• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 1, 2020
I had no idea the loathing I felt for scammers at Infinium Labs and their Phantom console following their unraveling on HardOCP could be replicated with a "new" console. Nor that one of the most diehard Amico shills would inexplicably call back to the Phantom favourably as well.
At least Phantom got some part of their product to market.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
As someone that doesn't have a horse in the race and only learns of the latest developments by reading this thread, shit's been entertaining af.
None of the people in this thread, as far as I'm aware, have a horse in this race. I'm sure most of us have gone from ambivalence to bemusement of this spectacle.

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea they managed to release that.

A Couchmaster might be more comfortable though: https://www.nerdytec.com/en/mixxxer.php?products_id=32

See, I want one of these, but it honestly seems overpriced af for what it is. It looks like two bits of padding with a board in between. Am I missing something stupidly obvious? I mean, I'm sure there's a little more to it than that, but enough to make the price ~$230 CDN? I'd even try a knockoff, but I can't find anything too much cheaper.

(Sorry for the off-topic rant!)

Edit: I guess there's some cable management and a USB 3.0 hub, and it's made from leather. But I'd rather lose all that for a cheaper price. My PC is close to my couch anyway.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
This entire saga has been a roller coaster but I still kind of want an Amico. Not to play games but rather as a memento from this dumpster fire. I'm not willing to pay those ridiculous prices though.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I remember seeing a post on reddit or whatever of someone finding a backer exclusive of the Ouya at a thrift store. I'm sure someone will someday find the Amico at a thrift store as well, even if it's a empty shell of lies and mediocrity.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This entire saga has been a roller coaster but I still kind of want an Amico. Not to play games but rather as a memento from this dumpster fire. I'm not willing to pay those ridiculous prices though.
Maybe you'll be able to acquire one of the plastic shells they managed to produce. After the bankruptcy, of course.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
It won't be at a thrift store because it will never have reached manufacturing despite reaching (cough) "formal production"

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
CIMPpPd.png

I'm sure the QVC appearance will happen any day now...

The way Tommy talks about and literally thinks absolutely amazingly of himself manages to somehow be hilarious, pathetic and annoying as fuck all at the same time.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Didn't Tommy claim he was in constant talks with Disney and many defunct video game property holding companies to bring them to Amico?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
CIMPpPd.png

The way Tommy talks about and literally thinks absolutely amazingly of himself manages to somehow be hilarious, pathetic and annoying as fuck all at the same time.
Funny how Tommy was supposedly "in major talks" with practically every big company out there, and yet none of them ever wanted anything to do with him. Probably because there was a tiny problem in that he didn't actually have anything for them (and still doesn't today). Guess that was a sticking point.

Also, touting a hypothetical partnership with Bed Bath & Beyond as having an advantage over Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft is...certainly a thing. A very amusing thing. Even over two and a half years ago, the desperation was real. (Exhibit B: "This WILL happen and they love my charisma and want me").

Wow he really said anything he wanted on AtariAge and they just banned anyone who questioned him?
Pretty much. At least until the Amico subforums were nuked from orbit when Tommy's little power trip proved too much.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Maybe Tommy could pivot and sell Amico like those "free" MAGA kids books that rope you into subscriptions from Mike Huckabee?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
To be in talks with QVC is not a big deal, they have tons of reps seeking products all the time and they talk to many companies. Doesn't mean it will ever happen, and most never reach any type of contract. QVC scouts talk to lots of people, they are super positive and cheerful and make it sound like the world will be yours by working with them, yet it doesn't mean they really want you. To get with QVC you have to go through a bunch of hoops still and I've myself been in talks with QVC twice before, it's all sale person nonsense and even if you are interested, it often will go nowhere as the competition is hot. These scouts just want to be the one to find the product for the channel and to get their pay day.

Once they even acknowledge you if they do after initial big cheerful talks, comes tons of business and numbers work you need to do which again will be going through many peoples hands and hoops before it can progress even further, and right away not having an actual product in stock and ready to ship is going to not get you anywhere anyways. QVC wants huge number and stock guarantees.

