• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
ffs "never ceases"
Forgot never lol

So I'm just reading the comments on Eminem's Darkness on youtube

It's scary at the amount of Americans who get super defensive and protected of their guns, saying they need them for the big bad guys and it's their god given right to bare arms!

These people like getting religion in there a lot to help their defence or something

To the rest of the World we do okay without them and to me the idea of I could just buy a gun RN is so alien

I'm no expert but it doesn't look like this problem can ever be addressed peacefully without creating a

So to the Era Americans is it fair to say most of people you know will go on defence mode if you even hint at the idea of gun laws? Or is just the vocal part of internet making their god given voice heard seem more than it is?

Oct 27, 2017
It's a problem that likely can never be solved. Most developed nations have younger constitutions, and thus more modern views surrounding modern weapons. The US has a very old constitution, and it's become impossible to change it due to the weight of history and the reverence (wrongly) placed on people from hundreds of years ago.

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
American society as a whole needs to change, not gun laws. Gun laws won't accomplish anything at thjs point.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Both a vocal minority or not depending on what the law you propose is. Most are ok with more background checks, perhaps closing the gun show loophole but you lose most gun owners if you want to go further, and in reality further we need to go.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I live in the south and you can have the nicest person in the world but when gun control is brought up they go onto full defense mode like some sort of republican android. It never ceases to amaze me either tbh. You have to understand guns are a part of these people's personality, so when you affront "much guns" they take it as a personal attack.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Most of them have that take it from my cold dead hands mindset.

The worst thing is that they are lying to themselves every time there is an active shooter, deluding themselves into thinking more guns equals safety, when history has repeatedly proved this is not the case.

OP
OP
Irishmantis

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Most of them have, take it from my cold dead hands mindset.

The worst thing is that they are lying to themselves every time there is an active shooter, deluding themselves into thinking more guns equals safety, when history has repeatedly proved this is not the case.
Scary thing is

Usually that phrase is used in a hyperbolic manner but I feel it's literal for this case

I imagine if any of the candidates suggests the action of making it harder obtain/guns running for president it be career suicide

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
It's a hard rabbit to put back in the hat at this point.
But many problems in the US won't get solved until NRA is destroyed.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Don't know if you saw, I posted this earlier, but it didnt gain a lot of traction. The comments section really is something. Americans don't give a fuck if innocent people die, they want to buy their boomsticks.

I really don't get the logic either.
"It's to protect us from bad guys with guns" - What about if NOBODY had guns?
"It's to protect us from rogue governments" - You've got one, and their people have all the guns, also this rogue govt has missiles, drones and bigger guns.
They also keep attacking the rapper for being from a country (UK) once burnt witches. They sure are worried about Witch Hunts. Almost as if.........No, it oculdn't be.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Scary thing is

Usually that phrase is used in a hyperbolic manner but I feel it's literal for this case

I imagine if any of the candidates suggests the action of making it harder obtain/guns running for president it be career suicide
Whenever someone does Republicans threaten to murder them.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'd like to think it's not so much guns are "popular" here (though relatively speaking, they obvs are) as much as NRA/lobbyists have congress by the balls and when the GOP went crazy (if you're old enough to remember the Reagan/Clinton eras, it wasn't always this bad) it was one of the cultural touchstones they impaled themselves on, guns = freedom, liberty, ect and obama/hillary/deep state are out to get you

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
What about if NOBODY had guns?

Their argument for that will ALWAYS be: "Well there are so many guns in circulation already, banning them now won't do any good because then only the 'bad guys' will have them."

"It's to protect us from rogue governments" - You've got one, and their people have all the guns, also this rogue govt has missiles, drones and bigger guns.
They also keep attacking the rapper for being from a country (UK) once burnt witches. They sure are worried about Witch Hunts. Almost as if.........No, it oculdn't be.

There is NO convincing those people that they're whackos. Have you seen the "militias" that go out and "train" for that power fantasy event where they have to mobilize and take on that "tyrannical" government?? Lol.

This is about 24 minutes, and well worth the watch to get an idea of how these morons think.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Not sure on the American fixation on Gun, it could be because it seems relativly easy to get such a dangerous tool, and no manditory training is needed to handle such a dangerous tool that has only one purpose.

Here in Taiwan, most abled man of 18+ will get military training, so get some gun safety training while in the military.
And it is legal to own gun, but majority of citizen don't see the need to, mainly professional policeman, military person, and aboriginal that live in the hunter apply for it.

We also have bad guy with gun, like the Triad...and other gang, but it's not a reason to own such a dangerous tool.
And law and rule should be in place for owning them.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
American obsession with guns and how easily available they are has always been super fucked up to me.

