• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its interesting. The smoke is ridiculous on this, and yet I still see people handwaving everything away....

The leaked benches we have been seeing for months? Ignore that. This review, ignore that too. The benches they showed on stage and real time? Ignore those too. Means nothing.

I feel like the NDA is going to lift, a bunch of reviews are going to say the obvious about this chip and its big brothers and people are still gonna be "Yeah well, means nothing really, let's wait a year and see how things settle".

Seems to be a lot of resistance to what is clearly a shift in the winds. I don't think Ive ever seen someone intro a product that performs on par with their competitions part that cost TWICE AS MUCH and have a thread of people going "is that all?"....

Lol. Going to be a real interesting summer in the PC space.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The AMD fanboys have become unbearable here frankly. Spreading FUD, misinformation, stretching the truth, and attacking users who say anything rational.

But, that's a good midrange chip! Still wouldn't recommend anyone pick up anything less than 8 cores today.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the last 10+ years or even more the CPU market was dominated by Intel and the absolutely insane Sandy Bridge i5 2500K basically was where Intel made a big jump and showed the world what a good CPU, especially for that price, should look like. I actually still use the [email protected] to this day.
And ever since then Intel was better in the CPU segment and always better in the single core performance.

We will see what the 8c/16t models do (3700X and 3800X) and the direct competitor the 3900X with 12c/24t.

I feel confident and positive about Ryzen 3000 and since the 9900K is power hungry and hot (and to a degree expensive) I have no real interest in intel, because they are a little bit too stingy for what they give us.

I will probably buy an 3700X and increase the power limit and maybe get a slight overclock out of it. Games scale pretty well with additional frequency from CPUs and if the 3600 review from today is any indication then I think the higher end models will give us a very close race between Intel and AMD. The most exciting one is going to be 9900K vs 3900X because both are $499.
Considering the 3600 is like 4.2GHZ max turbo and the 3900X is 4.6GHZ I bet we are going to see a 10% jump (probably even more than that because you have 2x the amount of cores/threads).

But I think it also needs to be said that there are still valid reasons to buy Intel. Lets say you have a good CPU cooler and a z390 motherboard (or whatever works well with the 9900K) then I guess it is cheaper to go 9900K than buy a new X570 + Ryzen CPU.

Only thing that bothers me are the X570 prices, even though one might argue that the price is justified, I prefer to spend around 100-150$ on a mainboard because most features are not needed, but X570 seem to start at around $199? it is the cheapest I have seen in leaks.

Sorry my post is getting long. TLDR: Intel in general has a better single core performance yes, but I bet AMD is going to be extremely close. especially on the same-priced-part the 3900X which runs at 4.6GHZ max turbo.

Thanks for all that!

I have a 4690k right now, so either way I'm going to be buying a new mobo and ram. My cooler, which I cant remember the name of now is the typical one everyone recommends for air, so the idea that the 9900 runs hot also puts me off too.

Sounds like the 3600 is the one to keep an eye on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
The AMD fanboys have become unbearable here frankly. Spreading FUD, misinformation, stretching the truth, and attacking users who say anything rational.

But, that's a good midrange chip! Still wouldn't recommend anyone pick up anything less than 8 cores today.
Fucking lol. Reaching a bit there, mate? I mean, yeah, some hyperbole here and there, but FUD, misinformation, stretching the truth and attacking """""rational""""" users? Eh

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Do the majority of non-workstation programs (video editing and such) even use more than 4 cores?
Even if your apps aren't heavily multithreaded to take advantage of 8+ cores, your OS will have more cores to schedule your apps onto, which has performance benefits for them in and of itself.

And web browsers doing process isolation and disabling hyperthreading on their tab processes these days means more cores really improves general web responsiveness.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if your apps aren't heavily multithreaded to take advantage of 8+ cores, your OS will have more cores to schedule your apps onto, which has performance benefits for them in and of itself

I haven't done a complete rig since 2011, I'm still running a Sandy Bridge 2500K 4.5GHz. I have been out of the loop in terms of how well OS's and programs can use the multiple cores they these CPU's have been pumping out. Literally last time I was paying attention the advice was "games don't use more than two cores so don't worry about more than 4"

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I dont get the amd/intel fanboys, they both need each others in order to have a good market for everyone, and yet still, here we are.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is gonna be bad for Intel.

New generation of consoles, people finally building new PCs. Ryzen is gonna be cheap and very competitive.

I don't know why anyone would build an Intel machine.

Well these aren't out until July, so technically right now no reason to think about anything other than Intel. But yeah for the first time in a LONG ass time, it seems like Gaming builds are going to likely be all 3900x and 3950x + NVIDIA GPU's because AMD is still not touching top end 2080ti tier.

Its been so long since I have even had to bother to look in AMDs direction when building. Its crazy.

