• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Anyone running on ultra wide? I'm just getting a black screen.

Edit: nevermind, working now!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So I played up to the point where you are in a huge fogged cave running around aimlessly. Am I supposed to have some kind of light source that I missed at this point? This is really not fun.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like I missed a lantern or something? The character mentions how it'd be good if she had one, and now here I am like 1 hour in and I'm constantly running out of matches in the dark. I get the need for tension due to lack of resources, but matches need to last a little longer or something.

Edit: Of course literally after I post this I find the lantern, it's definitely not missable. But it was kinda irritating running out of matches so often regardless.

Last edited:

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
yea I'm a few hours in (in the house) and so far there's been one cool scene and then a lot of bumbling around and following the light sources which honestly feels like it hasn't progressed at all since their last game

also the environments compared after how awesome Soma's were are disappointing, but maybe it gets crazy later

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Will I be lost story-wise if I haven't played Dark Descent?

Also does this explore its horror themes similar to how SOMA tackled its sci-fi themes, or is it more lore-driven?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Put a quick hour into it just now, have to pause for a bit to go food shopping and then will dive back in tonight once my girlfriend goes to sleep.

Huge, huge fan of the original and SOMA, and I was really looking forward to this. The first hour seems great so far - really polished, looks super nice on PC. Lots of little lore bits to find throughout the game - articles and pictures and news clippings, that sort of thing. I'm okay with "more of the same" - not expecting it to reinvent the wheel or anything. I also get the frustration with matches - definitely wished they lasted a bit longer. The first section in the winding caves with the matches is definitely not the strongest first impression. Still found myself thoroughly unsettled playing the dark and with headphones - every little noise and movement made me jump a little.

Excited to do a much deeper dive later tonight!

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
So I played up to the point where you are in a huge fogged cave running around aimlessly. Am I supposed to have some kind of light source that I missed at this point? This is really not fun.
Use the amulet as a compass. The spot early on with a dead british person and some notes and symbols is mostly just a curiosity (I thought the big 'x' needed interaction but no). There is another path outside basically.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, I was ready to call this game disappointing, but then I got to where I presume "the real game starts" and had my first encounter.

Nah man, I'm terrified over here, send help.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
About 5 hours in and very happy so far. Many satisfying lore and story connections to the first game. Several big scares. No idea how far in I am but hoping there's plenty more... 17 hidden achievements left to go, so presumably I'm less than halfway. Not that Machine For Pigs was a particularly high bar, but this is easily better than that.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished my playthrough in 10 hours. In some ways the story felt a bit cliche, and as usual some monsters are more frustrating than scary. They also introduced a new enemy - getting stuck in geometry, which I only got "saved" from by being killed by actual enemies. Still a good game, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get a bit of a hand with something?

While I can't remember the exact plotline to the original, Daniel and the actual trip through the castle etc etc, what was the timelines of events immediately prior?

He's at the dig-site, etc. Then he's back at the castle before he loses his memory. The castle is full of people who live/work there or in the surrounding villages. Then of course there's actual storyline where you pick up.

In the space of 'game time' where does this sequel fit in?

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting to see the reactions come in -- I always thought that stumbling around in a dark environment without a good sense of direction and with spooky ambience was, uh, a pretty core tenent to Frictionals games. SOMA had a lot of this, especially in the middle. But i guess the limited use of the matches exasperates the frustration?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Started it and played about an hour-ish. Enjoying it a lot, but feels closer to SOMA (which I adored) and walking sim vs a scary horror game that Amnesia was or survival horror scary that Pnumbra series was. It's got some creepy atmosphere, but nothing scary so far. Instead great VA work, nice visuals and interesting story initially. Not sure if it's just going to take a bit to get to the scary parts or if the game just isn't going for scares. SOMA wasn't particularly scary either and was just a damn good story in an unsettling environment. Amnesia/Pnumbra were pretty good on the scares though.

Since people are a lot further already, does the game ever get scary? I'm ok if it doesn't.

Also I had no idea there were story connections to the first game until I read the comments on this page. Just went and read the wiki summary of the original to refresh and I see the connection. Interesting.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is intense, I'm enjoying it a lot. I hope it doesn't disappoint me in the end like SOMA. I understand what that game was trying and I respect it, I just didn't find it enjoyable.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Started it and played about an hour-ish. Enjoying it a lot, but feels closer to SOMA (which I adored) and walking sim vs a scary horror game that Amnesia was or survival horror scary that Pnumbra series was. It's got some creepy atmosphere, but nothing scary so far. Instead great VA work, nice visuals and interesting story initially. Not sure if it's just going to take a bit to get to the scary parts or if the game just isn't going for scares. SOMA wasn't particularly scary either and was just a damn good story in an unsettling environment. Amnesia/Pnumbra were pretty good on the scares though.

Since people are a lot further already, does the game ever get scary? I'm ok if it doesn't.

Also I had no idea there were story connections to the first game until I read the comments on this page. Just went and read the wiki summary of the original to refresh and I see the connection. Interesting.