CIMPpPd.png

Without an actual completed and in stock product, none of these companies will deal with him even if they were. These companies don't deal with preorder pipe dreams.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm in major talks with them" apparently just means "I sent them an email but they haven't responded"
I wonder how many of those "in major talks with them" is when he was at E3 and tried to bug someone at whatever company and they were like "Yeah! We'll get back with you about that!" just to kinda like push him away.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
who has that picture of just a collage of people asking him for stuff and he's like "oh yeah we're in talks :)"

the guy asking for a fucking willy wonka game lmao.

Hey Tommy can you see about making that petscop game into a real one?

"Funny you should ask we're definitely in talks at the moment"

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Don't worry, they'll soon be available in a Bed, Bath & Beyond near you, along with the new exclusive Castlevania, Contra and Shinobi games.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
My favorite of these is still the Commander Keen one, where Tommy claims it would be an "easy phone call or e-mail!" to get it on Amico because he claims he's known Keen co-designer Tom Hall for 25+ years. Which is very likely another fib/exaggeration...if only because, at least one time in that quarter-century, Tommy probably would have picked up the fact that Hall had departed id Software in August 1993, and has absolutely zero authority to license the IP in any way.

But yeah...totally just an "easy e-mail". To one guy. And then Commander Keen in: Aliens Ate My Footbath! is a go. That's apparently how he thinks this works. Maybe an easy email AND an easy phone call if he really wants to go all out!

I admit, I have to admire the sheer brazen audacity of it. The Amico may never hit a single shelf (not even at venerated games retailer Bed Bath & Beyond!), but it's still delivering entertainment in spades.

Last edited:

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
My favorite of these is still the Commander Keen one, where Tommy claims it would be an "easy phone call or e-mail!" to get it on Amico because claims he's known Keen co-designer Tom Hall for 25+ years. Which is very likely another fib/exaggeration...if only because, at least one time in that quarter-century, Tommy probably would have picked up the fact that Hall had departed id Software in August 1993, and has absolutely zero authority to license the IP in any way.

But yeah...totally just an "easy e-mail". To one guy. And then Commander Keen in: Aliens Ate My Footbath! is a go. That's apparently how he thinks this works. Maybe an easy email AND an easy phone call if he really wants to go all out!

I admit, I have to admire the sheer brazen audacity of it. The Amico may never hit a single shelf (not even at venerated games retailer Bed Bath & Beyond!), but it's still delivering entertainment in spades.
I would love it if someone contacted all the people Tommy claims to know, be friends, or have been "in talks" with. I bet the results would be so, so interesting (and amusing).

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
My favorite of these is still the Commander Keen one, where Tommy claims it would be an "easy phone call or e-mail!" to get it on Amico because claims he's known Keen co-designer Tom Hall for 25+ years. Which is very likely another fib/exaggeration...if only because, at least one time in that quarter-century, Tommy probably would have picked up the fact that Hall had departed id Software in August 1993, and has absolutely zero authority to license the IP in any way.

Yeah, that one was one of the more telling lines of bullshit. Tom Hall left id like 30 years ago, id itself got sold to ZeniMax which got bought by Microsoft, so Doom and Commander Keen are Microsoft properties now. He'd probably need his former global managing director to set up a call with Phil Spencer.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Like his 50 year old groupies, he seems woefully out of touch and disconnected from the goings on and trends of the industry he claims he's trying to reinvent. Relapsed gamers who want to apply MAGA to video games needlessly.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
The "We met with MGM last February" is hilarious. I'm sure the people at one of the biggest Hollywood studios had nothing better to do.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, that one was one of the more telling lines of bullshit. Tom Hall left id like 30 years ago, id itself got sold to ZeniMax which got bought by Microsoft, so Doom and Commander Keen are Microsoft properties now. He'd probably need his former global managing director to set up a call with Phil Spencer.
Phil: "Command Keen on Amico? Sure, I can do J Allard a solid. Wait, he's not with you guys anymore? When did he leave?"