• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
ACtC-3eIFLaWUeJNLqjyRddluGj2wmfoB2PxftXEr4EFbcvt0kob-7vPKbDosL_IN-shnDnNrZCSv_ppm-ZvNhbeKA3b31MpDLw_r0cY0ljTZSdVbTILXrgI0S9sxSM74hKBjUxkjk9CLdqL0n6_3l_anPx1Aw=w787-h461-no

Developer: Frictional Games
Publisher: Frictional Games
Platform: PS4, PC
Release Date: October 20, 2020
Genre: Horror

From the creators of SOMA and the original Amnesia: The Dark Descent, comes the first direct sequel within the Amnesia franchise. The original game released in 2010 and it became a sensation, pushing the whole horror genre forward. Frictional Games takes a long good care in developing their games and it wasn't until 2015 before they released their next game SOMA, a game which ranks high on many games lists for the generation.

The wait has been long once again but finally it's time. With Amnesia: Rebirth the creators are aiming to combine the existential dread experienced in SOMA with the more mechanical horror gameplay seen in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Key story threads from the original game, set in Prussia in 1839, is being continued in Rebirth set in the Algerian desert in the 1930's.

Synopsis:

You can't let out a breath. The creature is only inches away. Its sole purpose - to feed off your terror. And so you crouch in the dark, trying to stop the fear rising, trying to silence what lies within you.

"I know you. I know what you're capable of."

In Amnesia: Rebirth, you are Tasi Trianon, waking up deep in the desert of Algeria. Days have passed. Where have you been? What did you do? Where are the others? Retrace your journey, pull together the fragments of your shattered past; it is your only chance to survive the pitiless horror that threatens to devour you.

"Do not allow yourself anger, do not allow yourself to fear."

Time is against you. Step into Tasi's shoes and guide her through her personal terror and pain. While you struggle to make your way through a desolate landscape, you must also struggle with your own hopes, fears, and bitter regrets. And still you must continue, step by step, knowing that if you fail you will lose everything.

• First-person narrative horror experience
  • Explore environments and uncover their histories.
  • Overcome puzzles that stand in your way.
  • Carefully manage your limited resources, both physical and mental.
  • Encounter horrific creatures and use your wits and understanding of the world to escape them.
Random Facts:
  • Before Amnesia and SOMA, Frictional Games developed the Penumbra horror series.
  • Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs was an Amnesia spin-off developed by The Chinese Room (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture).
  • Frictional Games is a two-game studio now. Their other game is likely not that long out from reveal, maybe 2021. A team of about twenty worked on Rebirth.
Some choice developer quotes:

" Tasi's worsening condition is something that unfolds over time. In order to make sure it hits home we weave in some core narrative motivation into it. I am afraid I cannot go into what this part of the story is, as it is something we want to keep secret until release. But it is something we hope to be just as impactful as [spoilered] was in SOMA, if not more so.
The whole [revised] fear system has now gone from being a gimmicky addition to being an integral part of the whole story. It really helped us to simulate a looming sense of dread and to capture that feel of character's descent down a spiral of despair.
Finally, I want to note how all of this adds up into a coherent whole. As pleased as we were with SOMA, we never felt that the gameplay closely supported our overall narrative. This was something we wanted to do better. In Amnesia: Rebirth the narrative is supported on everything from the moment-to-moment system to the higher level narrative.
It is hard to describe the feeling of all of this coming together. The best way to find out is to give the game a go when it hits PS4 on October 20, and take a chance to live through a horror novel from within."

Some interesting gameplay insights posted on PS.Blog.

"Another reason for having this variety of environments is to provide an incentive for the player to keep playing. In a horror game the core experience that you are trying to evoke is terror, which is not very pleasant. This is in stark contrast to most other games where the core gameplay loop is usually enjoyable in its own right. In a horror game, you are always running the risk of the player quitting, because of the game being too successful at doing what you set out to do! If the player knows that there will be something new and exciting ahead if they manage to overcome their current ordeals, then they are much less likely to drop out. The promise of new environments works well for this, as do other things such as captivating narratives or unsolved mysteries."
Creating the world of Amnesia PS.Blog entry.

"I'm hoping people will see it as, like, a holistic experience, that they've gone through this, not just played a game but actually been on this long journey and become emotionally affected by the end of it. Hopefully, laying awake for at least a few nights before being able to sleep again."
Eurogamer: Amnesia: Rebirth is more than a decade of horror gaming refined.

