• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
There's something innocent in her offering advice for those to live a better life, self interest in selling her book aside. Sounds like a good time that could benefit people and is a nice daydream in our current work from home paradigm.

But there is something fundamentally wrong with westerners, who's wages are so much higher because of the boot pressed to the rest of the world to suppress their wages for cheaper products, being paid that premium in addition to taking advantages of the cheaper cost of living. Sure, their money is probably good for locals, and the argument should probably be more against global inequalities than the impact of this individual couple, but it still feels a bit skeevy.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
All over an e-book, this is why you move in silence. I actually saw the original thread and she deserves to be dragged, especially after her girlfriend said they don't pay taxes and she mentioned her book talks about how to get into the country during their lockdown. It's insane to see the same black ppl that complain and call white people colonizers going up for this when it's the same thing.

Move to Bali, but do it the right way if that's what you want to do. It's also extremely irresponsible of her to try to help others get to Bali when she knows there is a lockdown.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I worry about this kind of thing.

Say all you want about she shouldn't have posted etc but no one is ready for this kind of backlash. I really worry what being blown up and talked about with this much venom and this much volume does to a person.

It makes me really uncomfortable.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I get that that's expensive, but maybe she shouldn't have overstayed her visa. The visa rules are there for a reason and if she's breaking them it's breaking the law.
Its actually really easy (but maybe inconvenient to some ppl) to renew that type of visa as an American. Also way cheaper than dealing with those overstay fines. If you aren't completely broke there's no reason to even risk overstaying. Maybe something is different because of covid times, but still..

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Indonesia did deport white peoples tourist as well, we highlight their behavior on local news and forum. Not many international media picked it up I guess.
I think most people in this thread are talking about those who aren't affected by American/Western tourism when it comes to the criticism.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually not very expensive at all, I would be worried rich assholes might decide to eat the cost.

Sorry I missworded my post. I get her fine is expensive now given how long she's waited - I read that tweet and felt like the person was annoyed she's getting fined ^^

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Sorry I missworded my post. I get her fine is expensive now given how long she's waited - I read that tweet and felt like the person was annoyed she's getting fined ^^
That's what I mean though, that fine -for a year and a half of living somewhere illegally- is actually really freaking cheap. She's there because the cost of living is really low, so a ~$26k usd / year fine on top of it is still probably manageable for a lot of people. You could probably live comfortably there for what, $30-40k a year, so if you make $70k a year you could go there and ignore their laws indefinitely.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

2eyJ1KY.png

No one talks smack like Indonesians lmao

Also, more white people fuckery:

www.abc.net.au

Bali has a high compliance with COVID-19 protocols. But some foreigners are 'naughty'

Thousands of people have been caught without face masks in Bali but not all have been hit with a fine — many are getting away with little more than a racing pulse after a round of punitive push-ups.

Oct 27, 2017
I worry about this kind of thing.

Say all you want about she shouldn't have posted etc but no one is ready for this kind of backlash. I really worry what being blown up and talked about with this much venom and this much volume does to a person.

It makes me really uncomfortable.

Not very comfortable with internet mobs in general. Hopefully she'll go social media dark and just get the boot from the country. That kind of smug atitude towards local laws and customs really pisses me off.

Nov 1, 2017
The Us demands you pay at least as much in taxes as you would if you lived here, even if you live in Dubai where there are no taxes.

Ehhh, sort of. There's a foreign earned income exclusion provision in US tax law. If you make under the threshold (currently $107,600) in foreign income in a tax year, it's not counted as income for US tax purposes. You still have to file, though. (American living in the UK here. It's why I have over a decade of federal returns showing zero tax owed and zero refund.)

However, there are lots of caveats and tests around that, mostly about whether you're considered to have your tax home in a foreign country. I'm not a lawyer, but I've got a feeling someone who overstayed her visa wouldn't qualify.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah, I don't think it's that great when somebody gloats & advocates for a colonizing mentality on social media. People that are criticizing her are in the right here, although maybe they're going in a bit hard. She and others need to learn that this is a gross attitude towards having when Westerners want to treat poorer countries like little lily pads that they can escape to so and live like kings & queens with their foreign currency.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the overall point, but Twitter continually leads to people vastly overstepping themselves for things like this.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I was in Bali last last year, I was not prepared for the stark difference between the living conditions of the locals and tourists/westerners.