I haven't done a complete rig since 2011, I'm still running a Sandy Bridge 2500K 4.5GHz. I have been out of the loop in terms of how well OS's and programs can use the multiple cores they these CPU's have been pumping out. Literally last time I was paying attention the advice was "games don't use more than two cores so don't worry about more than 4"

Oh yeah, a lot has changed since then man. And its expected to accelerate from this point onward as well. Next gen consoles will likely be 8 core minimum. The days of "cores don't matter, everything is single thread anyway" is long dead. You definitely want to take it into account when building a PC these days.

I dont get the amd/intel fanboys, they both need each others in order to have a good market for everyone, and yet still, here we are.

For the longest time Intel has been dominating. Its been impossible to tell consumers who just want the top performance within reason from the fanboys for like 8-10 years now. Only now is AMD about to be right at the top, so you'll see a divergence now. Some will just shrug and buy the new chips, others will lose their shit and lash out.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn't say it's universally true but games have gotten a lot better at taking advantage of a lot of cores in the last couple of years.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, not even gonna bother.

You already did, but thanks for editing your original reply from 'fucking lol'. That's a 4chan tier response to criticism. It's the difference between trolling and discussing. I wasn't even thinking of your OP but rather some of the people who have commented in this thread.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
You already did, but thanks for editing your original reply from 'fucking lol'. That's a 4chan tier response to criticism. It's the difference between trolling and discussing. I wasn't even thinking of your OP but rather some of the people who have commented in this thread.
I didn't edit it per se, it was what I was actually trying to post, and since I'm in a phone, I accidentally pressed "the post button". I even did the edit before your response was posted.

But yeah, I can see now why you answered like that.

Last edited:

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for all that!

I have a 4690k right now, so either way I'm going to be buying a new mobo and ram. My cooler, which I cant remember the name of now is the typical one everyone recommends for air, so the idea that the 9900 runs hot also puts me off too.

Sounds like the 3600 is the one to keep an eye on.

Yeah the Ryzen 3600 is going to be a good price/perf CPU for sure, but I think it is very important to put it into perspective to everything you buy (at that time) and not just the CPU compared to other CPUs.
Lets say you buy a $180 mainboard, $150 RAM, $50 CPU cooler and $200 Ryzen 3600 then it would come out at like $580 and if you pick a higher end CPU like the 3700X you would need to pay around $710 which is like 22% more overall and one might think that it might be worth it going from 6c/12t to 8c/16t.

This logic also applies to graphics cards, because truth being told I think lower end cards are oftentimes not really worth it when you buy a new build instead of just upgrading the graphics card. But this only applies if your other components like storage, case, RAM, mainboard, PSU etc. are viewn as static components which would remain the same and only if your budget allows for something better.

Technically speaking it can even happen that an RTX 2080 Ti is better price/perf than an RTX 2060 if you look at the whole build.

But I am drifting off and within a set budget the Ryzen 3600 can definitely make a lot of sense and since it comes with a cooler (I think they said that in the review) you can get a good bang for the buck from it when you pair it with other components that make sense.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, 15% better IPC with better clocks... Yeah, that looks like the performance improvement you'd expect from that. I doubt that the 3600 is much worse in games than a 3700, though.
One of the tests it was litterally the same performance as a 2700X.

I don't expect it to be beating a 9900k but I expect to do better than 2nd gen Ryzen.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Its interesting. The smoke is ridiculous on this, and yet I still see people handwaving everything away....

The leaked benches we have been seeing for months? Ignore that. This review, ignore that too. The benches they showed on stage and real time? Ignore those too. Means nothing.

I feel like the NDA is going to lift, a bunch of reviews are going to say the obvious about this chip and its big brothers and people are still gonna be "Yeah well, means nothing really, let's wait a year and see how things settle".

Seems to be a lot of resistance to what is clearly a shift in the winds. I don't think Ive ever seen someone intro a product that performs on par with their competitions part that cost TWICE AS MUCH and have a thread of people going "is that all?"....

Lol. Going to be a real interesting summer in the PC space.
If you choose to ignore all factual information from multiple sources reality can be whatever you want.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Then buy a X470 or B450 board. Problemo solvedo.

I was thinking about that yeah. I am hoping that the Gigabyte X570 Gaming X is around $160 or so and that would be acceptable for the quality increase of newer boards compared to the older ones.

It is not that I am super upset about it, but in my initial planning I expected to pay around 100-120$ for a mainboard, but times have changed and I am already over the budget for my build I set myself even with sniping deals. Last time I build I got the best possible graphics card on the market for $499.
Nowadays I have to pay over $600 to settle for the "third" best one.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Skeptical since I've never heard of this website, but damn if it's true AMD will have a huge winner, just hope they are also preparing with what Intel will hit back with, definitely want the competition to keep going and not a redo of the FX series era.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Better than the boosted, next-tier 2nd gen CPU? You don't think that's a reasonable upgrade for $130 less?
In the review it translates that there were BIOS issues and the chip couldn't OC so it was doing stock Turbo. Also memory timings/speed of the RAM look like ass since the mem latency is so high.

