• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

The marketing for Amnesia's sequel, Rebirth, has been rather sparse to probably keep a lot of the game a secret. The game releases on October 20th for PC & PS4, there's been two trailers, but this is the first pure gameplay of the game that's been released.

Just around 5 minutes of gameplay to give an idea of how the game plays like.

Last edited:

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
One thing I have noticed after playing (and dropping) a bunch of walking simulators over the past couple of years is that I am kind of done with these kinds of games. I think the novelty when the Amnesia game released worn off for me.

Also lmao at that 12 fps gameplay video.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah that framerate is almost nauseating, hopefully that's sorted out.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I can't play this kind of games, for some reason horror games that I can't fight back makes me VERY anxious.

Also, that framerate... is not good.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a sequel to the first Amnesia or the second one (the one about pigs)?

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I have noticed after playing (and dropping) a bunch of walking simulators over the past couple of years is that I am kind of done with these kinds of games. I think the novelty when the Amnesia game released worn off for me.

Yeah that framerate is almost nauseating, hopefully that's sorted out.
Same, that's why i have zero interest on The Medium and all those games who consist on walking and running.

I noticed the frame rate too, but the game is out in two and a half weeks so to see.

For the walking simulator comment -- I don't agree. I had that impression before I played the games, but Frictional's games actually have quite a bit of gameplay to them in terms of puzzle design, physics control, & encounter design.

In the gameplay video we see the set-up to a puzzle, there are traps in the environment, and how the game uses physics and environmental usage. In fact the gameplay present shows a number of small gameplay scenarios taking advantage of the setting. It has an adventure game focus more than an action game, but I think when in the span of five minutes they very clearly showing gameplay interaction and a few early gameplay scenarios (prepping the tanks systems, handling traps, the grenade trap moment), that sounds like generalizing more to me than anything.

Is this a sequel to the first Amnesia or the second one (the one about pigs)?
First, as Machine for Pigs was created by Chinese Room, Rebirth is created by Frictional Games (who made The Dark Descent, SOMA & the the Penumbra games).

Oct 27, 2017
A big ole wait and see for me on this. If that's what they're leading with, they haven't really told me this intends to try and advance things beyond what they've already done.

SOMA succeeded on it's setting, atmosphere and storytelling. The "hide and seek" stuff is entirely played out so one would hope they've been working on something to inject something new and fresh. But what's in this video doesn't instill much confidence.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a mod becomes available so the monsters don't see you like in Soma I'll play it for sure. I'm tired of "run away from monster" games at this point.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
In the gameplay video we see the set-up to a puzzle, there are traps in the environment, and how the game uses physics and environmental usage. In fact the gameplay present shows a number of small gameplay scenarios taking advantage of the setting. It has an adventure game focus more than an action game, but I think when in the span of five minutes they very clearly showing gameplay interaction and a few early gameplay scenarios (prepping the tanks systems, handling traps, the grenade trap moment), that sounds like generalizing more to me than anything.

Yeah but it doesn't have any attraction to me, after a lot of these games, i just want to switch back to the classic survival horror games like RE8 and Silent Hill (any new info wink wink?)

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Pretty hyped about it honestly. The horror and dread feeling is beautifully created by frictional games and considering how single handidly they and alongside dead space started the return of horror games in gaming in recent times with games being inspired by it including P.T. and any other first person horror games. They absolutely deserve the benefit of the doubt. SOMA was a masterpiece for me.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Looks rough performance-wise, at least it has that Amnesia vibe that the previous trailer was missing.
Nothing wrong with the character's voice but I'll probably turn off the voice volume and enable subtitles, all those commentaries are distracting and ruin the mood imo.

Oct 27, 2017
The sandbags blocking the door, crossbow trap, tank shell puzzle, gore, matches and lanterns... all of that looks really good to me and some clear growth in the amount of interaction there might be. Each Frictional game has been better than the last, so I'm very much looking forward to how they'll build on SOMA.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this gets a PS5 support. Btw, didn't Sony mandate that games releasing close to PS5 launch need to have PS5 support like during pre PS4 Pro launch?

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
-terrible framerates. Hopefully will be fixed by release.
-character talks waay too much.

