• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this tweet passing by and I find it interesting to see how voting is handled in different countries, especially now we see so many instances of voter suppression in the USA.

We could talk a bit more about how voting is organised too.

Anyway, here in Belgium I've waited 15 minutes at most because I went at a peak time. Most of the time I wait no longer than 5 minutes.

Voting here is mandatory on all levels, though city council elections will become voluntary in the next cycle.

Every Belgian citizen of voting age gets a card in the mail with the voting location they should visit on voting day. I believe migrants who are eligable to vote have to register themselves though, and vote voluntary.
Your appointed polling stations is always closeby where you live (always in your municipality, and usually in schools. Larger municipalities and cities have multiple locations). Polling stations are also are divided in different numbered rooms. You can only vote in the room assigned to you on your voting invitation. I believe this is mainly to make it easier to check if everybody has come to vote (shorter lists), but I reckon it limits waiting times even further too as there is less chance to end up in a long line. (Every booth has a couple of booths to cast your vote).

Elections are always on sundays, so the vast majority of people have a day of anyway. Those that do have to work in essential services or those that are abroad have to vote by proxy.

Though voting is mandatory (well, not voting itself as you can cast blanks, but you have to show up) it's not really enforced. People who don't show up usually don't get fined. But participation is high, because most people do show up.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I'm 21 so I've only voted thrice, but the longest time I had to wait was less than three minutes. You can vote at so many places her in The Netherlands. I lived in a city with a population of 200.000 and there were 55-60 places where you could vote.

Magni

Over an hour, at the French embassy in Tokyo for the 2017 presidential elections. The first time I showed up, there was a 3 hour line, so I went back home (the embassy was a ~20 minute bike ride from my appartment at the time and it was a beautiful day 🤷‍♂️). The second round had a much shorter wait. And there was no line whatsoever for the legislative or European elections...

I must have waited <10 minutes when I voted in France for the 2012 presidential elections.

I've only ever voted by mail in American elections.

I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes when accompanying my wife to vote in any Japanese election.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
At most, I've waited less than 5 minutes to vote. I am in San Francisco and we are required to vote or drop off our mail in ballots at our designated polling place according to our address.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I'm Norwegian and have voted every two years since I turned 18 (I'm 40 now), and I have never waited more than 5 minutes. Usually, I don't have to wait in line at all.

All my polling stations have always been within walking distance of my home too. It's a simple thing to pop by and vote on my way home from work.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Like, a minute? 🇦🇹 Austria.
(and not really in a line, just having small talk with the election workers until one of the two voting booths freed up)

"Voting" is literally something you do during a sunday stroll here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, about 25 minutes. But that was a one off; most of the time it's ten or fewer.

Daeda

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Probably about 15 minutes, mostly because I voted during the morning commute at Utrecht Central Station, the most crowded train hub in The Netherlands.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've only ever had to actually "wait" once for maybe 10 minutes, way back in ... 2009?10? . Every other time I've gotten my ballot immediately and gone straight to a booth.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Canada. Toronto, specifically. Across five different voting locations in the city, across municipal, provincial, and federal levels, probably 10 seconds waiting for one person ahead of me in line.

Oct 27, 2017
maybe 2 minutes. Every school is a polling station here.

Thinking about it I cant remember ever waiting, I usually just go in an vote straight away.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
American here (in Houston, Texas). I usually only have to wait about five minutes, but in the last primary I ended up waiting in line to vote for like an hour. It was bizarre, but I'm guessing it was because there was a lot of enthusiasm to vote in my area (which is good!) and also because they halved the number of voting machines (dumb).

I'm going to vote early at a different location for this election, so hopefully it won't be an issue this time.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
These days i usually vote early so then it is usually maybe one extra person at the balloting place. No time to wait to vote and you're done in like 1-2 minutes in total.

Last time i didnt vote early was in... 2006? or so.. Then it took maybe 5 - 10 minutes to be done to vote on the general election day. Sweden here.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Germany, I think I never had to wait at all.
The whole concept of waiting in Line to vote on a working day is absolutely baffling to me.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had to wait here in the UK. I always go to the polling station before work at like 7:30am, so there's hardly anyone there and I can basically walk in and be directed straight to a booth. My polling station is a church so it's pretty big.

I can remember when I was a kid, my parents having to wait because their suburb was quite large and their polling station was a temporary shipping container in a car park that could only fit 3-4 people in it. But even then it was only a few minutes.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Never had to wait in the UK, there's so many polling stations that you just walk in and out.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Canadian here. I don't think I've ever waited longer than 10 minutes and that was on an election day. I've volunteered as a poll worker in the last three elections so I usually vote at the election office when they call us in for the training seminar now. Haven't had to wait at all for those.

During the last election our peak wait time was during the first day of an advance poll and it was 1 hour. Lunch time on a friday.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Israel - I think... 5 minutes? Usually it takes no time, but if you go when there's a rush you could end up waiting a few mins.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Whenever i went to the polls here in germany i was the only guy in line.
The only time this wasn't the case was 2 years ago when i was accompanied by a goose that followed me into the building.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Germany here. Depending on the kind of election, I either never or only had to wait for like 10 minutes to vote. Also never had to register to vote.

Czech Republic. Around 1 minute tops if there are like four people in front of me already.

Just to give an idea - one big city, different locations where people go depending on the part of city, you get in, you see person with your street's name written there, you whip ID, they check, strike, check your face and id, give you an envelope and off you go push ballots you;ve received via post in it. Drop it in, say bye.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
New York State here. Maybe 5 min? Usually tho when I go during the work day, I'm able to walk right in and out.

It makes me absolutely sick to see the hoops people in other (cough*GOPcontrolled*cough) states have to jump thru to vote.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall ever waiting in line.

I go 10-15 minutes before the polls close and there's usually no one there.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Germany here, never waited in the last 14 years of voting. Also voted via mail few weeks ago for the first time. Effortless.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I have never voted and I don't intend to, tbh, but the times I have been with someone who went to vote, those people never had to wait. Spain.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Netherlands here.
Maybe 6/7 min if there was a line around a time that more folks came in at once.
But from the 15 years I have been voting it usually walk in, have a papers check and then vote be out in about 4 min.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
France here, maybe 15 minutes tops because I went at peak time. We vote on sundays, no early or by mail voting but there are PLENTY of polling stations set up at each elections.

USA keeps being a failed democracy, it's not even funny. Seeing people have to wait 5 hours to vote is just crazy.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
UK, maybe 1 minute?

Usually go on the way into work. Longest queue I can remember is two people.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta GA. 2016 was close to 1.5 hours I think. I was flirting with the woman in front of me the whole time, which helped pass the time.