• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So years of investigation into Mike Pompeo for this?

Just kidding. GOP won't do shit.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Why is attacked in quotations? Do you not know what attacked means?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So we backed Saddam Hussein to prevent Iranian control then later remove Saddam Hussein and now Iraq is generally under Iranian control?

giphy.gif

Those idiots didn't even know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites. A Shiite majority country that has been ruled for decades under a brutal Sunni dictatorship, will naturally get cozy with the only other Shiite majority state (Bahrain is another Shiite majority state but it's under a Sunni monarchy) that was also Shiite ruled. A child could have told them what was going to happen.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Half Iraqi half Lebanese here, these "militias" are the same units that were formed by a Fatwa from Ayatollah Sistani to combat ISIS while they were rampaging through Iraq and the Iraqi army faltered. They sacrificed tens of thousands to liberate Iraq from ISIS while the so called progressives in Baghdad were too busy with their Arguileh.

The American forces are an occupation force, pure and simple, they're still here even after ten years have passed since it was agreed they would leave, an act of resistance against them is justified.

These "militias" are also legally part of the Iraqi army, the US has violated Iraqi sovereignty and attacked a branch of the iraqi army and they're calling for that same army to protect the embassy.

I find any Iraqi who justifies these American actions to be a traitor
Didn't ISIS pop up in a major way the second Obama tried to pull American Troops out of Iraq. I agree that the U.S. violated Iraqi sovereignty, but I see no clean way for the U.S. to simply leave Iraq even is everyone agreed we need to.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't ISIS pop up in a major way the second Obama tried to pull American Troops out of Iraq. I agree that the U.S. violated Iraqi sovereignty, but I see no clean way for the U.S. to simply leave Iraq even is everyone agreed we need to.
The origins of ISIS date back as far as 2004 when it was part of AQ fighting the US occupation.

They took advantage of the power vacuum the US left when they destroyed everything connected to saddam.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The origins of ISIS date back as far as 2004 when it was part of AQ fighting the US occupation.

They took advantage of the power vacuum the US left when they destroyed everything connected to saddam.
yeah, I had to actually read up on some of the stuff that happened. It seemed like the perfect storm of US intervention, Sectarian Violence between Shia and Sunni, and the government failing its people that led to their rise.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is the effect of decades of republican-induced shittery.
When you open Pandora's box, be prepared for 50 years of this kind of shit.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
How do you / social circle view Russia compared to the USA? Honest curiosity.

Both the US and Russia are Imperialist powers with selfish reasons to intervene. But in politics and real life you have to be a realist, if the fanatic Sunni forces who pose an existential threat to us are backed by the US and their regional allies then I don't mind having Russia, another Imperialist power to support us against them, their reasons for doing so don't concern me much as long as we're not getting massacred.

And as an Arab Shia, I identify more with Iran than any other Arab country, in a region that is divided between Iranian, Saudi and Qatari influence, I'd take Iranian leadership over the Saudis or Qatari, which again is an existential threat to us and has supported hardline groups against us.

ISIS grew out of AQ in Iraq, it was the result of Bush's failed policies in Iraq, government corruption and Shia retaliation against decade of Sunni brutal oppression. The Iraqi army turned out to be a paper tiger with many officers only on the payroll but not showing up for service at all. It took Iran and the PMU's to turn the tide against ISIS while Obama was delaying any aide to Iraq and demanding Nouri al Maliki to step down while ISIS was massacring left and right.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Half Iraqi half Lebanese here, these "militias" are the same units that were formed by a Fatwa from Ayatollah Sistani to combat ISIS while they were rampaging through Iraq and the Iraqi army faltered. They sacrificed tens of thousands to liberate Iraq from ISIS while the so called progressives in Baghdad were too busy with their Arguileh.

The American forces are an occupation force, pure and simple, they're still here even after ten years have passed since it was agreed they would leave, an act of resistance against them is justified.

These "militias" are also legally part of the Iraqi army, the US has violated Iraqi sovereignty and attacked a branch of the iraqi army and they're calling for that same army to protect the embassy.

I find any Iraqi who justifies these American actions to be a traitor
It's crazy how bombing of Iraq is played in US media like a defensive move against Iran.
Why the fuck is there an American embassy in Iraq?
Why wouldn't they?
Diplomacy is important, also, there are Americans in Iraq and they could use those services.
Surprised at how little attention this is getting. Seems like it could turn bad real bad.
US media only pay attention to those things when Americans die, and the US figured out how to kill brown people with very few American casualties.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those idiots didn't even know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites. A Shiite majority country that has been ruled for decades under a brutal Sunni dictatorship, will naturally get cozy with the only other Shiite majority state (Bahrain is another Shiite majority state but it's under a Sunni monarchy) that was also Shiite ruled. A child could have told them what was going to happen.
I remember watching Bill Kirstol on TV in the lead-up to the Iraq war saying that the Sunni Shia divide is actually not a big deal and it's just overhyped by the liberal media.
That's the moment when I realized that the people who run the US foreign policy really have no fucking what's they're talking about.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Iran has standing armies in at least 4 Arab states. Why aren't they considered an occupying force?

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
No objectives is basically the whole point because it creates an endless funnel of money into the military complex without having a real war?
Right on. Let's not forgot the Afghanistan papers from a few weeks ago. The point is that there's no point. Just a ton of money for contractors and some dead brown people that (apparently) don't really count to the policy idiots.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
It's crazy how bombing of Iraq is played in US media like a defensive move against Iran.

Their bias also shows when they portray those protesting around the embassy as militiamen, as if the general Iraqi population have their hearts pounding for the American occupation to stay.

The Iraqi parliament is probably going to vote out the American forces, but it remains to be seen how the government which its prime ministers has resigned would enforce such a vote.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Same reason the US is not considered occupying force in Australia - because they're not there against the wishes of the government.

Tell that to the Iraqi, Syrian and Lebanese protesters who died at their hands. The government might want them there but the people are something else.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just want to clarify these protesters aren't the same as the ones that have been going against the government for over 2 months now, they are a bunch of militia under the order of a bunch of criminals.

You realize the bombing was in response to the recent attack that killed 1 American and injured a few more in Iraq right?
They kill 1 person and injure others

So we kill 25 and injure others in response

Wow what a great position.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Excessive Hostility and Inflammatory Rhetoric over Multiple Posts
Tell that to the Iraqi, Syrian and Lebanese protesters who died at their hands. The government might want them there but the people are something else.

Which Lebanese and Syrian protesters? As someone living in Lebanon I'm curious.

They're all made from the people of those countries, The Iraqi PMU's are Iraqi people pure and simple, same for the Syrian and Lebanese backed groups.

They kill 1 person and injury others

So we kill 25 and injure others in response

Wow what a great position.

I would also note, I have no problem whatsoever with that contractor being killed, he is part of an occupying force, he is a viable target.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their bias also shows when they portray those protesting around the embassy as militiamen, as if the general Iraqi population have their hearts pounding for the American occupation to stay.

The Iraqi parliament is probably going to vote out the American forces, but it remains to be seen how the government which its prime ministers has resigned would enforce such a vote.
I also love how every person the US kills in Iraq (or Syria for that matters) is "Iran backed".
Israel has been playing that game in Lebanon for decades.
People joke that IDF bombs are super special because they turn 7 year old kids into Iranian agents.

If you think the US should remain in Iraq that's one thing, but I don't think you should pretend that they want you there.
Also, let's not act like the US give a shit about any of that, if the US would have only bombed countries that wanted to be bombed you would have bombed way waaaaaaaaaaaay less countries. Probably none.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i expect an equal amount of outrage per benghazi because embassies being attacked in dangerous parts is completely unacceptable

from pompeo to trump GOP congress with throughly comb through who, where and when

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That's because they were militiamen, I'm also pretty sure the Iraqi people would take American government over our current and Iran's deep influence any day.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
That's because they were militiamen, I'm also pretty sure the Iraqi people would take American government over our current and Iran's deep influence any day.

They're not, the PMU's are part of the Iraqi army, regardless of how the Americans feel about it, that alone makes them government soldiers. Calling them militiamen is an attempt to discredit them as legitimate protestors, which is ridiculous considering the Sadr backed protestors were never called militiamen even tho they were responsible for looting, killing and lynching a 16 year old boy, that' what I call double standards.

And no, I won't ever choose a murderous government that propped Saddam, armed him, betrayed us in 1991, sanctioned us killing over 500,000, then invading and occupying over several years resulting in even more misery. I mean that's typical Baathist Iraqi speak, the same people who look at Saddam's regime with rose tinted nostalgia glasses, but I dismiss those as idiots.

So you're saying the US will be greeted as liberators?
I think we tested that theory in Iraq already.

Even then we Iraqis didn't greet the Americans, from the start there was armed resistance, either from the Mehdi army led by Sadr to the Iranian backed forces. Ironically the only people who greeted the Americans are the same corrupt officials that the Americans are condemning, but this is typical American behavior, they prop up the corrupt and then turn on them when they become a liability, like they did with Hossni Mubarak, Reza Pahlavi, Saddam Hussein.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you're saying the US will be greeted as liberators?
I think we tested that theory in Iraq already.
16 years these people have been ruling us and Iraq have been going downhill every year, people are sick of it and being controlled by Iran.

They're not, the PMU's are part of the Iraqi army, regardless of how the Americans feel about it, that alone makes them government soldiers. Calling them militiamen is an attempt to discredit them as legitimate protestors, which is ridiculous considering the Sadr backed protestors were never called militiamen even tho they were responsible for looting, killing and lynching a 16 year old boy, that' what I call double standards.
I've already talked about this in my previous posts, hint something to do with the leaders.

