• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And no, Afghanistan invading the US wouldn't be justified.

During the war in Afghanistan (2001–present), over 31,000 civilian deaths due to war-related violence have been documented;[1][2] 29,900 civilians have been wounded.[2] Over 111,000 Afghans, including civilians, soldiers and militants, are estimated to have been killed in the conflict.[1] The Cost of War project estimated that the number who have died through indirect causes related to the war may be as high as 360,000 additional people

In the liberal mind, what the everloving fuck does the US need to do to be in the wrong?

And Iraq 'could make a case'. Maybe. Jesus Christ.

The US could literally start nuking countries randomly tomorrow and most Americans would find a way to rationalize it.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse be for butting in, but all those things happened in actual reality in Afghanistan. So what's the upside of the Afghanistan war?
There isn't an upside to war.

Ever. I said the response to 9/11 was seemingly justified. The occupation and after were a bungled mess much like Iraq.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017

Ever. I said the response to 9/11 was seemingly justified. The occupation and after were a bungled mess much like Iraq.

Ok so there's no upside and it was waged by the most morally corrupt Republicans imaginable at the time. How can that be justified under any reasonable standard of justification?

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the liberal mind, what the everloving fuck does the US need to do to be in the wrong?

And Iraq 'could make a case'. Maybe. Jesus Christ.

The US could literally start nuking countries randomly tomorrow and most Americans would find a way to rationalize it.
Uh...I said Iraq could make a case bud.

Does everything anyone ever say positive or even slightly supportive of America mean Imperials fool to you? Get some perspective my dude.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so there's no upside and it was waged by the most morally corrupt Republicans imaginable at the time. How can that be justified under any reasonable standard of justification?
We didn't know this part at the time.

Context and timing make all the difference. If you would have told me we'd be still there 20 years later fighting for seemingly nothing even though Bin ladin is dead and we at one point had the country somewhat stabilized and could have left I wouldn't have supported the initial war.

My counterpoint is Clinton and Yugoslavia.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the U.S. expected to do after 9/11? Extradite OBL from Afghanistan? Unfortunately the U.S. wasn't going to be subtle in its response. Iraq was going to happen one way or the other and 9/11 was the perfect excuse for it. Read up on the Project for the New American Century and you'll see it was a done deal once Bush was given the Presidency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century
It's incredible how many people don't know about this. Dubya winning the GOP nom and the Presidency was a worst case scenario because of his ties to all the bush I clowns angry HW was a smarter man than they were.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

The taliban even offered to give OBL to a third party for a fair trial but your president rejected it because your country was scream ing for blood. How does that justify a invasion in which more than 20 times the casualties of 9/11 happened?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...I said Iraq could make a case bud.

Does everything anyone ever say positive or even slightly supportive of America mean Imperials fool to you? Get some perspective my dude.

The country itself was not responsible for 9/11. Its people even less. It was all done under false info. The motives were profit and power grabbing, not justice. It was done under the umbrella of the War in Terror, more bullshit. The results were catastrophic to the country and its people. It solved absolutely nothing. It created more problems.

After all this you keep repeating it was justified.

I'm not the one who needs perspective.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The review of reports has concluded, so please continue on with the discussion.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Are 3 month bans the new norm? I noticed a lot of foreign (i.e not american) posters that i discuss middle eastern issues are almost all banned.

Oct 25, 2017
There was no justification for the Iraq war, "seemingly" or otherwise.
This whole thing's a mess and I'm not surprised to see America playing the Iran card.
All American presence must leave Iraq.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): continuous modwhining and disruptive behavior
Mainstream political punditry is a cancer. People stop thinking for themselves and just believe what the think tank backed man on the telly tells them.

Here's what i think the American government and military corporate apparatus should do in every country they are militarily involved in. Fuck off. Take your drones, take your private contractors, take your expensive toys, take your military. And fuck. Off.

Then you can start claiming moral superiority. Until then, you're murderers. And thieves. And vultures. Plain and simple. No amount of the usual hawkish media and punditry justifying the US presence in places they have no fucking business being in will convince anyone with at least two brain cells and no vested interests otherwise.

Oh and is Era gonna keep banning brown people for not falling in line with American foreign policy guidelines while liberal big brains keep whitesplaining why drones killing innocents are actually a good thing with no repercussion? I thought the shitshow that was the recent trans awareness week might had opened some eyes regarding the imbalance of voices and representation at the leadership levels, but it seems not. If you want this to be a site where no opinions other than the rich white American consensus ones are allowed, by all means, it's your prerrogative. Just be honest about it.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Oh and is Era gonna keep banning brown people for not falling in line with American foreign policy guidelines while liberal big brains keep whitesplaining why drones killing innocents are actually a good thing with no repercussion?

Who has been banned for being brown and not falling in lockstep with US foreign policy? Name them instead of spreading FUD.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
??? Osama Bin Laden was literally running Al Qaeda from Afghanistan, the US invasion had everything to do with 9/11. The continuing war is a consequence of that invasion.

