• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're greatly overestimating the difficulty of adding DLSS to a game. As has been said before, most of these games use TAA, and if you already have that then adding DLSS is apparently very simple - there's no more needing to train the AI for your specific game or anything.

As we have seen with Death Stranding, DLSS can cause distracting trailing artifacts if you are doing any sort of effect that does not supply motion vectors, so it probably isn't free to implement it even if you are already using TAA.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
As we have seen with Death Stranding, DLSS can cause distracting trailing artifacts if you are doing any sort of effect that does not supply motion vectors, so it probably isn't free to implement it even if you are already using TAA.

But surfacing those vectors for the few effects that might not be surfacing them is probably not a huge deal in most cases. My guess is third party plugins might be the cause of most of the issues.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
There are graphically intensive games that aren't also mega-budget AAA productions. VR is a good example, where the high resolution and framerate requirements mean you need powerful hardware, but the audience is smaller so the games are lower budget. It was intriguing to see Nvidia announce DLSS support for VR, but I am curious about whether we see much adoption unless Valve or Facebook are able to build it in at a system level like they do with reprojection.

For smaller budget devs I would imagine it's really going to come down to support in third party engines like Unreal and Unity.

We know unreal will support it, and that's going to be pretty huge, haven't heard anything from unity yet.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

And as we have also seen with Death Stranding, your game will benefit massively in performance and be widely appreciated even in the rare cases where that does happen, so who cares? Especially when as time goes on games including DLSS will have been in development for longer and will likely do better with supplying motion vectors for everything, since they can learn from prior mistakes.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This norm doesn't mean that they would leave behind potential performance.
Depends on how they feel about RT in particular for example.

You also can't have it both ways. Either consoles are setting a baseline and Turing won't struggle with that or it will be outdated sooner than later.
Console level settings isn't something which is the norm for PC gaming so while consoles will provide an RT baseline which even 2060 will likely deal with PC versions of similar games will inevitably target Ampere and RDNA2 top end with their RT implementations - meaning more and better RT usage on "high" and "ultra" settings.

RT is a good tech and if it being available on consoles and every GPU tier in the future doesn't conceive you that it will have broad adoption asap. Than no idea why DLSS being a just a good tech, without a very broad user base makes you think it will have an even faster adoption rate.
Cost of implementation is wildly different.
DLSS is kinda similar to adding SMAA T2x - you need motion vectors (which your game are likely generating anyway for TAA) and that's pretty much it. For such a small effort you're giving a majority of PC GPU userbase (in a sense that NV controls 70-80% of the market and these percentages will eventually have something which support DLSS) some insane performance benefits with small to zero IQ cost.
Adding RT can affect everything starting with basic game design (lighting has an effect on this) through assets creation (optimal BVH generation may require assets refactoring) and obviously renderer. It's some orders of magnitude higher cost of implementation than adding DLSS as a drop-in TAA replacement.
So while consoles supporting RT will obviously mean that it will be comparatively widespread this next gen, the fact that they don't support DLSS doesn't mean much for it's adoption rates in PC releases.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I want to see what happens with DLSS in a game with mods. I guess DLSS lose accuracy?

We will figure out with Cyberpunk 2077 I suppose.

FreshToucan

Feb 11, 2020
Canada
Man, if AMD comes out with a card that does not have a DLSS equivalent, it might be hard to justify going team red.
I mean Nvidia is going to sell a lot of 3070 and 3080. More and more games are going to support DLSS.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see what happens with DLSS in a game with mods. I guess DLSS lose accuracy?

We will figure out with Cyberpunk 2077 I suppose.
DLSS is already game-agnostic. It has no more game-specific training requirements, so no, I don't think DLSS will lose any accuracy with mods.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Buildzoid following up on their previous RDNA 2 video.

Nov 28, 2017
Any idea when this event is taking place, or even a leak? Or is it CES in Jan 2021 for a soft launch of both, Zen 3 and RDNA2, together due to COVID?

I thought Lisa Su confirmed already that their 7NM portfolio for the enthusiast consumer market will release in 2020?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea when this event is taking place, or even a leak? Or is it CES in Jan 2021 for a soft launch of both, Zen 3 and RDNA2, together due to COVID?

I thought Lisa Su confirmed already that their 7NM portfolio for the enthusiast consumer market will release in 2020?
A French tech journalist put out a tweet that Zen 3 might be on store shelves on October 7... which is a Wednesday. Three Wednesdays earlier is September 16, which is right before Ampere is on store shelves, so that might be a valid reveal date, but it could literally be any day now.

Nov 28, 2017
A French tech journalist put out a tweet that Zen 3 might be on store shelves on October 7... which is a Wednesday. Three Wednesdays earlier is September 16, which is right before Ampere is on store shelves, so that might be a valid reveal date, but it could literally be any day now.

Thanks. Really getting tired of these leaks, especially these daily clickbait YouTubers lol

Oct 27, 2017

www.pcgamer.com

AMD remains "on track to launch Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 GPUs in late 2020"

Dr. Lisa Su confirms that new processors and graphics cards are still coming despite the global situation.
AMD's popular CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, has confirmed that despite everything going on across the globe right now, both the new Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 graphics cards are on track for launch later this year.

There should be an event coming soon, Zen 3 firmware updates and rumors are brewing.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Some big power specs and promise of drivers that run great on older titles I like to play sometimes would be a selling point to me. As to DLSS (2.x), I don't think AMD can really compete with it without adding the 4x4 matrix cores Nvidia has but I'd love to be surprised.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what the marque game they'll use to market will be? ACV was already used for their current CPU promo, but there's not much else coming out this fall. Unless we're going all in on fortnite from both of them :|

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what the marque game they'll use to market will be? ACV was already used for their current CPU promo, but there's not much else coming out this fall. Unless we're going all in on fortnite from both of them :|
I don't even know upcoming amd sponsored games

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Wait, but... when are we getting the details about the CPUs.. is that date the release date?