Still very excited

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Love Frictional to death but is it just me or does the promotion for this game feel like a step backwards from SOMA?

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm.. maybe i'm dead wrong but the graphics seem only marginally better than the first game which came out.. 10-15 years ago?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
The positives: it's another Amnesia game by Frictional.

The negatives: erratic frame rate (noted it's not the final release) and smartarse comments killing the vibe from a voice actor who can hopefully be muted. Not disparaging the voice actor but the comments aren't required and, as mentioned, kill the aymospheric vibe.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Amnesia is not a walking simulator, it is survival horror

also, there's no way I'm playing this slideshow until I own a PS5 but I'm looking forward to it

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Just finished SOMA earlier this week, which was great.

This doesn't look great. I played a good bit of Amnesia, think I beat it twice, but I don't know if I really want to go for another ride with this when there's much better experiences out there.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The positives: it's another Amnesia game by Frictional.

The negatives: erratic frame rate (noted it's not the final release) and smartarse comments killing the vibe from a voice actor who can hopefully be muted. Not disparaging the voice actor but the comments aren't required and, as mentioned, kill the aymospheric vibe.

I completely disagree.. the voice acting and characters added to SOMA is so so important and greatly enhances the experience of that game. I think it will be similar here. The first Amnesia game is pretty awful in the story department and its mainly due to the voice acting being limited to the loading screens for some reason.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I completely disagree.. the voice acting and characters added to SOMA is so so important and greatly enhances the experience of that game. I think it will be similar here. The first Amnesia game is pretty awful in the story department and its mainly due to the voice acting being limited to the loading screens for some reason.

If there's an option to turn it off then we'll both be happy. From browsing a few forums there's a lot of dislike for the use of the voice acting.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the frame rate too, but the game is out in two and a half weeks so to see.

For the walking simulator comment -- I don't agree. I had that impression before I played the games, but Frictional's games actually have quite a bit of gameplay to them in terms of puzzle design, physics control, & encounter design.

Come on Dusk, don't you know if that you don't have combat, then gameplay is just walking around.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, looks like Amnesia all right. I'm never playing this, I can't deal with these games.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Amnesia wasn't a walking sim, and I preferred Justine as it actually had a punishment for 'dying', but overall I would up for another.

Hopefully the final boss isn't knocking over some lanterns or whatever this time.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

You are factually wrong. I'm so tired of this misconception. Explain to me how this and the Dark Descent (or even SOMA) are Walking Simulators?!

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like a great evolution of the Frictional style gameplay. Excited to see what it will bring, even tho its a little worrying how...bright everything is? The darkness was a huge factor in the scares of the OG game and SOMA

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
It's really surprising how little we've seen of this with it coming so soon.

I wonder if the choice of name it's used will hinder sales too =/

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being so hyped for A Machine For Pigs after its reveal trailer, only to be extra disappointed, and even feeling deceived, when I finally played the game.

Here's hoping that this one has actual gameplay instead of being a walking simulator with three or so rooms that has enemies.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I remember being so hyped for A Machine For Pigs after its reveal trailer, only to be extra disappointed, and even feeling deceived, when I finally played the game.

Here's hoping that this one has actual gameplay instead of being a walking simulator with three or so rooms that has enemies.

A Machine For Pigs wasn't developed by Frictional Games though, you can 'blame' The Chinese Room for that. On the other hand Amnesia: Rebirth has been developed solely by Frictional Games.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Going back to Amnesia feels a bit like a step back after the amazing setting from Soma. I have faith in the developer though

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Frictional Games have admitted that they messed up with the gameplay trailer, it should have been 60fps according to this tweet:

' We just noticed the trailer was in 30 fps. This a mistake on our end when rendering the final video. Sorry about that! All base footage is recorded at 60 fps. '

How in the world do you miss this? Did nobody watch the trailer after Premiere spit it out. They just set it to automatically upload

A Machine for Pigs was by a different developer, The Chinese Room.

Isn't there a part in Pigs where someone is getting copulated with by a uh Pig? I can't remember if that actually happened or I made it up

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Soma is genuinely one of the best games I've ever played, so I'm in for this (as the other Amnesia games were fantastic too).

But god damn that framerate is bad, why even release that lol