• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
On Instagram, I've seen too many people who were in Miami a few weeks ago and now are in other parts of the country.

It doesn't make any sense.
Granted i am too poor to travel, but i don't even go to the grocery store unless it is totally necessary. Covid don't care

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell... How is this allowed?
The fun thing about big corporations, is the people at the head offices can make a decision, and make a ton more money than their front line workers (in this situation, flight attendants), and don't have to deal with any of the dangers directly, so they don't care.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Does capacity really matter when you're all confined in a small area, breathing the same recycled air for hours on end?
Yeah this is what I'm wondering. From what we know about indoor transmission I would just default to the assumption that if even one person on the flight is a carrier (especially if they're a super spreader), everyone in the same cabin is likely to get infected. Masks might reduce that somewhat but I still wouldn't want to be breathing the same air for several hours.

IIRC, the recycled cabin air passes through N95 filters, so it's cleaner than other indoor air. Still doesn't excuse masks or social distancing though.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Happy I have a booking with Southwest. They seem to slightly care compared to the other American airlines.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is what I'm wondering. From what we know about indoor transmission I would just default to the assumption that if even one person on the flight is a carrier (especially if they're a super spreader), everyone in the same cabin is likely to get infected. Masks might reduce that somewhat but I still wouldn't want to be breathing the same air for several hours.

You have people who were in a flight with people who are positive but they did not got infected.
Plus an good EPA filter will filter out the air before putting it back on the cabin.

Oct 25, 2017
Are they at least doing temperature checks?

To be honest the distance between seats is such that it likely doesn't matter. A few hours at a 3 foot distance is probably no less infectious than a few hours at 1 foot. Only masks are going to save you at that range.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's more complicated than that. Passangers are breathing 50/50 outside air and hepa-filtered inside air. So social distancing would help for sure.

Ah well then this is going to make things worse because I doubt the people who don't care enough to fly on packed flights are also the type to self-quarantine upon landing.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
"Because fuck it, might as well..." is pretty much the new policy for many companies / businesses.

If acting responsibly isn't mandated on a large, national, scale - then acting in such a way is only going to be detrimental for those who do.

What a shitshow.

Yeah my fellow Americans have proven time and time again that they give no fucks about what's in their best interests and in the best interests of other citizens. They cannot and will not save themselves.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Does anybody or these companies know how to read a graph? Good god what shitty timing

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I went outside today to take care of a few things and nobody was wearing a mask, people are acting like it's over so i'm not surprised.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Are they at least doing temperature checks?

To be honest the distance between seats is such that it likely doesn't matter. A few hours at a 3 foot distance is probably no less infectious than a few hours at 1 foot. Only masks are going to save you at that range.
What the hell are you talking about? Seats are inches next to each other laterally and 2-3 feet from head to head in coach. What are you comparing a few hours at 1 foot?

In case you don't know, covid spreads more when the atmospheric pressure is lower, which is absolutely true in an airplane, which makes the being canned like sardines in a plane is absolutely going to spread the virus.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Looks like the new planet of the apes trilogy is pretty realistic afterall.
Decades of science fiction warning us to Not Do The Thing is powerless against the almighty dollar and the opportunities for corporations to make even of a fraction of a cent in profit. We're all gonna die because of capitalism lmao. Nothing new, the wheels have long since been off.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite obvious that these airline companies do not give a shit about their customers. That's why you won't be seeing me ride on a plane any time soon. If I had to travel for some reason, I would drive it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody or these companies know how to read a graph? Good god what shitty timing

That's precisely what they're doing, it's just they're reading their own graph of how long they have before they're in real financial trouble.

I'm not agreeing with what they're doing, but they're losing money on flights were they can't sell the middle seats.

Someone coughing or sneezing, regardless of someone sitting in the middle seat can infect someone up to 2 rows in front or behind them.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I hate people. Like they have no care for their fellow men and women. Its all about them only, screw everyone else.

"I'm so bored at home" smh. Imagine a nuclear blast going off and these morons wanting still to go to ground zero to eat at a restaurant, get haircuts and socialize. I can imagine now.

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019

The only graphs they care about is revenue/profits.

That's precisely what they're doing, it's just they're reading their own graph of how long they have before they're in real financial trouble.

American got a $5.8 billion dollar bailout (and applying for another $4.75 billion) and United got $5.0 billion. In just a couple of months that money is just...gone?

Sauce

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I'm not agreeing with what they're doing, but they're losing money on flights were they can't sell the middle seats.

Someone coughing or sneezing, regardless of someone sitting in the middle seat can infect someone up to 2 rows in front or behind them.
I still can't believe that airlines have had to continue operating most of their routes and schedules as normal. At the same time, if they're seeing a need to reopen middle seats, I guess that means there has been demand for flights still to the point planes are being fully booked still?

Oct 25, 2017
Funny that I just saw this on reddit rn
0qpx06778o751.jpg

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh and I have a 350 credit on American from a flight that I canceled in April. They refuse to give me a refund.

Oct 26, 2017
Genuine question but is social distancing even effective on a commercial airplane? Or possible for that matter? Seems like a fool's errand to prevent spread on an airplane, and my wife's work has cancelled any flight plans for at least the rest of the year.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Based on my sister's experiences earlier this month, they've already been booking to full capacity.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Look... if you are flying, you are in danger to begin with. They just figure, why not make more money off of these people that don't want to stay home.

the best thing about this disease for companies is that you can't pin point where exactly you get infected. You can guess, but you can't say with 100 percent certainty.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
My sister is a flight attendant. This shit sucks and it sucks she doesnt get health coverage that she doesnt have to pay entirely out of pocket for. What a shit decision.

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
and now they are on my boycott list, Going to ask HR to book all future flights with other airlines.. this means they will lose about 200 flights a year from our company. thanks for letting me know how important your travelers are for you, united and aa!

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I went outside today to take care of a few things and nobody was wearing a mask, people are acting like it's over so i'm not surprised.

Same (UK). Went grocery shopping today, very few people wearing masks and Tesco seems to have eased up on the number of people inside the shop. Not only is less physical space making it harder to distance, but it seems alot of people simply don't give a fuck anymore. If I didn't know better I would think covid has been eradicated and I missed the memo.

Never in my life have I felt like I'm fighting a losing battle to this degree.

Last edited:

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be worst case scenario.
No.
Stop thinking that.
Worse case scenario, given the 70% threshold for herd immunity and 0.5% probable death rate, is a million deaths, PLUS hospital overcrowding, which could get the death rate up by as much as 5x, netting 5m deaths.

That's what giving up on managing coronavirus means.