• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested in this story after the 1st episode than I was after the first episode of the last story. Hopefully, we get some more black and white footage via flashbacks or something.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Sarah Paulson is in the black and white flashbacks, so I'm sure we will.

Lana Banana always wins.

Oct 27, 2017
Important question for ppl who are caught up:

Does the daughter kill the baby when it's born? I don't think I could handle watching that.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty meh about this story. Feels pretty amateur-ish with its themes. And a basic bug-eyed alien, really?

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Personally loving the 1950s/60s parts and thought present day was much better in the second episode.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Death Valley is dumb as shit.
I hate how the black and white portions are nothing but a who's who of famous faces and the constant jumping of years at a time back and forth seems like something only someone who really knows American history would be able to really follow.

The modern day part is dumb too, I'd probably be more engaged that these young, vapid, twunky gays want to start a family if they were a bit older and were struggling to start a family rather than 2 dude bros straight out of college and their decision to have this alien baby is dumb as fuck and makes no sense. The other 2 characters literally have no personality either.

Cbrun44

I'm having some good fun with this second half. And at 4 episodes it will be hard to wear out it's welcome.

I'm far from the best judge though. Ultimately I've enjoyed even the worst of American Horror Story (minus Stories as those were garbage).

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I hate how the black and white portions are nothing but a who's who of famous faces and the constant jumping of years at a time back and forth seems like something only someone who really knows American history would be able to really follow.

The modern day part is dumb too, I'd probably be more engaged that these young, vapid, twunky gays want to start a family if they were a bit older and were struggling to start a family rather than 2 dude bros straight out of college and their decision to have this alien baby is dumb as fuck and makes no sense. The other 2 characters literally have no personality either.
Exactly this. It's so bad

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Black and white stuff is easily my favorite AHS stuff since Asylum, I'm hooked on every second of it

I'm really enjoying it! The modern day stuff is fun too (octopus baby!), though I agree with Razmos that the two gay guys should probably not be twunks fresh out of college if they wanted us to really buy into the emotional core of their story. Maybe even have their scenes set, not in modern day, but in a time where gay adoption wasn't possible to really drive home their desperation.

Honestly not sure how they plan to wrap up the two story lines (past and present) in next week's finale. Kinda feel like they need at least two more episodes instead of one more but we'll see I guess. (Red Tide also needed like one more episode imo)

Random thoughts:

So Angelica Ross' character is like a failed attempt at a hybrid, not an official hybrid like I thought. Okay. In that context, I feel better about the lame alien design.

Sarah Paulson is quite good here, after coming across as kind of cartoony in Red Tide.

Kinda messed up what they did to all those alien babies ngl :/

I like how Death Valley is, itself, a double feature with the two separate storylines.

Is this going to tie at all into Asylum's alien storyline? 🤔

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah it got dumb pretty quickly. It also ending next week, it felt like the plot barely started.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Death Valley is pretty silly and won't add up to much (unless it's the prologue for next season) but it's also 1000 times better than Red Tide.

It feels like the episode amount should have been switched around. Red Tide was spinning its wheels and Death Valley has too much crammed in to 4 episodes.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this was a bad ending, can help but feel that these were originally two separate season and the pandemic fucked it up. Well, here's hoping for next season.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I should've expect another shitty ending, at least this one wasn't as bad as the last one.
Really? I found the ending to the last one bad and infuriating emotionally, but at least it felt like an ending. This one just stops like they're going to commercial break. Terrible.

Yeah this was a bad ending, can help but feel that these were originally two separate season and the pandemic fucked it up. Well, here's hoping for next season.
Yeah, it really feels that way between the "ending", the lizard people introduced in the last episode despite literally zero pay off, and considering how bare bones the modern day characters were.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoyed the finale. The past storyline did feel rushed, and certainly could have used another episode to bring things to a more satisfying conclusion, but the present day storyline was fine imo. Yes the characters were paper thin throughout, which was a problem, but the finale pretty much discarded them immediately so it's clear the writers didn't care about them either so whatever. They were just there to get et by the octopus baby 🤣

Random thoughts:

I also can't help but wonder if RT and DV were initially conceived as being standalone seasons but maybe they couldn't quite figure out how to flesh them out into full seasons so they just mashed everything they had into one and called it a day...?

That one girl who had her head replaced with a silver orb and turned into a baby machine 😮

I appreciated that both RT and DV had downer endings.

2 > 1 > 6 > 10 > 5 > 8 > 3 > 9 > 7 > 4

Asylum > Murder House > Roanoke > Death Valley > Hotel > Apocalypse > Coven > Red Tide > 1984 > Cult > Freakshow

Love the introduction of the lizard people for no reason.

That threw me too but then I was like "are those the aliens from Asylum 🤔"

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You know the final episode wasn't too bad and actually had me interested for most of it, but the ending was just eurgh. I assume they are setting up for a proper series.

