• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
This is it. This is where the $5,000 gaming PC myth comes from! It's all true.

www.pcworld.com

Threadripper 3990X review roundup: AMD’s 64-core CPU can play Crysis, but it’s not for everyone

The first reviews of AMD's insane 64-core Threadripper 3990X show a CPU that's in a performance class by itself, but it's not for everyone, and it has some distinct limitations as well.
But can it run Crysis?! Glad you asked. Besides showing the chip easily ripping through rendering tests, Linus Sebastian of Linus Tech Tips shows the CPU is actually capable of running Crysis. And no, we don't mean running Crysis on a GPU in the system with Threadripper 3990X, we mean, actually running Crysis rendered in software mode ON THE CPU. It's an amazing feat worth watching.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
FYI this isn't the game running on some form of iGPU like many might assume. This is the game running entirely in software what that means is the CPU cores are doing the GPU calculations.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
3or0y3.jpg

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What settings tho?

Crysis is a game that only should be played with all max settings. And on Delta difficulty.

Crysis Delta: 11/10

Crysis Delta > Your favorite game

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
This was basicaly Ken Kutaragi's wish for CELL and PS3 wasn't it? Well, insomuch that the CPU and GPU would be the same architecture wise.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 years ago if someone said that AMD would have the best HEDT processor by a country mile I would have laughed by ass of and called in the mental institutions.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
So hyped for the Ryzen 4000. Hope that the 4700X will have the same price as the 3700X.

Amd doing so many things right now.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
But can it run Cyberpunk 2077?

Lol!

Seriously though, that's an impressive feat - but I would like to know what settings Crysis is being run at. To be truly impressive, it would have to be at all max settings.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This was basicaly Ken Kutaragi's wish for CELL and PS3 wasn't it? Well, insomuch that the CPU and GPU would be the same architecture wise.

This is just making me wish we could have gotten the Kutaragi PS4 and PS5 instead of the Cerny versions. And that's no disrespect to Cerny, I just don't care for the PS4 from a hardware perspective.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
3950X is still best for general performance though. Also don't try using Windows server on one of these monsters Microsoft charges Windows server licenses by the core.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
3950X is still best for general performance though. Also don't try using Windows server on one of these monsters Microsoft charges Windows server licenses by the core.
Yeah, but they don't charge much from my experience. At least it's cost me less to buy server licenses for 2019 than previous versions. The minimum you can buy is 16 cores at once (even if your server has less than that) and that is costing me half as much as I used to pay.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Well it doesn't seem it is using all cores when running Crysis in software mode, probably you would get the same result on a 3950x

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, but they don't charge much from my experience. At least it's cost me less to buy server licenses for 2019 than previous versions. The minimum you can buy is 16 cores at once (even if your server has less than that) and that is costing me half as much as I used to pay.

Scaling based on known 32 core licenses (Microsoft won't give direct pricing on core counts that high without calling) it would could around $7000 for 64 cores standard license or nearly $20,000 for a data center license.

Last edited: