• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
why does everyone here seem to hate Freak Show? All the performances were awesome. I guess it was less straight up horror.

There is a lot I love about Freak Show, any time Dandy and his mom have a scene it is A+++++, but the season as a whole never really cohered into anything. I was originally going to say "It ran out of steam" but it kind of had a problem with gathering the steam in the first place.

I would rank the seasons:
  1. Asylum - The only season I would say is flat out great.
  2. Hotel - I love the vibe of this season even if the show can feel meandering at times.
  3. Roanoke - I found this season to be a mess but it was an interesting mess, never dull, and it has the greatest of lines: "I am the tree, and the lightning that strikes it."
  4. Coven - Has some great stuff but it also feels undercooked and full of wasted potential.
  5. Freak Show - Dandy is life, sadly the rest of the show never reaches his level of transcendent greatness.
  6. Murder House - Solid but feels twice as long as it should've been.
  7. Apocalypse - Outside of some nice intrigue in the first few episodes and the always game cast, this is dreadful.
  • Cult - Still not sure how I feel about this one.
  • 1984 - So bad I tapped out early.

Oct 25, 2017
why does everyone here seem to hate Freak Show? All the performances were awesome. I guess it was less straight up horror.

Besides Dandy, a severe lack of interesting and/or likable characters. And yeah, it was less 'horror' and just straight up crime story, IIRC.

(much like Cult, which is the basically tied for last place for me)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Freak Show has Lange's best acting after Asylum imo

That and Dandy and his mom and Patti Labelle are the only things I remember

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Does the show gets any better or I'm outta luck?

I watched the first three seasons and enjoyed them but I couldn't finish Freak Show and Hotel is looking fairly ridiculous.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I watched the first three seasons and enjoyed them but I couldn't finish Freak Show and Hotel is looking fairly ridiculous.
For you, no. You're about to hit a few poor seasons, and as you can see from the series rankings from posters here, it's consistently Asylum (2), Hotel (5) and Murder House (1) which are near the top, and you've done these. Though maybe you should give Hotel a longer shot if you've already started it. Unless you have a very strong affinity for 80's music and slasher films it's not worth doing 1984 either.

Oct 2, 2018
This, Apocalypse, cult + freakshow were the worst of AHS. Also not a fan of Coven.

This current season 1984 is garbage tier

hotel is actually not bad. I thought gaga and Denis Ohare made the show infinitely watchable.

Denis O'hare is sorely missed from AHS.

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
Dennis O'Hare was at DragonCon in 2018 and he said that Ryan Murphy doesn't call him anymore because he's not young and hot. They definitely had a falling out

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The series has been renewed for 3 more seasons

Sarah Paulson confirmed for season 10

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Aye that's great news about AHS, there's actually some really cool stuff coming to FX on Hulu, Devs especially.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Really late in getting back to this, but finally finished watching it. This was so much better than that smelly wet fart of a season that was Cult (which had been the only other one I had seen aside from 1984). Seriously, Cult was one of the absolute worst shows I've ever had the displeasure of seeing, and nearly put me off of this entire series.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Macaulay Culkin is joining the AHS universe for the first time.

Other Season 10 cast members include Kathy Bates, Leslie Grossman, Billie Lourd, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Adina Porter, Lily Rabe, Angelica Ross and Finn Wittrock.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught it on Hulu. Only season I finished and enjoyed. Loved all the 80s tropes and homages.