Iraq had been on Bush's agenda from way before 9/11, and the overarching "War on Terror" just provided a useful framing.
The US would have not invaded Afghanistan without 9/11, that's for sure, but the US did very little fighting against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, it is mostly fighting the Taliban. Which I know, Bad Muslim People, but they didn't attack the US.
Also note how the US mission there really didn't change at all after Bin Laden got killed.

BTW, I don't think that was a conspiracy or anything, I think the US was rightfully freaked out after 9/11 and was looking to do something, anything. But they didn't have any plan, or even basic understanding of the region, and it ended up in a long, bloody and pointless conflict that has very little to do with 9/11 or preventing further terror attacks against the US.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Rocket fire on/near Baghdad Airport

Al Jazeera claims that according to Iraqi security sources that the target was a join US and counter-terrorism forces south of the airport

Urgent | Iraqi security sources: missiles landed near a joint position of Us and counter-terrorism forces south of the airport

At least 1 civilian killed as a vehicle just outside the airport was hit.

Update: also reports that it was a PMF member was killed

A member of Hashd Al-Shaabi PMF known as Mohamad Reza who was in charge of the group's public affairs was killed as a result of a mortar attack in Baghdad. He was fluent in Persian & apparently had a close relationship with Qassem Soleimani

Last edited:

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
The US would have not invaded Afghanistan without 9/11, that's for sure, but the US did very little fighting against Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, it is mostly fighting the Taliban. Which I know, Bad Muslim People, but they didn't attack the US.
Also note how the US mission there really didn't change at all after Bin Laden got killed.

Well, the US (and allies) very specifically targeted Al Qaeda bases, hence the assault on Tora Bora and Operation Anaconda. The Taliban wasn't some neutral actor, it was providing material support to terrorist groups and vice-versa. The Taliban deliberately gave Al Qaeda and other groups safe haven to train and plan attacks, and Al Qaeda ran training camps for Taliban fighters. Taking out Al Qaeda but leaving the conditions in which it successfully operated (i.e., under a supportive Taliban regime), was never really a great option.

The larger problem is that there were never any good options in Afghanistan. It's not like an endless occupation is much better.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the US (and allies) very specifically targeted Al Qaeda bases, hence the assault on Tora Bora and Operation Anaconda. The Taliban wasn't some neutral actor, it was providing material support to terrorist groups and vice-versa. The Taliban deliberately gave Al Qaeda and other groups safe haven to train and plan attacks, and Al Qaeda ran training camps for Taliban fighters. Taking out Al Qaeda but leaving the conditions in which it successfully operated (i.e., under a supportive Taliban regime), was never really a great option.

The larger problem is that there were never any good options in Afghanistan. It's not like an endless occupation is much better.
They did exactly that with pakistan.

Last edited:

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Here's what i think the American government and military corporate apparatus should do in every country they are militarily involved in. Fuck off. Take your drones, take your private contractors, take your expensive toys, take your military. And fuck. Off.

Then you can start claiming moral superiority. Until then, you're murderers. And thieves. And vultures. Plain and simple. No amount of the usual hawkish media and punditry justifying the US presence in places they have no fucking business being in will convince anyone with at least two brain cells and no vested interests otherwise.

Do you think Obama should not have intervened in Iraq in 2014 and just let the chips fall where they will?

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So reports on Twitter are saying Soleimani, head of IRGC, has been assassinated by a US drone strike along with 6 other high ranking officers. This is a huge escalation by the US.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
any links? I'm highly skeptical the US would do that, this would be an enormous escalation

So reports on Twitter are saying Soleimani, head of IRGC, has been assassinated by a US drone strike along with 6 other high ranking officers. This is a huge escalation by the US.
If true I think that's basically an open declaration of war against Iran, there's no fucking way Iran would let that slide in a million years.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Timely

EEv-JjHXkAEv7ox.png

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's basically war. Now sources close to Iran (maiadin tv) are also confirming that Soleimani has been killed.
Yup, I'm just waiting for an official press release from Iran's government or the US on what happened today, who was targeted and what their status is because in the worst case scenario we've just witnessed the start of a war between Iran and the US with Iraq as playground.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The battle of Tora Bora is probably the most meaningful engagement the US had with Al Qaeda in that war, but it was still pretty small (a few hundred combatants on both sides) and also was 18 years ago.
The US has been mostly fighting the Taliban and propping up their shitty corrupt puppet regime, which I don't think have a lot to do with 9/11 and I really don't think it made America safer.

That's really really bad if true.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Welp, I didn't plan on sleeping tonight anyway. My hands are literally shaking. US has basically assassinated no.2 Iranian official. There's no way this doesn't end in Iran's annhilation. Gonna go and by as much water and food as I can first thing tomorrow.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's an apparent photo of his blown off arm/hand wearing a red jeweled ring, he is photographed with that ring many times. Not sure how legit the photo is.