• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I'm sorry, but that subtitle font is awful, what were they thinking?

I've never really loved any of their games, though SOMA came the closest. I also remember Penumbra: Black Plague being impressive, though it's been a long time since I've played it. The original Amnesia was strongest at its opening but felt overstretched and had a pretty incomprehensible plot. Wonder how they're evolving this style of game mechanically, Alien: Isolation pointed the way back in 2014 and hasn't really been bettered since. Nice to see how their technology has advanced but their particular visual style is intact. Hope this'll be playable in VR.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I'm disappointed they're back on this IP instead of something new like Soma. I guess they got a bit jumpy by the relatively mild success of Soma and felt like going back to a more sure thing, although I don't really know how much value this IP has these days anyways.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The only truly disappointing thing is so many bitter people complaining there bringing back Amnesia, when fans have been waiting for a true sequel since forever.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I'm disappointed they're back on this IP instead of something new like Soma. I guess they got a bit jumpy by the relatively mild success of Soma and felt like going back to a more sure thing, although I don't really know how much value this IP has these days anyways.
I think another part of it is they are also making an original IP game, they've been working on two games for the last five years, just this one is coming out first.

I think a lot of people saying they wish they'd do an original IP instead aren't realizing there is an original IP coming a year or so after this game releases.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy about this. Amnesia, to this day, is one of the best horror games of all time and it never got the kind of sequel or follow-up that it deserved. The only thing that could make the announcement sweeter is a VR mode.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Was A Machine for Pigs any good? I've blasted through all of Frictional Games' titles but never picked this one up.

I enjoyed it a lot more than the original. They're able to stage more frights and the narrative themes are a lot more interesting. Because it's more of a "walking simulator" than the original, they're able to actually stage frights and also prevent tedium from repeating areas when you die.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent after the first spooky encounter did nothing for me. You either run past the monster and get to the next checkpoint or run past the monster die and then repeat. Repetition in horror games greatly reduces the tension and scariness of the encounters for me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think another part of it is they are also making an original IP game, they've been working on two games for the last five years, just this one is coming out first.

I think a lot of people saying they wish they'd do an original IP instead aren't realizing there is an original IP coming a year or so after this game releases.

Oh cool I had forgotten they were making another game.

Smart is not the word I would use.

There's nothing petty about wanting to throw more support to the developer of the game.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot more than the original. They're able to stage more frights and the narrative themes are a lot more interesting. Because it's more of a "walking simulator" than the original, they're able to actually stage frights and also prevent tedium from repeating areas when you die.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent after the first spooky encounter did nothing for me. You either run past the monster and get to the next checkpoint or run past the monster die and then repeat. Repetition in horror games greatly reduces the tension and scariness of the encounters for me.
What a silly comment. I guess your also forgetting all the puzzles, sanity management, and actual gameplay which a Machine COMPLETELY lacked?!

Min

Oct 25, 2017
What a silly comment. I guess your also forgetting all the puzzles, sanity management, and actual gameplay which a Machine COMPLETELY lacked?!

I guess I am... but none of that was very fun or very engaging for me. I don't remember sanity and inventory really being that big of a factor other than a hinderance for me. Was kind of glad they got rid of it in Machine for Pigs.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I know it goes a bit against their thinking but I think they should consider naming it Amnesia 4: Rebirth for further commercial success. Otherwise it might be confused with another bundle or remaster.

Darkset

Oct 28, 2017
I know it goes a bit against their thinking but I think they should consider naming it Amnesia 4: Rebirth for further commercial success. Otherwise it might be confused with another bundle or remaster.
I'm confused, wasn't there only 2 so far, The Dark Descent and A Machine For Pigs? If not, I've got a whole other game to play.

Amnesia was a fantastic game that took me forever to finish despite loving horror games. I'm hoping this entry holds onto the atmosphere a bit longer at the end. Once you faced a few monsters, they all lost their scare factor.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Part of me felt like they were going to do this, and I'm happy that's the case.

