• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
She allegedly "completed" a racial biased course. attended five therapy sessions on "racial identities".

Cooper was facing a misdemeanor charge for falsely reporting an assault during an encounter with Christian Cooper (no relation), who asked her to leash her dog in the Central Park Ramble on May 25, 2020.

She infamously became known as "Central Park Karen" after the encounter — which Christian Cooper recorded on his cellphone — went viral.

During Tuesday's hearing, prosecutors asked the judge to dismiss the charge against her after Cooper completed the therapy sessions "which focused on the ways in which Ms. Cooper could appreciate that racial identities shape our lives but we cannot use them to harm ourselves or others," Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi said during the hearing.

Source: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/amy-cooper-charge-dismissed-central-park

edit 1: It wasn't a Course on Racial Bias.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying second chances are wrong, I'm saying this shit happens over and over because fragile whites get them handed out like free candy.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Those 5 sessions probably ran her about $1k. Public shaming, I think she lost the dog, lost her job, a "fine" in all but name. Seems proportional to her offense. Surely no one here thinks society or this person are well served by putting her in prison?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Didn't the guy she harassed say that he thought the charges should've been dropped because he accepted an apology from her and believed she learned her lesson? I thought I remember hearing that. If he's okay with it then I'm not gonna get super upset about this.

Now if they could apply this same type of leniency to PoC who are charged with less dangerous crimes that'd be nice.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
So she made a false police report, was charged for making a false police report, then that was dismissed on grounds that she took a therapy session??

Do all laws work like that?!? Excuse me while I go rob a liquor store and then take a class about how stealing is wrong.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what?? I thought I knew this story, but I definitely missed something.

Calling the cops on Black people.... is what he is saying

Which... can be considered attempted murder these days sadly

Doubly so since she claimed she was assaulted which would result in a more aggressive police response from the get go

This person knew what she was doing.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Those 5 sessions probably ran her about $1k. Public shaming, I think she lost the dog, lost her job, a "fine" in all but name. Seems proportional to her offense. Surely no one here thinks society or this person are well served by putting her in prison?

in a country where cops don't senselessly shoot down POC on a regular basis, you might have had a point

but nothing you just described is proportional to an innocent man's life being put in immediate danger for no reason

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the way it is worded. Like it was mental illiness

Oct 27, 2017
None of that has anything to do with anything. Public shaming isn't a a judicial decision. Losing your job isn't a judicial decision. Other stuff that happens as a result of you committing a crime is irrelevant

Jul 19, 2020
Surely no one here thinks society or this person are well served by putting her in prison?
Trying to involve the cops in a civil dispute because you know they will likely use (possibly lethal) force against the black man you're falsely claiming is making you fear for your life should be treated as attempted murder as far as I'm concerned.

And I don't think attempted murder should be punished so lightly or the perpetrators considered reformed so quickly.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
What do you think calling the cops on a black person while faking being scared for her life would do?
She told the cops that a black man was threatening her life. He could have very well been killed.

Doubly so since she claimed she was assaulted which would result in a more aggressive police response from the get go

Got it, I see what you mean. Sorry, I thought the poster meant that she did something physical to threaten him.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
In a statement on Twitter Tuesday, Cooper's lawyer Robert Barnes thanked the DA's office for dismissing the charges against her.

"Others rushed to the wrong conclusion based on inadequate investigation & they may yet face legal consequences," he said.

In more news from the 'Not knowing when to shut the fuck up' department.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
America is a white country. The laws are lenient and work towards you if you're white. The black and brown people who actually built this country are also bound by the same laws but effectively the laws are much harsher for them. It is judicial apartheid.

OP
OP

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
The guy forgave her and said the penalties were too harsh. This is going according to his wishes. Not everything needs to be scorched earth

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US

From my point of view as someone who doesn't live in the USA, I'd say that no government institution is going to take that into account, because that would mean admitting the problem America has with racism.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The guy forgave her and said the penalties were too harsh. This is going according to his wishes. Not everything needs to be scorched earth

That is true. However, it doesn't matter as the law makes it The State vs Karen. Not Victim vs Karen.

