• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 10, 2018
Absolute masterpiece, unparalleled level design and exploration

The only criticism I have would be the lock on auto aim (I'd much prefer free aim instead) and the fetch quest filler near the end of the game, other than that it's perfection.

Also, where's my Prime trilogy for Switch Nintendo, any day now.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is indeed very fucking awesome.

I'm one of those people who prefer Echoes to Prime 1 though all three Prime games are fantastic.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The game was also a technical masterpiece.

- 60fps with water ripples, dynamic lighting, bump maps, high geometry, complex particle system, and various full screen effects like the visor.
- Still the best camera system ever made in a game. Transitioning from ball to first person in such cramped environments is no small feat. First person platforming actually works. Custom camera setups everywhere. The morphball stays in view almost all the time no matter the geometry, or how fast the ball is accelerating or in which direction. Shout out to the programmer mostly responsible for it, who sadly died too young from cancer a few years after Prime. Another of the main programmers also died young a few years ago, one of the co-founders of Bluepoint.
- First ever console game to have ragdolls.

So many other little details in the game. Like... when you fire the charged ice beam at something, the ice extends behind the enemy in the direction it was hit. I remember showing that to someone who was near the end of the game and some other features too they hadn't noticed, and they couldn't believe it.

The fetch quest at the end sucked. I think the game came together so late (and with sooooo much crunch) they didn't realize how big the game already was when that padding was added.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I've never actually touched any of the Prime games, somehow. I really ought to fix that one of these days, though I wonder if it still holds up as well on a first playthrough at this point.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a standard. If they don't accomplish a similar feat with 4 will people be let down?

If Prime 4 is even half as good as Prime 1 after all this time, considering whatever dev turnover has occurred within Retro, it will be nothing short of a miracle. Asking for another Prime is like asking for another RE4. Is it impossible? No, but the fire in which the game was forged and the specificity of that release, at that time, on that console can never truly be replicated in the same way. An equivalent game in 2022 would be a Breath of The Wild tier release, and those don't just happen.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
The game was also a technical masterpiece.

- 60fps with water ripples, dynamic lighting, bump maps, high geometry, complex particle system, and various full screen effects like the visor.
- Still the best camera system ever made in a game. Transitioning from ball to first person in such cramped environments is no small feat. First person platforming actually works. Custom camera setups everywhere. The morphball stays in view almost all the time no matter the geometry, or how fast the ball is accelerating or in which direction. Shout out to the programmer mostly responsible for it, who sadly died too young from cancer a few years after Prime. Another of the main programmers also died young a few years ago, one of the co-founders of Bluepoint.
- First ever console game to have ragdolls.

So many other little details in the game. Like... when you fire the charged ice beam at something, the ice extends behind the enemy in the direction it was hit. I remember showing that to someone who was near the end of the game and some other features too they hadn't noticed, and they couldn't believe it.

The fetch quest at the end sucked. I think the game came together so late (and with sooooo much crunch) they didn't realize how big the game already was when that padding was added.

Hah. I was almost going to bring up the physics engine because I thought it would have gone in your first bullet point.

I remember recognizing primes excellent physics engine way back when, spent likely far far too long blasting pirates off of edges and watching the show..... but was it really the first console game to do rag dolls? I did not know that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I was going to bring up the physics engine because I thought it would have gone in your first bullet point.

I remember recognizing primes excellent physics engine way back when, spent likely far far too long blasting pirates off if edges and watching the show..... but was it really the first console game to do rag dolls?
Yes. Hitman released on PC just before Prime and had ragdolls.

Yeah the physics on the ball were amazing. Also largely the work of that other programmer I mentioned who died a few years ago.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Like Super Metroid, it took me a while to understand Prime, through Prime Hunters, but when I did, it definitely cemented itself as one of the best games I ever played. In fact, as far as my favorite Metroids go, its the only Metroid game that is on par with Super in every metric.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Nintendo doesn't release Prime HD next year I'm selling my Switch.

And I love my Switch.

Please Nintendo.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. You are right. There are no other 3d metroidvanias now that I think about it. I wonder why an indie dev is not making a prime like game. Weird.
I feel like Soul Reaver is a 3D metroidvania. It's not a first person shooter, but still a 3D game structured like a metroidvania and quite amazing.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Best game ever made. I first played it at a friend's house for about five hours. I was blown away. I quickly traded my PS2 in for a Gamecube and never regretted my decision.

To think this and Fusion both came out at the same time and are now both my favourite games!

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the game at all but happy for you all

Sabre

Jul 2, 2018
Prime 1 is my favorite game ever and 2 and 3 were close. Definitely ahead of their time.

