• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
American here -- I've never waited longer than like 5-10 mins, probably 2008 was the longest I ever waited. Big crowds for Obama that year. Usually it's walk in and walk out in about 60 seconds. I've voted like... I dunno, 40-50 times maybe in my life, and used to go with my parents as a kid. Of course, I live in Massachusetts which doesn't try to restrict voting.

I also live about...... a 60 second walk from my voting locations.

Worth noting -- if you're in majority white, majority middle class and up precincts ... You don't have to wait in america. Most of the people here are white and middle class and up.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
2 Hours here in the US.

I vote by mail now.

wish everybody here got a $50 tax credit for filling in their ballots and sending them back. Kinda like australia but with a carrot instead of stick,

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe 20-30 minutes when I voted on the actual election day and there were a lot of people abound. Generally no more than 3-4 minutes when I vote early. Here in Finland we have at least 1 voting station in pretty much every suburb/neighborhood (at least in a city of ~130 000 people), some of the bigger ones might have more. I can usually just walk in before a trip to the store, there's maybe 2-3 people before me and those don't generally take too long to do their thing.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Maryland (2008 and 2012). Maybe 10-15 minutes and painless in person.

Virginia (2016 and 2020). Took a bit more time in 2016 (25 mins?) because I requested an absentee and didn't know that VA was pretty strict about it, so I returned it and went in to vote in person. They questioned me about it since they had me on record that I had an absentee sent, and had to fill out an additional form, IIRC. 2020 took two seconds. Got an absentee without needing a reason, fortunately. My wife and I drove to a polling place a few weeks ago when early voting started here and dropped ours off in one of their drop boxes as opposed to a post box.

Aug 8, 2019
American in northern New Jersey.

The most I've waited is maybe two minutes. Where I vote there are always more voting booths than people waiting to vote. So I just get my information verified by the poll workers and vote. It's always felt like dropping a letter off at a mailbox.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Brazil, probably 5 minutes or so (when we have to vote on 5 candidates) or 2-3 (when you have to vote on 2).

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I've lived in Massachusetts, Tucson Arizona and new orleans Louisiana during presidential election years.

Out of state voters when I was at university of Arizona could vote in one of the deans offices and I waited about 15 minutes to vote that day.

Massachusetts is always super fast. Got my vote by mail the other day and dropped it off at a ballot mail box by town hall.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Australia: Maybe an hour at the longest but that included the BBQ. It was maybe 20 minutes in the line.

Usually I vote early and have no wait.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We have a voting poll both in the center of our village, it's about a 3 minute walk to get there, and you can often just walk in and out and be done. 30 seconds tops.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The longest was around 5 minutes in Berlin, Germany. Usually less than 1 minute aka instantly. But we can also vote by mail so sometimes I do that too. Fuck me if I see people actually waiting in line for this in America lol

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
Venezuela - you'll be waiting 2+ hours at my voting center pretty much the whole day. I personally make it a point to get there at the crack of dawn before the center opens, end up spending about an hour total between waiting for them to open and voting, but it's much preferable to rolling the dice later in the day. You always hear people that get to the voting center at noon and face 4+ hours wait, fuck that noise.

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
5-10 minutes here in Chile.

My designated location has a majority of senior citizens, and they vote super early. So if I go around 2:00 pm there´s almost no line.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I've voted in Florida and NYC and with both it's been less than 20 minutes. Although it was infinitely more intimidating in FL because of the armed Sheriff officer that was present.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Voting in-person usually took me ~30 mins if you include walking to and from the polling station. Germany.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Longest time was maybe 15-20 minutes in the 2012 election--was in college in a big college town in Massachusetts at the time, so there was a pretty huge line, but it went quickly. Every time since it hasn't been more than a few minutes in New Jersey or New York.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Probably 15 minutes on my Election Day 2016 vote at my normal precinct. Ohio here. Elections here aren't very chaotic thankfully. We just need more early voting locations for the populous counties..

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I became voting age in Florida's time for the 2006 mid-term election. Longest I had ever waited there was 0 min because they have no excuse absentee ballots.

I moved to Texas a few years ago and I had no choice but to go to a physical location. Living in the Dallas area, I've probably had to wait no more than 10min for every election. And really just one was a wait. The rest I was able to walk up and vote immediately.

We'll see this year. Texas is usually a non-voting state with terribly low turnout.

Jul 20, 2018
About 10 minutes in the UK 1997 General Election. (Blair landslide win)

It was the first time I voted. Usually I am in and out without having to wait at all....

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
US (South FL)

Longest was about an hour and a half in line in Broward County. Plenty of time to get pissed off.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica.
I've waited around 3 minutes.
Everyone votes over here and elections are done on a Sunday among what is called "voting party". Yeah, we celebrate our elections.