• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
www.buzzfeednews.com

Dozens Of Former “Ellen Show” Employees Say Executive Producers Engaged In Rampant Sexual Misconduct And Harassment

Ex-employees said one executive producer “had a reputation for being handsy with women,” and that another solicited oral sex at a work party.
Nearly a dozen former employees, who range from longtime, senior-level employees to production assistants, said it was also common for Leman to make sexually explicit comments in the office, like pointing out male colleagues' bulges in their crotches, or ask them questions like, "Are you a top or a bottom?"

"It's masked in sarcasm, but it's not sarcasm," a former employee said.

Many of his targets, employees added, were lower-level and younger employees who felt they lacked any power to speak up.

This is spreading due to lots of whistleblowers in the past year, though the notion that Ellen is not considerate or willing to engage lower employees is a very long-standing rumor. She issued an apology to staff, but many are not buying the wording that doesn't address her own behavior.
variety.com

Ellen DeGeneres Sends Emotional Apology to Staff; EP Ed Glavin Expected to Depart

Following the launch of an investigation into the culture at her daytime talk show, Ellen DeGeneres issued an emotional apology to staff.

There were hints other celebs were rubbed the wrong way by her or her treatment of their peers.

When Mariah Carey was pregnant but had not shared it publicly, Ellen surprised her on purpose with alcohol in front of the audience to make Carey refuse the drink on air.
www.mirror.co.uk

Ellen 'forced' Mariah Carey to reveal pregnancy weeks before miscarriage

The cringe-worthy moment that Mariah Carey was forced to reveal if she was pregnant to Ellen DeGeneres has resurfaced and it is even more painful knowing that she miscarried weeks later

Dakota Johnson famously halted Ellen's narrative that Ellen wasn't invited to a party, attempting to shame Johnson for a second time about this publicly as if Johnson was excluding Ellen - Ellen was lying and was actually invited but instead flew to Texas for her reserved seats with George W Bush:

trash can ppl like Scooter Braun say she is kind and glorious, as per

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when she represented the LGBTQ community and forgave Kevin Hart for his homophobia during his big Hollywood/hosting push.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That Brad Garrett tweet is crazy, you very rarely see other celebrities just give no fucks and go in like that.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really say much beyond extremely broad generalizations, but I've had some involvement with Scooter Braun and I would not recommend believing a single word that dude says.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I just found out how toxic Ellen was a few months ago. To this day I am amazed how such toxic people get such a free pass for so long.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
What a non-apology from her. She's trying to make her executive producer the fall guy for her own shittyness.

And good lord that Dakota Johnson interview was incredible, Dakota really was having none of Ellen's shit lmao

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is like a Ubisoft scenario of extreme toxic culture. She knew all about it I'm sure but these shows are desperate to keep a lid on sex offences. It kills a brand.
That said her brand is already toast. The show will probably stay on for a bit but her reputation has been dumpstered hard the past few months and stuff like this is just the nail in the coffin.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Her overly friendly and nicey-nice comedy style has always been a red flag for me, to be honest. It doesn't surprise me at all that that shit is a cover. Overly performative shit like that has always made me suspicious.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was an open secret in Hollywood that Ellen is not such a nice person?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not to excuse Ellen's abhorrent behaviour, but why do these people go on her show if this was an open secret?

Oct 3, 2019
Glad to see this stuff being brought to light, she's always seemed fake as fuck to me and there've been horrible stories from many sources to back it up. She seems like some kind of psychopath.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Not to excuse Ellen's abhorrent behaviour, but why do these people go on her show if this was an open secret?
Maybe because they need to plug or promote their movie/show/whatever. Some kind of contractual obligation?

Glad to see this stuff being brought to light, she's always seemed fake as fuck to me and there've been horrible stories from many sources to back it up. She seems like some kind of psychopath.
I remember someone bringing up that she only looks genuinely happy when doing her Game of Games which is about people getting hurt in obstacles. So yeah, psychopath.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Talent (celebrities) tend to have promotional tours for projects (film, TV, albums, books, concerts). Ellen has one of the highest shows, so she will get a lot great guests.

Many times celebs can't veto it either. It's in their contracts.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Their agents know that a five minute segment on a show like this can tremendously boost their recognition and fandom. Five minutes on a show like Ellen could result in a few more thousand butts in seats at the theater. You can tell from Dakota Johnson's return that she's got a "take no shit" attitude and that she wouldn't be there if it wasn't all business. Like others have said as well, it's likely in their contracts.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She's friends with known war criminal George Bush. Of course anything involving her is toxic.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Not that I was a huge fan of Ellen anyway, but it seems the list of people who aren't hated for one reason or another seems to be getting smaller and smaller. This week I found out Frank Miller and Lebron James are on the the shit pile. Who knew. It's hard to keep up.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because they need to plug or promote their movie/show/whatever. Some kind of contractual obligation?

I remember someone bringing up that she only looks genuinely happy when doing her Game of Games which is about people getting hurt in obstacles. So yeah, psychopath.

same answer to everything else, MONEY

Talent (celebrities) tend to have promotional tours for projects (film, TV, albums, books, concerts). Ellen has one of the highest shows, so she will get a lot great guests.

Many times celebs can't veto it either. It's in their contracts.