So happy Frictional is making it too. I also like how they mention they are going to build upon all the lessons they've learned since the first released and make sure to use that knowledge moving forward. That means if they hypothetically make SOMA 2 it could also see a lot of improvement etc.

As much as I am a fan of Frictional and wanting to play this ASAP, I am going to have to hold out until I know more about PS5 BC etc. If Frictional has no plans to make a PS5 version and/or release an update for it's PS5 "mode" (or whatever the situation is with PS4>PS5 games) then I'll get it on PS4. This is kinda the situation with nearly all games for me this year though to be honest.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
How many youtuber careers have Amnesia to thank? I know that's the only way I get to experience these horrific games... god I wish I was braver..

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Soma still has one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game, so I really really hope that they bring that same talent to bear on this one. I liked Amnesia just fine but the storytelling was a bit thin. They've shown what they can do

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Soma was pretty good but I didn't really like Amnesia games. Hope it's more from Soma than Amnesia...if that makes sense.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
How many youtuber careers have Amnesia to thank? I know that's the only way I get to experience these horrific games... god I wish I was braver..
I liked PDP in the beginning when he started playing Amnesia, this was his pure and innocent era. He quickly changed though, to adapt to his new younger audience.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing that they're returning to Amnesia - and surprising after the reception to A Machine for Pigs.
SOMA was great, and I was hoping their next game would follow in its footsteps - especially when many people consider the best version of that game the one with the monsters pacified.
Rebirth is an unfortunate name choice for something that is not a remake/remaster.

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
As a big fan of Frictional I'm mildly excited for this. It looks great but I'm definitely more interested in their successor to SOMA. Amnesia's storytelling/design was still very good even if the story itself was just ok. I still think Pigs had a better story despite only really surfacing at the end and being buried under so many notes.

A Machine for Pigs, in general, seems underappreciated just because people had certain expectations. I think it compares to the first Amnesia like Silent Hill 2 to 1. Easier in difficulty, a different approach to horror, more story-focused. Pigs has a lot of subtle details and trippy stuff that I really like

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it has better gameplay than both A Machine for Pigs and Soma. The stories in these games were amazing, but man was the gameplay a step down from the original Amnesia.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
There is no way its exclusive to PS consoles. Its just an announcement on PS Blog. Its likely coming Xbox one like SOMA did.

So yeah, Amnesia is a series that had its birth on PC, there is no way its exclusive to any of the three systems. I think Frictional games are just a small team and can't easily make the game for all three platforms so they went to the platforms that buys more of these games first.

All in All iam extremely excited about them returning to Amnesia series to possibly finish it off? I hope not but we'll see.

I certainly hope so. It just sucks that we're still seeing this kind of stuff but I guess it's understandable if the studio is small, not enough resources to also make it for Xbox. I'm sure there's an audience for this on Xbox and sure as hell on Game Pass too. But I don't know how profitable that would be for the studio.

Oct 25, 2017
Love Frictional games and all their output. This should be great.

Also love Machine for Pigs and sad to see all the hate here. For a walking sim it's great! Moody, good writing, incredible VA work and phenomenal soundtrack (seriously the game is worth it just for the ost). The ending monologue with the music and writing and VA is still haunting.

I get that walking sims aren't for everyone and not everyone enjoys games for TCR, but if you do it's very good.

A Machine for Pigs was the better game of the two, so much of the awkward mechanical cruft of The Dark Descent being cut away made all the difference for me. TDD was a foundational work which inspired so many others to try their hand, many of which figured out what worked best and what didn't and pushed forward in their own ways. People love to be aggressively vitriolic towards anything TCR does, but if they ever took the time to read postmortems done for the game, they might be surprised to learn that TCR had, in fact, been pushing for more mechanics-heavy puzzles and sequences, but those were eventually removed on Frictional's call.