"Players are now very used to the simpler tricks, and generally all low hanging fruit that you can use to make a game scary," says Grip. "We tried to avoid all of that during this period of development and to twist player expectations when possible.
I think possibly the other big influence on this game has been our own experiences of working on SOMA," says writers Ian Thomas. "It showed the studio that we could make games with a longer-form story, that builds up its horror over time rather than concentrating just on moment-to-moment gameplay. It freed us up a lot when considering how to put this game together."

PC Gamer: Frictional Games wants to go beyond jump scares.

ACtC-3eq7BZNThzayj6xcI9ChIW3k-TjKmywBEBVaVDXNwl9pRgk7ZCVxUzlyXFsWNDuZzr9MhInNyjB6eHX06Um-3CiI8r9YrytK-DVW-8YDX2GNT2wlGbpiquo8uW33xQjklGsZS9nsYQYKgzlOBA1-P-VGg=w460-h215-no

Release date reveal trailer:

Story & Environments trailer:

17 minutes of gameplay:

ACtC-3dAZ4v_8T242QHWHqL2HItgTBqiLVIJVMLN4b6lmU08zU0VRS10VVuYJeD09lw8i8zaff6Z5HG_BEHylY6kltzYw7iykAwon1W3yAHiPeaYHDY1B5AJ3hr_qcGCYTHoK2daNHpCzi2SENlx_2LH5dIjxQ=w1420-h799-no

ACtC-3cS4g9h1_UTQlSIKEcUqyNT4KWofD55fxLu94SJynOiZX-w3GgrqTix4t3r_lASf-MxN1Qu_OZtG2jJT3ohHOkJgEb1fvaz5Rg4sm0sQN21JYjYvmt9yApSpUslIjqKKyPh_nTtuCJmzlFhZcwoUGHqxw=w1420-h799-no

EkigijBXIAIdRXd

Ej5U_9DXgAAVuLt

ACtC-3dMgHVzgq1tSOk-fNPQBh88kc7qWY-3LNGz88hOdlwTMvFA9JAj_w3VfaLWnA4KCE193zxcaVocDOADfba8oM5UvLGN2rmpplQE66CkbGrjbgqmAqAzHM5ND1uUsZOy_ii4_Jk-AAA8D4eXUpqITmLhAw=w1420-h799-no

ACtC-3drISxQ1esOrX29st1piDHEYtE1_sxUK5bhWhefqE90-gswh5OobXnj9Y41-jSzEiLmWih9G8YTZt0-vMA5MMOOs0TWPHntE26e82sjJXN5asuginwAqcFrptvPb_KFuRq2iTkGWZezVJHHzoRHdisHwQ=w512-h501-no

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Any word on reviews? As much as the interviews have made sure to let us know that this will be more like Soma (which I fucking loved), I'm still a bit sceptical about Frictional's decision to return to Amnesia.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
I'm so on board for this game. I fucking loved SOMA!

I'm waiting for day one impressions, not necessarily because I'm not sold on the game; but just to ensure there are no day one quirks that waiting a week or so might improve.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Any word on reviews? As much as the interviews have made sure to let us know that this will be more like Soma (which I fucking loved), I'm still a bit sceptical about Frictional's decision to return to Amnesia.
I understand the scepticism and am also looking forward to reviews, but let me just say, while I did have my fun with a Machine for Pigs, I'm just glad it's not a direct sequel to that. I still don't understand why that was allowed to happen.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I love horror games and will most likely end up playing this, only question is when. The first Amnesia was such a distinct thing back when horror games weren't as big among indie devs, especially the 3d first person stuff. Nowadays Steam is filled with those games, and some really creative and unique ones. Curious to see how much this game will push the genre forward.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I love horror games and will most likely end up playing this, only question is when. The first Amnesia was such a distinct thing back when horror games weren't as big among indie devs, especially the 3d first person stuff. Nowadays Steam is filled with those games, and some really creative and unique ones. Curious to see how much this game will push the genre forward.

I do get this concern, and hope it pushes the genre forwards too, but truthfully if they deliver another story on par with SOMA it'll be one of the best games of the year for me just on that alone. I hope to be impressed!