Their agents know that a five minute segment on a show like this can tremendously boost their recognition and fandom. Five minutes on a show like Ellen could result in a few more thousand butts in seats at the theater. You can tell from Dakota Johnson's return that she's got a "take no shit" attitude and that she wouldn't be there if it wasn't all business. Like others have said as well, it's likely in their contracts.

Huh - had no idea about the contractual obligations to go onto talk shows, but yeah that makes sense when you need to plug a movie/book/whatever, but you would think that if everyone knows she's terrible, you'd try to avoid her show? Money is too stronk I guess.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Huh - had no idea about the contractual obligations to go onto talk shows, but yeah that makes sense when you need to plug a movie/book/whatever, but you would think that if everyone knows she's terrible, you'd try to avoid her show? Money is too stronk I guess.
Not money. Ellen has a huge audience. It hurts you if you don't go on it. It's wise marketing.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why did people support Weinstein when his predatory nature was an open secret?

Why did people support Mel Gibson when his bigotry and racism was an open secret?

These people all had money, fame, and above all, INFLUENCE. If you wanted a shot at some of that, you have to do what they wanted, even if it was an open secret that were monsters.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a friend who works on the show and has shared some pretty crazy horror stories that line up with whats being said here. Fuck ellen.

Well so is Michelle Obama lol. And Michelle seems to be a saint so far.
Not when youre paling around with W and saying they want the same thing (or being married to a war criminal)

Oct 28, 2017
Super weird story that I can't substantiate butttttt....

Early to mid90's and my Uncle who was an extreme gambler owned a ton of properties in LA that he rented to up and comers. Ann Heche and Ellen were the worst tenants he ever had. He'd tell stories at every family gathering about how she seems one way on her sitcom but he couldn't stand her irl. Eventually they just stopped paying. He didn't have to evict her but before they left they smeared poop all over the walls of the master bedroom and the carpets. My uncle had photos and all of the damage and was showing them to my dad.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Most high profile shows and websites are buddies with at least somebody at a studio or agency and can score these celebs on a promotional tour. The celeb doesn't get called and book it themselves.

Some celebs are famous for negotiating out of doing press tours. Kevin Spacey used to hate doing them, as do the Wachowskis, who negotiated out of doing more press for future movies they direct.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super weird story that I can't substantiate butttttt....

Early to mid90's and my Uncle who was an extreme gambler owned a ton of properties in LA that he rented to up and comers. Ann Heche and Ellen were the worst tenants he ever had. He'd tell stories at every family gathering about how she seems one way on her sitcom but he couldn't stand her irl. Eventually they just stopped paying. He didn't have to evict her but before they left they smeared poop all over the walls of the master bedroom and the carpets. My uncle had photos and all of the damage and was showing them to my dad.

I just don't understand human behavior sometimes. How petty do you have to be to do something like that?

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Aside from Dr. Phil and Live with Kelly and Ryan, she has the most popular daytime talk show on currently, averaging about 4.2 million viewers. Not doing her show would be ridiculous from a marketing standpoint if you're promoting a major motion picture, album, or show. And that's before you get to her You Tube hits.

Power breeds corruption. That's not strictly in regards to money, but also in people's behavior. Otherwise nice people can start to become full of themselves when they have an adoring fanbase and people who tend to their every need. As much as you might feel for Mariah Carey in the clip posted in the OP, she herself is also notorious for the way she treats people.

Some people let stardom and fame get to their heads. For Ellen who's comedic stylings have always included some level of snark, she's leaned into her toxicity which has helped breed a culture within her studio of those in power doing the same to others. The fish stinks from the head down.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
id say some celebs are probably just willfully ignorant as well, as she gets a lot of A-listers to show up sometimes for random things and not for any sort of promotion

i'll just say this too, just assume most of these hosts are giant assholes, i worked at a studio lot for years, and id see hosts like craig ferguson and drew carey all the time, and they always looked like they wanted to rip peoples heads off, and honestly i heard bad things about them as well, but youd never know seeing them on TV. only person i never heard a bad thing about was conan tbh

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a power dynamic. Ellen is supposedly very powerful in Hollywood in general. Celebs, get a ton of exposure through her and run the risk of being blackballed or having their lives ruined by stepping on the wrong toes. Look no further than a lot of stories that came out of the MeToo movement for some of the extremes these women and men went through at the hands of powerful people.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly at this point, just assume everyone in the entertainment business is a piece of shit unless proven otherwise. That whole business is toxic as hell

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While she did a lot of good in terms of mainstream lgbt acceptance she doesn't deserve her platform anymore

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, this woman has a game show that is specifically designed for her to laugh at the expense of people being humiliated, yknow?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Money and to promote their own things.
Find it funny how Yashar on twitter hasn't posted about this but he posts every other thing.

What does that guy even do besides lodge himself firmly up every celebrity's ass?

more to the topic, I wonder how other talk show celebs treat their staff. I've heard Colbert's great to his and have always thought that's probably uncommon.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, I'm honestly shocked she even bothered with that apology. The rumors were about her, not her staff. Attempting to pin it all on them is disgraceful.

trash can ppl like Scooter Braun say she is kind and glorious, as per

She's kind to the man in charge of some of her highest profile guests that her ratings rely on? You don't say!