The disagreements between TCR and FG regarding how challenging the game should be, both in terms of enemy encounters and in terms of puzzle-solving, resulted in the difficulty of the final game being much too easy. Once again, TCR should have been much firmer in defending the game that they wanted to develop, but they conceded too many alterations that resulted in much of the game's difficulty being suppressed. This impacted a number of scenarios in the game.

The Tunnels level was initially approximately four times the size of the version in the final game, consisting of more labyrinthine networks of corridors and claustrophobic rooms. Players had to retrieve chemical containers and use the vacuum tubes (present in the final game) to send them around the level and eventually back to the centrifuge. However, unlike in the final game, players were consistently hunted in this area by enemies, combining enemy threats with cognitive puzzle solving. The size and complexity of this area were eventually reduced drastically as the initial version did not meet FG's approval. While the intention of the original level was to emulate feelings of confusion, disorientation and of being lost without the frustration of actually being lost, FG felt that even these emulated feelings might result in player frustration.

The Bilge level also contained an additional area that combined puzzle-solving and enemy threats. The cogs required to repair the bilge pump (easily found in the final release of the game) were located at the end of a large, partially flooded room. Players had to navigate this area, avoiding a number of aggressive failed experiments in the water, retrieve the cog pieces and return (now burdened with the extra weight) to the machine. This sequence again did not meet FG's approval and was cut from the game.

Enemy encounters similarly were intended to be much less forgiving than they are in the final game. TCR implemented a system attached to a reworked version of the enemy AI. This system made use of a death counter already available in HPL2 to carry out different consequence sequences when players were "killed" by enemies. Rather than being killed and respawned at an arbitrary spawn point, players would be captured and respawned in a waste disposal area, or a specimen storage cage or similar area, separate to the main level. Players would then have to escape the area by solving a puzzle in order to return to the main area of the level in question. One such area can still be found in the final version of the game, located near the end of the Bilge level in which players must throw debris at a ladder in order to knock it down and climb out of the waste disposal pit. Furthermore, enemies would not disappear from the level. Each time the player was captured, enemies would either become slightly easier to avoid, or (if players were captured a lot by the same enemy) eventually despawn.

This approach to enemy encounters was felt to provide a good balance of challenge and tension whilst not becoming overly frustrating for players unable to get past particular enemies. However due to the lack of grey-boxing and of scheduling, along with difficulties in making changes to the AI system itself, the issues encountered during the implementation of these encounters could not be satisfactorily fixed before the game was handed over to FG. The result was FG reverting enemy encounters back to a state resembling much closer the behavior of The Dark Descent with enemies despawning if they successfully kill a player. This dramatically reduced both the difficulty of these encounters and the anxiety and fear that should have accompanied them. This is reflected in the critique of a both critics and players and is an area of the game that is far from the originally intended design.

Naturally, things must be cut and reduced as part of game development, but the amount of lashing out at TCR (not you, of course, but the people you're addressing!) is tiresome and misguided. I expect better!

SOMA showed a more matured method of storytelling without the clunkiness and a much finer balancing act between the action sections and setpiece moments. I have no doubt they're ready to give the gothic Amnesia world a worthy successor, and am super excited to see what they bring with Rebirth!

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Loved the first game, though I still need to play the second. The title is a bit confusing since I immediately thought this was a remake/reboot.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the trailer first now. Logo mimics The Thing and the flashes of horror seem a bit technological and alien.

Loved Soma, playing the first Amnesia now. Can appreciate the modern quality seen in Rebirth.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
I had no plans to play Amnesia but I loved SOMA. This announcement reminded me that I acquired the Amnesia Collection from PS+ a while back.
Completed Dark Descent last night and I really enjoyed it, trying to irk out time in my day to play it.

