• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
San Bernandino being the most dangerous place in Southern California makes so much sense.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Detroit represent... wait a minute.

I'm actually surprised Detroit is still ranked at #1. Seemed to have gotten much better in the past few years I've visited back home.
Eh, it still sucks when you turn the news on the morning and hear the daily "murder in Eastside/west detroit " when waiting for the damn weather. Detroit is depressing to hear about and I live in Clinton Township (used to live in warren) But detroit is getting better, just went to an anime con at the TCF center(aka Cobo hall)

Oct 29, 2017
Is it me, but or a lot of these "lists" normally are excuses to pile on majority black cities? I would like to see this list if they took out the unemployment rates.

Nov 8, 2017
The Ford Field, Comerica Park, Little Ceasars Arena are of Detroit is coming together nicely. The residential areas are still heart breaking to look at. I just drove through the west side today, and there are nicer parts in Djibouti, Africa than west side Detroit.

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
Wow, I never thought my old home town Modesto would be on there. I know Stockton is bad, but Modesto? I'm surprised Fresno or Bakersfield never made the list.

Veiwtiful

Oct 28, 2017
My city of Shreveport just barely squeaking in at 50. There are a few rough places here but I've never felt like this town was a particularly dangerous area.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Miami native and I'm shocked West Palm Beach is on the list and Miami isn't. I guess we've reduced our crime levels?
I've lived in Miami for 1.5 years now and I have seen no violent crime and I work in one of the lower-income areas. I see random crazy stories from news sources, but they seem to be outliers rather than the norm (and mostly in the burbs). South Beach, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, (parts of) Downtown, and even Wynwood now all feel pretty safe even if there are some random homeless camps.

Oct 27, 2017
my hometown was probably a bit too small to be considered for this list, but it has a 1262 violent crime rate. i eventually moved to new orleans with a 1163.3 so pretty comparable really, similar poverty rates too. i always thought it was this sleepy little town, and i grew up mostly in shitty apartment complexes. i guess you just get used to it if it's always been around. i know people from my hometown were like "i'd never move to new orleans dude, you're going to get shot" and i'm remembering all the shit that went on over the years there.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I live in Modesto and visit Stockton regularly... I don't see them as particularity dangerous. Maybe I'm just use to the environment.

I lived in Turlock for about a decade before moving out awhile ago and yeah, you really gain an appreciation for what a shithole that whole area is after experiencing something better.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Wow. Atlanta has moved up (as in improved) a lot since I grew up there. Used to be it and New Orleans competed year after year for top spot (for that matter looks like New Orleans improved to but it's still on the list).

Hell, when I was in college I remember a kid got shot visiting Atlanta for freaknik (I think that was the name of the event ) who was from Detroit and his mom lamenting she told him not to go to Atlanta cause it was dangerous.

And I knew Tacoma was crappy but didn't realize it was also dangerous too.

Jan 16, 2019
Wow, I never thought my old home town Modesto would be on there. I know Stockton is bad, but Modesto? I'm surprised Fresno or Bakersfield never made the list.

I live in Modesto, there's some really nice pockets and neighborhoods

but it's pretty bad in a lot of areas, very fortunate to be in a good part of town

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why does NY need so many damn Superheroes if it can't even make the Top 50???

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Funny I am actually going to Buffalo ny in two weeks to visit a friend, well just the airport my friend lives in Lancaster.

Rosen

Oct 25, 2017
Along with a pretty dramatic population decline, probably keeps that per capita rate high.
That is very true, Detroit is now out of debt as well which brings some improvements to the crime statistics. Blight removal of the abandoned properties may yield improvements in the crime rate. Though it is rather systemic, especially if the same mistakes are repeated.
What a strange outlier Anchorage is. Look at the poverty rate compared to the rest of the list. What's going on there?
Poverty itself is a complicated issue it's not the sole cause of crime or even a direct on but can play a role in it. Growing Up Poor: Examining the Link Between Persistent Childhood Poverty and Delinquency, explains it in far greater detail. As for Anchorage I couldn't find anything which specifically gives the crime rates there. Here's an article which goes over crime in Alaska based on DPS and FBI reports.
Is it me, but or a lot of these "lists" normally are excuses to pile on majority black cities? I would like to see this list if they took out the unemployment rates.
The methodology for this article is as follows:
24/7 Wall Street said:
To identify the most dangerous city in each state, 24/7 Wall St. examined the FBI's 2017 Uniform Crime Report, extracting violent crime data for all U.S. cities with populations of 20,000 or more. We examined each state's figures for murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault, offenses that comprise the violent crime category. We also reviewed FBI figures for burglaries, larceny, motor vehicle thefts, and arson, all classified as property crimes. Annual unemployment rates for each city and state came from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics figures for 2018. Data on poverty rates, median household income, and educational attainment rates came from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates for 2013-2017.

Unemployment plays a part in the crime rate. Due to documented inequalities in the way the US works when it comes to crime you are going to see the same or similar cities on these lists. Social factors as highlighted below:

The gap between Whites and Blacks in levels of violence has animated a prolonged and controversial debate in public health and the social sciences. Our study reveals that over 60% of this gap is explained by immigration status, marriage, length of residence, verbal/reading ability, impulsivity, and neighborhood context. If we focus on odds ratios rather than raw coefficients, 70% of the gap is explained. Of all factors, neighborhood context was the most important source of the gap reduction and constitutional differences the least important.

This paper Social Anatomy of Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Violence by Sampson et al is based on Chicago but the points still apply to the rest of the US.

You could take out the employment but that is only removing an aspect of the socioeconomic issues which impact crime rates.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Philly is only 40th. Being #2 in murders I would've pushed it higher on the list.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Surprised to see Buffalo as #26. I was there last month and it was a really chill city with very friendly people. You can't image crime going on there.

Mad_Titan86

Banned
Nov 4, 2019
Surprised Detroit is still so high on the list. I'll be in Detroit this weekend for a funeral and to go see Tool, and now I'll probably be thinking of this statistic the whole time.