• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This brand is probably not too popular with the ERA demographic lol. A former GF of mine loved this place, but the vibes were so GOOPish lol. So this is not a shocker I think.

www.thecut.com

Anthropologie Accused of Racially Profiling Black Customers

Former employees say they were instructed to identify Black shoppers as “Nick” or “Nicky” and follow them around stores.

Twee goods emporium Anthropologie allegedly uses a codename to flag Black customers for in-store surveillance: "Nick" or "Nicky," according to the Instagram account Diet Prada.

The fashion industry watchdog compiled comments former employees left on a June 1 post from the retailer, which — in whimsical font characteristic of the brand's "boho-kitsch" aesthetic — used a Maya Angelou quote as a "call for equality." As Diet Prada pointed out, the post did not mention the Black Lives Matter movement or racial justice at all, and it angered former employees and customers alike.

"Comments from multiple employees confirm that stores in California, Chicago, Seattle, NYC, and Canada use the code name 'Nick' to refer to Black shoppers," Diet Prada's caption reads. "Associates report being told to watch Black shoppers, and Black shoppers also commented confirming having been followed while shopping in their stores." (Anthropologie has denied the claims.)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This brand is probably not too popular with the ERA demographic lol. A former GF of mine loved this place, but the vibes were so GOOPish lol. So this is not a shocker I think.

www.thecut.com

Anthropologie Accused of Racially Profiling Black Customers

Former employees say they were instructed to identify Black shoppers as “Nick” or “Nicky” and follow them around stores.
IS this the place with the pingpong table in the shape of easter island?

Aug 1, 2018
"Black shoppers also commented confirming having been followed while shopping in their stores."

#1 reason the only thing I buy from brick and mortar stores is groceries and if I could buy them online I would. These fuckwits think they're being clever when they follow you around, but the shit is always obvious as fuck.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing someone said the hard R and when a coworker gave them a crazy look they said "No I said Nick."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
25748542_000_b

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Anthropologie is THE store for "oh shit, it's only 2 hours until mom's birthday party so whatever...get some candles."

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
My mom loves this place Lmao

I wonder how many other retailers practice similar policies 😒

Happily not the place I work at. Besides, we'd lose sight of the real shoplifters if that was our policy. Most our shoplifters are white (and look/probably are junkies. That's a much bigger tell then anything else). We do follow people that are known shoplifters or we suspect (usually we see them hiding something or they come in with a lot of bags. Many times they'll come in pairs and have some one be really needy with lots of questions while the other one gets stuff while we are distracted).

#1 reason the only thing I buy from brick and mortar stores is groceries and if I could buy them online I would. These fuckwits think they're being clever when they follow you around, but the shit is always obvious as fuck.

Honestly, that's kinda the point. The whole idea is it makes the shoplifters uncomfortable and they leave. They aren't trying to be clever, they're trying to bully you into leaving (cause they assume you are going to shoplift). Also why they might be very attentive to you (asking if you need help everywhere. Hell, my work wants us to make sure to ask everyone if they need help but one of their reasons is it makes shoplifters uncomfortable).

Not saying it's right that it's done to you (cause obviously they are assuming of you most likely just based on your skin which is not right), but in general that's the reason why stores follow some one they suspect of shoplifting. They want the shoplifter to notice they're being followed (But in a way they can have plausible deniability).

As for this article, glad I've never even heard of the store (or actually I may have seen one once but I thought it was really pretentious if I'm thinking of the right one). Fuck them. Sadly, I suspect their market probably doesn't care (especially if they are the store I'm thinking of).

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I recall getting followed around by employees the few times that I have walked into stores like Hollister and the like. Not surprised for Anthropologie either.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Happily not the place I work at. Besides, we'd lose sight of the real shoplifters if that was our policy. Most our shoplifters are white (and look/probably are junkies. That's a much bigger tell then anything else). We do follow people that are known shoplifters or we suspect (usually we see them hiding something or they come in with a lot of bags. Many times they'll come in pairs and have some one be really needy with lots of questions while the other one gets stuff while we are distracted).

Honestly, that's kinda the point. The whole idea is it makes the shoplifters uncomfortable and they leave. They aren't trying to be clever, they're trying to bully you into leaving (cause they assume you are going to shoplift). Also why they might be very attentive to you (asking if you need help everywhere. Hell, my work wants us to make sure to ask everyone if they need help but one of their reasons is it makes shoplifters uncomfortable).

Not saying it's right that it's done to you (cause obviously they are assuming of you most likely just based on your skin which is not right), but in general that's the reason why stores follow some one they suspect of shoplifting. They want the shoplifter to notice they're being followed (But in a way they can have plausible deniability).

As for this article, glad I've never even heard of the store (or actually I may have seen one once but I thought it was really pretentious if I'm thinking of the right one). Fuck them. Sadly, I suspect their market probably doesn't care (especially if they are the store I'm thinking of).
Yeah. They're very pretentious. They are right below luxury.

Oct 30, 2017
it's expensive as fuck unless you're willing to go into the 8x8 room stuffed with the clearance items.

surprised anthrolopologie did this considering i barely saw employees move beyond the cash register.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty disgusting. A retailer that I worked at 10+ years ago when I was a teen explicitly taught employees to profile across the board and how to indicate high value and low value individuals based on socioeconomic status and other factors. All had nicknames.

This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
From my experience going into an Anthropologie store it seems pretentious as fuck to me, so I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this store.

*googles*

Wait, there's one on the mall nearby? LOL.

I'll keep it that way.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Nick, really? As in "to steal"? Or is it short for something worse?

Like seriously, I don't think they could've picked a worse name.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
So much shit like this is going to keep coming out day after day. People will be open to seeing (assuming they want to) just how racist this country always have been even in modern times.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Nick, really? As in "to steal"? Or is it short for something worse?

Like seriously, I don't think they could've picked a worse name.
At least that was how we used in when I worked at Urban Outfitters. It applied to anyone suspected of shoplifting. Not going to lie and say black folks (especially groups) didn't get singled out a hell of a lot though.
Welp, fuck them, ridiculous!

oh my god, lmao... Never knew this store, but does they have a reputation about black customers or what?

or is the joke is that these items are so useless and white than black customer would never buy anything there?
def the second for me. Anthro (as we call it internally) is def known as a rustic cottage girl wetdream. Free People was more "bohemian" inspired in contrast.

Last edited:

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
I used to shop there because they were the only place that sold jumpsuits in petite sizes at the time. Every time I walked in the store, they gave me the "You don't belong here" look. And one of the employees just couldn't believe I actually spent $300 on an item. I am never shopping there again after that experience.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Looking forward to a message on instagram in size 14 Apology Font, a promise to give some cash to a generic black org (NCAAP?) and 'sensitivity training' for all associates as they simply change the nickname to 'Chris' when people of color pop into their store.

I want to see the blood of C level execs splashes on my screen, and not simply them stepping back from the role while keeping their ownership shares. As much as its cathartic seeing your Party City, mid level wall street mgnt, Fexex worker catch shots for their racism, they need to catch the guillotine too since they foster the culture