Holy shit. You are right. There are no other 3d metroidvanias now that I think about it. I wonder why an indie dev is not making a prime like game. Weird.
The Prime games are definitely undisputed champions of 3D metroidvania, but there are some others. For example, I felt Control was a pretty good metroidvania.

Last edited:

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Metroid Prime 1 is probably my favourite game of all time.

Totally agree with everything OP said, the transition from 2D to 3D is just perfection and the way they implemented the sense of loneliness and exploration was sublime.

Years ahead of its time. I wish I could play it again any day now on switch/pro.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Metroid Prime for the first time right now (With M+KB controls via PrimeHack and HD textures).
I've never been into Metroid but I recently played through Metroid Fusion and really enjoyed it.

So far I'm kinda meh on the game. So far I've found four Chozo artifacts.
The game can be a little bit confusing sometimes since I forget how to reach certain areas again. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting time because I'm running the wrong way. Not a huge fan of the map.
The lore scanning is alright, but I'm already kinda burned out on scanning every room. Atmosphere is great though and the upgrades are fun.
I'll probably stick with it but so far I prefer 2D Metroid.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
the art direction is superb, the soundtrack is wonderful, and it comes together to create some great atmosphere.

Feb 16, 2018
i liked the game a lot

but i didn't think it was that much ahead of its time when it was new. it was mostly a very good set of levels

what i remember being most impressed by was the 3D map. that was probably the best UI i had ever seen in a game
graphics and soundtrack were also excellent

if i hadn't played n64 zelda before, then i would probably be more impressed by it
but just because some puzzles/exploration happened in a FPS instead of in 3rd person wasn't the remarkable part for me

maybe i was just used to the rapid innovation of that era and thought it was normal. if i knew how rare good 3D level design was, then i would probably have appreciated it even more. but i had no context at the time. i thought it would be completely normal to just get games better than ocarina of time every year.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
This is one game Miyamoto doesn't get enough credit for. The man had the guts to turn Metroid into a first person game.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Well, that's it, time for a replay. I probably revisit Super Metroid the most out of the series as it's quite short to beat if you know what you're doing, but time to go back to MP1 now, maybe with the M+K mod for the first time.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the fandom for this game. The music and menus are nice, but the game is so annoying to play with the overbearing hud and all the visor vision modes and scanning and crap. I finished it back in the day and thought it had some interesting parts but it was such a dud after Super Metroid. It's also such a drag to put the thing into first person so you can't see samus and her most iconic abilities can't even apply anymore.

I'm still waiting for a worthy successor to Super Metroid, it has yet to happen

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand the fandom for this game. The music and menus are nice, but the game is so annoying to play with the overbearing hud and all the visor vision modes and scanning and crap. I finished it back in the day and thought it had some interesting parts but it was such a dud after Super Metroid. It's also such a drag to put the thing into first person so you can't see samus and her most iconic abilities can't even apply anymore.

I'm still waiting for a worthy successor to Super Metroid, it has yet to happen
🤡

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that the Metroid series has had (at least) two groundbreaking games that are revered even today, but yet they never seem to sell like other popular series from Nintendo or elsewhere.

And yeah, I feel like the current core gaming trend touches many points that Metroid Prime hit back in 2002.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, OP, yes.

Among the bajillion things I love about this game, the simplicity of this scene (Samus looking at the destroyed Artifact Temple) always gets me.

Oct 26, 2017
Such a bizarre development story. Nintendo and Retro obviously must have done a lot right, but at the same time many of those mistakes seem pretty damn obvious. Guess the industry was very different back then and hindsight is 20/20 and all.

My main takeaway from that video is that Nintendo must have lost their confidence after the success of PlayStation, because they acted in a manner that seems rather clueless when founding a new western studio.

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I liked it. For some reason I got lost and abandoned it, never to complete. Almost picked back up when 360 had red rings, but finished Wind Waker instead. Then traded GameCube.

I'm awful.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. For some reason I got lost and abandoned it, never to complete. Almost picked back up when 360 had red rings, but finished Wind Waker instead. Then traded GameCube.

I'm awful.

and this from a mod

giphy.gif

Dopply

Nov 27, 2020
Metroid Prime is one of my all-time favorites, it's truly a masterpiece. I replay it every year.

I guess the only thing that gives me pause is that the development of the game required extreme crunch and took a huge toll on the team, a majority of which left when the game was completed (read this article which OP's video almost completely took all of their info from, haha). It almost makes me feel guilty, but I guess I'd rather enjoy the game they made in spite of that rather than lament its existence.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's such an amazing template for the best game ever; Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.