• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
She apparently lives in my home town(Georgetown, KY). I'm sure she will do fine there, in Lexington, in Louisville, etc. but I'd be surprised if she beats McConnell. He's not even well liked in Kentucky by Republicans but they know he will win so they fall in line rather than see Ky go blue (or more blue) again. I actually dislike Rocky Adkins but I see him doing better than Amy McGrath.

Last edited:

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Not going to lie, I voted for McConnell in 2008 for that reason (and because I knew Obama was going to win, and thought mixed party government was structurally better than single party control, especially after the Bush years).

It's not like my vote mattered individually, but I still regret it. When he came out shortly after and said, "My main priority is to make Obama a single term president," I knew I had made a huge mistake.

Bruh.

The Big Issues of the day were all foreign policy ones

BRUH.

No offense, friend. But you officially have the WORST political awareness ever.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Well isn't he working with his wife (Transportation Secretary Chao) to get more projects in Kentucky?

lmao are you kidding? the only parts of the state that will see anything are louisville and lexington, the areas that vote against him. in the eastern part of the state, which will reliably vote for him, will vote for whoever forwards the agenda of hate.

Not going to lie, I voted for McConnell in 2008 for that reason (and because I knew Obama was going to win, and thought mixed party government was structurally better than single party control, especially after the Bush years).

It's not like my vote mattered individually, but I still regret it. When he came out shortly after and said, "My main priority is to make Obama a single term president," I knew I had made a huge mistake.

wtf

Oct 27, 2017
Not justifying my vote because clearly it was wrong, but 2008 was a different time. The Big Issues of the day were all foreign policy ones (versus today when they're domestic problems) and the most dangerous wing of the GOP was evangelicals, not neo-Nazis. Many of Bush's worst excesses were enabled by a party that controlled all three branches of government, and Clinton had excelled under a GOP Congress.

No one (ancient proverbs excepted) expected republicans to lose their goddamned minds because there was a black president. I remember 2008 being McConnell's narrowest margin; I always wonder if there were enough dummies like me that could have ditched Mitch if their votes were different.
It was obvious white people would lose their mind when a black man held the highest office in America. There was centuries of evidence.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The funny thing about Mitch is he can spend all day courting Western Ky and other rural areas but won't live there or spend his off time there. He comes to the very city in Ky that hate him the most because he doesn't actually relate to those rural ky people, he just wants their votes.

Oct 28, 2017

Oy vey

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Amy's got my vote again, as she did against Andy Barr. But I fear the only thing that will remove Mitch from office is death by old age.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bruh.

BRUH.

No offense, friend. But you officially have the WORST political awareness ever.
The election was a foreign policy election all the way until the economy collapsed relatively right before voting day. Both Obama and McCain won their primaries mostly defined by foreign affairs positions. 2008 was a referendum on Bush, and specifically Iraq. Obama was president and not Hilary Clinton because of her war vote.

I voted wrong but I'm not wrong on the state of the U.S. at the time. I was finishing up my political science degree at the time actually (which to be fair, may disproportionately emphasize foreign policy).

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for your post. Obviously what you did was dumb and bad because Mitch is a fucking cancer, but it helps to stimulate discourse and make the thread more interesting rather than just having everyone come in and say the same thing over and over again.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all the cowardly losers who aren't running for much more winnable senate races than this one

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Yep, and he's still young for a reptile. I'm voting for who ever isn't him. Got to get Matt "I hate teachers" Bevin out first and then I'll worry about Mitch
I thought we had agreed on calling him Matt "teachers are responsible for child sexual abuse" Bevin.

Off Topic
Amy's got my vote again, as she did against Andy Barr. But I fear the only thing that will remove Mitch from office is death by old age.
I feel like I need to sub to your magazine knowing you are from Ky.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Maybe she'll get lucky and it turns out kentuckians will vote for anyone with "Mc" in their name

