• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the people that lose their jobs are able to find new work in a less fucked up field.

My favorite plant based milk is hazelnut, but I don't make it often. I mostly make soy milk, since it's ridiculously cheap to make yourself (even if you add in the cost of a soy milk maker if you're lazy like me), has very low environmental impact, and a great nutritional profile. I someone make oat milk as well, which is probably the easiest and cheapest milk to make.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So what's typically the best milk to consume right now weight loss wise and good cholesterol/sugar wise?

Currently drinking a cup of skim milk store brand

Went from no milk to whole milk to low fat and now skim 😂

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of thumbs up out there for almond milk. However, it uses a high amount of water compare to other non-dairy milks:

_105755173_milk_alternatives-updated-optimised-nc.png

And most of it is grown in California, where drought is a major issue.

looks like oat milk is the skinny legend we need!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I should try Oat Milk

But it was like 50 cents more than Almond Milk last time I was at Trader Joe's.

I mostly just use it for cooking, so any mild taste difference wouldn't be noticed.

Nov 23, 2017
I alternate my milk purchases. I prefer the more expensive organic milk that is farmed and bottled locally, but I also buy the cheap store brand stuff when I need to.

Butter and cheese is going to be the biggest hit in my house. But there's enough brands out there that will make up for it. All the small dairy farmers that feed into Dean's will wind up selling their milk to someone else. Many more will probably go for an organic label since it still grabs a premium.

But these large scale farms with almost no land and routine over milking of the cows can go by the wayside. Definitely not the pretty pictures they like to put on labels.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I'm expecting it to happen more and more. Oatly has grown a lot the past year in Europe. It's bound to happen there too, soon. Hopefully beef and other dairy products follow sooner rather than later.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
The article mentioned that Walmart dropped them after opening their own dairy plant, and I'd say those cases are a major part of it. The name brand milks like Dean's are just wayyyy too expensive compared to the store brands. Most vendors, like Dean's also offer retailers sales guarantees, and give full refunds for any product that doesn't sell/expires on the shelf.

They would probably be fine if they shifted to only selling their other dairy products like butter and dips, though they would have to massively downsize the company, I'd expect.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This news is so annoying. It took us a while to find our kid milk he loves, we found it, then they went bankrupt. We searched for a new one, found it....and now they've gone bankrupt too.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Almond milk is what my family and I have whenever we actually do get milk, which is rare. The idea of drinking cow's milk makes me a little sick, aside from the lactose intolerance

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off with this. People may end up losing their jobs.

This is unfortunately not the bottom line in industries that aren't climate-sustainable. We need responsible government programs (let's just start with responsible govt in the US...) that will oversee worker transitions to other industries, but employment for employment's just can't be the reason unto itself.

If you were just reacting to someone saying, "this is good" then I hear you - not necessarily something to be celebrated but something that's necessary in the long run,