• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I know it isn't referring to DeGeneres specifically, but "it's masked in sarcasm, but it's not sarcasm" is such an apt way of describing this show in general. So much of the humor revolves around humiliating people, but it's "all in good fun" so it's okay. And none of that humiliation is ever really directed at her, just at her guests or her audience.

But honestly, none of this is really surprising. From how Kevin Hart was handled to her continued association with W. Bush and now this, it's obvious that the message of "kindness" that she and the show push is a "do as I say, not as I do" scenario.

Nov 21, 2019
I've always found her to have a profound disinterest in other people. I remember her interviewing the Thai soccer club kids who got stuck on that cave for a few days. Here are kids who survived against all odds and have traveled thousands of miles to America to be on your show and while Ellen's voice was passionate at times, her eyes just showed extreme indifference.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know jack about Ellen, but FWIW I was recently listening to a Talking Sopranos podcast with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa who played Bobby. Schrippa said he was Ellen's boss when she was a young comic and regularly performed at the comedy club that he ran. He said he ran into her recently at a party, and he said something like, "Hey Ellen, I'm Steve, you used to work for me" at whatever comedy club it was. According to him, Ellen gave him a look like, "How dare you come up and talk to me!" and then she turned on her heel and walked away.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know jack about Ellen, but FWIW I was recently listening to a Talking Sopranos podcast with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa who played Bobby. Schrippa said he was Ellen's boss when she was a young comic and regularly performed at the comedy club that he ran. He said he ran into her recently at a party, and he said something like, "Hey Ellen, I'm Steve, you used to work for me" at whatever comedy club it was. According to him, Ellen gave him a look like, "How dare you come up and talk to me!" and then she turned on her heel and walked away.

You know, this made me think of something. I listen to a lot of comedians' interviews, mainly courtesy of Maron, and she was around during a really big comedy boom that had a lot of folks who we regard now as huge. And yet, I have never heard a single one of them talk about her. They talk about everyone they knew, but I really don't think I've ever heard her mentioned once.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
What does that guy even do besides lodge himself firmly up every celebrity's ass?

more to the topic, I wonder how other talk show celebs treat their staff. I've heard Colbert's great to his and have always thought that's probably uncommon.
He is good friends with one of the ep's and anytime a celeb does something he posts it nonstop.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Dakota Johnson famously halted Ellen's narrative that Ellen wasn't invited to a party, attempting to shame Johnson for a second time about this publicly as if Johnson was excluding Ellen - Ellen was lying and was actually invited but instead flew to Texas for her reserved seats with George W Bush:

This is one of the most awkward things I've ever watched holy shit.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope something comes from this time. This feels like the second or third time that I've heard these sorts of things about her and seems like nothing has really changed.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I remember someone bringing up that she only looks genuinely happy when doing her Game of Games which is about people getting hurt in obstacles. So yeah, psychopath.

That's exactly what a psychopath would do, and it makes a lot of sense she draws lots of attention to her as being charismatic is another sign for psychopathy.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
LOL @ Katy Perry.

I know people who worked on the Ellen show. It's GARBAGE, I can assure you, and Ellen acts like a fucking aloof princess who doesn't even want to make eye contact with people on set.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing Ellen being put on blast after the way she so smugly blew off the pushback against her chumming it up with George W. Bush.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Ellen always seemed fake anyways. Like she just comes off like she doesn't really give a shit most of the time. That video with Dakota Johnson is a good example of it.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a clue whether Ellen is as toxic as those reports say, though I tend to believe them, but what exactly are those celebrities 'backing'? The hell do they know about the day to day of that workplace?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is one thing celebrities can all agree on it is that staff and workers need to know their place.

Don't these staffers know who is the boss?!

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Years back I remember Patrice O'Neal surprised by how much he liked her because she was a lot more biting and raw that he expected. But then he watched the aired episode and those comments were edited out. Ain't saying she's some terrible person, but its still hollywood af, there ain't no kindness there

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
I don't get why celebrities have to proclaim to the world that they are standing by Ellen - this isn't about her character but about a toxic working environment and the alleged harassment the employees had to go through. Let them be heard, don't silence them.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Respect to Brad Garrett for speaking out. Ellen just seems incredibly bored and disinterested in every clip I've seen from her talk show, so I'm unfortunately unsurprised to hear that she treats her staff like shit.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017

www.bbc.com

Ellen DeGeneres: Stars back TV host amid 'toxic workplace' claims

Kevin Hart and Katy Perry come to the TV host's defence, but her former DJ recalls "toxicity" on set.

I don't really understand why anyone would give a shit about what Kevin Hart has to say about it. He gave an insincere apology when people took issue with some homophobic comments he made, then Ellen stepped in and helped him weather that backlash. Anything he has to say about her just comes across as disingenuous and self-serving.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
All these brain dead famous celebs coming to cape for another famous celeb cause her work place is trash.

I don't know if they're defending her right to ignore a toxic work place or the right of the show to treat the crew like trash.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Wow first time ever seeing Ellen with that Dakota Johnson interview. Why do people like watching her? Her personality is like a sarcastic 12 year old and got real irritating with that one clip. I can't imagine watching something like that all the time.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I do live when famous people with a closet full of skeletons come out to defend other shitty famous people.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
A guest giving his take on that one time they went on a tour at the company, with the boss, and had a lovely time; can't consider how the working conditions might be bad.

Ugh....

Is any mainstream host a decent human being? Conan, maybe?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a clue whether Ellen is as toxic as those reports say, though I tend to believe them, but what exactly are those celebrities 'backing'? The hell do they know about the day to day of that workplace?
Cool, so Ellen treats big important people nicely. Not sure how this invalidates the claims from regular staffers but I guess celebrities know better.
I don't get why celebrities have to proclaim to the world that they are standing by Ellen - this isn't about her character but about a toxic working environment and the alleged harassment the employees had to go through. Let them be heard, don't silence them.
All these brain dead famous celebs coming to cape for another famous celeb cause her work place is trash.

I don't know if they're defending her right to ignore a toxic work place or the right of the show to treat the crew like trash.

Class solidarity is important.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
It must be the effects of that amazing post by Portia.
Such an effort.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a stupid and unnecessary take. Most of the complaints are how employees of the Ellen Show are being treated, so how the fuck does Katy Perry think that "while I the celebrity guest was treated decent, so I've got to stick up for Ellen"?
I know right. Shows such a huge lack of insight LOL