Tourists have access to dirt cheap luxury villas and resorts that the locals could only dream of having. This woman's post and ebook is definitely tone deaf.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
I was in Bali last last year, I was not prepared for the stark difference between the living conditions of the locals and tourists/westerners.

Tourists have access to dirt cheap luxury villas and resorts that the locals could only dream of having. This woman's post and ebook is definitely tone deaf.
This is honestly a big part of why I'm hesitant to vacation in places like this, where the locals are so much worse off, and I'd be living it up like everything's great.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Watched that thread go down in real time. What blew me was people really tryna argue locals were trying to get her out of there because she was black, like nah. It was because of that shit she was tryna teach them in the ebook. Not paying taxes, avoiding Covid checks, etc

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
- Overstayed on Visa
- Didn't pay taxes
- Actively telling others how to avoid rules to combat a deadly disease

Did I miss anything? I don't see a problem with people migrating abroad to make a better life for themselves, but her thread just comes across as ignorant; maybe just me but it feels like gloating about how wonderful her life is. It's so privileged to be in a position where you can just up and move like that, as a 'digital nomad' - a phrase I'm sick to death of already.

All of this influencer culture bullshit about "elevating" your life can go away too.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
She became the kind of American she'd probably hate if she were forced to still be here.

It's hard not to think that everyone on earth would be a piece of shit if just given the opportunity.
I definitely would. No shame or shade to her from me. As a black woman who has lived in the US her entire life, all sis had to do is not break the rules and write the book and she could have lived her life in peace until old age.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Why don't you question why you feel the need to call women 'girls'. Do you refer to men as boys?

This is a more complicated question than it seems, depending on the language.

In Spanish there's two equivalent words to "boy" and "girl". You have "niño" and "niña", which has the connotation of a prepubescent child. Then you have "chico" y "chica", which technically address teens and young adults. In informal conversation, however, it's common to refer to each other with the latter instead of "hombre" and "mujer", which feels a lot more formal. It's a generational thing but e.g. my SO (44) refers to her 40-50 year old friends as "chicas".

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely would. No shame or shade to her from me. As a black woman who has lived in the US her entire life, all sis had to do is not break the rules and write the book and she could have lived her life in peace until old age.
100% I didn't even think this was about a black person until i read the article because this straight yt behavior.

Shit I want to buy a house in Nicaragua off of Lake Grenada too but guess what, I would learn the language and attempt to provide some positive impact to my neighbors. Last thing I need is to be a black man abusing the laws and being disliked halfway across the world.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
This is example 3000+ of the way the internet (Twitter especially) everyday selects one person who's doing something a little bit bad/obnoxious and conducts a mass harassment campaign against them. The internet is truly broken.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I mean though, that fine -for a year and a half of living somewhere illegally- is actually really freaking cheap. She's there because the cost of living is really low, so a ~$26k usd / year fine on top of it is still probably manageable for a lot of people. You could probably live comfortably there for what, $30-40k a year, so if you make $70k a year you could go there and ignore their laws indefinitely.

Overstaying visa normally mean fine. Plus deportation and persona non grata on the passport.
Not that is usually a problem if you do stuff correctly. Unlike western countries, SE Asian countries have much more visa flexibility.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is example 3000+ of the way the internet (Twitter especially) everyday selects one person who's doing something a little bit bad/obnoxious and conducts a mass harassment campaign against them. The internet is truly broken.

You probably shouldn't publish a book wherein you promote a lifestyle involving illegally extending your Visa and breaking COVID-19 rules though. (If that is truly in the book as some have stated)

As well as the 'why would I pay taxes' question - it is all very tone deaf.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of Twitter mobs either but the bigger misconduct are covid restrictions evasion, tax evasion and overstating their visas. Those aren't a little bit wrong and I hope she gets kicked out of the country for all of the above.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think of her race one bit when I read that thread from her and the info about the ebook. It's shitty and she deserves the dragging she is getting. Especially with the covid bullshit.

I'm brown and similar shitty things happen in South Asia. It sucks.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
She traveled to a developing country where she ignores covid restrictions and dodges local taxes then tried to sell a book encouraging people to come to Bali and do the same. That goes beyond merely obnoxious into harmful territory.