The later stages of the game can get quite scary, yes.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's really unique about the horror genre that people don't expect a certain gameplay style, mechanic, aesthetic, or system but an emotion. Fears and scares. No wonder it's tough to make an effective horror game, because achieving an emotion in many people doesn't have guidelines compared to any other genre.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Played about an hour and a half and honestly...its a little boring?? The caves really didnt do much for me, and the next area was just visually kind of dull.

Hard to go from SOMA to this, where every single environment in SOMA was overflowing with an abundance of detail that helped ground the setting.

Wish there was something more spooky in the opening hours. Didnt really grab me

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished my playthrough in 10 hours. In some ways the story felt a bit cliche, and as usual some monsters are more frustrating than scary. They also introduced a new enemy - getting stuck in geometry, which I only got "saved" from by being killed by actual enemies. Still a good game, though.

Are there spiders or spider-like enemies in the game?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

Kind of having the opposite experience to you, lol. I thought the first hour they cranked the Amnesia factor way too high and it was just overwhelming with all the dark cave stuff but after that it opens up and feels more like SOMA which is my preference. I will say that there are more threats now so if that's what you are looking for it should be delivering soon.

ThatDudeGuy

Oct 31, 2017
I'm maybe three hours in, and this game is right up my alley.

I nope'd out of the first Amnesia game out of fear and frustration during one of the water sections and never went back to try it again. I loved Machine for Pigs and SOMA, though. One notch more active than walking simulator is a fantastic horror game sweet spot for me.

Rebirth seems like it can be played as that type of game. Without spoiling anything, I get a strong sense from developer interviews and the first few hours that the survival mechanics adapt to your playstyle, and the level design will not allow you to get too stuck.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Played about an hour and a half and honestly...its a little boring?? The caves really didnt do much for me, and the next area was just visually kind of dull.

Hard to go from SOMA to this, where every single environment in SOMA was overflowing with an abundance of detail that helped ground the setting.

Wish there was something more spooky in the opening hours. Didnt really grab me

Yeah same hoping it picks up.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah same hoping it picks up.

Ok, got to the fort they showed off in previews and...definitely picks up. Environment is very creepy. Still a slow burn, tho. But im very tense.

One thing that is disappointing me: the soundscape quality and audio design doesnt seem as good as their other games? Wish the flashbacks had the same deep quality they did in the Dark Descent

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I loved SOMA. It was a scary experience for me. I don't play a lot of horror stuff, but I really lean into it when I do. The sci-fi setting and story kept me going.

Really like the look of this, but afraid it'll be too much for me.
Also you just know they're going to go places with that title, and the fact that Tasi is carrying her unborn child...

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it has something to do with SOMA being one of the best games of the generation, but man Rebirth doesn't start off a strong foot. I'm a bit further in now, but it has definitely started way slower than I would have liked. I appreciate they're focusing on the story, but man that beginning is so...weird.

Oct 25, 2017
I've put 4 hours in so far.

This one is a slow(er) burn than something like SOMA, but once this one heats up, it *really* manages to deliver on a lot of fronts. Without going into any spoilers, this a much more 'mature' game in terms of scares -- it shows off Frictional's insane chops when it comes to pacing and turning horror into moments of interactive and reactive engagements without forcing the player into narrow sets of responses. There's a new urgency to using light here in an almost 'push forward' sense -- you're moving a bit faster than you'd think in a game of this nature, and the match mechanic really gets the player out of their comfort zone in a fun way.

The most impressive thing to me, though, so far, is that this is a game that makes good on the promise of a legitimately scary game in a brightly-lit space. While there are dark locations, the game is extremely liberal and brave with its use of light -- you're often bathed in it, but still unnerved, and the scares are no less effective for happening in the way they do.

I still feel like I have a lot left to see, so I can't confidently say how I feel, but so far this already at a SOMA quality for me. The technical side of the game is a bit of a disappointment -- the engine is just crusty, and it shows -- but there's such a refinement in Frictional's core gameplay ideas, designs, pacing and, now, story, that it still feels like a complete package.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I have this concern that there are players that aren't aware of the mechanic that allows you to regain your sanity when you start freaking out. The game pretty much tells you but some may miss it. Which would be tragic because it's a brilliant way of gameplay enhancing the narrative and themes.

Seriously if you're not engaging with this mechanic you're not really fully engaging with the story..

its also one reason why I think matches are a little scarce. It really pushes you to engage with the mechanic out of necessity.

Oct 30, 2017
I have this concern that there are players that aren't aware of the mechanic that allows you to regain your sanity when you start freaking out. The game pretty much tells you but some may miss it. Which would be tragic because it's a brilliant way of gameplay enhancing the narrative and themes.

Seriously if you're not engaging with this mechanic you're not really fully engaging with the story..

its also one reason why I think matches are a little scarce. It really pushes you to engage with the mechanic out of necessity.
Is the mechanic lighting matches?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm several hours in and a bit underwhelmed honestly, I love Frictional's work but I think the pacing in this just isn't great between the tense moments, puzzling, and exploration. It leans heavily on the latter, this feels like the most walking sim Frictional game yet. When the scares and puzzles are present its pretty good, and I'm interested in the plot too, but there's a lot of time where I just feel like I'm pushing forward constantly through rather dull environments. WAY too much underground/cave stuff for my liking, and while that's a personal preference it isn't helped by the pretty low poly and low res texture work. This shit looks dated, and I say that as someone that loves me some lofi horror, but it isn't working here. There's an inconsistency with the visuals which is the issue, once you get to the
Giger inspired dimension
it looks amazing but you're then you're back to the bland gray and tan cobblestone/cave and rock aesthetic all too soon. It's jarring.

