• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I last went into a K-Mart

• In the 1980s

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • In the 1990s

Votes: 79 14.4%
  • In the 2000s

Votes: 208 38.0%
  • In the 2010s

Votes: 194 35.5%
  • Sometime in the past two years (wtf)

Votes: 39 7.1%
  • Never been

Votes: 22 4.0%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I last went to a K-Mart when I was in college in 2013. Shit was like stepping foot into a time machine even then.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
About 2 years, the nearest one shut down about then. We still got a Roses somehow

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
One in my home town that my mom has gone too since i was a baby. Looks exactly the same to me as it did 25 years ago.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Early 2018, not too long before the last one in the area closed down. Only went because I knew I soon wouldn't be able to. It's still empty, drive by it every day.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've been twice in the last 10 years. Once here in Phoenix to get a hose (lol), and then in 2013 or so in Hawaii when we lived there. They were both pretty gross/depressing. It's a nice hose though.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They'd always seem to have games in stock that other places lacked... snatched one of the Dragon Quest DS games from there so that timeframe.

Incidentally I went into a Target today for the first time in like four years?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Couple years ago, before it finally gave up the ghost.

There was a strong, strong aura of nobodygivesashitery there. Like, visible water stains on the ceiling, the floor hadn't been cleaned. The general aesthetics hadn't been updated in a decade or two. If inanimate matter could suffer from malaise, those walls were ripe with it.

I only went there to kill time, but the soul-draining experience near killed me.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It was a year or two back for something trivial. For staples like toothpaste, soap, mouthwash, socks, etc it's not any different than going to Wal-Mart (which is always a worse experience).

K-mart being outdated and odd has everything to do with the insane CEO bleeding its assets and not the business model per se.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Several years ago. They had a bunch of DS games in the bargain bin... wish I got more :/ I think it's been since shut down, but felt like a zombie store straight from the 90s still.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Either the late 90s or early 2000s. My family moved to Texas in '99 and I remember them pulling out of the Houston market very soon after we got here. I might have gone into one once or twice while visiting family in the midwest, but all I remember is the store feeling pretty dingy. Even as a kid, it felt like that place hadn't been updated in years.

Nostalgia-wise I have more memories of Walmart. I remember when not every store was a super center (which still might be the case, but definitely not in/around cities) and the greeters gave out the stickers when you entered. My dad worked for them for a good 15 years or so before he was poached by HEB, and said the atmosphere at Walmart changed quite a bit after Sam died and the kids took over.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I remember exactly. It was 2012 before my freshman EGR class to buy Black Ops 2. They were doing crazy game deals like I bought halo 4 because they gave like a $20 gift card.

Kmart always felt old like a budget Walmart.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
In the 2000s, but the early 2000s.

It was a staple of my household in the 80s and 90s since my parents weren't very well off and Kmart had really good layaway terms - they'd buy everything we needed for school there (supplies, clothes, etc) and pay for it over the summer. I went there a couple times later on to snag game deals, but it was pretty clear that things were starting to head downhill even in the 2000-2004 time period. I also bought an artificial Christmas tree there sometime around then (probably around 2004 since that's when I moved into my house).

Our remaining Kmarts closed a few years ago (and all of our Sears stores followed them not too much later) so I couldn't visit one even if I wanted to, but considering what they were like even 10+ years ago, I'm not sure I'd want to bother.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game selection was weird, but this was long after they stopped receiving new games since they couldn't pay for them

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A few years ago. There was one near our old apartment and my wife and I would stop by every now and then looking for deals but yeah...place was usually a ghost town.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Maybe 5-6 years ago... it was one of those LOW ceiling K-Marts too - like a time warp.

It ended up closing maybe a year later. I don't even remember if we bought anything.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Think the only one around here closed about... 10 years ago. I may have gone once in 2011 or so as a closing sale, but it probably was pre-2010.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
It was back in 2013. Was on a trip with my grandparents and we were spending a week at this hotel in Pennsylvania because my grandpa wanted to see his family who lived there, there was a Kmart in the town by the hotel, so we stopped in there like once and bought some stuff.

That place is a U-haul center now lol.

