• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate Joke; History of Similar Behaviour
To those who prefer morbid black humor, but without piling on needlessly, you could say the timing of the death of father could be a result of the "Karma (engine)"

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
If only other video game companies had such brilliant marketing techniques

It's still a weird thing. I could get my Mom playing Untitled Goose Game on Switch, she's 70, she can figure out that game. There are plenty of games on Switch that can be picked up by anyone and played. It's why the Amico failed and why he threw a shit fit anytime he had to defend it. You can play both Untitled Goose Game and Divinity Original Sin 2 on the Switch. You can't play anything more complicated than Fox n Forests on the Amico, well technically you can't play anything because no factory has cranked out an Amico.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku claiming there was a sign war when there wasn't causing one to start has to be the most annoying thing ever. It's just so dumb.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Blaze announced a new Evercade model with an IPS screen. Damn this chip shortage!

It's hilarious that Blaze has managed to put out two consoles and has a third on the way. It's almost like the Amico's failing was mostly leadership and not entirely external factors.

Jul 1, 2020
Blaze announced a new Evercade model with an IPS screen. Damn this chip shortage!

It's hilarious that Blaze has managed to put out two consoles and has a third on the way. It's almost like the Amico's failing was mostly leadership and not entirely external factors.
Panic is also shipping the Playdate and the first season of games has been fantastic so far. I don't see how Amico finds any kind of success at this point if they ever ship it.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

And it looks really nice, too.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
And it looks really nice, too.
It really does. Like the added buttons so it can be played in tate mode for shooters. Nice improvements. I wonder what the people behind Evercade would've done if tasked with creating an Intellivision console instead of the incompetent and scummy twerp who ultimately tried? I can only imagine it'd have been WAY more thought through than the turd Tommy tried to make.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I can't stress enough that for someone who wanted what the Amico seemed to be offering, the Evercade is right up your alley.

The only thing you really miss out on are "new" games, but there are plenty of obscure games on the available carts that will essentially be "new" to you, and it's not like the bespoke Amico games screamed "quality" anyway. Plus the Evercade has two Intellivision carts if you really have Intellivision nostalgia for whatever reason.

Plus, you know, it exists. And, two years on, it still exists and they're cranking out new carts at a fairly regular clip. And it's reasonably-priced.

I don't want to sound like a shill (it's definitely not a transcendent product or anything, I still have issues with their weird button mapping, and the library could stand to include more "heavy hitters"), but I can assure you that the CEO of Blaze hasn't offered me a ride in his car, and we don't text each other like schoolgirls all night.

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
My only complaint about the Evercade is that it doesn't have a Resetera thread as entertaining as this one.

Edit: I have actually been keeping up with it. Have the red/white and the purple version of the handheld, the Vs., and all of the carts for it. Really been enjoying it.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember the weird guy that had a lot of production value with green screens and space ships and what not, that did a bit for Amico ?

Who was he again and what happened to him ?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Am I the only one waiting for the whole thing to crash down just for the WhaHappun or LadyDecade vid that's gonna retell the tale?
Because boy will the fireworks fly on this one.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Actually I don't expect an announcement.

It will simply die, I guess.

I can see some commotion when the games will be moved to other platforms, that's it.
Oh I absolutely expect it to disappear all but forgotten like most console scams out there.
The fireworks will be when people dig into the corpse for the autopsy

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Am I the only one waiting for the whole thing to crash down just for the WhaHappun or LadyDecade vid that's gonna retell the tale?
Because boy will the fireworks fly on this one.
Me too. But I'm guessing that Matt McMuscles is waiting for the actual time of death to be called on this thing before releasing a video. We've thought this thing was dead before, only for one last surprise to randomly pop up.

Although after all the recent departures, I'm guessing even that's unlikely to happen again...

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I doubt there'll ever be an official death announcement. The people who were only in it to siphon off money have already moved on to their next grift, and Tommy's in self-imposed exile because his fragile ego won't allow him to admit failure.

The most "official" announcement I can see coming is in a few months when Tommy decides he needs adulation again and starts posting to a forum. We'll probably get a "the haters killed Amico 😀" tirade, and that's it.