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is like going against the final boss when you're severely underleveled. She needs to level up first. No a Governor or hold statewide office. Turtle machine will be relentless. But I wish her the best of luck and hope Mitch gets bit by ass poison frog.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is it even possible for another republican to run against him? Frankly I have no idea how that would work so I am wondering.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heard her on MSNBC earlier today. I don't love that she seems pro-Trump, but tbh that's what it's going to take for a Dem to win Mitch's spot. Kentucky is Trump country and no one will ever beat the Turtle by opposing Trump there.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Heard her on MSNBC earlier today. I don't love that she seems pro-Trump, but tbh that's what it's going to take for a Dem to win Mitch's spot. Kentucky is Trump country and no one will ever beat the Turtle by opposing Trump there.
Is she pro-Trump, or could it be, by some far-fetched possiblity, she's saying that to get the pro-Trump fanbase, then ditches it if she gets elected. It would be dishonest, but it would also be a tinkle compared to the "Oh, you poor and middle class whites elected me to fight for you? Fuck that, I'm the rich corporations' BITCH! Imma dumping toxic waste in your backyard and making your lives even MORE harder!!!" bullshit Repbulicans do all the time.

I mean, maybe I'm just hoping for something better, because I want Mitch beaten SOOO bad.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is she pro-Trump, or could it be, by some far-fetched possiblity, she's saying that to get the pro-Trump fanbase, then ditches it if she gets elected. It would be dishonest, but it would also be a tinkle compared to the "Oh, you poor and middle class whites elected me to fight for you? Fuck that, I'm the rich corporations' BITCH! Imma dumping toxic waste in your backyard and making your lives even MORE harder!!!" bullshit Repbulicans do all the time.

I mean, maybe I'm just hoping for something better, because I want Mitch beaten SOOO bad.

Hard to say. The angle she took this morning was that Trump promised to bring back coal jobs and to drain the swamp, and McConnel has blocked him from doing so. I took it as her trying to get the pro-Trump population to be anti-Mitch.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
McGrath got convinced to do it to make sure she loses that writeoff election instead of the other one in the house that's winnable that she very likely cost the Dems in 2018.

She was close in 2018. She's playing against a stacked deck, much like Beto was in Texas.

The biggest challenge will be keeping progressive Dems from kneecapping her during the contest. She's very much a centrist, and supported by Schumer. McConnell won't have to bother with any of his oppo research (his team started tracking McGrath back in Feb) if the Dems do the attack job for him.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was close in 2018. She's playing against a stacked deck, much like Beto was in Texas.

The biggest challenge will be keeping progressive Dems from kneecapping her during the contest. She's very much a centrist, and supported by Schumer. McConnell won't have to bother with any of his oppo research (his team started tracking McGrath back in Feb) if the Dems do the attack job for him.
The problem is that in the primary she ran to the left of Jim Gray, who had previously carried the district in a statewide election. And then proceeded to lose the race by a margin that was small enough to suggest that the more moderate candidate probably would have won it. This was a big issue for the Justice Dem-sponsored/style insurgent candidacies in open primaries in 2018 and it's what led to them (correctly) abandoning future primaries of sitting incumbents outside of safe blue seats. (The real test comes if they can avoid the temptation to jump in hard to the left when it's an open primary in a contested battleground seat.)

Recruiting McGrath to take on Turtle is a smart, yet hyper-Machiavellian move from whoever convinced her to do it.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Recruiting McGrath to take on Turtle is a smart, yet hyper-Machiavellian move from whoever convinced her to do it.

It was Schumer who convinced her to run for the seat.

And yeah, the previous threats from Justice Dems to contest the primary of anyone who doesn't align with them could kill her chances.

This is a race where party has to come over purity if you want to flip the seat. A liberal D isn't going to win here. A centrist might.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's running as a pro-Trump Democrat. This has got to be the dumbest state in this country

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

She'll just pretend to be "Pro-Trump", then will revert back to being a progressive once she's officially in the Senate chair, should she win.

She's running as a pro-Trump Democrat. This has got to be the dumbest state in this country

It's a strategy. She's not going to beat McConnell by being a straight progressive.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Only hope is "Mitch will take away your healthcare" line works. A lot of people in Kentucky are on medicaid.
Republicans will still vote against their own interests to avoid the things they absolutely hate.

We've had more than a few threads on here alone about white people not wanting public health care for instance to save themselves when they need it just because they don't want minorities to have the same thing.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
McConnell's gonna win, obviously. Why do Red States elect such garbage?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Zhm3WgW.png

Doing my part, contribution on ActBlue. I don't know what her chances are, as the people of KY seem to adore voting against their own self interests, but hoping my $50 helps.

I used PayPal but it said credit card. That's weird, will have to look into it.

Last edited: