• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Every country the US touches turns to shit.

It's almost like it's by design.

Calling yourself the World Police makes perfect sense when you look at the police in America. Killing non whites and stealing their shit is on brand.
yep, and when i brought it up the other day I got call out as an isolationist lol, I'm all for global cooperation not going around putting bases every where and meddle other people's business

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Iraq bombed a US militia (yes I know I'm stretching beyond belief in equating the two vastly different meanings here) Americans wouldn't even have time to get infront of an American embassy before the US launched a counterstrike.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He looked to be just fine with Iran's occupations.
Just because the US doesn't want them there it doesn't make them an occupying force.

yep, and when i brought it up the other day I got call out as an isolationist lol, I'm all for global cooperation not going around putting bases every where and meddle other people's business
It's crazy to me that people legit can't imagine a way to engage countries that does not involve regime change.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
~750 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division will be deployed to the region immediately, more forces prepared to deploy over the next several days

At the direction of the Commander in Chief, I have authorized the deployment of an infantry battalion from the Immediate Response Force (IRF) of the 82nd Airborne Division to the CENTCOM area of operations in response to recent events in Iraq. Approximately 750 soldiers will deploy to the region immediately & additional forces from the IRF are prepared to deploy over the next several days. This deployment is an appropriate and precautionary action taken in response to increased threat levels against U.S. personnel and facilities, such as we witnessed in Baghdad today. The United States will protect our people and interests anywhere they are found around the world.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Two Iraqis get in an argument about Iraq and a foreigner, perhaps even an American, bans one of them without fully understanding what they were talking about.

I know I know, forum rules have to be followed, but it's kinda ironic.

Only opinions approved by American liberals are tolerated.

While I don't necessarily agree with him it's a shame posts that offer a non american point of view are seen as inflammatory.

Getting banned for championing civilian deaths and calling other members "traitors" and "below ISIS" isn't because he offered an alternative view or because he was foreign.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Getting banned for championing civilian deaths and calling other members "traitors" and "below ISIS" isn't because he offered an alternative view or because he was foreign.
I am personally not gonna tone police the way Iraqis talk about what the US did to them.
But that's me.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ they're sending the airborne? Man I was a contractor there as recently as May of this year and just knew that the shit was getting ready to hit the fan again. So glad I got out of there. US foreign policy is a complete shit show.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its almost like when someone from a minority community is effected by the actual topic at hand theyre not allowed to speak strongly about it if it flies in the face of American imperialism, as noted by the way so many brazenly shrug off drone strikes or the retaliation of death 25 times that of the incident in question.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Two Iraqis get in an argument about Iraq and a foreigner, perhaps even an American, bans one of them without fully understanding what they were talking about.

I know I know, forum rules have to be followed, but it's kinda ironic.
Yeah, because "You are a traitor and you will get what you deserve" and "Killing unarmed civilians is good" are acceptable stances. Fuck off.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me that even without America the middle east's political atmosphere is a giant mess.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I am personally not gonna tone police the way Iraqis talk about what the US did to them.
But that's me.
Same here. If you meet an Iraqi chances are there's someone they know who died in the wars, insurgency, ISIS etc. All thanks to America.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
If you wanna call the Shia crowds that were against cutting off their roads by people coming in from Tripoli and Ashrafieh Hezbollah, then the crowds in Jal el Dib were Lebanese Forces and Phalanges, and the guy who was shot dead in the head, was an active member of the PSP, and right now the ones protesting are the pro Harriri bunch because he wasn't nominated.

This is typical western misdirection, anyone against the movement we support has to be an Iranian backed militiaman.

Supplementing his own sect? When Jumblat shut down all the gas stations a few weeks ago, only Hezbollah opened their stations to all Lebanese not just Shia, the supermarkets in Dahiye with cheap products? Anyone can buy. If you're talking about salaries, well tough luck I mean if you want a better paying job go sign up with the Hezb, they don't owe anyone anything, the government's corruption is largely due to the inept economic policies of the American backed Harriri movement since 1991 and the policies of the head of the central bank, I don't see how the heck you're going to pin this on the Hezb.

