• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
MONDAY, Dec. 20, 2021 (HealthDay News) -- Americans in the prime of their lives are worried about the pounds they packed on during the pandemic and plan to do something about it in the new year, a new Harris Poll/HealthDay survey finds.

Nearly 2 of every 3 U.S. adults (63%) plan to change up their diet in 2022, either by eating less or cutting back on specific foods, poll results reveal.

Adults between the ages of 18 and 44 are the most worried about the health effects of their pandemic weight gain, according to poll results.

Folks in that age range are more likely to say they're struggling with diet and weight management. They're also more worried that the hit their health took during the pandemic will affect them in years to come.

"These younger adults are more likely to be employed, and they're also more likely to be parents of children under 18. That probably means these folks are more likely to have been stressed during the pandemic," said Harris Poll Vice President Kathy Steinberg.

"If you're an adult who's 55-plus or 65-plus, yes, it sucks that you haven't been able to visit family and you've been quarantined, but maybe your life hasn't changed that much in terms of what you're doing," Steinberg continued. "Whereas if you're a parent and you used to send your kids to school and you used to commute to work, your whole life has changed."

Overall, more than 2 in 5 adults (43%) said they gained weight during the pandemic.

Of those, 7 in 10 (71%) are concerned about the weight they gained, including 1 in 4 (26%) who strongly agree.

A deeper dive into the poll numbers support Steinberg's contention that the busier lives of younger adults make them more likely to be stressed about the health effects of the pandemic.

Calorie counting and fasting seem to be the top-performing interventions here.

Low calories/low fat, and low carb as still charting too:

Some poll respondents do plan to try a more restrictive diet, however. About 16% plan to try a low-fat diet in 2022, and 15% a low-carb diet.

Those sorts of weight-loss diets are much harder to stick with than an eating pattern like intermittent fasting, said Dr. Lawrence Cheskin, chair of nutrition and food studies at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.

www.webmd.com

How to Eat Healthy for Weight Loss

WebMD explains what a healthy diet is and how it can help you lose weight.

As an FYI, the US diet industry is a 71 billion dollar industry. Doesn't seem to be too effective. We definitely need way more advocacy a la the tobacco PSAs, but the big food companies are really entrenched in politics.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Started on that last year - well not trendy diet but just what I thought was best for me.

Limited my meat intake to only Sat, Sun and Holidays. Limited to only non-cow milk and drinking water.

Also eating about 1,600 to 1,800 calories of food a day. (Though on holidays...I tend to go a bit overboard, though for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New years in the past 60 days, got more under control of what I consumed.)

Eating breakfast and dinner only - no lunch and no snacking.

Been working out at least 30 min a day and a hour on weekends/holidays.

I've lost 25 pounds so far from a year ago.

Last edited:

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Literally only need to calorie count for the majority of people. Lost 30lbs before my wedding with 1500 cal/day.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I am happy I gained no weight after switching to WFH, despite a lot of my daily walking happening at work. Had fun walking around the neighborhood to get my steps and got an stationary bike for winter.

calorie counting and exercise works for me!

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Fasting works but it's not a sustainable
long term solution

I do turn to OMAD when I need to shed a few pounds fast for holidays or something

I stopped weighing myself but being off the soda since I got Covid which I feel is slowly helping

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
I cut out soda, started eating more veggies and less meat, and stopped smoking weed. Already lost 10+ pounds and feeling great. Hopefully get back to 170. I was at my heaviest at 227 lbs and shit had to change. I'm 34 and I want to be able to be with my son for many many years to come and be healthy and energetic.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Calorie counting and playing my video games while riding my bike trainer have done wonders for me.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Calorie counting and fasting seem to be the top-performing interventions here.

Low calories/low fat, and low carb as still charting too:

www.webmd.com

How to Eat Healthy for Weight Loss

WebMD explains what a healthy diet is and how it can help you lose weight.

As an FYI, the US diet industry is a 71 billion dollar industry. Doesn't seem to be too effective. We definitely need way more advocacy a la the tobacco PSAs, but the big food companies are really entrenched in politics.
Well calorie counting along with fasting is a great way to lose weight. At least it isn't fad diets

Jun 10, 2018
Just avoid sugar laden foods, eat veggies, and eat fattier nuts and meat. The calorie counting takes care of itself after that, don't even need to exercise.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Just avoid sugar laden foods, eat veggies, and eat fattier nuts and meat. The calorie counting takes care of itself after that, don't even need to exercise.
I agree here. The issue is the "Culture Eats Strategy". It does work for the individual. But as a population intervention it is harder.

