• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats have lost this one pretty solidly.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I was listening to this earlier and Sasse asked her the "five freedoms" of the 1st Amendment and she notably forgot one in her answer (freedom to petition), which is pretty embarrassing for a nominee to the highest court of the country.

To be absolutely 100% fair it gets the least amount of attention, especially since there isn't as much debate regarding it as their is for speech, religion, press, and assembly.

Oct 25, 2017
Also still not sure why having a law professor on the list matters? It's not about her qualifications in law, but rather them imploring that she doesn't not let herself be nominated before november as a partisan ploy, and that she also respects RBG's final wish.
Presumably, a law professor would have a more full and nuanced understanding of ACB's shortcomings as a SCOTUS justice than say... a random English or music professor.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
To be absolutely 100% fair it gets the least amount of attention, especially since there isn't as much debate regarding it as their is for speech, religion, press, and assembly.

That's true and everyone can make mistakes with softball questions, I would just expect a law professor and sitting justice on an appeals court would have that off the dome.

Jun 26, 2018
Presumably, a law professor would have a more full and nuanced understanding of ACB's shortcomings as a SCOTUS justice than say... a random English or music professor.
Again, they aren't making a case about her qualifications? They're asking her to not let herself be nominated before november because of the potential ramifications on america's politics it might have.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, they aren't making a case about her qualifications? They're asking her to not let herself be nominated before november because of the potential ramifications on america's politics it might have.
Yeah, but that's just the demographics of the profession, I'd bet if you polled them, 60-75% of college professors would agree with that. Law professors would have more directly applicable concerns.

Jun 26, 2018
Yeah, but that not really surprising, I'd bet if you polled them, 60-75% of college professors would agree with that. That's just the demographics of the profession. Law professors would have more directly applicable concerns.

Okay, don't know why it has to be "suprising"? I was just trying to get at why it might have been seen as "significant", I wasn't actually saying it was, and I certainly don't care enough to argue about it

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
"Look, I'm only here to do what I'm told by the GOP. I can't answer all of these confusing questions without asking them first."

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Par for the course, the GOP doesn't believe in the First Amendment. For anyone except themselves, of course.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA

This is like, the test you give to idiot right wingers to trip them up into saying "right to bear arms". Un-fucking-real.

Jesus he didn't even ask her to explain them or go into what they mean to her or anything, just a simple junior high level constitution pop quiz, and she STILL fucked it up.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I guess I'm wondering, her claim for every single question is that she can not make any claims or affirmation towards any thing. What has been precedent for past confirmation hearings? What is the point of holding these if a confirmation hearing can't actually get any positions aired out?
We have past decisions, opinions, and proclamation she's signed on to that makes me not trust she won't vote to steal my right to marriage.

Allfer2

Feb 21, 2019
I guess I'm wondering, her claim for every single question is that she can not make any claims or affirmation towards any thing. What has been precedent for past confirmation hearings? What is the point of holding these if a confirmation hearing can't actually get any positions aired out?
We have past decisions, opinions, and proclamation she's signed on to that makes me not trust she won't vote to steal my right to marriage.

She's going way broader with her unwillingness to answer these sort of questions then past nominees have. Senator Blumenthal even pointed out quotes from prior nominees who are currently on the court, including Roberts and Thomas, who answered the exact question she was refusing to answer based on her "I can't comment on precedent" excuse.

Oct 29, 2017
She's going way broader with her unwillingness to answer these sort of questions then past nominees have. Senator Blumenthal even pointed out quotes from prior nominees who are currently on the court, including Roberts and Thomas, who answered the exact question she was refusing to answer based on her "I can't comment on precedent" excuse.
Ah so in the past we've gotten more then. Kind of sneaky way to basically hide who she is. What was her comment when told that roberts and Thomas had answered it before?

Allfer2

Feb 21, 2019
Ah so in the past we've gotten more then. Kind of sneaky way to basically hide who she is. What was her comment when told that roberts and Thomas had answered it before?