The "popular movement" already failed, it specifically called the poorest Lebanese, the Shia from Khandak and other places, savages, uneducated, thugs, etc... It drove away the very people that set downtown on fire in the first two days, not the sushi eating protesters in Jal el Dib. A revolution without the poor is going to inevitably fail, it's now a revolution of the right wing Bourgeois against the elite for holding their money in the banks, (There are still some left wing elements protesting against the banks, but those are the only ones I respect).

Someone has been watching way too much Manar(Fox News) Sorry, I can't do anything for you. The Shia from Khandak are our brothers in suffering, but they have been mobilized by political forces. The night before the attack on the ring the Jordanian secret services had been warning their people to get out. This is a calculated political move, not the alienation of a sect. My own shia'a friends have said the same. If you think its just the sushi eating bourgeois who are protesting, you are in a for some ugly truths in 2020. God be with us all.

edit: I just realized that you're not even considered Lebanese because of the way Lebanese women can't pass on their citizenship. You're a victim of sectarianism and you still prop up this shitty system. What is wrong with you?

Last edited:

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, because "You are a traitor and you will get what you deserve" and "Killing unarmed civilians is good" are acceptable stances. Fuck off.

Kinda fast to "fuck off" level of angry, aren't you?

The point is that Iraqi people clearly have baggage that way exceeds regular message board kerfuffles. And I'm not going to pretend I really understand the situation where such outbursts come from.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The point is that Iraqi people clearly have baggage that way exceeds regular message board kerfuffles. And I'm not going to pretend I really understand the situation where such outbursts come from.
At the same time, they too can fall victim to fox news levels of disinformation, "patriotism" and well hatred.

Not accusing anyone here of that, just that we should all be more careful how we chose our words.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time, they too can fall victim to fox news levels of disinformation, "patriotism" and well hatred.

Not accusing anyone here of that, just that we should all be more careful how we chose our words.

I empathize a lot with the Iraqis right now. A weakened state is nothing more than a proxy for regional forces to take advantage of. And at the end, what people really want is their sovereignty. For those who've been in a proxy state all their life, it's difficult to break free of that stockholm syndrome where one must beholden to outside political forces.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017

Indeed good advice. And hitting on a key point: word choice is not necessarily connected to the validity of one's grievances.

Oct 25, 2017
Its almost like when someone from a minority community is effected by the actual topic at hand theyre not allowed to speak strongly about it if it flies in the face of American imperialism, as noted by the way so many brazenly shrug off drone strikes or the retaliation of death 25 times that of the incident in question.

Imagine if we started banning black people for saying fuck the police or liberals for being snide or even gloating when some trump voter loses their healthcare.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Khamenei quoted Trump's tweet (is this the first time?) and some part of translation from Persian to English isn't right in my opinion.

rrev_sadsd.jpg

In the Persian tweet, he says: شما غلط میکنید
That's much more offensive than "You can't do anything".
I don't know the exact translation of that sentence, but maybe something like: "You can't do a damn thing" or "You don't dare to do that" with a really aggressive tone.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if we started banning black people for saying fuck the police or liberals for being snide or even gloating when some trump voter loses their healthcare.

The poster who made those statements doesn't belong to a minority group, he was responding to a Iraqi Kurd. Kurds who are persecuted and the scapegoats of basically everyone.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
The poster who made those statements doesn't belong to a minority group, he was responding to a Iraqi Kurd. Kurds who are persecuted and the scapegoats of basically everyone.

In the context of this forum they're both 100% minorities. This place is overwhelmingly American in narrative, and it is important to realize that said narrative is enforced. Even if it is more progressive than most places.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
In the context of this forum they're both 100% minorities. This place is overwhelmingly American in narrative, and it is important to realize that said narrative is enforced. Even if it is more progressive than most places.

In the context of the conversation between two Iraqis, where one of them is calling the other a traitor and worse than ISIS, i disagree.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'd place those at same level as "worse than people who skinned people alive".

Not sure an Iraqi should be expected to place a military contractor on the same level as a regular old civilian given the crimes that contractors have committed in Iraq and elsewhere in the Middle East so I'm gonna give them a pass on not giving any fucks about the guy that died.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
You realize the bombing was in response to the recent attack that killed 1 American and injured a few more in Iraq right?

