friends, being an outsider, coming of age, some nostalgia regarding the 50s, adult fears, the list goes on. IT is mainly the monster tieing this group of people together throughout the decades. As usual, its about the characters, not the monster.

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Would be cool to see what sort of forms he took before settling on the clown one. We only get a glimpse in those stylized visions where he seemingly appeared as outright monsters that scared and killed people.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Saw "Welcome to Derry" and immediately thought they greenlit another Derry Girls series beyond the final season….this looks interesting too though

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Btw for King fans I wouldn't get hopes up on this until something is officially announced and it's greenlit to move forward.

The Overlook Hotel series looked like a done deal until it wasn't, and that could very well happen here again:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Overlook’ Hotel Drama From J.J. Abrams Being Shopped After HBO Max Pass

Sources say the spinoff of sorts from 'The Shining' is already generating interest from other buyers — with Netflix the frontrunner to land it — as Abrams plots his next moves, including directing HBO's 'Demimonde.'

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Torn on this tbh. There's stories Mike Hanlon finds while doing his "history" of Derry from the old timers, but it would of been awesome if they included the "tales of the missing" as well. Ideally I would of loved an HBO Max version of the film. Really be able to flesh it out in 2 seasons, but will definitely give this a shot

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
irrc theres like a whole chapter in the book thats devoted to nothing but stories of the towns history so there probably a lot of material to build off that alone

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't remember in the book if it really gives a concrete origin story, I thought IT was just kind of always there as a malevolent spirit. Depends what level of the Tower it's on I guess

On another note I wish Castle Rock had kept going

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There was a Overlook hotel prequel movie / series in the works -and the writer of it talked about the script on The Kingcast. It sounds like it would have been one of the greatest movies I've ever heard of. It was really inspired and genius. I'm devestated that we won't see it.

So while my first reaction to this is that it sounds unnecessary-I'll wait to see it to pass judgment because with the right people involved it could be special.