Pacifaxe

Oct 28, 2017
West Sacramento
In the 90s I'd go there for the little caesers. As a highschooler being able to get 2 pieces of pan pizza, some garlic breadsticks and a chocolate ravioli was great.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I've SEEN K-marts on and off in the last 20 years or so but I don't think I've actually been in one since the 90s

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Before I re-discovered K-Mart, I still have memories of when K-Mart was in Canada. I remember buying some Ninja Turtle toys and eating at the restaurant, getting school supplies, as well as staring at the NES cabinet of games I wasn't allowed to buy :/

Oct 30, 2017
OP, I'm about to blow your mind. In the death throes of Kmart/Sears, they would abuse their Shop Your Way Rewards (SYWR) and would occasionally email me free deals with no minimum purchase required. They'd toss me $7, $15 worth of points to use on anything in the store, and I would get random stuff I need or sort of need and try not to go over the free points amount. Their goal was to get customers like me in the store but I was not buying anything beyond my points, so ultimately it worked against them. Stuff like a Ski Mask, Garden tools, kitchen gadgets, baby clothes... if I had $7 worth of free SYWR points I'd spend $7.02 on any combination of things and leave. Laundry detergent, a bathtub stopper... I am remembering the stuff I got for free this way.

Multiply this by their Black Friday deals. For large purchases, such as exercise equipment (I did this twice: 1 elliptical, 1 stationary bike) not only would it be discounted for BF but they'd offer X amount of weeks with Y amount of points as part of the deal. Something like $10 a week for 15 weeks. I would do the same thing and get random shit without going over, it was glorious and I absolutely abused the shit out of it. They have since stopped sending me offers right around the same time my local Kmart closes. I still have a Sears nearby.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In the 90s before it was closed and torn down. The area were the parking lot and store was is still empty pavement today.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
2007. I'd read that some K-marts had broken release date on Mass Effect 1, so I ventured down to the decrepit local store with my poor grandpa in tow to see if they had any copies for sale.

Alas, it was not to be.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
2019 or early 2020 (pre-Covid) but I honestly don't remember. It was a good store and I do actually miss it if I'm going to be honest. They had good deals, good clothes and just generally had almost anything needed

Also I remember always being able to find new (but pretty old, often up to 5+ years old) LEGO sets or Nerf guns which was always pretty cool honestly.

And back in 2015 before they got rid of video games I remember finding original Xbox and PS2 games there too sometimes

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite K-Mart memory is trying to find a Virtua Cop bundle with the gun for the Saturn. I went into the K-Mart in the local mall with my mom, went to the game section and they had nothing but NES games, all priced at like $70.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Probably the mid-2000s when one was closing in Miami and everything was 90% off.

Speaking of, did anybody else take advantage of those merch sell-offs at Circuit City? I got so much cheap computer gear, oh my god.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Wait Kmart still exists?

Two walmarts moved into my city (yeah two).
They basically decimated any nearest competitor.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
In like 2015 or 2016 I used to go to the one by my apartment with one of my friends to check on clearance gaming stuff, as they occasionally had really odd things on clearance (they still had some PS2/PS3 games for some reason). It was always completely empty of people though, was really weird for such a large store.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Maybe 5 years ago? Give or take. First time I'd been in one in probably almost 10 years though. I was in a city about an hour north of home and somewhat surprised to see it as I hadn't been in one in forever and the only one I knew of that was still open was about an hour the other direction. I needed a drink and to use the bathroom and it was right there so I stopped. Walked around awhile. I had never been in that particular store before, but it still looked exactly like every K Mart I remembered from the late 90s/early 00s. Eerie, it was almost like stepping back in time. I remember they were clearancing out most of their games/electronics at the time and I almost grabbed Puppeteer for PS3. Around 2015 probably. Both of the KMarts from my home town have been something else for a few years now. One is a Dick's Sporting Goods now after having sat empty for nearly a decade right on the main street of town. The other is an At Home which also sat empty for years on the other side of town. A quick Google search shows both shut down at the same time in 2009, about a year before I moved away.

The last one I visited apparently closed in 2018. From the state of it around 2015/2016/whenever I visited I'm surprised it made it that long. The last one in Illinois apparently closed last April. I might have gone (its only about an hour away) if it wasn't for, you know, the pandemic.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say within the last 5 years? It was a closeout sale and the store was mostly empty. For actual shopping, early 2000s.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Probably the late 90s when I entered college. There was only one near me and it sucked, so I didn't really mind when it closed.