And no, I won't ever choose a murderous government that propped Saddam, armed him, betrayed us in 1991, sanctioned us killing over 500,000, then invading and occupying over several years resulting in even more misery. I mean that's typical Baathist Iraqi speak, the same people who look at Saddam's regime with rose tinted nostalgia glasses, but I dismiss those as idiots.
You're right, you won't choose, you yourself said that you live in Lebanon so you're not in the best position to do it, Iraqi people have had enough and just want a country that that works for their benefit and not for others.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even then we Iraqis didn't greet the Americans, from the start there was armed resistance, either from the Mehdi army led by Sadr to the Iranian backed forces. Ironically the only people who greeted the Americans are the same corrupt officials that the Americans are condemning, but this is typical American behavior, they prop up the corrupt and then turn on them when they become a liability, like they did with Hossni Mubarak, Reza Pahlavi, Saddam Hussein.
It's always like this, but Americans always persuade themselves that people actually want to be bombed or sanctioned, because the US are the Good Guys™.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
16 years these people have been ruling us and Iraq have been going downhill every year, people are sick of it and being controlled by Iran.
Who are you to decide that?
And what are you basing those assertions on?
For real, they have elections there, I know the US don't always get the results they want, but it's their country and their government and they're telling the US that they are extremely unhappy with those attacks and see them as an assault on their sovereignty.

You can decide you don't give a fuck, which is what the US usually does, but don't pretend that you're doing it because the Iraqi people want you to.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Both the US and Russia are Imperialist powers with selfish reasons to intervene. But in politics and real life you have to be a realist, if the fanatic Sunni forces who pose an existential threat to us are backed by the US and their regional allies then I don't mind having Russia, another Imperialist power to support us against them, their reasons for doing so don't concern me much as long as we're not getting massacred.

And as an Arab Shia, I identify more with Iran than any other Arab country, in a region that is divided between Iranian, Saudi and Qatari influence, I'd take Iranian leadership over the Saudis or Qatari, which again is an existential threat to us and has supported hardline groups against us.

Thanks for the response.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't Hillary and Obama have more troops there?

Also I heard there was a stand down order given. Anyone know about this?

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Funny, most of those years it was the Americans actually running the show with Paul Bremer calling the shots, yet you want those Americans that created that corruption back?
Yeah and funny how in every election the winners are Sadrists and Pro Iranian parties.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Which Lebanese and Syrian protesters? As someone living in Lebanon I'm curious.

They're all made from the people of those countries, The Iraqi PMU's are Iraqi people pure and simple, same for the Syrian and Lebanese backed groups.

I would also note, I have no problem whatsoever with that contractor being killed, he is part of an occupying force, he is a viable target.

The tens of thousands of Syrians killed by Hizbullah and Iran in the civil war there?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty fucking gross. He was a civilian.
We don't know what they did exactly, but they were a defense contractor, so they're probably closer to military than civilian in function.
Either way, I almost never root for people dying, and I'm certainly not doing it here.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Funny, most of those years it was the Americans actually running the show with Paul Bremer calling the shots, yet you want those Americans that created that corruption back?
Yeah and funny how in every election the winners are Sadrists and Pro Iranian parties.
I don't think elections in a country corrupted to the root mean much, during Saddam's rule he was winning with 99% of the votes, do you think that was an indication of the people's will? but even if you consider them legit then the people's perception and mindset have changed for the better this year and no longer welcome Iran and their supporters.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
The tens of thousands of Syrians killed by Hizbullah and Iran in the civil war there?

You said Lebanese and Syrian protesters, Hezbollah and Iranian backed forces went into direct confrantion with Nusra Front, Jaysh al Islam, ISIS, Ahrar Al Sham, Faylaq al Raham, Soukou al Sham, etc.... After the full escalation of the Syrian protests into sectarian civil war.

That's pretty fucking gross. He was a civilian.

I've met contractors before, most of them conduct maintenance for American forces hardware, that's aiding an occupational force to maintain it's occupation, he was an asset to them. Much like Blackwater guys are also contractors.

Someone that lives there and actually knows what's going on and how the people feel?

And as someone that also lives here, the fact that you want the country that starved 500,000 Iraqis back, caused untold misery and death, I'd say that's a pretty fucking stupid idea.

I don't think elections in a country corrupted to the root mean much, during Saddam's rule he was winning with 99% of the votes, do you think that was an indication of the people's will? but even if you consider them legit then the people's perception and mindset have changed for the better this year and no longer welcome Iran and their supporters.

Where, pray tell, do these Iranian groups get their numbers from then? If they're such a minority then surely surely, a populace as heavily armed as the Iraqi would've overrun the Green Zone by now and ended the PMU's? No? I didn't think so. These PMU's are Iraqis, they are from this country, from Baghdad, Basra, Samara, Um Qasr, not from Iran.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Regardless of your opinion on the US being in Iraq is, fact is that the US is currently in Iraq at the invitation of the Iraqi government. What you're doing right here is nothing short of condoning terrorism.