• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Seeing as how the trailer opens on a crashed airplane, it should be pretty obvious this isn't a remake. Also, this is a perfect opportunity to rewatch a couple of great Amnesia videos

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
From the PlayStation blog:

The year was 2009, and Frictional Games was in crisis. We were almost out of money, and it was running out fast. We had lots of ideas for innovative systems and puzzles, but they weren't working out. Rash decisions had to be made.

"Screw innovation! Let's just make the scariest game we possibly can."

With this, Amnesia: The Dark Descent was born. And it took off beyond our wildest dreams. The game became a byword for narrative horror, and is still a staple of Let's Plays and livestreams today.

Now, a decade later, we want to return to those roots. We want you to experience the thrills, chills, and creeping dread of the world of Amnesia in a brand new story.

I'm proud to be able to finally reveal:

Amnesia: Rebirth

What is Amnesia: Rebirth? A new protagonist, a new setting, a new story, but built on what we learned from the original game. No gimmicks. No inventing something completely new. This is Amnesia.

That doesn't mean that we're just doing more of the same — in horror, repetition is a deadly sin. You need to keep players on their toes at all times. We've had to twist expectations, refine old features, and up the ante on everything you've seen from us.

As you might expect from a Frictional game, we're not simply going for a carnival attraction of jumpscares. Amnesia: Rebirth is an emotionally harrowing journey — something different, something less predictable. It will test you in ways you haven't experienced before, and will make you think about the things that really scare you.

When Amnesia: The Dark Descent came out, we loved to hear the player feedback that said people couldn't get through the game because they were too scared to continue. But, these days, simple horror isn't enough. We want to take you beyond horror and out the other side — and see whether you'll stand the weight of what we put you through.

Amnesia: Rebirth will be available later this year. Let's see if you can bear it.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
There is no way its exclusive to PS consoles. Its just an announcement on PS Blog. Its likely coming Xbox one like SOMA did.

So yeah, Amnesia is a series that had its birth on PC, there is no way its exclusive to any of the three systems. I think Frictional games are just a small team and can't easily make the game for all three platforms so they went to the platforms that buys more of these games first.

All in All iam extremely excited about them returning to Amnesia series to possibly finish it off? I hope not but we'll see.

PC and PS4 according to the main Announcement Trailer, no mention of Xbox One:

youtu.be

Amnesia: Rebirth - Announcement Trailer | PS4

Amnesia: Rebirth, a new descent into darkness from the creators of the iconic Amnesia series. A harrowing journey through desolation and despair, exploring t...

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Aw man, I wished it was something new. Soma was so fresh and captivating.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Rebirth is a bit of a bland subtitle after something like A Machine For Pigs, but we all know that there's no correlation to quality there. Looking forward to watching someone else play this so I don't poop my pants.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I actually cannot believe nearly every theory I had on the game from the ARG seems to be right, but definitely on board! Amnesia was actually my least favorite Frictional game, but I think a modern day sequel can do wonders for it.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Was A Machine for Pigs any good? I've blasted through all of Frictional Games' titles but never picked this one up.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Was A Machine for Pigs any good? I've blasted through all of Frictional Games' titles but never picked this one up.
I'm interested in this too. I own the whole collection on PS4 and planned to play all 2.5 games but ended up stopping after the first one. People seem pretty down on the Machine for Pigs - it seems like something that doesn't have as much enduring popularity. I'd be interested to hear what people think now. The game seems more like a sequel to the first game, which makes sense since Frictional didn't make the second one.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Rebirth is such a strange subtitle to pick for something that's not a remake/reimaging.
Other than that, cool stuff

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A harrowing journey through desolation and despair, exploring the limits of human resilience.
When Amnesia: The Dark Descent came out, we loved to hear the player feedback that said people couldn't get through the game because they were too scared to continue. But, these days, simple horror isn't enough. We want to take you beyond horror and out the other side — and see whether you'll stand the weight of what we put you through.
YESSSSSS couldn't be more hyped for this!!!

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
It's more reminiscent of the "walking simulator" roots of The Chinese Room's games than Amnesia original puzzle hide 'n seek gameplay. It was ok, but worse than Frictional games and The Chinese Room other works (Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture).

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Frictional talked a lot a few years ago that their horror game was going to try and move forward horror mechanics as a whole, they want to be innovators to inspire other games. So my guess is the gameplay mechanics will be quite different than Dark Descent, and try to reinvent the hide'n'sneak horror genre and experiment a lot with what mechanics can benefit horror games.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't amnesia already have a sequel?
A Machine for Pigs was so bad, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Frictional didn't make A Machine for Pigs, Chinese Room (the creators of Dear Esther and Everbody's Gone to Rapture) did. This is the sequel by the original developers and creators of SOMA and Penumbra as well.