I also think the balance they've tried to strike between the puzzles and atmospheric elements especially in the more alien areas conflicts somewhat. I'd like to see more exploration of the surreal spaces, time spent there is all too brief compared to the duller desert and base reality environments.

I'll definitely push through to the end for the story but at this point it feels like going through the motions waiting for the narrative payoff at the end :/

Dark Descent and SOMA had me engaged throughout, bums me out this isn't landing for me in nearly the same way.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
No idea how far I am in the game but this is way better than The Dark Descent. Really need to see how the story pans out whether I'll like this more than SOMA. Especially the pregnancy aspect of the story. Pregnancy and horror is universally terrible, though I actually like the coping mechanic. It seems like there is plenty of dialogue you can miss if you don't regularly check on the baby.
Any connection with the past game.
Yes.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Is the mechanic lighting matches?

No the
paying attention to your baby. Any time you start freaking out pay attention to your baby and you calm down. Also it creates a lot of inner dialog

It's such a brilliant mechanic, as it really enforces that part of the narrative in a really emotional way: Also it allowed me to hold off on using matches unless I really needed to cause I knew I could always calm myself down.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Fuck the hunting ground sequence.

Also wow at the bury your gays.
You find Alex right after he is brutally killed by gūl Leon, then the next time Tasi checks on the fetus she talks about knowing that Alex and Richard were in love. (Which she's cool with.) After the proper encounter with gūl Leon, you eventually find Richard being tortured by a gūl. While he's chained up he tries to repent to God (about being gay) and tries denying that he loves Alex when the gūl is pummeling him. After you free him he attempts to kill Tasi to save his own skin, which sends her into berserk mode unconsciously killing him.
They're not even proper characters but goddamn.

Last edited:

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I'm several hours in and a bit underwhelmed honestly, I love Frictional's work but I think the pacing in this just isn't great between the tense moments, puzzling, and exploration. It leans heavily on the latter, this feels like the most walking sim Frictional game yet. When the scares and puzzles are present its pretty good, and I'm interested in the plot too, but there's a lot of time where I just feel like I'm pushing forward constantly through rather dull environments. WAY too much underground/cave stuff for my liking, and while that's a personal preference it isn't helped by the pretty low poly and low res texture work. This shit looks dated, and I say that as someone that loves me some lofi horror, but it isn't working here. There's an inconsistency with the visuals which is the issue, once you get to the
Giger inspired dimension
it looks amazing but you're then you're back to the bland gray and tan cobblestone/cave and rock aesthetic all too soon. It's jarring.

I also think the balance they've tried to strike between the puzzles and atmospheric elements especially in the more alien areas conflicts somewhat. I'd like to see more exploration of the surreal spaces, time spent there is all too brief compared to the duller desert and base reality environments.

I'll definitely push through to the end for the story but at this point it feels like going through the motions waiting for the narrative payoff at the end :/

Dark Descent and SOMA had me engaged throughout, bums me out this isn't landing for me in nearly the same way.

Yeah, exact same feelings. Things have definitely picked up once I got to the
fort
, but the pacing has felt waaaaaay off. The intro just drowns you in flashbacks, and doesn't really present anything scary or even tense other than "here is some confusing darkness, time to walk through it." Strange compared to how the first Amnesia really starts out with a bang, scares wise, and this one doesn't even try.

I do like the more creeping terror once you get out of the caves, though. I feel like that was the main horror lesson they took from SOMA, that you don't need to scare right off the bat. But that game and the original Amnesia were definitely more gripping from the beginning.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Just put a couple hours in and I'm really liking it. The game does a REALLY good job of keeping me scared/unnerved even without the presence of a threat, it's great.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not very into playing horror games, but i like watching play-throughs of them. I like the setting and i like the puzzles this far, but i keep thinking to myself how scary this would be in VR to those who dare play it. The physics engine seems almost made with VR in mind.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Not much of a horror person but have been dipping my toes in more and am thinking about trying this with a friend. Will the experience suffer much for not having played The Dark Descent? (And does that one still hold up well? I do have it in my library...)

Oct 25, 2017
Loved SOMA and thought it would be an impossible task to top that game but I'm really digging this so far. I've just arrived at
a fortress
. Can't wait to explore that shit. I feel the matches has kind of forced me out of my comfort zone, so the game ultimately feels faster paced thanks to that.... I like that.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Not much of a horror person but have been dipping my toes in more and am thinking about trying this with a friend. Will the experience suffer much for not having played The Dark Descent? (And does that one still hold up well? I do have it in my library...)

Granted I'm only a few hours in but the ties to the first have been pretty minimal so far, and the game is standing on its own legs.

Could change further in