Thinking about it afterwards, what I don't get is their process to create a hybrid. In this last episode they killed one girl who had an "almost perfect" baby and then when the other girl had her baby and it was perfect they went "okay she's the baby maker, cut off her head we only need the body"
....but then what was the point of 60 years of having the same people constantly having babies when this made it clear that once they have a baby it would always be perfect or not depending on the host?

If those people weren't producing perfect hybrids then they were never going to produce perfect hybrids so why did they keep them?

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Who were the two actors who played the guys who went to the moon? One of them looked really familiar to me and I don't know why. Was that the guy who was in Popular/Nip/Tuck?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
This season showed me something I wish I had never seen: Dwight Eisenhower walking in on Mamie Eisenhower having sex with an alien.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I know Ryan Murphy and Leslie Grossman are friends from way back but her prominence these last few seasons doing the same thing over and over. Oy! I've had and seen enough of it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Bit late to the party cos this season has only just started airing here in the UK.

Is this season worth sticking with? Cos that first episode was pretty rough. The way those vampires were jerking around looked ridiculous.

Oct 31, 2017
Bit late to the party cos this season has only just started airing here in the UK.

Is this season worth sticking with? Cos that first episode was pretty rough. The way those vampires were jerking around looked ridiculous.

I found the first half rather entertaining, but they did not stick the landing IMO.

The second half also started interesting and then they rushed everything in the finale with a whole bunch of unanswered questions.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017

If you didn't like the first episode then you're definitely not going to like what follows. The last five episodes of this season are arguably the worst the show has ever produced.

Nov 8, 2017
Just watched both halves.

My history with AHS is that I watched the first two season back in the day, then lost track. People told me that Asylum was sort of the peak, and I didn't even like Asylum that much, so I was like "yeah ok maybe I'll wait it out". Came back for S10 and it doesn't seem to have gotten better.

I remember S1 falling off a cliff fast after a banger first episode or two. S10 doesn't even seem to get that far - it's up and down from the beginning.

Some recurring problems are -

• Some of the recurring actors give strange performances, and I don't know if that's from them or the direction.
  • They keep showing things far too early both in episodes and in the season.
  • They keep showing things very clearly, and letting them linger, or not even hiding them.
  • You get to a point where characters sit down and calmly discuss things with whatever we're supposed to be scared of.
  • It's not scary enough to be good horror, or even decent horror, and it's not funny enough to be good horror-comedy.
  • Sometimes when characters talk about modern things, it kind of feels like it's written by an old or out of touch person (I haven't checked to confirm this)

It wouldn't be accurate to say there are no good ideas, but there are too few and they're too unrefined.

Specific things that stood out to me as notably bad or as being like half-finished thoughts the writers had:
  • Sarah Paulson's character in the vampire half. Unhinged homeless person ranting and raving giving an OTT performance, but not in a fun way.
  • The ending to the vampire half, which went on way too long in some bizarre coda that felt very stupid, not horrific, and not really fun.
  • The conspiracy stew in the alien half, which somehow saw Richard Nixon coming out as almost as heroic by the end of his lifetime???
  • The plotline about the woman being a luddite with her controlling teacher boyfriend - which seemed to almost be like it was going to be connected with the "aliens gave us all our tech" stuff but actually just never came up again.
  • The plotline about the 2nd group of aliens, which was shoved in close to the end, referenced once right near the end, but had basically no significance.
  • The bit where Mamie tries to do her thing near the very end, but in the least shocking turn of events ever gets betrayed. This bit was really just deeply bad in terms of craft.

I think I had a little more fun with the aliens part, because the first part felt drawn out and pointless. But the aliens half was still basically like Forest Gump x Xfiles. Which is not a good thing.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, they certainly can't do worse than last season.
Ready to be proven wrong

I'll watch the series but it feels like being a masochist these days.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping the title/theme/cast/premise a secret until right before launch was fun and mysterious when they did it for Roanoke but I don't get why they keep doing it. It completely kills the hype and speculation leading up to the new season.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so the next season is the real deal and its not just the double feature stuff?

Edit: I was thinking if the "stories" side stuff, I completely missed this season somehow because I thought it was part of the spinoff somehow, time to watch

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so the next season is the real deal and its not just the double feature stuff?

Edit: I was thinking if the "stories" side stuff, I completely missed this season somehow because I thought it was part of the spinoff somehow, time to watch

Right, there was:

S10 aka Double Feature (premiered last year)
S11 aka NYC (premieres next month - maybe? they're keeping that a secret too, which is stupid af)
and then American Horror Stories, which is an episodic anthology spinoff

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Right, there was:

S10 aka Double Feature (premiered last year)
S11 aka NYC (premieres next month - maybe? they're keeping that a secret too, which is stupid af)
and then American Horror Stories, which is an episodic anthology spinoff
Appreciate it, yeah very strange of me to have seen every season as it drops and miss this one because I thought it was part of stories lol