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Something I noticed: For me the game unlocks on PSN tomorrow 13:00 European time.
I'm not sure if it's a mistake on their end but that's half-a-day earlier than expected.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for this. Just finished it. Some key take-aways:
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent turned into a social media phenomenon and spawned heaps of indie and AA horror games that took lessons from Amnesia though often the wrong lessons (a lot of jump scares etc).
  • With so many new players in the field it has been a challenge to further evolve the genre with Rebirth which is why it has taken time.
  • Uses the same engine as SOMA which they know like the back of their hand.
  • They used (at least before COVID) a lot of play-testing sessions where they recorded players and their feedback to playing the game. People have become comfortable speaking out loud their thoughts these days due to streaming/social-media culture. They are careful though in learning the right aspects, not to implement what the player thinks should be an improvement (i.e. guns etc.).
  • Physicality of the world has always been very important to Frictional games. Everything can be picked up and examined and thrown away even if they aren't key to gameplay/progression. They always tried to implement an analog way of dealing with things.
  • Players getting to see the creatures as game objects would be a big failure. It's important to keep encounters sparse and try to constantly re-invent them and to keep the full set of capabilities shrouded and mysterious.
  • With streaming and "Let's play" being much more of a thing now it is important for them to create a game where observers would like to try the game, where they don't get "their fill" from just watching it.
  • The original Amnesia was inspired by the old ways of doing science experimenting with how thoughts originate in the brain. SOMA was inspired by philosophy and the self. Rebirth is inspired by the mental aspect behind extreme survival with the book Skeletons on the Zahara mentioned.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this just because Soma was so goddamned good. Here's hoping that Ars video is accurate and the developers are moving beyond the mechanics in their earlier games.

I actually like all of Frictional's releases. Just hoping for more of a jump after all this time. While I absolutely love Soma's themes and aesthetics, it still felt a lot like Amnesia and Penumbra.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Lets gooooooo

Watched that whole Ars Technica video. Interested to see how they will update the horror game play and fix the mistakes they made in SOMA

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Already have this pre-ordered but it's going to irk me that I've never finished TDD while playing Rebirth. Maybe I should muster up the courage and do that before I play this.

I don't care about horror games but I could listen to Thomas Grip talk about them all day.

I used to regularly check in on the Frictional blog to see if he'd posted a new review or essay on horror. He really has a dedication and love for the genre that is endlessly fascinating to read and listen to.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Is it recommended to play the original Amnesia first? I'm interested but I don't know anything about the first game

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Is it recommended to play the original Amnesia first? I'm interested but I don't know anything about the first game
I played it for the first time this March on the PS4 and I had a great time. Here's my thoughts.
I had no plans to play Amnesia but I loved SOMA. This announcement reminded me that I acquired the Amnesia Collection from PS+ a while back.
Completed Dark Descent last night and I really enjoyed it, trying to irk out time in my day to play it.

+ Good atmosphere. I played this mostly at night and past midnight in my living room with the lights off. Half of the time my wife would be making sounds and the door open to the next room so I could have isolated myself better (and made the game more frightening & effective) but I still very much enjoyed it all. Game was like many horror games more frightening in the first half when there's more anticipation for the scary stuff and before you totally figure out all the mechanics. Ambient had a few proper tunes ala Resident Evil but also ambient, loops. scraping etc. similar to Silent Hill. I had a nice rush of panic when I got chased the first time.
+ Mostly devoid of cheap jump scares.
+ Puzzles were well balanced, not too obscure and several were physics based. I had to Google a couple of times and another time I felt like I really got lucky as the object was pretty vague. But I thought the great majority of puzzles were practical and flowed well.
+ The simplistic piece meal story presented mostly through notes is enjoyable enough since it doesn't drown you in lore and 'homework' (hello Death Stranding). Every time I discover a new paper I look forward to read the contents.
+ The looting mechanics with analog way of opening doors & cupboards that I enjoyed in SOMA (and originated in Penumbra from what I hear) and general world interactivity/'solidity' feels nice. I also enjoyed kindling the various lanterns (but sparingly) as it worked as breadcrumbs for my progress in largely hub-like and labyrinthine environments.
- Graphics are not very hot by 2010 standards even. Big clunky polygonal environments and lack of general details can make the game feel very low-budget (which was the case). The art shines through most of the time thankfully.
- The voice acting and some of the dialog is middling.
- Game fades a bit out in the last third. It could be an environmental aspect in how I played the game or how well I knew all the mechanics by then but that's how the feeling evolved. It might be how the game tries to make certain aspects more grand as you go but then the low-budget falls short of the aim.

Overall I can see how SOMA was a big jump forward in production quality but I still found Amnesia to be worth my time today in 2020. These games were released five years a part and the same will hold true between SOMA and Amnesia: Rebirth (the first actual sequel to Dark Descent) so I'm really looking forward to see how this new one turns out.
If you only have time for one game though you should easily be able to read yourself up on the lore.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Darkwood is incredible. In ways, its both a spiritual sucessor to Stalker and Silent Hill

Darkwood's sound f/x and music alone put other horror games to shame, but the story, the setting, the incredibly oppressive atmosphere, the unsettling and sometimes outright terrifying and disturbing moments all go towards making it one of the best horror games available.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I caved and pre-ordered it for that 10% discount. So I guess I'll be here to share my impressions tomorrow.