HBO did a great documentary on the obesity epidemic that talked about stuff like Food Deserts:

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Companies like Justeat, ubereats and Deliveroo made bank over the pandy.

they will not make it easy.

Oct 25, 2017
We're wrapping up year two of a pandemic that wreaks havoc on obese people. People waiting around for new years resolutions to make lifestyle changes is a puzzler, particularly for those who haven't had daily commutes since March 2020.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly a good first step is to just stop drinking soda all together. It will make your feel better and more accomplished. It's also the easiest thing to cut out as you can get a water filter for your house and water is accessible everywhere, so it's not going to be an issue trying to find something that fits your diet. After a few months of that you can start working on other aspects of changing how you eat.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm 33 and never had issues with weight, but I have been intermittent fasting for over two years now. I started because I was too busy at work and then I just stuck with it. IF plus exercise has been great for me.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
eat what you like, just eat less
lost almost 40 lbs over 6 months so far
Harder to eat less if the food is high reward, which litters the foodscape.

These foods are literally addicting.

It's why the most successful dieters change their entire environment.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Been on keto for a year. Lost 103lbs so far, people can call it trendy or whatever, but it is effective and now I am cured of my pre-diabetes, fatty liver and my body is so much healthier beyond that. I miss carbs so fucking much though. I can't stop thinking about all the awful food I used to eat. It is SO hard.

Jun 10, 2018
Been on keto for a year. Lost 103lbs so far, people can call it trendy or whatever, but it is effective and now I am cured of my pre-diabetes, fatty liver and my body is so much healthier beyond that. I miss carbs so fucking much though. I can't stop thinking about all the awful food I used to eat. It is SO hard.
People who rail against cutting out processed carbs in your diet are people railing against science. Ignore them.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I've lost over 50 pounds since the pandemic started. No diet gimmick, just cut down on calories and drank a lot less soda and ate a lot less fast food. . Also subscribed to beachbody for in-home workouts.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I agree here. The issue is the "Culture Eats Strategy". It does work for the individual. But as a population intervention it is harder.

HBO did a great documentary on the obesity epidemic that talked about stuff like Food Deserts:

I'm not quite convinced food deserts is the main issue with American diets.

I think Americans prefer (read: are addicted to) junk food, i.e. sugars & fats.

I've read contravening economic studies showing when groceries open up in previous deserts, people continue to buy junk food.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I tried fasting and it was completely miserable for me. Not sure if this is normal, but I start gagging and trying to vomit when I get extremely hungry. It happened multiple times. And by the time I was allowed to eat, I would just overstuff myself. Didn't work at all for me

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I tried fasting and it was completely miserable for me. Not sure if this is normal, but I start gagging and trying to vomit when I get extremely hungry. It happened multiple times. And by the time I was allowed to eat, I would just overstuff myself. Didn't work at all for me

I'll always pick exercising more over fasting, I could never eat less than two meals a day.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Calorie counting is all I need. I combine it with intermittent fasting because I like to eat a larger meal during lunch and in the evening. I also walk a lot. Started a year and a half ago, I'm now more or less at my ideal weight.

I also tried water fasting in the past (up to 4 days) but while it was not too difficult, I just like eating too much. Plus it did not seem sustainable to me. Still, it was a nice experience to gain some perspective on your hunger feeling and that you can easily skip several days without noticing any adverse effects.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

I've read contravening economic studies showing when groceries open up in previous deserts, people continue to buy junk food.
I actually agree, but it's a step in a better direction. You gotta remember the modern food landscape is close to 70 years old. But it really started to skyrocket in the 80s and beyond.

Jun 10, 2018

Fats like soybean, vegetable, and canola oil are definitely a huge problem. However, in my mind the majority of the blame is still on the amount of sugar that is pumped into our foods. It has gotten so bad you have to avoid most yogurts because they're high in sugar content.

Fruit sugar is only good btw because of the fiber intake. Take that away, and it's just fructose, a substance which only your liver can break down, which by all endocrinological terms means it's a toxin, so falling for the "made from real fruits" label is only exacerbating misinformation.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
We were given a South Beach diet cook book for Christmas. Jokes on them, we can't do a lot of the receipes because the food will conflict with the boyfriends coumadin therapy and I am allergic to seafood and tree nuts.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I got into the habit of doing a late night McDonalds' run to hit the 2000 calorie mark for the day. It's an easy way to get there in one sitting, but also it tastes like a hamster cage at petco and is expensive, so I made it a new year's goal to not eat convenience and go back to putting effort into cooking which tastes better. Need to be healthier about putting on pounds.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I did a poll here some months back, and iirc a similar % of people here gained a lot of weight, like 10+ pounds, as lost a lot of weight. I found it easy to be in the latter camp. No big calorie dense restaurant meals was a huge change, and even if I do takeout it tends to be fewer calories than eating in. Not being out as often means less fast food too. I get that not everyone had access to home workout equipment and may have lost gym access too, and people would have other reasons for eating more.

