• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

I think the creator of the video puts something that has been bugging me for awhile into a succinct and concise way. It is very difficult to talk about America's true history without Americans blowing up and repeating thought terminating cliches about America being the greatest country in the world, a beacon of freedom and hope, and other ways of saying that America's shit doesn't stink. But these myths, to me, seem to be the origin of so much of the evils that America puts out into the rest of the world, thinkin that it is above the rules that other countries are expected to follow. The oppression and genocide of native americans is not something that is in the past. Manifest Destiny is not a bad argument we left behind in the 19th century, we invoked notions of preemptive self defense when we invaded Iraq and are now using it on Iran. Myths about our freedom and democracy fuel our interference with other countries' elections and support for right wing coups.

At the same time, there seems to be an impenetrable bubble or wall of lies that terminate all self reflection. This knee jerk defensiveness when the issues get brought up. "You hate America!" "If you don't like America, get out." It's not just CHUDs in the boonies, it is everywhere. It makes critics of America and American mythology unelectable and unplatformable. Even now, in my city, Italian Americans are making a stink about the city I live in considering abolishing columbus day.

It feels like there simply isn't a combination of words that can pierce the widespread dogmatic indoctrination I and most other Americans got when we were children. I grew up in the south where I imagine it was even worse and my dumb eighth grade American history teacher taught us that "slavery wasn't that bad, they got free food, housing, and jobs." But even up here, when I was working as math tutor I saw an American history textbook in the library that had a section about the US invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan with a picture of an American soldier handing balloons to an Afghan child. It may be easily disprovable, but there is so much of it, and we are fed from the cradle; non-leftist Americans become angry and irrational when it is questioned. I don't know what to do about it but the answer can't be to lie back and assume that since the lies makes people content that it must be for the best. That is the negative peace of an absence of conflict, not the positive peace of the presence of justice, to paraphrase Martin Luther King.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont have anything clever to add, aside from just saying I agree. This mythology forms much of the basis for the (wrong) idea that America has historically been the good guy and is used to justify further interventions abroad.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This was a good episode from a podcast I listen to about that issue and how the textbook industry continues to push a specific idealized version of American History.

A textbook writer gets stifled by the industry when his attempts to include certain facts and historical perspectives clash with the deification of the founding fathers and America

===

Personally and as an American, this has been something that became deeply disturbing and depressing in my post-high school years. I grew up in a household with a conservative republican father, so Fox News and Mark Levin and that seemingly immutable indisputable concert of America being the best, the beacon, was just normalcy. School didn't do anything to dissuade that notion either. In history, we certainly never learned about Black Wall Street and Tulsa, or how America's eugenics and Jim Crow laws were ground-zero inspiration for the Nazis, or all the heinous wartime acts of the American Revolution

OP
OP
Terra Torment

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I'm assuming by "Americans" you primarily mean "white Americans"?
I wish that was true but I have met people with distorted views of our founding from a variety of races. I don't have any hard data but white people are probably worse. But there are certainly conservatives of color. There's also folks of color who believe in not rocking the boat.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll have to give this a watch but agree with your OP, Terra Torment. I only lived in USA for 2.5 years during high school and there's a lot of deification and whitewashing of history.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I grew up in rural Kentucky (an area you'd expect to be pretty bad about this) and honestly there was very little of this in my social studies/history classes outside of discussing U.S. involvement in World War II specifically. I was pretty fluent in American shittiness by the time I graduated.

I'm assuming by "Americans" you primarily mean "white Americans"?
Hamilton is probably the most "rah-rah America is the greatest ever" thing I've seen as an adult, and that was largely non-white.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I was so lucky to go to a high school whose US History classes were all framed around the thesis that freedom for white people was built on genocide and enslavement. Unfortunately, most courses didn't cover more contemporary history... there just doesn't seem like enough time in a single year.

I don't know how much it affected the other students' thinking about the US's actions now or systemic oppression, but at least they can't claim ignorance anymore. But such framing has to happen earlier.