• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I played Echoes before Prime

Me too. And Prime 1 just felt a little truncated, when playing them in that order. Still an amazing game, but I remember getting to the final boss and being like "no, that can't be it. I must have missed a huge section of this game". But no, Prime 2 is just such a vastly larger, more challenging and more exciting game imo.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Metroid Prime was not only ahead of its time it's.

A.

Master.

Piece.

There hasn't been a game released since that scratches the same itch. Nintendo where in the hell is the Switch version of the Prime Trilogy? :(

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
My favorite game of all time. I was looking forward to an average shooter but was blown away. I remember an EGM reviewer saying it was like someone went six years into the future and brought back this game. That's honestly what it felt like. An absolute masterpiece.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Prime was an incredible achievement in game design. I'm still shocked they were able to do this in 2002.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
and this from a mod

giphy.gif

I am aware of my shame. 😭

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's a shame that FPS in general ignored its existence, because it had a lot of incredible ideas. I feel that it's only with Doom 2016 that someone said: oh, that are things from Metroid Prime that we can use to make an great FPS.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I've wanted to replay it but I have been holding out for like 18 months now in hopes of that fabled Metroid Prime Trilogy HD on Switch.

Maybe I'll just break down load it into Dolphin :\

That's where I'm at 😭

I still have my Steel book trilogy collection, but I don't have a Wii to play it on. Been waiting on that Switch trilogy, but at this point, I might as well fiddle around with Dolphin, even though I really don't want to.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the part in the Phazon mines where its pitch black except for the phazon and mushrooms lighting the area a bit. There is an eerie silence except for the humming of the radiation around you and the metroids moving around.

The atmosphere in this game is just second to none. Nothing else gives this sense of being alone in an alien world.

Oct 29, 2017
I really love being reminded constantly how stupid I was for not only selling my GameCube but my Wii and Wii U, all in thinking that the switch would eventually get *place retro game here*. I just watch let's plays when I want the nostalgia hit.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
The map design and atmosphere was incredible. I could do with less scanning though, found that to be a really boring mechanic. The epitome of telling not showing.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I was very back and forth between consoles and PC and even though my extent of playing Metroid was trying the first game at friends and never really getting anywhere/understanding what to do I kinda randomly picked up a GC bundle with MP, I remember just being blown away at the title screen and knowing that I was in for some cool shit.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Holy shit. You are right. There are no other 3d metroidvanias now that I think about it. I wonder why an indie dev is not making a prime like game. Weird.

I would like to take this moment to plug Journey to the Savage Planet. it's a light hearted indie game clearly lovingly inspired by metroid prime. its relatively short at around 15 hours. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The game does a lot visually but still decides to throw (at times) walls of text at you. I wish they communicated more of it visually or kept the scans more vague.

I'd have to look through some of them to see what you mean. Stuff like having space pirates limping amid dismembered corpses of their former crewmates tells a lot visually, and the player doesn't need to scan them to tell something bad happened to them. Optional scanning was probably the perfect form of unobtrusive world-building, especially for when that came came out.

I'm real curious what specifically could've been done better—what scan logs weren't conveyed enough visually, and exactly how could those instances be done better?

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played. Bought a Switch with Prime 4 was announced. Somewhat regretting that.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I'd have to look through some of them to see what you mean. Stuff like having space pirates limping amid dismembered corpses of their former crewmates tells a lot visually, and the player doesn't need to scan them to tell something bad happened to them. Optional scanning was probably the perfect form of unobtrusive world-building, especially for when that came came out.

I'm real curious what specifically could've been done better—what scan logs weren't conveyed enough visually, and exactly how could those instances be done better?
I guess my thing is why have scan logs at all, or so many of them, if the info is conveyed visually. At a certain point I felt obligated to read them in case there was some important lore tucked away inside.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
I guess my thing is why have scan logs at all, or so many of them, if the info is conveyed visually. At a certain point I felt obligated to read them in case there was some important lore tucked away inside.
Gotta agree. I don't have a better solution to offer, but at some point I found myself feeling like I have to scan the entire environment in each room after clearing it, which killed the pace of the game.

Maybe that's on me and I'm not sure I felt that way when it came out (and loved it to hell and back), but I attempted to replay it recently and had to put that idea to rest fairly quickly once I was put in this "scanning mindset".

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
For a Metroid title, Metroid Prime wasn't exactly the best...

But in its own right, they had a lot to live up to, and Retro Studios managing to nail 80-90% of what people desired in a Metroid game in 3D is an accomplishment in and of itself.

I also mostly agree with The Geek Critique's arguments about Prime's flaws.

But overall, it is a series that definitely should be experienced.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta agree. I don't have a better solution to offer, but at some point I found myself feeling like I have to scan the entire environment in each room after clearing it, which killed the pace of the game.

Maybe that's on me and I'm not sure I felt that way when it came out (and loved it to hell and back), but I attempted to replay it recently and had to put that idea to rest fairly quickly once I was put in this "scanning mindset".
Did it feel like the game was lacking after ignoring scanning? So much of it is optional—and conveyed as optional—that I don't get what makes it a problem. It also doesn't take a long time to scan anything, and I don't recall scan points being hard to find.

Would definitely be interested in ideas on how they could actually be improved, because they seem like the perfect approach, if not the most perfect implementation at the time.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
Did it feel like the game was lacking after ignoring scanning? So much of it is optional—and conveyed as optional—that I don't get what makes it a problem. It also doesn't take a long time to scan anything, and I don't recall scan points being hard to find.

Would definitely be interested in ideas on how they could actually be improved, because they seem like the perfect approach, if not the most perfect implementation at the time.
You're absolutely right, it's optional and I can still get behind that design decision. Matter of fact, I truly hope Prime 4 doesn't flip the table on that principle. And thinking back again, I doubt that I hated scanning when it came out, I probably even liked it. I was surprised to feel the way I did about it when I tried to return to it after 15 years or so.

I'm someone who cares about the lore of the games I'm really into, so I can't ignore it. But in order to make sure that I don't miss any of the cool little details in this game, I have to scan (almost) every room. The game leaves you with no other choice in this, especially since sometimes they're being a bit sneaky with the more secretive scan points. I'm absolutely certain that this gameplay loop can be improved upon. Edit: Heck, they probably didn't even intend it to be a "gameplay loop" like that.
Maybe a better way to go about it IMO would be to have fewer but much more prominent/blatant rooms to update you on the backstory of your surroundings. I don't love that either, because for some land marks I still appreciate a small blurb then and there. I'm truly excited to see what the dev team comes up with here, I can say that.

All I know is: 15 years and way too many games later, scanning the world left me with the strong notion that, while breathing a lot of life into the game, FUN this is certainly not.
Lastly yes, you're also correct in that scanning an entire room sounds like a much bigger undertaking than it is, but even a routine of 5 seconds takes you out of the game very quickly.

Last edited:

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I was playing a bit of the gamecube version recently, and I just have to say how much I admire the control scheme in the original. Sure, it's outdated by the wiimote controls in the trilogy version, but there's something unique about the OG controls. It's astonishing that they manged to make a first person game control so well using only one analog stick. Being able to lock your view with the L-Trigger works perfectly well for platforming and strafing, and I still love how Samus has to crane her neck slower the further up she looks. It's clunky, sure... in a similar way that the controls for Super Metroid were clunky. But the whole thing just helps convey the fact that you are wearing a 2-ton space suit to protect yourself in an alien world. The way Prime controls lends itself to the game perfectly, and I think it makes for an interesting way to play the game - even though I'll admit that the Wiimote controls are more accurate and in some instances, more "fun".