Basically the same "I won't grade precedent" answer. It was on a case that held that married couples had a right to privacy that included a right to not be criminalized for purchasing contraception, so if I remember correctly she also said a bit how she didn't believe any American feared that buying contraception would be criminalized.

Allfer2

Feb 21, 2019
Democrats have lost this one pretty solidly.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? There isn't really a ton Democrats can do here. They know Republicans have the votes to confirm Barrett, and nothing they say in these hearings is going to change that. Especially when Barrett refuses to answer almost any questions on her opinion of legal opinions/issues.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Worth keeping in mind. Democrats have succeeded in making this woman the most unpopular SCOTUS nominee in recent history.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's pretty apparent to anyone that to hold extreme right wing views means that you can't be a very intelligent person.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
must feel so good to be her. knowing you already had the position before this event even started. damn.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Maybe she should have notes?

must feel so good to be her. knowing you already had the position before this event even started. damn.
For real, I really cant watch much of this because its an obvious farce, the notes thing I saw on twitter tho pisses me off so much, such a manufactured thing. She doesnt need anything because it literally doesnt matter what she says. But wow let's also make sure to ask her about the blank notepad and feign being impressed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How is approval for Barrett lower than Kavanaugh? The fuck??

Republicans went ALL IN on "No Supreme Court Justices in an Election Year" in 2016. They clearly won the public over to that argument. Now they're rushing this woman with mere weeks before the election in 2020.

I think that's the big reason why she has lower approval ratings than Kavanaugh.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I wonder if Amy Barrett understands deep down that no one views her as a respectable or legitimate judge.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How is approval for Barrett lower than Kavanaugh? The fuck??
election year, more focus on her being catholic then Kavanaugh, and she's a women which also has an impact i'd imagine.

I wonder if Amy Barrett understands deep down that no one views her as a respectable or legitimate judge.

Conservatives don't give a shit, they have their eyes on the prize which is something liberals should learn from.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Republicans went ALL IN on "No Supreme Court Justices in an Election Year" in 2016. They clearly won the public over to that argument. Now they're rushing this woman with mere weeks before the election in 2020.

I think that's the big reason why she has lower approval ratings than Kavanaugh.

This. In addition they are doing this all while ignoring pushing legislation to help Americans hurting due to COVID and its effects on the country.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
If Democrats take the White House and the Senate and keep the House? It might!
While I'm not very hopeful myself, I'm hoping that my cynicism is dead wrong.
My hope is the approval for the Supreme Court being so low opens up the country supporting adding justices.
Well I'm not entirely sure how much pressure there needs to be for that to happen but with Biden saying "he is not a fan of that" I'm like how high are the chances of that actually happening even if Democrats win everything relevant. There is too many times where Democrats prefer to take the L just to have the moral high ground.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is none of the theoretically elected officials will have the stomach for it regardless of how much the court's approval rating craters.

It's pretty obvious that we need the Democrats to take the White House and Senate (and keep the House), and then put pressure on them to fix the Courts after what the Right Wing has done.

Aug 12, 2019
It's pretty obvious that we need the Democrats to take the White House and Senate (and keep the House), and then put pressure on them to fix the Courts after what the Right Wing has done.

Even if Dems take the trifecta, I seriously doubt they'll do anything about the courts other than just continue operating the system same as always while hoping they get lucky enough to get a Justice while they hold the Presidency and the Senate theoretically over the next 4 years. There is nothing to suggest they have an appetite for reckoning with the complete take over of the courts that has occurred in the past 4 years. Deciding to pack the Supreme Court would be admitting that the system is a failure as a whole, and I just don't see Dems being able to admit that on any fundamental level. When Schumer threatened nuclear options it seemed like a bluff and it still does.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Well I'm not entirely sure how much pressure there needs to be for that to happen but with Biden saying "he is not a fan of that" I'm like how high are the chances of that actually happening even if Democrats win everything relevant. There is too many times where Democrats prefer to take the L just to have the moral high ground.
Biden doesn't have to be a fan of court packing. All he needs to do is hold his nose and do what we want him to do.

I also see his tune changing very quickly when the Trumped up Supreme Court starts going after the ACA and Roe V Wade.