Darkwood is incredible. In ways, its both a spiritual sucessor to Stalker and Silent Hill
I need to give it another go. At some point I stopped being scared and started getting annoyed because I didn't know what the game wanted me to do to survive the nights.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Completely forgot this was coming out...

...now I'm not really sure if I want it right now considering I don't have any decent headphones/speakers. It feels like playing this with my TV's speakers will be a massive detriment to it.

But this is the perfect Halloween game :(

Anyway, here's hoping this is a worthy sequel after the giga-disappointment that was A Machine For Pigs.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Completely forgot this was coming out...

...now I'm not really sure if I want it right now considering I don't have any decent headphones/speakers. It feels like playing this with my TV's speakers will be a massive detriment to it.

But this is the perfect Halloween game :(

Anyway, here's hoping this is a worthy sequel after the giga-disappointment that was A Machine For Pigs.

Why not buy a cheap pair of headphones? Even the cheapest tend to be acceptable and would go some way to giving you a far better experience than using speakers.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why not buy a cheap pair of headphones? Even the cheapest tend to be acceptable and would go some way to giving you a far better experience than using speakers.

I'm saving up for the PS5 at the moment and that includes the Wireless headphones launching with it, so even spending £20 on some mediocre headphones would be a bit of a waste right now tbh.

system shocko

Jan 17, 2018
Amnesia gave me a sense of physical suffocation without precedents, only the last segment to me was a little less "satisfying". With Soma the suffocation was moral, and instead "thanks" to the last part, the desperate dread lingered in my thoughts for days. Hope this new one is a balance of their philosophies, as they say. The bar is very high, I think.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Amnesia gave me a sense of physical suffocation without precedents, only the last segment to me was a little less "satisfying". With Soma the suffocation was moral, and instead "thanks" to the last part, the desperate dread lingered in my thoughts for days. Hope this new one is a balance of their philosophies, as they say. The bar is very high, I think.

I believe it will be a balance if recent interviews with Frictional are anything to go by. This quote from an IGN interview I saw earlier yesterday has got me a lot more hyped:

www.ign.com

Amnesia: Rebirth Devs Don't Just Want to Terrify You, They Want to Make You Question Yourself - IGN

Frictional Games return to its iconic Amnesia series is aiming to make you feel more than just the terror of being hunted in the desolate wastes.

"Our main goal is not just to scare the living daylight out of people by throwing jump-scares, monsters or gory visuals at them for as long as possible," said Fredrik Olsson, creative lead and executive producer on Amnesia: Rebirth. "Rather, our goal is to stir up some really strong emotions and make the players question themselves and their view of the world outside of this game.

"Fear is one of the more primal and strong emotions that we as humans have and gives us an easier pathway into people's minds (and hearts) through which we can channel other emotions as well. Such as sadness, love, loneliness or panic over a decision you have to make. So you can say that while the horror in itself is really important, it is also a tool for achieving something bigger, something that will hopefully stick with people long after the end credits have rolled."

If they manage to strike this balance well this may be their best yet. Fingers crossed. I need more good psychological horror games, there are far too few.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the Amnesia games, but SOMA was something else. Really enjoyed that.

Looking forward to this one.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Bought it, i guess this game and The Medium will scratch my horror itch for what's left of this year.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely picking this up, but my backlog is too long to go for launch. Hope it's good though, I really loved the original and SOMA.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I remember liking the original until I realized what it was doing behind the scenes.

The game tries to teach you that you're constantly being hunted and that you're always in danger. It's just not true for the vast majority of the game. What actually happens is that the game spawns enemies at preset locations and moments (such as when you walk across a trigger), have them walk a predefined path, and then despawn them as soon as you or the monster reaches another trigger. This happens over and over and over again. It likes to pretend that you messed up and was accidentally spotted by something at a dramatic moment. Not true at all. It just spawned an enemy behind you where it would automatically and instantly spot you.

It's not until the final area that the game actually has roaming enemies that behave as you'd expect.

I realized this pretty early on in the game, and it immediately sucked all the tension out of it (until the final area). I knew that I could stand in a perfectly visible, exposed spot in any level and be perfectly safe since no enemies existed in the level anyway. I would only be in danger once I walked across a trigger, and when I did, the danger would permanently pass as long as I stayed out of sight for a minute or two, despawning the enemy. In some cases, I would have to reach a trigger instead, with the same effect.

Honorable exception: the water monster. Now that was a truly frightening and inspired bit of gameplay.

I'm going to hold off on this sequel until I know that it doesn't fall into the same trap as the original.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I remember liking the original until I realized what it was doing behind the scenes.

The game tries to teach you that you're constantly being hunted and that you're always in danger. It's just not true for the vast majority of the game. What actually happens is that the game spawns enemies at preset locations and moments (such as when you walk across a trigger), have them walk a predefined path, and then despawn them as soon as you or the monster reaches another trigger. This happens over and over and over again. It likes to pretend that you messed up and was accidentally spotted by something at a dramatic moment. Not true at all. It just spawned an enemy behind you where it would automatically and instantly spot you.

It's not until the final area that the game actually has roaming enemies that behave as you'd expect.

I realized this pretty early on in the game, and it immediately sucked all the tension out of it (until the final area). I knew that I could stand in a perfectly visible, exposed spot in any level and be perfectly safe since no enemies existed in the level anyway. I would only be in danger once I walked across a trigger, and when I did, the danger would permanently pass as long as I stayed out of sight for a minute or two, despawning the enemy. In some cases, I would have to reach a trigger instead, with the same effect.

Honorable exception: the water monster. Now that was a truly frightening and inspired bit of gameplay.

I'm going to hold off on this sequel until I know that it doesn't fall into the same trap as the original.
For what it's worth, it's extremely difficult or even undesirable to really design a game with a constant, persistent threat. Resident Evil 2 is one of the few that sort of does it with Mr. X, but even that's relatively limited, controlled and directed (behind the scenes).

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
For what it's worth, it's extremely difficult or even undesirable to really design a game with a constant, persistent threat. Resident Evil 2 is one of the few that sort of does it with Mr. X, but even that's relatively limited, controlled and directed (behind the scenes).

Difficult, sure. But there's nothing about the design of most levels in Amnesia that wouldn't allow them to put roaming monsters there, maybe in addition to the more scripted scares. Combining these approaches has traditionally been very effective, but Amnesia almost never does that.

I genuinely believe most people don't spot the man behind the curtain in this game since this isn't talked about very often, and that's fine. I'm the kind of person who can't help analyzing gameplay mechanics, often to my detriment.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Difficult, sure. But there's nothing about the design of most levels in Amnesia that wouldn't allow them to put roaming monsters there, maybe in addition to the more scripted scares. Combining these approaches has traditionally been very effective, but Amnesia almost never does that.

I genuinely believe most people don't spot the man behind the curtain in this game since this isn't talked about very often, and that's fine. I'm the kind of person who can't help analyzing gameplay mechanics, often to my detriment.
There's a couple of caveats with free-roaming enemies. One is purely practical that they could get stuck in level geometry or other mishaps with their path-finding, especially if the player can move assets (chairs, tables, etc.) in their movement path. Second is that they can lose their appeal if you can actually see them walk around from a distance. The monsters in Amnesia in particular kind of look rather silly from a distance (and in the light). And third is of course: does it actually change the gameplay if an enemy is roaming somewhere in a hallway off-screen, or just not there at all but triggered by invisible triggers? In practice it matters very little. As you say yourself, you analyze gameplay mechanics (so do I), but you'll probably formulate similar criticisms with a free-roaming stalker enemy as well. Even a mix between both will in some shape or form have its limitations that will become visible to the critical player.

Going back to your original post, to address your original complaint, if the worry is that players can tell too easily if they're in a 'safe' zone or not, then I'd personally try to design it so that you have one or two sections where the room or hallway looks safe (because of music or lighting or the geometry doesn't seem fit for a chase and hide-and-seek bit), but then you subvert that and trigger an enemy anyway. Or/additionaly, maybe even an invisible timer that speeds up enemy encounters and aggro the longer a player is hiding or idling in a specific area. This would still need to be balanced, but it could help to keep up the tempo, and blur the lines still between 'safe' and 'danger' zones.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews popping up on Metacritic:

Amnesia: Rebirth

You can't let out a breath. The creature is only inches away. Its sole purpose - to feed off your terror. And so you crouch in the dark, trying to stop the fear rising, trying to silence what lies within you. "I know you. I know what you're capable of." In Amnesia: Rebirth, you are Tasi Trianon...

It seems to be getting a good reception.