The Victim can forgive all they want (good for them!!! Forgiveness is the one thing Jesus got right) but it means shitall to the justice system once the state picks up the case. And that's how it should be. That's how we keep justice blind and impartial, instead of all vengeancy and whatnot.

It also keeps victims from using the state as their personal gang, to be called off at will. Once you call the cops, THEY decide when it's over.

Too many times tragically, but that's another topic.

Commanderbuck

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about scorched earth, nobody here is asking for her to get the death penalty. We are tired of seeing this same thing play out over and over again. Watching White folks get the lightest punishment punishment possible, while Black and Brown folks get the most severe. It's enough to drive you insane.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Things aren't going to get better until white people stop getting let off the hook.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, she falsely reported a black man being aggressive and threatening her life. She could easily done that terrible thing without saying what kind of race the person was. She knew exactly what she was doing in order to get the other person in trouble or worse.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
She shoulda got jail time. Fuck her.
Yeah she got publicly shamed and lost so much, but jail woulda been the cherry on top for basically almost killing the guy by falsifying the report.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of pandering to the woman and how much she has overcome and deserves a second chance.

Not against second chances at all, but the severity of what she attempted seems to be being ignored. Even if you could accept the outcome in terms of what she had to do and if she had given good indication to show she had changed, the focus and tone of this is all fucking wrong.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017

I think we need a national racist list akin to the sex affender list to track and shame these people.

Calling the cops to say that she was being assaulted by a Black man is an attempt to cause bodily harm, trauma, and or death.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I think we need a national racist list akin to the sex affender list to track and shame these people.

Calling the cops to say that she was being assaulted by a Black man is an attempt to cause bodily harm, trauma, and or death.

That list would be too massive unfortunately

Oct 31, 2017
The way she seamlessly transformed into a distressed white woman claiming to be assaulted shows how casual whites use the police against black

And she made a false police report to attempt them to commit murder for her simply because a black man told her to obey the park rules

Of course she gets a slap on the wrist.
Everything in her life has affirmed that she will never face real consequences for anything she could do

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

She knew exactly what she was doing. She was offended and wanted this man to be punished.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that lawyer sounds like an asshole.

One of the challenges with the transition to predominantly restorative justice from our traditional system of punitive justice is that some people will be perceived as benefiting from the transition and receiving lighter sentences than they would otherwise while others will have the opposite problem, not receiving the lighter sentences they truly deserve, simply depending on when their particular situation happened and who happened to be in charge of the local prosecutor's office at the time. This makes it really hard to identify whether particular decisions are based on the old standards or the new ones and provides an easy opening for people viewing them from the outside to read corrupt or unjust motives into the result. I can't help but worry that such ambiguity could do real harm to the cause of true justice for all.

I tend to agree that it feels light but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know?

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
I'm not saying she should go to prison for a thousand years, but perhaps they should have actually tried her and found her guilty based on the massive amount of extremely obvious evidence? It's not like it would be hard. They don't even have to lock her up at all if they don't want to!

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Didn't the guy she harassed say that he thought the charges should've been dropped because he accepted an apology from her and believed she learned her lesson? I thought I remember hearing that. If he's okay with it then I'm not gonna get super upset about this.

Now if they could apply this same type of leniency to PoC who are charged with less dangerous crimes that'd be nice.

You're correct.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020

That's the real takeaway, isn't it?

POC getting railroaded or even killed over petty shit while fragile white assholes not only get let off the hook but they actualyl use that advantage to terrorize people of color, which is precisely what this piece of shit Karen did.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Well served by jailing dangerous sociopaths who calls hits on people for simply being black in their general vicinity? Absolutely.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She completed the sentence so the charges were dropped, like any diversion program. Restorative justice is a good, science-based, approach. Our punishment-first justice system is a rampant failure