YaGaMi

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished it. My first season of AHS. Enjoyed it as I'm into 80's slasher movies. Posts on here point towards Seasons 1,2 and 5. Which other seasons would you recommend?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. My first season of AHS. Enjoyed it as I'm into 80's slasher movies. Posts on here point towards Seasons 1,2 and 5. Which other seasons would you recommend?
The only ones I didn't care for were 6 and 7. 4 is a bit weaker than the others but it had some great characters and moments too.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
What Horror sub genre is each season. Eg. This season was 80's slasher.
1: Ghost House
2: 50s mental asylum, serial killer, human experimentation
3: Witches vs. Voodoo
4: slasher/serial killer, prejudice against freaks at a carnival (the freaks themselves aren't a horror element so it feels weird listing them but they are an important part of the season)
5. Vampires, ghosts
6: reality show about a creepy house that turns out to be real ... or something, I only watched a few episodes but I know some people really liked it.
7: murderous cult
8: nuclear apocalypse, fight against the antichrist (direct sequel to 1 and 3)

Oct 28, 2017
I thought being set in the 80s would provide a neat backdrop to the normal Ryan Murphy nonsense but I was wrong. I dont like to use this word because it's used too much on this forum but this season was straight up garbage. It was a complete waste that went nowhere and ended with a comically absurd ending.

If Scooby Doo were rated PG13 it would probably look a lot like this show.

I keep thinking about Margaret and stud muffin rowing across the lake. The lake was so small they could have walked there faster. But then they wouldnt have a chance to do a burial at sea. Nobody gives a shit on this show anymore.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Season 10 was supposed to be "weather dependent" but now it might get scrapped or delayed until next year due to covid.

"A lot of what I was going to shoot was dependent on a very specific moment," series creator Ryan Murphy tells The Wrap. "It was a weather-dependent show. So now I don't know. I don't know what we're going to do. I don't know what I'm gonna do next with that show. I don't know if I'll accelerate another season or wait till next year to shoot this one."

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
They're making a spin-off called American Horror Stories, which will be in the vein of Black Mirror where every episode is self contained:

Ryan Murphy is expanding the American Horror Story universe to include a limited attention span-friendly spinoff series.

The uber producer announced early Monday on social media that he is moving forward with American Horror Stories, an offshoot of the FX anthology franchise that would consist of "one-hour contained episodes," per Murphy. The new series will also air on FX, an insider confirms.

tvline.com

American Horror Story Spinoff: Exec Producer Ryan Murphy Announces ‘One-Hour Contained’ Offshoot

A standalone-themed 'AHS' spinoff titled 'American Horror Stories' is in-the-works, Ryan Murphy confirms

Also seen on the screenshot of the Zoom session Murphy had with the cast, Dennis O'Hare! (and Jessica Lange!)

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I actually like that idea of self contained stories. I'll check it out for sure.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like that idea of self contained stories. I'll check it out for sure.

I think it could be really neat as well - I'm assuming we won't get anything too crazy or high concept for budgetary reasons, but I'm interested to see what they come up with.

I think this could be a cool way for the show to return to fan favorite characters without having to figure out how to (inelegantly) incorporate them into a regular season. It'll also hopefully curb the main show's tendency to go off on random tangents with side characters.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all in favor for bringing back anthologies in the vein of Twlight Zone (60's), Tales from the Crypt, and The Outer Limits.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Season 10 is called "Double Feature"

Teasing a first for the long-running horror season, Murphy's Instagram post adds that the latest plot will feature two different storylines. "One by sea," harkening back his previous clues of idyllic seasides, and "one by the sand."

per Deadline

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I made an OT for the new spinoff, which premieres on July 15

www.resetera.com

American Horror Stories - A new *episodic* horror anthology series - Thursdays on Hulu

They've gone and made a spinoff of 'American Horror Story' - it's called 'American Horror Stories' (with an "ies" instead of a "y"). It premieres on Thursday, July 15 on Hulu. The season will consist of 16 hour long episodes. Trailer Cast Aaron Tveit Gavin Creel Kaia Gerber Sierra McCormick...

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

American Horror Story - Double Feature - Wednesdays on FX

Season 10 of American Horror Story, subtitled 'Double Feature', will premiere on Wednesday, August 25 at 10/9c on FX. The season will consist of two separate storylines - the first, titled 'Red Tide', centers on the sea and will consist of 6 episodes. The second, titled 'Death Valley', centers...