I mean, I can almost(ALMOST) understand the idea of a handgun or something at home for self defense in case of intruders, but why in the name of god would civilians ever need to be allowed access to military grade weapons like assault rifles? Is an army likely to storm their house or something?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As an American, I've never really gotten it, either. I had my teenage boy phase where I was all about might-makes-right mindset and delighted myself over videogame guns but I've never felt the desire to own one. I was raised in a military family, too, which makes it even odder that I kinda missed the memo on how much I'm supposed to love guns.

My dad, who spent 25 years in the US military, didn't even own one until his house was hit with burglary, and him buying it felt so sad — not just for me, but he didn't seem to like it either. He didn't even really keep it in a very accessible place, even wtihout kids in the house anymore. And it was just a small little revolver, not any form of long gun or even a prominent type of pistol though obviously it would still do a regrettable amount of damage if it had to be used.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
So to the Era Americans is it fair to say most of people you know will go on defence mode if you even hint at the idea of gun laws? Or is just the vocal part of internet making their god given voice heard seem more than it is?
The big problem is that "gun control" is a massive open statement. Most people are open to some degree of gun control (background checks, small waiting periods ect.), but in general it usually doesnt stop there (its always "the starting point" for a lot of pro gun control people) which makes a lot of people hesitant to agree on any control at all in fear of what it may (and most likely will) lead to. Background checks leads to red flag laws which leads to magazine limits which leads to assault weapon bans which leads to licensing which leads to registration and the list just keeps going. This has always been the case in the now heavy gun control states which started out pretty loose as any other state but now have 100+ gun laws in their books. If something happens its usually a case to throw on another half dozen laws.

Their argument for that will ALWAYS be: "Well there are so many guns in circulation already, banning them now won't do any good because then only the 'bad guys' will have them."
In terms of the "bad guys" this can potentially be true in this day and age. Most firearm homicides (and technically mass shootings) tend to be gang and drug related which typically have a lot of cash on hand. Cash that can be used to procure firearms from all over and not just ones that are already in the system, but ones that can be made. We live in the era of the internet which makes finding out how to do anything incredibly easy. 3d printing is taking off, cnc machines are getting cheaper and cheaper, common materials are getting cheaper and stronger per year, you have polymer 80's and 80% receivers already being out there. Going forward if someone really wants a gun, they are going to get it and if they have to go that extra mile it may actually lead to worse outcomes considering its technically easier to make a machine gun than a semi-auto.

That said tighter restrictions could cut down on most other types of gun deaths. Suicides, accidents, heat of the moment type incidents, school shootings ect. Some of those like suicides and domestic incidents arnt a guarantee, but you could save a decent chunk of them. However another problem persists in that of personal protection. Criminals are not just going to give up their guns in the several decades it would take for those 300-500million guns already in circulation to dry up and it might not make a difference either way with how much easier its going to be to make them. So with that criminals are largely going to still have what they have while making it more difficult for average people to get them. Even without the firearm aspect the US is still an immensely violent nation in every regard with something like a 2-3x non-firearm related homicide rate compared to the UK. Giving a 110lbs women less options to defend her self or children, the more elderly, younger teens, people with physical conditions and just anyone who may not be able to properly fend off a physical attacker (especially when something like 40% of home invasions include more than one perpitrator), less options could very well lead to more problems down the road.

IMO pandoras box is already open. The best way to tackle gun violence is to tackle the reasons people turn to wanting to pick up a gun. Better/easier mental and physical healthcare options, tigher wage gaps with better job security, helping intercity communities, more emphasis on fathers in the homes and even putting more of an emphasis on proper firearm safety (adds and notices, free or funded safety classes ect.). As long as guns are around there will always be some level of gun violence, but theoretically you wouldnt even need to touch anything about them to treat a significant portion of the problem.

Nick

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this will be as civil as the circumcision thread. All we need next is tipping.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
American obsession with guns and how easily available they are has always been super fucked up to me.

I mean, I can almost(ALMOST) understand the idea of a handgun or something at home for self defense in case of intruders, but why in the name of god would civilians ever need to be allowed access to military grade weapons like assault rifles? Is an army likely to storm their house or something?

Most of those people are living in fantasy land as well. For safety reasons, you SHOULD be keeping your gun(s) unloaded and in a safe, or at least a locked cabinet (and if you have kids and don't do this, you're a complete fucking idiot). So an intruder breaks into the house. You then have to make your way over to the safe or cabinet, unlock it, take the gun out, load it, and THEN go confront the intruder.

Doesn't work out that well most of the time. And it has been shown that in a good percentage of these intrusions, the gun is turned against the gun owner anyway.

The best home defenses to prevent intrusions would be: Alarm systems, Security camera systems (make these visible), and/or a Big Ass Dog. These things are either visible or loud, and are therefore proactive. A gun is reactive.

...And I say all of that as an actual gun owner.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, the whole gun worship thing is incredibly weird. I mean after each mass shooting you hear a lot of people say they don't want guns to be taken away cause then only the bad guys have guns. Just whaaaat... Do these people envision themselves as some gunslinger heroes who are at all times ready to gun down a mass shooter?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Sport shooting and hunting during heavily regulated hunting seasons are the only legitimate reasons for owning a firearm, and because of this all guns besides single shot rifles should be banned

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
It's really the difference between those who live in fear and those who don't. Gun nuts live in fear. People who don't base their life decisions on fear are not likely to desire a gun.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a gun owner but I certainly don't use my weapons for home defense. I like to hunt. I support things like background checks and bans on big magazines and automatic weapons. That said, I see enough people on the side of gun control calling for eventual bans on all firearms that I do worry of the "slippery" slope.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Most of those people are living in fantasy land as well. For safety reasons, you SHOULD be keeping your gun(s) unloaded and in a safe, or at least a locked cabinet (and if you have kids and don't do this, you're a complete fucking idiot). So an intruder breaks into the house. You then have to make your way over to the safe or cabinet, unlock it, take the gun out, load it, and THEN go confront the intruder.

Doesn't work out that well most of the time. And it has been shown that in a good percentage of these intrusions, the gun is turned against the gun owner anyway.

The best home defenses to prevent intrusions would be: Alarm systems, Security camera systems (make these visible), and/or a Big Ass Dog. These things are either visible or loud, and are therefore proactive. A gun is reactive.

...And I say all of that as an actual gun owner.

A lot of these people don't think like that because they're itching for someone to come busting through their door so they can live out a fantasy.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I kind of get it?

When you think of how America began, and grew, and developed. Carrying firearms is intrinsic to the place as a fundamentally aggressive and invasive venture. The place was foreign and hostile, and the settlers needed to protect themselves from wildlife, natives, and each other; in amongst vast expanses of lawless space.

That kind of snowballed, later, into pride in independence and and the responsibility of looking after one's own. It's common to mock the modern appeals to 'bootstraps', but there again I feel there was originally something quite valid and contextually necessary going on.

However these ideals have now gone the 'religion' route of becoming culturally enshrined and intellectually unassailable - so now I really couldn't say how the population could un-tree themselves.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these people don't think like that because they're itching for someone to come busting through their door so they can live out a fantasy.
The thing they don't think about is any halfway competent assailant wouldn't just come busting in like that. The assailant would attack when they have the advantage, so all the posing in the mirror with their tricked out AR does nothing for them when they get clipped walking to the mailbox after work.

Oct 28, 2017
I've considered getting one "just in case" for home defense but never have. I have friends who love to hunt also. My uncle is an NRA nut.

Idk man. Shootings are outta control also

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The thing they don't think about is any halfway competent assailant wouldn't just come busting in like that. The assailant would attack when they have the advantage, so all the posing in the mirror with their tricked out AR does nothing for them when they get clipped walking to the mailbox after work.

The issue is that these people have been so conditioned to be afraid of everything, including their own shadow. They need someone or something to be afraid of, and a lot of that is introduced to them by the media they consume. It's a self repeating cycle of stupidity. They don't want to think about it, they want to react. Logic doesn't work on them because they don't want to hear it.

I had to go with my dad down to my aunt's yesterday and had to be subject to his stupid right wing podcasts. Dumbass host was going off about the anti-gun laws in Virginia and was calling for a second Civil War to start. It took all my willpower not to smash my head into the car window.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This country will never allow their guns to be taken away, and no one will take them away. It's too embedded into our culture.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Brainwashing, greed, corruption, aggressive capitalism, the list goes on. I also think there's a very deep-rooted element to the American psyche because of how the country was formed - genocide of indigenous people, built on the backs of slaves - of course there's a primal fear of an unknown enemy, they WERE that unknown enemy, they did it, so they know it's at least possible even if utterly unlikely to happen to them. Whether scared of retribution or an outside threat, that fear and guilt is the bedrock of the nation.