Basically saying chip wasnt performing at it's full potential.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
In the review it translates that there were BIOS issues and the chip couldn't OC so it was doing stock Turbo. Also memory timings/speed of the RAM look like ass since the men latency is so high.

So, that sounds like good news to me. Pretty high performance for a bottlenecked CPU

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Cool. Now how about comparing it with Intel's current $220 processor, the 9600K, in gaming. (price drops inc)

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think people are seeing the whole picture.

i9-9900k (8c/16t) $488
i7-9700k (8c/8t) $374
i5-9600k (6c/6t) $262
i3-9350k (4c/4t) $173

From Videocardz.com

WohZ9zY.jpg

The Ryzen 3600X with 6c/12t is competing with the i5-9600k without hyperthreading. For users who edit their youtube videos on PC - the Ryzen is going to be great for them - and guess who's going to be telling you its great? Youtubers.

The real steal here is the Ryzen 7 3700X (i question the 65W TDP?) at $329 if the table is correct. It'll be a touch slower than the i9-9900k but its also 2/3rds the price. You might just have to play at 100fps instead of 110fps. The horror of that!

The 3950X is going to blow everything away and I have the feeling every gamer is going to get one as long as single core is close to the i9-9900k.

Now honestly the real use of these Ryzens should be in iMacs and I think the only reason they haven't switched over is because Apple believe the mainstream still wants Intel and it might hurt their sales. Still though if they are as good at marketing as they think they are - this should be a non factor because the Ryzens perform better at just about everything other gaming than the intel. Would get an iMac for video editing in a heartbeat with a Ryzen.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Well I only build PC's for games and I can't see what is so incredible on these benchs.

Amd still suffers with games... Almost same perf than a 6700k(4c) from 2015 ? Really?

I really want to see this ryzen against 9600k

What I see is at least for games with 15% discount there is coming Intel still is the right choice.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying that Intel is still king in this thread when this is the cheapest ryzen 3x00 and while performance is pretty close to the 9900k lmao, we have yet to see the way better ones

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Cinebench scores mean nothing for gaming. I'm still planning on upgrading from a 9600K to a 9900K after the price drops until AMD starts showing some superior gaming benchmarks. Judging from certain benchmarks they have already released, I'm pretty sure most level-headed people know how this is all going to play out.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm...what's the PSU requirement for 1700x? Seems like it's cheaper now than 3600 when it eventually launch.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter which side of the fence you are on, AMD has put pressure on intel and made prices go down while putting emphasis on more cores which will be adopted into game development.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Rip indeed. Finally some competition coming through strong.

Nvidia next hopefully graphics cards prices lately
Been over the roof.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying that Intel is still king in this thread when this is the cheapest ryzen 3x00 and while performance is pretty close to the 9900k lmao, we have yet to see the way better ones

Simply because based on the review posted in this thread, the 3600 6c/12t @4.2GHz all cores is substantially slower than a 8700k 6c/12t @ 4.3GHz all cores. Most of their benchmarks are GPU bound, which makes it look like the 3600 is very close to the 9900k. This review is terrible honestly.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a reason they omitted 8000/9000 series i5 and i7 chips. They wanted to highlight that a $200 cpu is close to a $500 cpu. Can't do that if you show the $220-$260 6 core i5 is still ahead of it, gaming wise.

AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-X470-Juegos-2-410x216.jpg

index.php

index.php

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
In the review it translates that there were BIOS issues and the chip couldn't OC so it was doing stock Turbo. Also memory timings/speed of the RAM look like ass since the mem latency is so high.

Why even post a review then...? I mean based on those numbers it would be losing pretty handily to the 9600k, which would be it's competitor price wise.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a reason they omitted 8000/9000 series i5 and i7 chips. They wanted to highlight that a $200 cpu is close to a $500 cpu. Can't do that if you show the $220-$260 6 core i5 is still ahead of it, gaming wise.

AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-X470-Juegos-2-410x216.jpg

index.php

index.php

Yeah, the comparison is a bit suspect and seems odd. If the price range is $220-$260, though, then we probably should see it compared against the $250 3600X as well, since the $200 3600 would be 9%-23% cheaper.

Regardless, I'd definitely like to see more reviews from more outlets.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
Also these Ryzen chips aren't going to launch at their "suggested retail price". They're going to be selling for $20-40 apiece higher just like retailers did with Intel chips when they came out last October. The 9900K was $530+; the 9700K was $410-420. They can do that because there will be a large demand for them. It will be interesting to see what the supply stock is like.

Retailers have been having fire sales on the Ryzen+ cpus for a few months now, people are super impatient and have been falling for it, and stores still can't get of them.