+ Good atmosphere. I played this mostly at night and past midnight in my living room with the lights off. Half of the time my wife would be making sounds and the door open to the next room so I could have isolated myself better (and made the game more frightening & effective) but I still very much enjoyed it all. Game was like many horror games more frightening in the first half when there's more anticipation for the scary stuff and before you totally figure out all the mechanics. Ambient had a few proper tunes ala Resident Evil but also ambient, loops. scraping etc. similar to Silent Hill. I had a nice rush of panic when I got chased the first time.
+ Mostly devoid of cheap jump scares.
+ Puzzles were well balanced, not too obscure and several were physics based. I had to Google a couple of times and another time I felt like I really got lucky as the object was pretty vague. But I thought the great majority of puzzles were practical and flowed well.
+ The simplistic piece meal story presented mostly through notes is enjoyable enough since it doesn't drown you in lore and 'homework' (hello Death Stranding). Every time I discover a new paper I look forward to read the contents.
+ The looting mechanics with analog way of opening doors & cupboards that I enjoyed in SOMA (and originated in Penumbra from what I hear) and general world interactivity/'solidity' feels nice. I also enjoyed kindling the various lanterns (but sparingly) as it worked as breadcrumbs for my progress in largely hub-like and labyrinthine environments.
- Graphics are not very hot by 2010 standards even. Big clunky polygonal environments and lack of general details can make the game feel very low-budget (which was the case). The art shines through most of the time thankfully.
- The voice acting and some of the dialog is middling.
- Game fades a bit out in the last third. It could be an environmental aspect in how I played the game or how well I knew all the mechanics by then but that's how the feeling evolved. It might be how the game tries to make certain aspects more grand as you go but then the low-budget falls short of the aim.

Overall I can see how SOMA was a big jump forward in production quality but I still found Amnesia to be worth my time today in 2020. These games were released five years a part and the same will hold true between SOMA and Amnesia: Rebirth (the first actual sequel to Dark Descent) so I'm really looking forward to see how this new one turns out.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020
I always liked a Machine for Pigs. The plot was really captivating and it had some very interesting themes regarding the industrial revolution. The voice acting was also bloody brilliant. The ending of that game really stuck with me. Granted, the game wasn't very scary and it was a walking simulator for the most part but I think the narrative really carries it through.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
A Machine For Pigs (developed by The Chinese Room) wasn't a bad game at all but it really didn't measure up to The Dark Descent.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Cool i guess. I really did like SOMA more than Amnesia though. Was hoping something more in that direction.
Everything indicates it's the improvements they made with characters and narrative of SOMA but into a more cthulhu/ancient setting.

I like sci fi too, but this is intriguing. Frictional are good storytellers by this point.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
"Amnesia: Rebirth's Setting Will Offer A "Different Kind Of Horror" For The Franchise"

www.gamespot.com

Amnesia: Rebirth's Setting Will Offer A "Different Kind Of Horror" For The Franchise

After a decade, Frictional Games returns to the Amnesia franchise with Amnesia: Rebirth--this time, the devs are utilizing the lessons learned from working on SOMA.

I'm in for whatever they come up with, SOMA was the best game they've done, so I'm all ears for them experimenting.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
"Amnesia: Rebirth's Setting Will Offer A "Different Kind Of Horror" For The Franchise"

www.gamespot.com

Amnesia: Rebirth's Setting Will Offer A "Different Kind Of Horror" For The Franchise

After a decade, Frictional Games returns to the Amnesia franchise with Amnesia: Rebirth--this time, the devs are utilizing the lessons learned from working on SOMA.

Grip went on to say that "getting back to Amnesia has not really been about appealing to let's players," citing that if the team had tried to capture the same magic as The Dark Descent and make "the next big thing on YouTube, [they] would have failed miserably."

I am so glad that they adopted this attitude when heading into this game's development. So many of these horror sequels that tried to cash in on their success with the YouTube and Twitch crowd have either failed miserably or just been thoroughly mediocre (*cough* Outlast 2 *cough*). No matter what they do, everything Frictional have developed since their inception has been stellar, so I'm there Day 1.

As an aside, I really wish they would try their hand at a third person horror game. If there's any indie team that could pull of something really outstanding, it's definitely these fellas.