• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a bad move for the game but I guess it's easier than trying convert everyone over to a sequel.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I get the reasoning behind this move, but;

I thought they said the messy code and structure prevented them from substantially upgrading and maintaining the game and that was one of the main reasons they were making a sequel?

But not to make it another Culling/Culling2 it's better to work on just the one game, and give it a major overhaul patch when able.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like a good idea in the long run, considering they already said stuff like the netcode can never be fixed unless they make a new game.
There's nothing that you can do with a sequel that you can't also do via a patch. They can delete the entire game and rebuild it from scratch and still call it Among Us 1.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a bad move for the game but I guess it's easier than trying convert everyone over to a sequel.

The only way it's a bad move is they're going to lose out on making a lot of people buy a 2nd version.

Instead they generate a ridiculous amount of good will, get to do everything they were going to do with Among Us 2 anyways, and sell skins even harder which is already the most profitable business model on the market as is.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
That's crazy. Any programmer would tell you that it would be much more reasonable to make something new instead of trying to rework old code like that. Props for the team though, hope they don't burn out.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Remaking an entire game and releasing it as an update isn't out of the question- games have done that before (like Gang Beasts).

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this works out for them. The game is incredibly popular at the moment, and I hope they can update it often enough before the population drops off or for someone releases something that pulls off the genre better.

It came out two years ago.
Regardless, they hadn't even started working on a sequel until the game took off in popularity these past couple months.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hope it's just a case of them remaking it under the hood as an "Update" rather than continuing on with the current Tower of Duct Tape. Even from an exterior perspective I can see some core technical issues that can't just simply be painted-over long-term.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is an awesome move and I really appreciate the devs' decision to support their current playerbase. The game was already such a good value at $5, that I would be happy to pay more to support the large amount of work they'll be doing to add more content to Among Us 1.

Oct 27, 2017
I was really confused when I found out they were even considering a sequel at this stage.

Surely with the numbers this game is pulling, the path of least resistance was to drip feed more content into it and keep streamers coming back without a major shake up in the status quo... there's a reason there's no 'Fortnite Battle Royale 2'.

Glad someone on the dev team agrees with me.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Game is starting to feel a bit dated from streaming communities. I see a lot more "NEW GAME" in chat every time I hop into a popular streamer playing the game. I fear this is just a flash in the pan and they'll be updating a dead game.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I was really confused when I found out they were even considering a sequel at this stage.

Surely with the numbers this game is pulling, the path of least resistance was to drip feed more content into it and keep streamers coming back without a major shake up in the status quo... there's a reason there's no 'Fortnite Battle Royale 2'.

Glad someone on the dev team agrees with me.

I mean they had been working on Among Us 2 for a long while. Among Us 1 has been out for 2 years, it's only in the last 2 weeks did it blow up.

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing that you can do with a sequel that you can't also do via a patch. They can delete the entire game and rebuild it from scratch and still call it Among Us 1.
This.
The reason to do this is to sell dlc to your current base of players instead of releasing a sequel and hoping the base transfers over.

Much better than splitting the market between two games.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Game is starting to feel a bit dated from streaming communities. I see a lot more "NEW GAME" in chat every time I hop into a popular streamer playing the game. I fear this is just a flash in the pan and they'll be updating a dead game.

Given the meteoric rise in the past few weeks, I think the devs are aware that they do have a flash in the pan and now trying to maintain a manageable player base to keep them afloat, since they can't rely on the same thing over and over again. I don't think Innersloth is so big that they need Among Us to be this huge.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Smart move. Who knows when a sequel would be finished and if it would have the same popularity. Instead they could extend the popularity in the ones people have already invested in.

Sep 14, 2019
I was thinking about what improvements they could make in a sequel.

Personally, just add a few more (bigger) maps, some more costumes, more different tasks to do, maybe one or two new Imposter abilities, and improve the online stuff.

Okay, that's actually quite a lot, but I feel people would expect a lot more in a sequel.

This way they can just keep the art style, which is lovely.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This is the right move. Among Us has become massive. Its better to update your existing game , than make a new one and expect everyone to buy it.
That's crazy. Any programmer would tell you that it would be much more reasonable to make something new instead of trying to rework old code like that. Props for the team though, hope they don't burn out.

They can make a new game and just replace the old client thru Steam/Appstore..etc. They don't need to be tied to the old code.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about this game but I'm a high school teacher and my students keep telling me they want the whole class to play this together.

Middle and high school teacher here, it would be a riot. But also may end certain friendships and relationships forever. I'd totally do it if I were a science/humanities/English teacher doing any sort of unit that had to do with human society or psychology.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
This is probably the more difficult choice because it means going deep into the core code of the game and reworking several parts of it.
They're right to not split their playerbase, but if it's more difficult to work on the old codebase, why not continue working on the new one and just publish it as a massive update to the original game? Other developers have definitely done this before.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I know someone made a hit game but made the sequel not long after and fucked both games over to the point, they delisted the sequel. Think it was a royale?

I think these devs don't want to make that mistake. Regardless how old the code is.