In history it has been proven time and time again that bombing and killing in retaliation doesn't do fuck all. It just leads to more pointless deaths and in some cases leads to creation of groups such as ISIS that then go on to sack historical monuments and spread terror across not only their local region but also the world.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (6 months): minimizing the atrocities of an extremist terrorist organisation
That being said...I wouldn't call someone "worse than ISIS".

They were skinning people alive.
I don't know where you got that from. I have not heard of any instances where ISIS were flaying people or if it were their general policy. They were brutal and ruthless but they generally followed some medieval principles of war.

There are also some specific examples in US military and private contractors who you can Def say were "worse than ISIS". The raping, and the war criminal types.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sending an extra 750 Marines to guard the embassy (and I'm assuming the other consulates in the country) isn't really an outlandish thing to do given the tensions in the country right now.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
As an Iranian I pray to fuck that Iraqis manage to get rid of the cancerous Iranian and Saudi influences. Nothing good ever comes out of IRGC. They're a bunch of bloodthirsty murderers, killing more than 1500 Iranians in the recent protests showed their true face.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread reminds me that even without America the middle east's political atmosphere is a giant mess.
The US (and the UK) has been arming the Kurds and urging them to fight for America's causes in the region base on eternally broken promises of support for over a century now.
I can't tell how things would have been had the US (and the UK) didn't fuck so much with Iraq for so long, but the fights you're seeing in this thread can all be traced back to American and European interventions.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019

When randos try to paint bans due to someone cheering on civilian deaths being in poor taste because a moderator might be American? Uh, yeaaah. No shit?
Understand this: A civilian was killed, doesn't matter if he's American or Iraqi, saying his death is a good thing is supremely poor taste and basically advocating terrorism/murder. Which I think it sort of against the forum rules, don't you agree?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

I often wonder how Iraq would have turned out if there had been no resistance to the American occupation. It sounds wild from a Western perspective, but the Middle East could benefit from more nationalism.

People seem to care less about the nation of Iraq, and more about their specific Islamic sects/tribes. It's like everyone over there has a secondary allegiance to something.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
When randos try to paint bans due to someone cheering on civilian deaths being in poor taste because a moderator might be American? Uh, yeaaah. No shit?
Understand this: A civilian was killed, doesn't matter if he's American or Iraqi, saying his death is a good thing is supremely poor taste and basically advocating terrorism/murder. Which I think it sort of against the forum rules, don't you agree?

Who gives a shit about the ban itself, or the obviousness that is the need to follow forum rules? It's the hidden (to outsiders) context and the ironical juxtaposition that was interesting. But yeah, not really interested in debating with you, take it or leave it.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We bombed the hell out of Iraq for the better part of 20 years. When the people begin to rise up suddenly everyone gets the shocked Pikachu face.

And the CIA crowd, the ones who brought us black sites, waterboarding, and countless acts of brutality across the middle east and latin america say "bu bu bu it's all IRAN'S FAULT" as if their word carried an ounce of credibility.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I often wonder how Iraq would have turned out if there had been no resistance to the American occupation. It sounds wild from a Western perspective, but the Middle East could benefit from more nationalism.

People seem to care less about the nation of Iraq, and more about their specific Islamic sects/tribes. It's like everyone over there has a secondary allegiance to something.
I often wonder how Iraq would have turned out if the US haven't fucked with them so much.
Also, while the US haven't created those sectarian problems (the was mostly the Brits), it has been fomenting them and have been arming and urging groups to fight there for decades.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I don't know where you got that from. I have not heard of any instances where ISIS were flaying people or if it were their general policy. They were brutal and ruthless but they generally followed some medieval principles of war.

There are also some specific examples in US military and private contractors who you can Def say were "worse than ISIS". The raping, and the war criminal types.

I'm very sorry to tell you ISIS had enslavement, rape, and war crimes on their books and considered it policy. Not sure about flaying, they did propaganda videos of burning their captives, civilian and military alive. The crimes done to the Yazidi minority are probably the best known example of mass rape and enslavement.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Who gives a shit about the ban itself, or the obviousness that is the need to follow forum rules? It's the hidden (to outsiders) context and the ironical juxtaposition that was interesting. But yeah, not really interested in debating with you, take it or leave it.
Muad'Dib advocated killing innocents. I don't give one damn about what "Outsiders" think of his ban. He was scum. And people defending him? Yeah, no. There are better hills to fight against the Evil Moderator Overlords on.