It's more likely one of the people still keeping an eye on Amico stuff will stumble across documentation of bankruptcy or a trademark going unrenewed or something.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Me too. But I'm guessing that Matt McMuscles is waiting for the actual time of death to be called on this thing before releasing a video. We've thought this thing was dead before, only for one last surprise to randomly pop up.

Although after all the recent departures, I'm guessing even that's unlikely to happen again...
I'd honestly rather he wait a year or so to really bother. Because "muh algorithm" he threw the Balan Wonderworld video out ASAP, only for actual info about it's whack development to come out months later. Making his video on it instantly outdated.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
No joke, I was slightly interested in getting one of these so I could show my hypothetical offspring the kind of stupid shit we used to be able to buy before the aliens came and subjugated us.

Please, feel free to point any hole in my logic. Yours, TT.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'd honestly rather he wait a year or so to really bother. Because "muh algorithm" he threw the Balan Wonderworld video out ASAP, only for actual info about it's whack development to come out months later. Making his video on it instantly outdated.
Same with Cyberpunnk 2077, it's less interesting because it feels more like a review (as in re-view) of the news and marketing rather than a dissection of what actually happened.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I doubt there'll ever be an official death announcement. The people who were only in it to siphon off money have already moved on to their next grift, and Tommy's in self-imposed exile because his fragile ego won't allow him to admit failure.

The most "official" announcement I can see coming is in a few months when Tommy decides he needs adulation again and starts posting to a forum. We'll probably get a "the haters killed Amico 😀" tirade, and that's it.

It's more likely one of the people still keeping an eye on Amico stuff will stumble across documentation of bankruptcy or a trademark going unrenewed or something.

What I fear is that people developing games for it signed some kind of contract that prevents them to publish the software on other platforms even if the Amico does not arrive.

That would be bad for them.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What I fear is that people developing games for it signed some kind of contract that prevents them to publish the software on other platforms even if the Amico does not arrive.

That would be bad for them.
Even if they did sign that kind of contract, I don't think it'd be too difficult to bypass. Aside from the legal practicalities of enforcing it (would even the Amico team be stupid enough to spend money suing developers to force them to keep games exclusive to a machine that isn't coming out?) none of the games are all that complex and a lot of them would become legally distinct with just a bit of a graphical makeover.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Even if they did sign that kind of contract, I don't think it'd be too difficult to bypass. Aside from the legal practicalities of enforcing it (would even the Amico team be stupid enough to spend money suing developers to force them to keep games exclusive to a machine that isn't coming out?) none of the games are all that complex and a lot of them would become legally distinct with just a bit of a graphical makeover.

On the other hand, I guess who would buy several of the games shown for the platform outside of that environment.

I mean, in at least 2/3 cases we were talking about something at the level of a 2$ smartphone game.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, I guess who would buy several of the games shown for the platform outside of that environment.

I mean, in at least 2/3 cases we were talking about something at the level of a 2$ smartphone game.
Yeah, that would indeed be a problem for the majority of them. Very few of them ever looked in any way interesting, and that only got worse when they started doing deep dives (down to puddle depth) on some of them.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Specifically asking for religious titles to be created from a developer who has literally made titles of the opposite says a lot about how they view the market.

I guarantee if those ever got announced, they'd pretend the studio wanted to do it of their own volition.

That is something Tallarico seemed to try to pursue, here and there.

For instance, one of the youtubers that "pushed" the project said several times that the console would offer "Christian entertainment" and that it was one of the reason the industry wanted it to fail.

I have not appreciated at all that this kind of "lever" was even remotely considered as an even small part of the "marketing" of the console.

(example:

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'd be down for "Christian" games if they were technically-competent, gameplay-focused, and didn't get preachy. Give me a game about Jacob wrestling with God, a bald guy siccing some bears on children who mocked him, or Jesus sending Legion into a herd of pigs or whatever and I'm down.

The issues are that "Christian" games are usually quick cash-grabs that do the barest minimum effort because they have an unsavvy built-in audience who will buy them just because they're "Christian", or they try and shoehorn in more "Christian" content with dumb quizzes and stuff.