• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Not bad, I played some of the first game back in the day and enjoyed it.
I mostly remember Amnesia due to the amount of popularity it got on YouTube channels.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Wish there were some impressions. If it's a polished port, I think I'll double dip. This game was the reason I first got a gaming PC back in 2011 or 2012 (which is pretty funny, since even back then it didn't require that much power).

OP
OP

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
It was such a surprise release that I doubt if any reviewers have played it yet, many non-reviewers won't have either of course.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing ad. I would totally get back into this if the first one didn't scare the shit out of me as badly as it did.

Maybe if I play on the toilet shitting myself wouldn't be so bad.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'm double dipping if it's a solid port and if they do a physical release.
I already own all 3 on GOG but a replay would be nice. I never even started A machine for pigs for some reason but The Dark Descent was good, although I liked the Penumbra games more.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to play these games, so now I will!

You know what horror game is absolutely amazing? SOMA. The entire concept is incredibly unsettling. I hope these guys are able to bring that to Switch as well.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Does Justine dump you back to the Switch menu and force you to reload the game when you die?

Because it should.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
A Machine for Pigs is not a good game, let alone a good Amnesia game, but it is still a worthwhile experience, and it has more to say than most games.

This is still incredible:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcsi3hU-rX8

(Massive spoilers, obviously.)

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh shit, immediate buy! Favourite horror game of them all. Extremely fond of Justine as well.

And uh... Machine for Pigs is also there I guess.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
tFGLpof.gif

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can you delete things off a Steam account? Because I suggest doing that with A Machine For Pigs.

I'd honestly just skip the lot. Amnesia was interesting a lot of years ago, its very dated now though and virtually everyone has played it. A machine fo pigs was just awful and should have never been made. Absolute waste of a good IP. Tbh I never even new the Justin thing existed since AMFP took the series straight off the map for me. Genuinely thought they just gave up on it and made SOMA instead

Plum

May 31, 2018
A Machine for Pigs is not a good game, let alone a good Amnesia game, but it is still a worthwhile experience, and it has more to say than most games.

This is still incredible:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcsi3hU-rX8

(Massive spoilers, obviously.)

Ah, fuck, why'd you have to go and link that? Reminds me of just how much of a missed opportunity that damned game was. One of the most interesting stories and themes in gaming stymied by a game that fails utterly to live up to the actual horror of its premise. If there's any game that needs a remake it's this one; get The Chinese Room back to improve the story and get Irrational or someone else to make the actual game part.

OP
OP

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I'd honestly just skip the lot. Amnesia was interesting a lot of years ago

It's still excellent.

its very dated now though

I disagree.

and virtually everyone has played it.

Have they? Do you have any facts to back that up?

A machine fo pigs was just awful and should have never been made. Absolute waste of a good IP.

Not awful but could have been a lot better. The Chinese Room designed that and made a bit of a pig's ear of it.

Tbh I never even new the Justin thing existed

It's called Justine, it's an expansion for the original game. Takes about an hour to play.

since AMFP took the series straight off the map for me. Genuinely thought they just gave up on it and made SOMA instead

Okay.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's still excellent.

I disagree.

Have they? Do you have any facts to back that up?

Not awful but could have been a lot better. The Chinese Room designed that and made a bit of a pig's ear of it.

It's called Justine, it's an expansion for the original game. Takes about an hour to play.

Okay.

Man you've made this a really hard format to try and respond to you in. So I'll try. Fair that you disagree but it's a decade old game. The reason I feel like everyone has played it because this thing was the kickstarter of PewDiePie's success on YT. Virtually everyone had seemingly seen or played this game in some way over the coming months especially as every YT'er jumped on that train. Its had and incredible amount of exposure for a small indie.

Yeah Chinese Room ruined it for me. It just wasnt what I wanted it to be at all. And while the idea of a bit more closer to the original concept is cool I guess an hour of it for a decade old game isn't enough to pull me back around after AMFP

DocDeltree

Jan 4, 2018
Never understood the negativity about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs: I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd say at times even more than the already great Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I recommend everyone who gets this collection and/or is generally curious about A Machine for Pigs to give it a try to form their own impressions.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Man you've made this a really hard format to try and respond to you in. So I'll try. Fair that you disagree but it's a decade old game. The reason I feel like everyone has played it because this thing was the kickstarter of PewDiePie's success on YT. Virtually everyone had seemingly seen or played this game in some way over the coming months especially as every YT'er jumped on that train. Its had and incredible amount of exposure for a small indie.

Yeah Chinese Room ruined it for me. It just wasnt what I wanted it to be at all. And while the idea of a bit more closer to the original concept is cool I guess an hour of it for a decade old game isn't enough to pull me back around after AMFP
It was PC exclusive for years, plenty of people didnt play it. It released on console a couple years ago, but for the height of it's popularity it was limited to people with PC's. I remember trying to run it off the integrated graphics on my laptop in like 2013 but it couldnt hang at all.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Never understood the negativity about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs: I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd say at times even more than the already great Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I recommend everyone who gets this collection and/or is generally curious about A Machine for Pigs to give it a try to form their own impressions.
It took all of the more interesting aspects of the original (sanity, resource management) and removed them because... Who even knows why? Plus I don't think the story is especially worthwhile.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
It took all of the more interesting aspects of the original (sanity, resource management) and removed them because... Who even knows why? Plus I don't think the story is especially worthwhile.
The story is extremely worthwhile! One of the few games that nearly made me cry! It made me reflect on
the entire 20th century, on capitalism, on the military-industrial complex, on modernity. To play a man driven mad by his vision of the century I was born into and lived through—to the point that he would sacrifice his own sons to spare them death at the Somme—was weirdly moving.

The Dark Descent is a better game, and Machine is a bad, stripped-down retread of its mechanics, but the latter has so much more to say.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was PC exclusive for years, plenty of people didnt play it. It released on console a couple years ago, but for the height of it's popularity it was limited to people with PC's. I remember trying to run it off the integrated graphics on my laptop in like 2013 but it couldnt hang at all.

Yeah that's a damn good point actually I'd forgotten how long it was exclusive for. One thing I was really happy about with SOMA was being able to go straight for ps4.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted SOMA...

But man, never played any of this games, because I am a pussy, but I wanted so much...

Oct 30, 2017
The story is extremely worthwhile! One of the few games that nearly made me cry! It made me reflect on
the entire 20th century, on capitalism, on the military-industrial complex, on modernity. To play a man driven mad by his vision of the century I was born into and lived through—to the point that he would sacrifice his own sons to spare them death at the Somme—was weirdly moving.

The Dark Descent is a better game, and Machine is a bad, stripped-down retread of its mechanics, but the latter has so much more to say.
I'm with you on the story. Story-wise, it's actually a top notch piece of weird literature.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
A Machine for Pigs is one of the best videogame titles ever. Like, the name. I fucking love that name. Never played the game, though, but now I will!