Last edited:

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
It's fear
The more guns there around the more people want guns to defend from those with guns and so on and so on

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

what amazes me that I've read interviews with soldiers (people who are trained to kill) and found shooting a weapon at a living person one of the most difficult things they have ever had to do. But no, Hank from around the corner will be ready when the moment comes and save the day I suppose.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
what amazes me that I've read interviews with soldiers (people who are trained to kill) and found shooting a weapon at a living person one of the most difficult things they have ever had to do. But no, Hank from around the corner will be ready when the moment comes and save the day I suppose.

Hank from around the corner plays Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and has a 2.3 : 1 KDR.

Hank from around the corner belongs to his local gun club, and can hit a stationary target semi-accurately from 5 yards away.

Hank from around the corner has seen "The Purge" at least 30 times.

...Hank is ready, baby.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

I was in the military for 12 years, deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan and I'm so glad I never found myself in that situation.

A lot of these people think they'll just become John Wick the second they need to and everything will be good.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
As much as the US still fetishizes guns, the NRA has lost alot of its influence (due to reports of their ties with Russia), and the majority of Americans are in favor in stricter gun control laws. I believe change will come, it's just gonna take a long time.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
A large number of gun owners I know here in the US are into guns mainly because they can be into guns, if that makes sense. It's like a sort of "use it or lose it" mentality, which I totally don't understand. Also, a good chunk of them are trolls. They know how unnecessary most, if not all, guns are, but they cling to the 2nd Amendment just to piss off anti-gun people they know. It's a total mess.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You couldn't be more wrong Lisa. If I didn't have this gun, the King of England could just walk in here any time he wants and start shoving you around. Do you want that? (Pokes Lisa) Huh? (Shoves her) Do ya!?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sleep with a gun on my nightstand, if the government wants to take my guns, then buy them back.

Interestingly enough, I can't buy ammo in California because my firearms are registered at multiple addresses, but I do have a CCW.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I personally dont think Sanders or Warren would sit on their hands on this issue, executive orders for positive change at the very least if they cant pass bills.

Biden and moderates will just stick with their decades old talking points about how "it's too hard"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's really frustrating how "fun" and "it's my hobby" gets wrapped up in all of it. Firearms should be treated as a tool, and a tool that not everyone needs. People should not be entitled to own something so objectively dangerous without a good reason, and that reason shouldn't be "well I like shooting".

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I love knowing I have my guns in case shit goes down. I actually purchased a new gun after our last big hurricane because I saw how society started to get with just one week with out electricity and gas.

I'm all for more gun laws, I'm all for more checks and tests and making it harder for people not of sound mine to have them.

The only thing I'm not for is taking them away.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm a gun owner but I certainly don't use my weapons for home defense. I like to hunt. I support things like background checks and bans on big magazines and automatic weapons. That said, I see enough people on the side of gun control calling for eventual bans on all firearms that I do worry of the "slippery" slope.
as slippery as the slope of allowing semi automatic rifles and having dozens of mass shootings every year?
I love knowing I have my guns in case shit goes down. I actually purchased a new gun after our last big hurricane because I saw how society started to get with just one week with out electricity and gas.

I'm all for more gun laws, I'm all for more checks and tests and making it harder for people not of sound mine to have them.

The only thing I'm not for is taking them away.
No one ever has and ever will take your guns. Even if the guns you have are banned, no one will come and take them. That's not how it works.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
A lot of people just need to feel like they have some worth, and the delusion that they could kill someone provides them with it.

Plus they can even spin it as it being to protect themselves. It's like a bandaid for insecurity, if bandaids could murder.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
as slippery as the slope of allowing semi automatic rifles and having dozens of mass shootings every year?

No one ever has and ever will take your guns. Even if the guns you have are banned, no one will come and take them. That's not how it works.
If a model of gun I had was banned I would turn it in. I would just replace it with a gun that was legal. That's the difference between me and those other people that are fucking scary about it.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
If a model of gun I had was banned I would turn it in. I would just replace it with a gun that was legal. That's the difference between me and those other people that are fucking scary about it.
Even if you held onto it no one would come and take it from you. A ban would either be, illegal to sell (most likely) or illegal to own (unlikely). If it were illegal to own your gun, again, no one would try and take it from you. You would simply have an illegal item at your house. If a cop happened to be at your house for an unrelated reason and happened to see your illegal gun and know it was illegal, they might just take it from you. Like that's literally the most plausible scenario of someone from the government taking your gun if you weren't out in public brandishing it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Get money out of politics, aka stop legal bribery of politicians and magically the NRA loses all power to purchase legislation regardless of the will of the people.

The vast majority of Americans support smarter and more effective gun laws implemented in good faith with the goal of actually reducing crime.

I'm always going to be a gun owner but I don't mind the process being improved to keep guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them such as criminals, people with mental issues, etc.