Oct 25, 2017
I did a poll here some months back, and iirc a similar % of people here gained a lot of weight, like 10+ pounds, as lost a lot of weight. I found it easy to be in the latter camp. No big calorie dense restaurant meals was a huge change, and even if I do takeout it tends to be fewer calories than eating in. Not being out as often means less fast food too. I get that not everyone had access to home workout equipment and may have lost gym access too, and people would have other reasons for eating more.

Seriously. No morning and/or afternoon latte breaks and no social eat out lunches? That's likely a 500-1000 calorie change right there!

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Started on that last year - well not trendy diet but just what I thought was best for me.

Limited my meat intake to only Sat, Sun and Holidays. Limited to only non-cow milk and drinking water.

Also eating about 1,600 to 1,800 calories of food a day. (Though on holidays...I tend to go a bit overboard, though for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New years in the past 60 days, got more under control of what I consumed.)

Eating breakfast and dinner only - no lunch and no snacking.

Been working out at least 30 min a day and a hour on weekends/holidays.

I've lost 25 pounds so far from a year ago.
Awesome dude. Good for you. That diet actually look really reasonable. Sometimes I'll have a big breakfast and don't eat lunch. Or vice versa. I'll skip breakfast for lunch.

Ithaca

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have to count calories since I got diagnosed with high blood pressure a year ago. I have to count sodium instead, and that eliminates so many things.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's easy to say 'eat less' but American foods are designed to be addictive and binged.

1) Cut out all soda, artifical sweatners in diet soda causes an insulin response that causes hunger cravings
2) Try to cut down on simple carbs. This will be pretty tough for most Americans since corn syrup is in basically everything.
3) Skipping breakfast is an easy way to cut down on a bunch of calories that you don't really need.
4) Swapping beer for low cal mixed drinks works wonders

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I did keto once for a few months a couple of years ago and it worked really well. It got me out of my bad snacking habit. I've added some weight back but still not back to what I was before.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Lost weight during the covid instead of believe it or not
Many people did. Social eating is a big part of why it's hard for some to lose weight sustainably. if you were in a traditional office setting that meant, not donuts, pizzas, Starbucks runs, candy jars, etc. No to mention stuff like Happy Hours with bar food and holiday parties.

Oct 25, 2017
Tri-State
Many people did. Social eating is a big part of why it's hard for some to lose weight sustainably. if you were in a traditional office setting that meant, not donuts, pizzas, Starbucks runs, candy jars, etc. No to mention stuff like Happy Hours with bar food and holiday parties.
Yeah I lost 50lb about actually, I started jogging doing 10 miles every morning when its not sub 30 degrees outside. Well mostly because I wanted to get back to jump 3ft+ on horseback which i did as a teen.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I've lost about 28 lbs. I stopped drinking beer through the week. Stopped eating sugar, reduced my portion and stopped snacking at my desk. We also invested in a Tonal and eat mostly vegan. It's been a life changing experience.

No trendy diet, I just stopping consuming bad crap.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
When I flew to the usa to meet my now wife in the usa in 2016 I didn't like how I looked weight wise, after I came back I cut down on calories while still eating what I liked. I'd eat fast food once a week at most but I'd just eat the burger or chicken and not the fries or drink the drink and that would be most of my days calories used up but mostly I'd eat at home and focus on stuff that was tasty and more healthy. I ended up going back there 5 months later 28lbs lighter and feeling so much better.

My mother in law hugged me when she saw me the first time after I got back there and then followed that up by touching my stomach and telling me I was too skinny haha. I've kept that weight off for the most part since. Only time I seem to gain weight again is when I visit America to see my in laws due to them being more used to eating out often as opposed to the norm where I live where people cook for themselves most of the week and maybe eat out once or twice a week at most, but I lose it again when I fly home and eat normally here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I gained the Covid-19 (more like 5ish) due to WFH. Some people may have lost weight because they made the effort to workout more since they had nowhere else to go/do. I just sat my ass in front of a laptop for work and binged on media and video games on my free time.

Calorie counting and fasting is a trendy diet?