They've also talked how they want this game to innovate the horror genre, so it'll probably have a lot of new mechanical stuff to it.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. I was expecting another new IP, but I'm sure it'll be great regardless.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Cool. Looking forward to watching it because I can't for the life of me play Horror games where I can't defend myself as I am scared af by them.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this goes back to Dark Descent style gameplay and expands on that. I fucking love SOMA but the gameplay is too bare bones.
Frictional talked a lot a few years ago that their horror game was going to try and move forward horror mechanics as a whole, they want to be innovators to inspire other games. So my guess is the gameplay mechanics will be quite different than Dark Descent, and try to reinvent the hide'n'sneak horror genre and experiment a lot with what mechanics can benefit horror games.
Good. I really hope it has some solid gameplay mechanics.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Hope its a fully voice acted narrative throughout like SOMA and not like previous Amnesia games. I didn't play Machine for Pigs but I'm assuming it was similar to the first with only voice acting during loading screens and such.
Nope, that's made by The Chinese Room and it's a boring a** walking game, it has nothing to do with Frictional Games titles.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Having finished SOMA a few days ago and now replaying A Machine for Pigs as I type its....not as good as Amnesia its more akin to an older Walking Sim with little gameplay besides some light puzzle solving and hide and seek with monsters, its *decent* enough IF you can get it on sale and I think the initial bad reviews and super negativity when it came out was mainly due to it sharing the same Amnesia name while not being made by the same studio and reaching anywhere close to being as good as the previous. Did came out 7 years ago and walking sims have evolved way beyond it since then so temper your expectations.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said the contrary
What is Amnesia: Rebirth? A new protagonist, a new setting, a new story, but built on what we learned from the original game. No gimmicks. No inventing something completely new. This is Amnesia.

That doesn't mean that we're just doing more of the same — in horror, repetition is a deadly sin. You need to keep players on their toes at all times. We've had to twist expectations, refine old features, and up the ante on everything you've seen from us.
blog.us.playstation.com

Frictional Games Reveals Horror Sequel Amnesia: Rebirth

First details on the follow-up to the cult-classic Amnesia: The Dark Descent, coming to PS4 this fall.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping the engine is better than SOMA. The mouse controls were horrendous in that game. Very jarring coming from Penumbra and Amnesia.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'm so proud of this community. For some reason when I played through a machine for pigs I thought the word of mouth and ratings were high. Then I played it and it was a dog turd. Looks like most did not enjoy it either.

I loved dark descent after playing through soma so I'm really looking forward to this.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing that the Amnesia branding probably has more to do with name recognition than anything else. The 2010 game was monumentally influential in the horror space and basically kicked off a massive resurgence of the genre thanks to the coinciding rise of Youtube/Twitch. Let's not forget that this game is what put PewDiePie on the map originally 😯.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
They said the contrary
blog.us.playstation.com

Frictional Games Reveals Horror Sequel Amnesia: Rebirth

First details on the follow-up to the cult-classic Amnesia: The Dark Descent, coming to PS4 this fall.
I don't think what you quoted is contrary to what I said, actually. I think it can directly be Amnesia but also not be the same, I take the sentence to mean more to people it's not like a Machine for Pigs, IE it's a hide'n'sneak horror game.

But that doesn't mean it's the same either. They even say they're building on what Amnesia did already and want to defy expectations a bit.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think what you quoted is contrary to what I said, actually.
So my guess is the gameplay mechanics will be quite different than Dark Descent
and try to reinvent the hide'n'sneak horror genre
vs
No gimmicks. No inventing something completely new. This is Amnesia.
Seem kinda contradictory to me...
We've had to twist expectations, refine old features, and up the ante on everything you've seen from us.

I think the gameplay mechanics will pretty much be the same, but expanded on. They will innovate in other avenues -
But, these days, simple horror isn't enough. We want to take you beyond horror and out the other side — and see whether you'll stand the weight of what we put you through.
Also the Steam Store page basically lists the same mechanics...
  • First-person narrative horror experience
  • Explore environments and uncover their histories.
  • Overcome puzzles that stand in your way.
  • Carefully manage your limited resources, both physical and mental.
  • Encounter horrific creatures and use your wits and understanding of the world to escape them.

Last edited:

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Not angry, just trying to be transparent to the others since we're dealing with a traditionally multiplat series. Iam myself gonna play it on steam :).

Although on a different note i would say that announcing it on PS Blog can sometimes give the wrong idea when we're dealing with multiplats and I personally don't like it since the press materials there are for playstation only but I can see why the devs would make an announcement there since its a place where they can get the max visibility for their game at the time of the announcement.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Although on a different note i would say that announcing it on PS Blog can sometimes give the wrong idea when we're dealing with multiplats and I personally don't like it since the press materials there are for playstation only but I can see why the devs would make an announcement there since its a place where they can get the max visibility for their game at the time of the announcement.

There is also an announcement trailer by the devs with PS4 and PC at the end.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they do something about the motion sickness. Couldn't play SOMA for more than a few minutes without throwing up.